ADVERTISEMENT

Frank Martin has been at Carolina for 8 years and all he has to show for

Just saw this posted on Twitter:

In 29 years in the league, South Carolina has had seven winning SEC seasons. Frank Martin has four of them.

Just food for thought.

...and those four winning SEC seasons have come in the last 5 years. We literally had 3 winning seasons in the SEC in the first 24 years in the conference!! Now 4 in the last 5–pretty good stuff and why Coach Martin isn’t going anywhere.

3rd base Hecklers: you forgot to mention:

-A final Top 5 national ranking in 2017
-A 4-1 NCAA TOURNAMENT record
-4 out of the last 5 seasons with a winning Conference record
-51 wins over a two year period (a school record)

Last edited:
I mean, it's sobering. And they're just facts. I have my opinions and they are certainly fluid (lol), but I'm not going there, so as they used to say on Dragnet: "Just the facts, ma'am."

SEC winning seasons:
Newton had zero in his two years here.
Fogler had two.
Odom had zero (I was surprised by that)
Horn had one
Martin has had four.

Year 8 is not over yet. Frank spent his first 3 years dragging this team out of the deepest hole this program has ever been in. Frank develops talent and he has finally hit on multiple freshman who have contributed early. We are a bubble team with a bunch of freshman/sophomores and one senior. If we beat Vandy we will most likely finish 4th in the conference way above the analysts expectations. Win 2 in the SEC tournament and we should make the dance. Frank isn’t going anywhere and Tanner want hire anyone better!

Year 8 is not over yet. Frank spent his first 3 years dragging this team out of the deepest hole this program has ever been in. Frank develops talent and he has finally hit on multiple freshman who have contributed early. We are a bubble team with a bunch of freshman/sophomores and one senior. If we beat Vandy we will most likely finish 4th in the conference way above the analysts expectations. Win 2 in the SEC tournament and we should make the dance. Frank isn’t going anywhere and Tanner want hire anyone better!

Well said.

Reactions: DCWahooCock
Frank sucks here but he is the best we can do...

That is the question I have been asking for the last two years. Is Frank the best we can get at USC? My gosh, if that is the case with the facilities we have and all of our SEC money then that is not saying much about our program. Many schools do a lot better than us with only a faction of our money and our top notch facilities and great fan support. We know what a good winning program can do at USC. Look no further than the WBB program- my gosh, look what Dawn has done. It's amazing what she has done in a relatively short period of time.

WE CAN DO BETTER, I KNOW WE CAN!

Reactions: Legendary Cock
[QUOTE
That is the question I have been asking for the last two years. Is Frank the best we can get at USC? My gosh, if that is the case with the facilities we have and all of our SEC money then that is not saying much about our program. Many schools do a lot better than us with only a faction of our money and our top notch facilities and great fan support. We know what a good winning program can do at USC. Look no further than the WBB program- my gosh, look what Dawn has done. It's amazing what she has done in a relatively short period of time.

WE CAN DO BETTER, I KNOW WE CAN!

Yeah, why don’t we just hire a 3 time gold medalist and player of the year for the guys too? How have we not thought of that yet?

Reactions: cadcock
[QUOTE

Yeah, why don’t we just hire a 3 time gold medalist and player of the year for the guys too? How have we not thought of that yet?

Well, a three time Gold Medalist does not make a great coach in and of itself. Dawn is all of those things that is for sure. But more than that she is a great coach. We can find a better coach than Martin. If we can't then we are just pathetic!!!

Well, a three time Gold Medalist does not make a great coach in and of itself. Dawn is all of those things that is for sure. But more than that she is a great coach. We can find a better coach than Martin. If we can't then we are just pathetic!!!

Oh so she just stumbled into being a legend?

I contend that Martin coached the greatest 4 game stretch in USC history to get to the F4 and if not for those 4 games, he would have been fired already

I contend that Martin coached the greatest 4 game stretch in USC history to get to the F4 and if not for those 4 games, he would have been fired already
I learned from a basketball alum that the day before the Gonzaga game, Sin was taking IV fluids for flu dehydration. Shame he was not at full strength, but life happens.

Super lazy and redundant post by OP. It always irks me when people write "One NCAA tourney in eight years", as if this season is already over and bids have been handed out. Lots of basketball left to play, and this team is not done yet.

But the post produced lots of thoughtful, fact-based responses pointing out Frank's accomplishments. The one that stood out to me was four winning SEC records in the past five years, compared to three (3) winning SEC records in 21 seasons in the SEC prior to Martin (under four different coaches).

Great team win last night. Go beat Vandy, then win two in the SEC tourney, and this team will go dancing.

I personally enjoy mediocrity, always have. I was a straight C student, and it’s gotten me where I am today. I’ve always looked at it as “taking one for the team” so the next guy can excel. Looks like our BOT and AD share the same philosophy.

That last sentence says it all

Reactions: cadcock
Lol. South Carolina has a LARGE social media presence of “fans” who methinks are not yet used to being told “no.”

My perception is that they are not fans of the University of South Carolina, they are fans of being told all their lives that they are special and can have anything if they just set their minds to it. And their response when this doesn’t occur (hello real world) is to have tantrums, lash out, and make loud noises.

I mean, it's sobering. And they're just facts. I have my opinions and they are certainly fluid (lol), but I'm not going there, so as they used to say on Dragnet: "Just the facts, ma'am."

SEC winning seasons:
Newton had zero in his two years here.
Fogler had two.
Odom had zero (I was surprised by that)
Horn had one
Martin has had four.
Martin really is the best coach we've had since McGuire. We have a shot at making the tournament this year and if the roster stays intact we would likely make it again next season.

The fact is USC does NOT have a great basketball history. We are NOT a basketball Blue Blood. Idiots on here that think we can just fire Frank Martin and hire someone that will automatically start collecting us National Championships should simply be ignored. We were a dumpster fire when Frank Martin took over. Since then we have had the greatest 8 years of success in our basketball history, which isn't saying much given our basketball history. Nevertheless, it still stands as our greatest 8 year run, like it or not. No, it does not compare to Duke or Kentucky or North Carolina, but neither does our basketball program. Coach Martin has improved our program, and I believe he will needs to continue to build our program.

We have the same shot at the NCAAT as does Vanderbilt.
Vandy would have to win the SEC tournament to get in. If we beat Vandy Saturday and win 2 in the SEC tournament we are in, possibly in with just 1 win in the tournament. I've heard others on the SEC Network say that 20 was the magic number for us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT