ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest player in SC High School History ??

Interesting to get y’all’s take . This doesn’t take NFL success or even College Success into account . Also don’t be a d bag and exclude a guy because he didn’t go to USC . My dad and uncles all say Stanley Morgan . Clowney ?? AJ Green ?? Lattimore ?? Art Shell ?? Stephen Davis ?? Go back as far as you wanna go
Stephen Davis.

Unless I missed it, I.M. Hipp, didn't he go to Chapin? Don't remember. I didn't go there, just his name came to mind while reading this good thread.

I see alot of people
IDK about a lot of these. AJ Green is out because Summerville used to play garbage (the upstate has dominated high school football for a while) and then Byrnes shut him down completely in their big test. He may have become the best, but he wasn't the best in high school. Ben Boulware ended up being a surprisingly good linebacker at Clemson, but wasn't really All-world in high school.

1. Demetris Summers - He still has the record and is #13 all time in high school rushing yards and TD. 9076 yards and 120 TDs. EZ choice.

2. Art Shell - going back old school. I've heard he was the best lineman anyone ever saw. I have to take their word for it considering he went on to be one of the best football players in history.

3. Solomon - Maybe the best single season ever.

4. Clowney - Just a one man wrecking ball.

5. William Perry - Not only was he maybe the most dominant defensive tackle, he was one of the best offensive linemen in SC high school history too.

6. Justin Worley - National Gatorade Player of the year, like 14,000 passing yards and 130 TDs, took Northwestern to 3 title games in a row.

7. Mason Rudolph - He had 4,500 yards and 80 TDs his senior season, was Mr. Football and Shrine Bowl MVP, and made his Northwestern team one of the country's best. It doesn't impact his high school career, but he's probably had the best career of any QB from SC too.

8. Ben Coates - Only played one season for Greenwood, but was the most dominant tight end in South Carolina history by far. It looked like an NFL player playing against schoolkids (and of course he was one of the best South Carolinian pros ever).

9. Stephen Davis - Obviously two dominant, incredible seasons

10. Gaines Adams - bit of a wildcard choice since he played private school ball, but he was the most unstoppable high school player I ever saw play. In three seasons he had 4,394 yards receiving and 65 touchdowns, as well as 341 tackles, 10 interceptions, and 33 sacks. The recruiting services never noticed him because of the small school, but he obviously went on to become maybe Clemson's best defensive player of all time.

In other news, I first thought Willy Korn would be on my list. He was almost certainly the most hyped QB to ever come out of SC. And I remembered Byrnes blowing the doors off everyone (they beat nationally ranked Gaffney and Greenwood (who had Armanti Edwards) by like 30 each. But I think he was just a really good QB who was boosted by playing on the best team in SC history. He threw a ton of TDs, mainly to receivers with huge separation, but also a lot of picks. Still an amazing team though. They either were #1 or 2 in the country if I remember correctly.

I would've put Demetrius in my top ten. But I seen him play in the Dorman rematch. He layed down that game. He didn't want none that game, horrible attitude. I can see why he never carried Lexington to a State Championship. Seeing Steve Davis carry Spartanburg high to their first State Championship. He was on a different level.

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
No one has brought up Charlie Waters. Still a legend at North Augusta. An all pro for Dallas Cowboys

im an LR alum and a Mooney Player fan and I was at that game. The one play that sealed the game, imo, was his reverse field run when he was trapped behind the LOS which would have resulted in not getting a critical late game first down, as I remember, He was a special player now doubt. I’m old but I don’t remember the failed 2 point conversion. No doubting you and am not surprised the Morgan was responsible.

I once asked Mooney at a party why he went for 2 points with little time on the clock when a kick would have tied the game and sent this state championship match into overtime. He said "I wanted to win". Not the best reason IMO but typical of Mooney who loved the unorthodox.

Lots of names kicked around, lots of great athletes in their time.

What I find fascinating is the large number of guys who either left the state to play at a big school shunning SC and Clemson, and the number of guys who played at a small school and still starred in the NFL.

Looking at a few names mentioned in this thread, Art Shell went to Maryland Eastern Shore, Ben Coates went to Livingstone, Armanti Edwards to App State...just wonder why? Grades, lack of exposure, etc?

And of course, the real shame is for the guys who were outstanding athletes, but weren’t able to parlay that into college success because they couldn’t qualify.

Last edited:
I saw one person mention Brian Kinsborough from Clinton in the mid 2000s. He lead the state in both Rushing and Tackles in the same season. He started at rb and nose guard. Most of the games that season he did not even play the second half because they were blowing people out. If he was not on the special needs track he would have gone major D1.

Donnie Shell from Whitmire was a member of the famed Steel Curtain defense. Holds the Steeler's record for INT's.

1. Jadeveon Clowney
2. Feddie Solomon
3. Steve Davis
4. Courtney Brown
5. Marcus Lattimore
6. Peter Boulware
7. Joel Holliday
8. Roscoe Crosby
9. AJ Jreen
10. Jim Youngblood
I'm great friends with Joel Holliday. His oldest brother and I are best friends.

From what I've seen with my on eyes it's Stanley Morgan. I believe he still owns the NFL record with yards per catch. And considered one of the greatest New England Patriots ever. One I haven't seen mentioned is Tron Jackson from Liberty High School. He went and played running back for Georgia behind Herschel Walker. I believe he is still top 3 in the 100 meter in the State.

Reactions: Forever Fowl
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT