ADVERTISEMENT

Gubner leaves golf courses, gun shops, hardware's open.

So, what is Coronavirus Golf ettiquette? Don't pick up a ball out of the cup for a another player. Wipe down the cart. Wipe down your beer. One person to a cart or walk. Don't help someone look for a ball. Don't let the attendant handle your clubs. Wipe down your credit card when you get it back.

No, nothing there to be concerned about.

They can play golf, but I can't play tennis? I would be playing with seniors who aren't very social even in good times.
I guess it's because you will hold the ball,smack it at the other players face and then eventually end up holding each other's balls :)

For what it's worth, hardware stores and supply houses are generally consided essential in every state that has a stay at home order. There's not much point in allowing the construction trades to continue operating if you close down their sources of supplies.

Don't see why you shouldn't be able to play tennis. It's how clubhouse and locker room situations are handled that is critical.
At first they closed the clubhouse and locker rooms at the tennis facility, no prob. Then, about 10 days later they closed the courts at Daniel Island about a week ago. Had one set of four private clay courts open until Wednesday at 12 noon in Goose Creek, in a friend's neighborhood, but they closed them for safety reasons Wednesday at 12 noon. However, I went to Lowes in Goose Creek today, and they are doing a great business! They make announcements about maintaining 6 feet separation, no open air coughing, Plexiglas at cash registers etc., not a problem. Similar precautions we were taking on the tennis courts!

I am not suggesting the golf course be closed. I think most golfers are responsible, and are taking precautions. Lots of space on the golf course, as on the tennis courts.

At first they closed the clubhouse and locker rooms at the tennis facility, no prob. Then, about 10 days later they closed the courts at Daniel Island about a week ago. Had one set of four private clay courts open until Wednesday at 12 noon in Goose Creek, in a friend's neighborhood, but they closed them for safety reasons Wednesday at 12 noon. However, I went to Lowes in Goose Creek today, and they are doing a great business! They make announcements about maintaining 6 feet separation, no open air coughing, Plexiglas at cash registers etc., not a problem. Similar precautions we were taking on the tennis courts!

I am not suggesting the golf course be closed. I think most golfers are responsible, and are taking precautions. Lots of space on the golf course, as on the tennis courts.
After today, I could live without the golf course for awhile, but not the driving range.

After today, I could live without the golf course for awhile, but not the driving range.

I have a tennis ball machine that I have not used in a long time. Used it a lot when I was learning. I will be getting it out tomorrow. Might need some new batteries, but won't take long to get it operational.

Golf is a much harder and more frustrating game than tennis. I wish I had been good at it, but at least I gave it a try.

Gun shops- they don’t sound essential to me. What is the reasoning?

Golf courses? This order has ‘I don’t want to stop playing golf and talking politics with my buddies’ written all over it. Or the likely hood of catching the virus in small groups spread out over a field may be very small. They also haven’t shut down the down town river walk areas where people are playing all over the place on top of each other. Touching railing, stuff in the bathrooms, etc etc..... probably the same type of contact as on a golf course.

Hardware stores? They are essential if you have some sort of household maintenance emergency and need supplies or equipment to fix flood damage or something. Limit the number of people inside at once like they currently are.

Gyms, rec centers, even golf courses, public parks, and things like that aren’t essential and IMO should be shut down. Leave grocery stores and hardware stores open. Keep restaurants open but curb side take out or delivery only. Also drug stores like CVS and Walgreens are essential.

right now we are using the bare minimum to keep American running. Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS, UPS, FedEx, Amazon and USPS delivery, food places and Hospitals.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="PalmettoG27, post: 5062791, member: 116632"]Gun shops- they don’t sound essential to me. What is the reasoning?

Golf courses? This order has ‘I don’t want to stop playing golf and talking politics with my buddies’ written all over it. Or the likely hood of catching the virus in small groups spread out over a field may be very small. They also haven’t shut down the down town river walk areas where people are playing all over the place on top of each other. Touching railing, stuff in the bathrooms, etc etc..... probably the same type of contact as on a golf course.

Hardware stores? They are essential if you have some sort of household maintenance emergency and need supplies or equipment to fix flood damage or something. Limit the number of people inside at once like they currently are.

Gyms, rec centers, even golf courses, public parks, and things like that aren’t essential and IMO should be shut down. Leave grocery stores and hardware stores open. Keep restaurants open but curb side take out or delivery only. Also drug stores like CVS and Walgreens are essential.

right now we are using the bare minimum to keep American running. Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS, UPS, FedEx, Amazon and USPS delivery, food places and Hospitals.[/QUOTE]

Some people hunt as to provide meat for themselves and their family.

Gun shops- they don’t sound essential to me. What is the reasoning?

right now we are using the bare minimum to keep American running. Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS, UPS, FedEx, Amazon and USPS delivery, food places and Hospitals.

Also, golfing is a primary source of exercise for senior citizens.

[QUOTE="PalmettoG27, post: 5062791, member: 116632"]Gun shops- they don’t sound essential to me. What is the reasoning?

Do most hunters not keep a few extra boxes of bullets laying around? Could they not “hunt” for a pack of chicken or hamburger meat at the grocery store for a week?

Do most hunters not keep a few extra boxes of bullets laying around? Could they not “hunt” for a pack of chicken or hamburger meat at the grocery store for a week?

Trying to avoid the grocery store... crowds and all, ya know.

They could power walk around their neighborhoods and do exercises in their homes. They closed my gym down so that’s what I do!

Good for you! It seems like you really only considering your own lifestyle... My dad can't power walk, so, he's able to get out and swing some clubs.

Why did you change your post?

Why did you quote so fast? Lol

I changed it because I’d rather make the point that you can do whatever your thing is from home and people should be. I’m not suggesting a lifestyle change- The CoronaVirus is forcing it on everyone. I enjoyed going to the gym everyday for my primary source of exercise. Now I’m stuck using my weight bench and barbell set at home. It’s not the same as lifting at the glorious MUV fitness. But the gym is not essential for someone’s primary source of exercise and neither is a golf course. You can workout from home and you can swing a golf club from home. If you don’t have the equipment do some pushups and sit ups until this blows over.

Last edited:
Why did you quote so fast? Lol

I changed it because I’d rather make the point that you can do whatever your thing is from home. And in this case it was golf and you don’t have to change to power walking as I suggested. Although it wouldn’t be a bad idea. I’m not suggesting a lifestyle change- The CoronaVirus is forcing it. I enjoyed going to the gym everyday for my primary source of exercise. Not I’m stuck using my weight bench and barbell set at home. People can’t eat out anymore, we aren’t supposed to have dinner parties with 3 or more people, we can’t find toilet tissue or wet wipes, etc etc....

Do you know how pissed mom would be if he swung clubs in the house?

Reactions: king ward
It's apparent that some people are having issues with the idea that other people might be finding a way to experience a little normalcy during these bizarre times, even if the mode of having it is relatively safe. I get that. I can also assure those people that my life is also a fractured version of its former self. Some people aren't engaged in pastimes that are carried out in a large, open, outdoor setting in small groups, and that the indoor necessities attendant to it are under strict regulation.

Yes of course.

I enjoy target shooting and a little hunting myself. I have plenty of ammo- boxes and boxes of both shotgun, rifle and pistol ammo. Someone who takes pride in their guns always has plenty of ammo on hand. You don’t let yourself get low because the urge to go hunting or target shooting can hit at anytime.

my brother in law is the most enthusiastic hunter I know. He has more than enough meat for him and his family for weeks and weeks in his freezer. But again, he has more ammo than I do, and that’s a lot. Plus, the mom and pop hardware store he likes sells ammo and is an FFL holder so he can still order and pick up a gun if he so desires. So it’s open anyway.

McMaster leaves gun stores open because politically, in South Carolina, the extremists in our state will come out accusing him of wanting to take guns away from citizens because the stores were shut down for a few weeks.

The furniture store “lobby” won’t accuse him of wanting to take furniture away from citizens, but that’s what folks will do with guns. It’s illogical but don’t let that get in the way of a nutty argument. Even in South Carolina, plenty of the more extreme gun folks are paranoid despite how unreasonable it might be.

even without it, on social media, I’ve seen McMaster called names I wouldn’t call a serial killer. So he’s in a no win situation as any governor would be.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddw1263
Playing golf, you are in the wide open, you know who you're playing with, there is no entry in a clubhouse area, the cart is wiped down, you have one glove on if touching something you think is in danger, so golf is one of the few things that can be done.
Are you not of the belief that most people are catching this virus from people they know or are in contact with?

I played yesterday. We all had our own cart. We maintained our distance. The club wipes down the cart and I took wipes and did it as well. If I touched something that I suspected had not been wiped, sand bottles, then I had disinfectant with me to wipe down my hands.

I would suggest that I was safer yesterday on the course than going to the grocery store. Who stocked the shelves? Where has the check out person and bagger been? Who just checked out using the card machine?

I am good with golf opening up but I would not allow carts at this time. Could be transferring germs and not know it. I am good with golfing with a group as long as they stay at a distance. If breaking the rules, kick them out and send their names throughout the state and don’t let them golf here again.

Tennis is different. If you hit balls solo on a machine I’m fine with. Just sanitize the machine if someone else uses it. If you played doubles or played singles against an a symptomatic carrier, you’re spreading the virus.

I’m fine for people getting out. The ding dongs at Wal Mart are spreading this like Wild fire.

My original post was sort of a joke, sort of a question. A play on the state of Bubba, which is pretty funny because I'm somewhat of a Bubba. Of the three entities I mentioned, to me, real danger exists in the garden center of the big box hardware. These places have been slammed with all the pent up people looking for yardwork to do. A buddy writes everyday and tells me how many are at a garden center near his house. I love my yard, but it ain't worth it.

I am good with golf opening up but I would not allow carts at this time. Could be transferring germs and not know it. I am good with golfing with a group as long as they stay at a distance. If breaking the rules, kick them out and send their names throughout the state and don’t let them golf here again.

Tennis is different. If you hit balls solo on a machine I’m fine with. Just sanitize the machine if someone else uses it. If you played doubles or played singles against an a symptomatic carrier, you’re spreading the virus.

I’m fine for people getting out. The ding dongs at Wal Mart are spreading this like Wild fire.
Carts are wiped down before use by the course and the user. Do you trust every package you pick up from a grocery store?

I played basketball last week. It was with my 13 year old son, who lives in my house with me. If I played tennis or golf, he would have been my playing partner in those instances as well. If I go shooting or fishing in the next couple of weeks, he'll be my partner in those activities as well. It's possible to do a lot of our usual outdoors activities in ways that present practically zero risk of catching the virus. It may not be possible for a resident of NYC to do any of those activities without coming into contact with others, but it's certainly possible here in Montana and it's probably possible in many instances in SC. Its OK to acknowledge that people in different parts of the country will have different requirements in order to comply with social distancing.

Exactly, when I play golf with my wife we ride in the same cart. I mean we rode there in the car together. Not with anyone else. Everyone else stays apart.

Knock on wood, Hart county GA has held steady at 3 reported cases for several days now. Hope most of our folks are being serious about this thing and it stays low.

My original post was sort of a joke, sort of a question. A play on the state of Bubba, which is pretty funny because I'm somewhat of a Bubba. Of the three entities I mentioned, to me, real danger exists in the garden center of the big box hardware. These places have been slammed with all the pent up people looking for yardwork to do. A buddy writes everyday and tells me how many are at a garden center near his house. I love my yard, but it ain't worth it.

I drove by the parking lot of the Lowes in Camden about 11 am this morning. I did not get out of my car.

it was packed in the parking lot. I visit this store regularly and it was at least 30% more crowded in the lot than a normal Saturday.

I saw an elderly couple, clearly in their late 70s to early 80s walking outside the garden center looking at flowers (the flowers they set up just outside between the garden center and the parking lot). The lady was walking with a cane. The man was walking beside her. Both had masks on. It was an eye opener.

I then drove by the Walmart in Camden, it was the opposite. It was about 50% less crowded in the parking lot than a normal Saturday. The roads to and from seemed much less crowded. The restaurants that I drove by had drive throughs open and they seemed to not have much business at all.

The courses I play wipe down the cart after every round. You can't touch the stick and a couple have the cups upside down so you don't have to reach down into the cup.

I drove by the parking lot of the Lowes in Camden about 11 am this morning. I did not get out of my car.

it was packed in the parking lot. I visit this store regularly and it was at least 30% more crowded in the lot than a normal Saturday.

I saw an elderly couple, clearly in their late 70s to early 80s walking outside the garden center looking at flowers (the flowers they set up just outside between the garden center and the parking lot). The lady was walking with a cane. The man was walking beside her. Both had masks on. It was an eye opener.

I then drove by the Walmart in Camden, it was the opposite. It was about 50% less crowded in the parking lot than a normal Saturday. The roads to and from seemed much less crowded. The restaurants that I drove by had drive throughs open and they seemed to not have much business at all.
Dang, I don't think I'd want to go anywhere in Camden right now. lol.

Interesting about seeing all the old people out and about (even with masks). I posted in another thread that it seems any time I'm out and about, I see a bunch of presumably high-risk old folks going about their business, often more oblivious to the dangers than the mask-wearing old folks you saw.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT