ADVERTISEMENT

Gamecocks vs UCONN preview

winloseortie

Feb 21, 2007
columbia
We are excited about the possibilities of this game!! We are the better and deeper team. But that does not guarantee victory.

So much of the conversation around UCONN has focused on what they aren’t. This has been done mainly by comparing them to previous UCONN teams. Let’s look at who they are...

Megan Walker 19ppg and Christyn Williams 15 ppg were both the #1 recruit out of their class. Walker is their best player and probably one of The 15 best players in the country. PG Dangerfield 15ppg was the top ranked point guard and Ododa-Nelson 10ppg was the top rated center.

They are talented and tall. They rebound well. Walker 43% Dangerfield 43% and Makurat 40% shoot the 3 very well. Makurat is a 6’1” wing from overseas and is the first option off the bench. Dangerfield is an excellent ball handler and distributor.

Tendencies and weakness

They are overly reliant on the 3 pointer. 35% of their shots are 3s. By comparison we only shoot 3s 21% of the time. They have taken almost 200 more 3s than fts. a horrible ratio.

They are so 3 reliant because Ododa-Nelson is their only inside threat and has been very inconsistent. In their two losses and the UT win she was nonexistent on offense. Zero pts against Oregon. Her big games have been against inferior competition.

Williams is excellent scorer but prone to shooting slumps especially against defenders her size(Beal, Harrigan, and Lele)

Their bench is thin with no real post back up. Their bench quality does not match ours

This year UCONN has not played as challenging a schedule. 4 top 25 games 2–2 and UT beats them if they don’t turn the ball over 30 times!They will play 9 against tournament teams vs 17 by us. I don’t think they are a tough team mentally

For the Win

1. Boston will dominate Ododa-Nelson as long as she stays out of foul trouble. A MUST.
  2. Rebound, rebound, rebound.
  3. Make them a 3 point shooting team and then run them off the line
  4. Be ourselves and play our game. Don’t get too high or hyped about this game. We don’t have to have our best game to win but we still must play well
Fan Expectations

You know who you are. UCONN has only lost 45 games in 21 years. Win rate 96%. Only 12 of those losses were by double digits and only 2 by 20 or more. Big bonus points if you can name those 2. One ACC One SEC. I fully expect us to win but they are still a very good team. The win is the important thing, moaning about margin is missing the point.

Last edited:
Yes those are the obvious but incorrect. SEC West and tobacco road
Oh wow, I thought for sure Summit must of done it early on. But yeah Hatchell and her team was almost my first guess. As for out west there's only 1 team I could Geaux with given time period.

Oh wow, I thought for sure Summit must of done it early on. But yeah Hatchell and her team was almost my first guess. As for out west there's only 1 team I could Geaux with given time period.
Ding ding ding both UNC and LSU have 23 point victories...... a long time ago

Uconn teams always rely on the 3s. They always have a weak bench - but strong starters who always get them their dubs

The ladies just have to do what they have been doing so far- play together, be on point, play defense and don't try to out play anyone or do too much - that's when you lose.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT