ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest player in SC High School History ??

BobbyBReloaded1975

Oct 26, 2019
Interesting to get y’all’s take . This doesn’t take NFL success or even College Success into account . Also don’t be a d bag and exclude a guy because he didn’t go to USC . My dad and uncles all say Stanley Morgan . Clowney ?? AJ Green ?? Lattimore ?? Art Shell ?? Stephen Davis ?? Go back as far as you wanna go

Clowney, Lattimore, Gilmore and Alshon are typical responses, I'll add Derek Watson to the Gamecock list. Non Gamecocks... Peter Boulware, Bobby Engram, Joe Hamilton.

Reactions: Brutal Rooster
Freddie Solomon
This is the correct answer and anyone that saw him play will agree.

1) Freddie Solomon
2) Stephen Davis
3) Shawn Graves
4) JD Clowney
5) Joe Hamilton
6) Stephon Gilmore
7) Marcus Lattimore
8) William Perry
9) AJ Green
10) Ben Boulware

Just kidding about #10, should be Derek Watson

Last edited:
I don't know, but I'm going to go with Clowney. I heard numerous recruiting experts refer to him as the top high school recruit of all time. I do remember him appearing on the cover of ESPN magazine while still in high school That's not everything, but it can't be nothing either. The highlight reels of him at South Pointe (against strong competition) showed an NFL player playing against high schoolers.

1) Freddie Solomon
2) Stephen Davis
3) Shawn Graves
4) JD Clowney
5) Joe Hamilton
6) Stephon Gilmore
7) Marcus Lattimore
8) William Perry
9) AJ Green
10) Ben Boulware

ben boulware?

Reactions: bigshorebird
On the high school level, Clowney and Zacch Pickens. They threw everyone out of the way on defense. Also, their teams put them at Running Back and high school kids were scared to tackle them.

Last edited:
The best I've seen in person. Steve Davis, Demetrius Summers, Kentrel Jones, Roscoe Crosby, and I seen in in 85-86 at my Highschool T
Interesting to get y’all’s take . This doesn’t take NFL success or even College Success into account . Also don’t be a d bag and exclude a guy because he didn’t go to USC . My dad and uncles all say Stanley Morgan . Clowney ?? AJ Green ?? Lattimore ?? Art Shell ?? Stephen Davis ?? Go back as far as you wanna go
Wow this is one heck of a good question. I’ve watched in person many great high school players, including some mentioned in this thread. As far as the greatest ever, I don’t know

The best I've seen in person. Steve Davis, Demetrius Summers, Kentrel Jones, Roscoe Crosby, and I seen in in 85-86 at my Highschool Tony Rice, Ed McDaniel and levon Kirkland all plsying with 2A schools.
Kentrell Jones was like Joe Hamilton but didn't run as much. He could flick his wrist and throw the ball 60 yards on a dime. He also keep plays alive for as long as he needed too. A player I will name is only bc he is one of the best athletes Ive personally seen. Roddy White. He was a year behind me but I watched him grow from a 112 lb wrestler to a 189 lb state champion.

Reactions: The Coup Nazi

1) Freddie Solomon
2) Stephen Davis
3) Shawn Graves
4) JD Clowney
5) Joe Hamilton
6) Stephon Gilmore
7) Marcus Lattimore
8) William Perry
9) AJ Green
10) Ben Boulware

Not sure about Boulware at 10. Watched him play in person, and seen lots of players that I’d put above him.

Reactions: Brutal Rooster
I am limited it the watching but Justin Durant from Wilson was the best I actually watched. He was a beast. Went to Hampton but still drafted in the 2nd round and played in the league 11 years.

1) Freddie Solomon
2) Stephen Davis
3) Shawn Graves
4) JD Clowney
5) Joe Hamilton
6) Stephon Gilmore
7) Marcus Lattimore
8) William Perry
9) AJ Green
10) Ben Boulware

Shawn Graves was dynamite. If he would have had a downfield passing game, any at all. O
M
G

George Webster from Anderson, SC. Great linebacker who went north to play for the great Michigan State teams of the mid 1960s. Played with Bubba Smith.

We will never know since he switched to basketball, but it might have been Zion Williamson.

Does anyone remember Brian Kingsborough at Clinton? I believe he broke Steven Davis’s state rushing record but couldn’t play in college because he was on the special needs track.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
1. Freddie Solomon. My dad-in-law played with him at Sumter High. Stories from that era keep me entertained!
2. Stephen Davis. I was on the SHS Gamecock '91 team that was USA Today #9 ranked. Davis made us look like Alice Drive Middle versus Varsity. His size, speed, power might have only been matched by George Rogers in W-B stadium history.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT