ADVERTISEMENT

Greenville county schools and COVID-19.

And should. The 800 lb gorilla in the room that few want to talk about is that remote learning isn't sustainable. At least for all.. Technologically it is. But for the 50% of kids who have parents not around, or parents who just don't care, remote learning is a joke. I personally know of one district where a large percentage checked out last March and immediately began their endless summer. Most signed up to get their give away grade for the second semester, but were never heard from again.

Thanks, Jeff. I follow you on here as a fellow upstate resident. I’ve got 3 kids in Greenville County Schools (JL Mann, League Middle, and Charles Townes Center). Always impressed with the schools, give or take a few bumps that are usually my boy’s fault. I do NOT envy the decision makers, administrators and teachers this year. It’s hard for all of us - parents, kids and teachers alike. I’m glad to hear your positive take on it. If you don’t mind me asking, what do you do that sends you to multiple schools? My thoughts are administration of facilities.

Reactions: vacock#
And should. The 800 lb gorilla in the room that few want to talk about is that remote learning isn't sustainable. At least for all.. Technologically it is. But for the 50% of kids who have parents not around, or parents who just don't care, remote learning is a joke. I personally know of one district where a large percentage checked out last March and immediately began their endless summer. Most signed up to get their give away grade for the second semester, but were never heard from again.
I’ve got a number of patients that are teachers and they all confirm what you’ve noted. A large percentage of the kids never once checked in after the initial week. For all the social injustice concerns over the last few months the absence of in person schooling could deal a significant blow to a whole generation of at risk kids.

Thanks, Jeff. I follow you on here as a fellow upstate resident. I’ve got 3 kids in Greenville County Schools (JL Mann, League Middle, and Charles Townes Center). Always impressed with the schools, give or take a few bumps that are usually my boy’s fault. I do NOT envy the decision makers, administrators and teachers this year. It’s hard for all of us - parents, kids and teachers alike. I’m glad to hear your positive take on it. If you don’t mind me asking, what do you do that sends you to multiple schools? My thoughts are administration of facilities.
Preventive maintenance team.

Reactions: DrMickey
My wife is a teacher and I can say that all of the extra that is being placed on them is a bit much. When all of this started and parents had to help their kids with e-learning, I felt that it would give just a small glimpse into what all teachers truly do. I think some parents may have gotten a small taste of just what all teachers do, but you have a lot who didn't. My thing is that if a kid can sit in front of a phone, tablet, video game, or computer and figure it out, then they can figure out e-learning. If you ask me, teachers along with police and fire fighters are the most under appreciated and undervalued people we have today.

My wife is a teacher and I can say that all of the extra that is being placed on them is a bit much. When all of this started and parents had to help their kids with e-learning, I felt that it would give just a small glimpse into what all teachers truly do. I think some parents may have gotten a small taste of just what all teachers do, but you have a lot who didn't. My thing is that if a kid can sit in front of a phone, tablet, video game, or computer and figure it out, then they can figure out e-learning. If you ask me, teachers along with police and fire fighters are the most under appreciated and undervalued people we have today.

I agree for the older kids they should figure it out... However, I have a 1st and 3rd grader in the Greenville school system. I know as a parent, I personally feel the in-person aspect can not be emphasized enough and the e-learning especially for elementary aged kids only will put them farther behind after the non-existent second semester last year.

I do agree with you about the under appreciated teachers. A lot of my family is in administration for schools while others are teachers.

Reactions: anon_6poml7ajgpoqm
I agree for the older kids they should figure it out... However, I have a 1st and 3rd grader in the Greenville school system. I know as a parent, I personally feel the in-person aspect can not be emphasized enough and the e-learning especially for elementary aged kids only will put them farther behind after the non-existent second semester last year.

I do agree with you about the under appreciated teachers. A lot of my family is in administration for schools while others are teachers.

I also understand that most who are in the teaching profession, have chosen to be teachers. They know going into it what it is like. However, I don't think anyone signed up to teach during a pandemic.

I agree that I have learned to respect teachers a lot more and the Good teachers need to be paid more. However with all due respect to teachers, they don’t work 8 hour days and then come into a home environment and teach a kid at 5 in the afternoon. It is not the same. I don’t have an answer and will respect the decision of the district. I just hope the answer takes into account the lives of the parents and the time and patience afforded us at 5pm. Perhaps we spend the entire first semester revisiting the previous years material. At the very least it will be an easier task and the kids will learn.

Reactions: anon_6poml7ajgpoqm
I agree that I have learned to respect teachers a lot more and the Good teachers need to be paid more. However with all due respect to teachers, they don’t work 8 hour days and then come into a home environment and teach a kid at 5 in the afternoon. It is not the same. I don’t have an answer and will respect the decision of the district. I just hope the answer takes into account the lives of the parents and the time and patience afforded us at 5pm. Perhaps we spend the entire first semester revisiting the previous years material. At the very least it will be an easier task and the kids will learn.

You are right. They don't work 8 hour days. My wife comes home around 3:30 PM, eats, and works on school until 8:30 PM or later. Yes teachers don't have an 8 hour job and they put in A LOT of EXTRA work behind the scenes that doesn't get noticed. A lot of people say teachers have it "easy" because they get summers off. They also don't get paid during their summers off.

You are right. They don't work 8 hour days. My wife comes home around 3:30 PM, eats, and works on school until 8:30 PM or later. Yes teachers don't have an 8 hour job and they put in A LOT of EXTRA work behind the scenes that doesn't get noticed. A lot of people say teachers have it "easy" because they get summers off. They also don't get paid during their summers off.

A lot of what you said up to now I can get behind, but they have the options with their salaries. They can either get their salary over the school year or spread evenly throughout the year. They are still getting paid their full contracted amount.

The problem is while teachers, like your wife and many in my family, aren't the norm... during the COVID shutdown and all the way through the summer they continued to work, a lot of the time was trying to find a way to put a plan together for this upcoming year...
However there were many teachers working at most half days and getting paid as if they were doing the job all day. Calling it a day from 9am-12pm (much like my ex wife did Sick)

MOST parents can not stay home with their kids. You can’t cram an entire day into a two hour homework session in the evening.

A lot of what you said up to now I can get behind, but they have the options with their salaries. They can either get their salary over the school year or spread evenly throughout the year. They are still getting paid their full contracted amount.

The problem is while teachers, like your wife and many in my family, aren't the norm... during the COVID shutdown and all the way through the summer they continued to work, a lot of the time was trying to find a way to put a plan together for this upcoming year...
However there were many teachers working at most half days and getting paid as if they were doing the job all day. Calling it a day from 9am-12pm (much like my ex wife did Sick)

Dilly Dilly!!!

The difference is that one thing kids want to do. The other, not so much.

I also understand that most who are in the teaching profession, have chosen to be teachers. They know going into it what it is like. However, I don't think anyone signed up to teach during a pandemic.

Did anyone in any industry sign up to work during a pandemic?

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Summers are also when we usually take college classes we have to pay for ourselves to keep the job for which we were already hired to do.

I work for the district and i go to all the schools and can I say. The schools are going overboard with preparing for the students. If you have a kid in Greenville. The district is doing everything possible to protect your child

Schools will be fine... They have to go overboard to make sure Students come back to have in class learning...

Thousands of SC students went missing amid COVID. How many is DSS still looking for?

Thousands of South Carolina students who could not be reached during the spring semester after the COVID-19 outbreak shut down schools have been located, senators heard from the state’s child-welfare agency on Wednesday.

Of the roughly 16,000 unaccounted students reported to lawmakers in June, South Carolina’s Social Services director Michael Leach told lawmakers that all but 780 students had been located and surveyed across the state.

“I’ve been incredibly impressed with both the speed and willingness from people across our organization to get involved in this,” Leach told a panel of legislators on the Senate’s Reopen South Carolina, who are focusing on childrens’ services.

With the help of the state’s Department of Education, DSS employees and local law enforcement officials are working to locate 371 students ahead of the upcoming fall semester, Leach said. Officials have tried to contact the families of an additional 409 students, but have been unsuccessful.

In a June survey, the education department reported that 16,085 students — out of more than 700,000 students, or about 2% of the state’s public school population — had turned in little or no work from virtual classes.

That number was significantly cut over the summer, and Leach said his agency helped locate 2,295 of the remaining 3,234 students during the last three weeks that needed to be contacted.

Leach said families gave several reasons why students could not complete digital school work in the spring.

Some students did not have access to computers or internet service, while others did not have transportation to access WIFI-enabled buses or to pick up or drop off work packets. Leach said some parents reported that the material was too difficult for them to teach, and others said that it was difficult to teach multiple children at different levels while working a full-time job.

Parents also reported difficulty contacting teachers for help or schools for technical assistance.

And there also were language barriers, after parents reported that school work was provided in English to Spanish-speaking families, Leach said.

“We know that families need support, especially during this pandemic,” Leach said.

The department’s efforts over the past few months were lauded by senators on Wednesday.

“Going from where we started, … I think y’all have done a great job,” said subcommittee chairman Sen. Katrina Shealy, R-Lexington.

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/news/coronavirus/article245077010.html?#storylink=cpy

I teach. I coach. On my early days I come home at 5 pm in season. On the later ones it’s usually somewhere between 10pm-midnight. Most teachers have kids so I imagine they do know what it is like to work a job (Unless you don’t consider teaching work) and then come home and teach their kids. It’s not like teachers kids get some kind of exemption on needing help with their schoolwork.

Not looking to argue because your tone seemed genuine and respectful, but I do think a part of the argument doesn’t hold up.

I do agree any teacher with a lick of sense will be reviewing the previous year material to start. I also give a pretest to gauge who knows their stuff and who is seriously deficient.

You are right. They don't work 8 hour days. My wife comes home around 3:30 PM, eats, and works on school until 8:30 PM or later. Yes teachers don't have an 8 hour job and they put in A LOT of EXTRA work behind the scenes that doesn't get noticed. A lot of people say teachers have it "easy" because they get summers off. They
Not true. I spent my day in a school and had to do the elearning with my two elementary age kids. Don’t forget, teachers have kids. I am not an educator who complains about money. I’ll promise you if teachers could actually teach kids, money would not be an issue. Too much paperwork and too many checked out parents.

I have been in education for 20 years. Before that I worked in a manufacturing plant. I worked in the section where they molded rubber parts for semis. It was hot, and tiring. But when I left, my day was over. For most teachers, that is not the case. Yes I got tired working that job, but it is a completely different tired when you become emotionally drained worried about the students you teach.

My next door neighbor is a teacher. He never cracked 5 hours a day from the first day everyone was sent home. "They" doesn't apply to all teachers.

Not true. I spent my day in a school and had to do the elearning with my two elementary age kids. Don’t forget, teachers have kids. I am not an educator who complains about money. I’ll promise you if teachers could actually teach kids, money would not be an issue. Too much paperwork and too many checked out parents.

I have been in education for 20 years. Before that I worked in a manufacturing plant. I worked in the section where they molded rubber parts for semis. It was hot, and tiring. But when I left, my day was over. For most teachers, that is not the case. Yes I got tired working that job, but it is a completely different tired when you become emotionally drained worried about the students you teach.
Your last paragraph describes a lot of professions. My wife is a nurse. Her job is a lot like the manufacturing plant you describe. I'm an accountant. Mine is a lot like teaching. Most office jobs are like that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT