ADVERTISEMENT

Gotta give Muschamp credit

He's doing a good job overall - just don't believe we will get anywhere with top-10 teams with yesterday's approach. We will never have the player personal that GA has so we need to have more unpredictability in our play calling. It's too Saban-like, Kirby-like, etc. We can't beat those guys at their own game. We will get pounded by Clemson again this year if this continues....For example, Edwards should have gotten several deep balls in the first half with one-on-one coverage by using Deebo as a decoy. Try to stretch the field early to loosen things up. If it gets intercepted, it's likely a glorified punt. But I'll take the odds on Bentley making a good pass in that situation and either Edwards catching it, or getting the interference call far more than an interception.

Yeah and man I miss the slants that Kenny McKinley used to get thrown to him. Are we scraped to throw across the middle

With a population of roughly 6 million just in the metro Atlanta area and over 10 million people overall in the state of Georgia, it’s a wonder how uga hasn’t been more successful than they have. With that large of a recruiting base in state and no one other than ga tech to kinda compete with in state, it’s amazing how a school like uga could do so little with so much over the years.
South Carolina has less than 6 million people statewide and 2 instate schools who dump huge amounts of money into their football programs. If Muschamp is going to ever get the consistent top 10 recruiting classes needed to compete for titles, he is going to have to come up with a unique tactic. Basically, what would make a 5 star from another state want to come here?

Coaching goes a long way. Jimbo Fisher is perfect example

And tx a.m. is perfect example of what us fans want. To get a proven coach and pay the money to get your first choice. Tex am went and stole a coach from a major university. Can you see tanner doing that? No. The only coaches that got us over the hump were proven winners period
TAMU got a coach that wanted to get the hell out of Dodge. FSU is not good and ole Jimbo knew it.

Reactions: SCexpat38
TAMU got a coach that wanted to get the hell out of Dodge. FSU is not good and ole Jimbo knew it.

They would been a lot better with Jimbo
Florida wouldn’t got beat by Kentucky if urban was there

LSU would be like Bama if Saban never left
Clemson offense was never exciting until Chad Morris came to town

They would been a lot better with Jimbo
Florida wouldn’t got beat by Kentucky if urban was there

LSU would be like Bama if Saban never left
Clemson offense was never exciting until Chad Morris came to town
They were 7-6 last year with ole Jimbo and had as much talent as they do now.....much more than Muschamp took over. You can keep Jimbo.

They were 7-6 last year with ole Jimbo and had as much talent as they do now.....much more than Muschamp took over. You can keep Jimbo.
I wouldn’t want Jimbo or Meyer or Dabo

Point is coaching matters. Done settle if u want to complete

What would our record been if we lost our starting QB last year. Our back ups ain’t even good enough to get playing team when we getting throttled in 4th qtr

With a population of roughly 6 million just in the metro Atlanta area and over 10 million people overall in the state of Georgia, it’s a wonder how uga hasn’t been more successful than they have. With that large of a recruiting base in state and no one other than ga tech to kinda compete with in state, it’s amazing how a school like uga could do so little with so much over the years.
South Carolina has less than 6 million people statewide and 2 instate schools who dump huge amounts of money into their football programs. If Muschamp is going to ever get the consistent top 10 recruiting classes needed to compete for titles, he is going to have to come up with a unique tactic. Basically, what would make a 5 star from another state want to come here?

Klempson does it. Why not us? They are in SC. Bfe SC at that.

Klempson does it. Why not us? They are in SC. Bfe SC at that.

Agreed but if we dont start winning big SEC games in the next few years then you'll be hearing people telling us we can keep Muschamp.

We try to strip the ball too much. Would love for Lawing to come back and for Thompson to move to LB coach where he has spent most of his career. Lawing taught tackling as well as anyone.
Oh no. Not the Lawing argument again. That's ancient history now, isn't it?

I wouldn’t want Jimbo or Meyer or Dabo

Point is coaching matters. Done settle if u want to complete

What would our record been if we lost our starting QB last year. Our back ups ain’t even good enough to get playing team when we getting throttled in 4th qtr
He had been at FSU for 10 years (13 if you want to count his time as OC) and he was in the middle of the biggest recruiting territory in the SE US. The QB was a freshman...after that many years of recruiting, you are giving him a break because he lost a starting freshman QB? Really?

He had been at FSU for 10 years (13 if you want to count his time as OC) and he was in the middle of the biggest recruiting territory in the SE US. The QB was a freshman...after that many years of recruiting, you are giving him a break because he lost a starting freshman QB? Really?

And you give us a break for. Not hiring a proven OC. It nothing to get defensive about. Call a spade a spade. Clemson showed us how to do it. We just need to get the system and coaches to make it happen

And you give us a break for. Not hiring a proven OC. It nothing to get defensive about. Call a spade a spade. Clemson showed us how to do it. We just need to get the system and coaches to make it happen
I never gave us a break for that. Look at my many responses...we have a proven successful OC on staff, we just don't use him as such.

Reactions: The Cool Cock
I think maybe the impact of the loss of Stallworth and Sawyer (and Ulric Jones) up front may have been underestimated.

And Skai Moore and a host of DBs. We replaced a lot of players on D. It will take a little time for this unit to gel.

Reactions: 92Pony
Look , I was a huge advocate for muschamp to hire outside of staff for an OC ... That being said the OC Saturday did nothing to lose that game ...

"Look , I was a huge advocate for muschamp to hire outside of staff for an OC ... That being said the OC Saturday did nothing to lose that game ..."

20-48 run pass ratio had everything to do with it; that and our QB folds like a cheap tent in pressure games.

"Look , I was a huge advocate for muschamp to hire outside of staff for an OC ... That being said the OC Saturday did nothing to lose that game ..."

20-48 run pass ratio had everything to do with it; that and our QB folds like a cheap tent in pressure games.

Its both lines of scrimmage, OL and DL... you cant beat elite teams with the current lines... Its really very simple

It’s called scholarship limit. Just because there is 10 million people in Georgia doesn’t mean you give out 1000 scholarships, I love all the trash talk about doing less with more. What exactly has uscjr ever done. We even beat y’all in your only championship season.

That seems pretty harsh. Didn't he complete 65% of his passes?

It’s called scholarship limit. Just because there is 10 million people in Georgia doesn’t mean you give out 1000 scholarships, I love all the trash talk about doing less with more. What exactly has uscjr ever done. We even beat y’all in your only championship season.

and most of the 10 million wish you'd stop embarrassing yourself

Reactions: mbsurfside
That seems pretty harsh. Didn't he complete 65% of his passes?
When the game had long been decided and he was throwing short routes that UGA was letting him have. He wasn't trying to go down the field to score, no urgency whatsoever. The one long ball we had was needed every series after that to try to get back in the game.

When the game had long been decided and he was throwing short routes that UGA was letting him have. He wasn't trying to go down the field to score, no urgency whatsoever. The one long ball we had was needed every series after that to try to get back in the game.

So no long balls mean he "folds like a cheap tent"? Could there be any other reasons? Game plan, play calling, receivers not getting open, defensive line pressure?

Reactions: Zachboom
If embarrassing yourself is winning sec titles and major bowls then I guess we will keep embarrassing ourselves. See you Athens next year

read carefully now.. i know its hard , your comment was embarrassingly stupid and that makes you.... not smart

Reactions: rogue cock
So no long balls mean he "folds like a cheap tent"? Could there be any other reasons? Game plan, play calling, receivers not getting open, defensive line pressure?
There's plenty of blame to go around. The frustrating thing is this isn't his first big game or game against a ranked team and yet the performance has been eerily similar in all of those games. He didn't try any downfield shots to keep the defense honest or to try to get a pass interference penalty, he locked on to receivers when he's plenty experienced enough to know not to stare down receivers. The windows are small enough, you have to move guys with your eyes to take advantage of any space you can create. Go watch the INT in the end zone for an example of what a 3 year starting QB shouldn't be doing.

Reactions: agantt
Are you suggesting that the Ga. Assistants are better? The amount of money should have No
baring on performance!

I am suggesting they have more resources. You can't ignore resources being important or some great head coach would have Tulsa or Tulane or Nevada winning a national championship. Thus it may take Muschamp longer than it will a Kirby Smart at Georgia to change a school to a consistent winner.

Reactions: rogue cock
Damn! Evidently that was over your head. Maybe I can slow it down for ya soes ya understand. If you have twice as many players in your state than say,South Carolina, and no serious competition in your state unlike say, South Carolina, then common sense tells you that you have more talent to choose from in your state
Maybe this will help, if you have 2 dog biscuits and little Spot has 1, who is more likely to lick himself ? Hope that helps

Reactions: mbsurfside
Some on this thread are sad folks, namely this UGA tool box. By his dumb logic any 1A high school should be statistically near equal to any 5A high school since each team only plays 11. WOW!

You other folks ripping on OC, and champ, and bentley and all the nitpicky stuff also don't understand football very well. Its easy to say run pass ratio was off. However, theres a thing called 3 downs to move 10 before its recommended to punt. When our O line can pass block somewhat, but can't open a hole big enough for a cat to run through, your options get limited.

This all comes down to recruiting. When a team can redshirt 4 and 5star linement and let them get stronger, and atram like SC would lick their lips to get that guy on the field as a freshman, thats a big difference. I think we're a 8-9 win team, and UGA is a 12+

Damn! Evidently that was over your head. Maybe I can slow it down for ya soes ya understand. If you have twice as many players in your state than say,South Carolina, and no serious competition in your state unlike say, South Carolina, then common sense tells you that you have more talent to choose from in your state
Maybe this will help, if you have 2 dog biscuits and little Spot has 1, who is more likely to lick himself ? Hope that helps
Let me slow it Down for you it doesn’t matter how many are in your state you can only sign 25 a year for a total of 85 . So that leaves plenty for others to get. I can’t help that they don’t want to go uscjr

I kind of disgree with this.

Look if a player is going to be something, you can put him in as a freshman and see something. Maybe he's a 6'6" 220 pound stringbean DE, but you see him make a couple big plays.

Same with a coach. If he is ever going to be even good, you see something, some sign that he can beat a team he isn't supposed to.

Muschamp was an assistant to some very big names, and at some historically very successful schools. In his words, "I know what good looks like."

But he was the head guy at Florida 4 years, and this is his 3rd one here. What you see is what you get. At this point I'm not expecting some light bulb to go off in his head and him becoming Bear Bryant.

Usually people like to mention Frank Beamer and say something like sometimes it takes time, VT was patient and look what happened. But usually it doesn't work like that. Almost always you see some kind of sign early on that a coach can win big games - particularly when he isn't supposed to.

Muschamp is a very hard worker. But I don't think it is going to be enough. Once upon a time we beat Clemson five years in a row. Dabo still found a way to go into other states and win recruiting battles against in-state schools for players they wanted. Muschamp is simply not showing he can do that.

Still I wouldn't want them to make a change. Had enough of these coaching searches and changes. As far as I'm concerned, don't even think about making a change till Muschamp has had five years here.

But we needed Bill Snyder, a guy who could beat Oklahoma with a team of vastly inferior players on his roster. We got Muschamp.

Based on what I saw yesterday, I'm wondering how bad our record is going to be this year. Can't see us beating a lot of teams with "Shakey Jake" at qb. Hmmm A&M, Kentucky, Missouri, Ole Miss (we aren't stopping that offense, and we just don't do offensive shootouts), Clemson, Florida...

What happens if he has a 4 win season (guessing we beat Vandy?), in year 3 with a team better than year 2?

I dunno, but this is a bummer. Muschamp just can't seem to outcoach anyone. I don't care how smart he sounds in interviews, you never see it on the field.
First of all, I can't believe people are not screaming at you. I've been on here since 2008, I'm not a sunshine pumper like so many think are only allowed to post on here and you get by with all this rhetoric!!

Actually you make good points. Mushchamp is supposed to be a Def guru and I don't see it. I'm not calling him bad just not super based on what we see. I like him as a coach as he is trying to do it the right way. I hate when people say otherwise about SC or even other schools, I do have my eyes on UGA.

People make excuses about being left with dumpster fire but the recruiting classes Spurrier left were all top 20+ classes. So how can you say talent was depleted? What I think he did do is just accept recruits based off stars and not off need, so if a DB accepted and we needed DTs, it didn't really matter as it was a good player. So yes the recruiting plan slipped but there were still a lot of highly rated players. That combined with 3yrs, although this is his best yr, seems like some of the hard-nosed defense would shine by now?

Hey, broshizzlepop, how many downs of High School football have you played? It's not all about recruiting! Coaching has a big part of that! UGA has always had top 10-20 classes and still couldn't get there. Florida has not fallen in recruiting until recently. FSU and Miami have been perennials and Miami has suffered bad.

Then look at Boise St under Chris P, he turns them into a competitive team. He goes to Washington, they play in playoffs. Washington hasn't had a top 10 recruiting class in years but the coach gets them there. How about TCU, recruiting in top 25 is not common but they have been in discussion for several years due to coaching.

I say it's 40% player and 60% coaching. I played football at one of the smaller 4A schools but we competed with much larger schools annually. That was coaching and believing.

Let me slow it Down for you it doesn’t matter how many are in your state you can only sign 25 a year for a total of 85 . So that leaves plenty for others to get. I can’t help that they don’t want to go uscjr

And does anyone wonder why GU has this reputation. It’s mental midgets like this one who give hem their name

So if every year you have more in state talent than anyone in the sec other than maybe a&m and Florida, and less competition in state for the top talent than a&m and Florida has in their respective states, then conceivably you should get the cream of the crop in state. No?
If not, your coaches have been under achieving on the recruiting trail. If so, then they have been under achieving on the field. Either way uga has done less with more historically.

We lost to a better team that was also more prepared. Until we recruit at a higher level and do a better job at preparation, it’ll happen again.

But we needed Bill Snyder, a guy who could beat Oklahoma with a team of vastly inferior players on his roster. We got Muschamp.
That's one place I think people underestimated Spurrier. He made us better than our talent. We didn't have those all star classes here when he was here either, but he was able to get us into the top 5 for a few years based on a solid (not great) talent pool. We definitely played above our talent most of the time, but when we ran against a really talented team in a big game situation (Auburn) we folded then too. It showed. We were so close, and fell so far then

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Hey, broshizzlepop, how many downs of High School football have you played? It's not all about recruiting! Coaching has a big part of that! UGA has always had top 10-20 classes and still couldn't get there. Florida has not fallen in recruiting until recently. FSU and Miami have been perennials and Miami has suffered bad.

Then look at Boise St under Chris P, he turns them into a competitive team. He goes to Washington, they play in playoffs. Washington hasn't had a top 10 recruiting class in years but the coach gets them there. How about TCU, recruiting in top 25 is not common but they have been in discussion for several years due to coaching.

I say it's 40% player and 60% coaching. I played football at one of the smaller 4A schools but we competed with much larger schools annually. That was coaching and believing.

All 4 years thank you at a 4A school.
1. I do think you scheme a couple/few extra wins easier on the left coast than the SEC. Good job Chris for not jumping into the SEC fire.
2. Coaching does matter! If I never have to see or hear "mumbles" again in my life that would be great as he ruined our defense and spurrier let him do it. But great coaching with average talent can get you a game or two above average. Well if average is 6-7 wins, I think we can win 8-9, and I'm not saying 10 is unthinkable, but would require some luck and chips to fall right.
3. Great talent with average coaching can get you above average results, hence UGA the prior 10+ years.
4. Great talent and great coaching is 12+ wins. This is UGA right now.

I think our overall roster is slight above average for the SEC. If average were a 5, and above average was a 7-8, we are about a 6.5.

We have some studs and stars, and we also have some space fillers still. I think our first string is more like a 7-8, but we have guys in the 4-5 range.

I think that 3rd quarter showed when legs were tired, adjustments were made, subs played, it was hot, and the difference in depth stood out.

We can hire the greatest coach, but if that person cant recruit top 5 level, then we'll be just an 8-9 win team, with an occasional 10 pop. If we can recruit to a top level for a few years, where we can consider redshirting 5Star lineman because the depth is so good its more valuable for him to get stronger for a year, then you are on the level with UGA.

We get a 5Star guy and we are so excited we want to see him beat the world in game 1 of his freshman year. Its just where we are right now.

I like what the OC did. We dropped a few passes, made mistakes, talent took over.

Our O line cannot run block against a good team and that is a BIG game changer.

I am suggesting they have more resources. You can't ignore resources being important or some great head coach would have Tulsa or Tulane or Nevada winning a national championship. Thus it may take Muschamp longer than it will a Kirby Smart at Georgia to change a school to a consistent winner.
So you're suggesting that if we had more money, we could hire better assistants than the ones we have?:eek:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT