ADVERTISEMENT

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA! THE COUNTRY I LOVE AND WOULD DIE FOR IN

ImperturbableUnequaledCicada-size_restricted.gif

“No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.” – Attributed to General George Patton Jr

Yes, you do have to be willing to die for your country to get into the position to kill the enemy.

Reactions: winloseortie
“No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.” – Attributed to General George Patton Jr

Yes, you do have to be willing to die for your country to get into the position to kill the enemy.
In Patton's day, yes, but we can kill remotely from the other side of the world, with no human risk, currently.

Nah, the Iraq War was a farce and a disgrace months before it started.
It is not a disgrace to stop the genocide of a whole group of people. That's why the war was a multi-national event to stop the use of WMDs. Fortunately, Assad agreed to release the majority of the stockpile he received from Hussein for destruction (off the coast of Syria).

I like Patton's philosophy, let the other SOB die for his. People were upset with Eisenhower for letting the Russians take Berlin. They lost 15 million men.

Reactions: cockofdawn
It is not a disgrace to stop the genocide of a whole group of people. That's why the war was a multi-national event to stop the use of WMDs. Fortunately, Assad agreed to release the majority of the stockpile he received from Hussein for destruction (off the coast of Syria).
Were these the chemical weapons we gave Hussein in the 1980's? Get a clue.

Were these the chemical weapons we gave Hussein in the 1980's? Get a clue.

Yes. Some time later chemical weapons were found.

Nah, the Iraq War was a farce and a disgrace months before it started.

I don't know. I've heard so many different versions from so called experts I don't know what to believe. I heard Bush 43 got bad information about WMD, so maybe we didn't know from the word "Go".

Eh. Corporate greed and unchecked capitalism have disillusioned me to much of what this country has to offer. I love the country, but I really wish that it would do more for her people that aren't the top 1%.

"...And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country." - President John F. Kennedy

Reactions: TarCock29
"...And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country." - President John F. Kennedy
Easy for a man to say whose family provided for him his whole life. Some people work hard and give for their country to get nothing in return, or even to have what little they have taken from them. I've done for my country, and in the nature of contracts, it's her turn.

Reactions: lostcock
Easy for a man to say whose family provided for him his whole life. Some people work hard and give for their country to get nothing in return, or even to have what little they have taken from them. I've done for my country, and in the nature of contracts, it's her turn.

What does this country not provide you with that you think you are entitled to?

What does this country not provide you with that you think you are entitled to?
I wasn't clear. I didn't mean me specifically. I do mean how it allows big business to screw over the little man. So for me, consumer protection, or limiting corporate exploitation of people. There are those worse off than me who the country is failing. But for me, it would definitely be consumer protection since corporations can lobby for laws to protect them while they scam customers, some of which have no options. The oligarchy of corporations that run the country in their respective fields (oil, entertainment, pharmaceutical, etc) and the levels they will sink to to be able to exploit their customers to pay over inflated salaries to their executives while also abusing the ground level people actually doing the work to make that profit is just disgusting. And they get away with it because they can buy votes in the legislature to make (or not make) the laws in a manner that benefits them. So that's what I'm entitled to, consumer protection from oligarchal corporations who work together to extract the most out of the 99%, be it their low level employees or their customers.

Reactions: howard13
I wasn't clear. I didn't mean me specifically. I do mean how it allows big business to screw over the little man. So for me, consumer protection, or limiting corporate exploitation of people. There are those worse off than me who the country is failing. But for me, it would definitely be consumer protection since corporations can lobby for laws to protect them while they scam customers, some of which have no options. The oligarchy of corporations that run the country in their respective fields (oil, entertainment, pharmaceutical, etc) and the levels they will sink to to be able to exploit their customers to pay over inflated salaries to their executives while also abusing the ground level people actually doing the work to make that profit is just disgusting. And they get away with it because they can buy votes in the legislature to make (or not make) the laws in a manner that benefits them. So that's what I'm entitled to, consumer protection from oligarchal corporations who work together to extract the most out of the 99%, be it their low level employees or their customers.

The entertainment industry is not a neccesity and supply and demand (rather lack of demand) will remedy that. The same can be said, although not to as great of a degree about oil. The only valid one of the three that i see is big pharma.
If you truly want to see who is to blame in all this, look at Congress. They are the ones with no interest in anything but getting re-elected.

The entertainment industry is not a neccesity and supply and demand (rather lack of demand) will remedy that. The same can be said, although not to as great of a degree about oil. The only valid one of the three that i see is big pharma.
If you truly want to see who is to blame in all this, look at Congress. They are the ones with no interest in anything but getting re-elected.
Congress is part of the governmental machine that is the US. And it is an across the board problem. Simply because something is "unnecessary" in your eyes does not make their abuse and transgressions less real or valid.

He lost his much loved brother in WW2. He served himself suffering injury that would cause him excruciating pain the rest of his life. He knew about sacrifice.

It never occurred to me until this week, but Betsy Ross was the first female America hero that young girls could aspire to be as a patriotic hero of the Revolutionary War. Guys could pick numerous male heroes, Washington, Franklin, the Swamp Fox, etc., Betsy Ross was the big hero for the girls growing up.

How bout Emily Geiger in South Carolina

A HEART BEAT.

Man, I admire it. I do. I love our country immensely and get a little choked up whenever I hear our national anthem. I always wish I had gone in the military and served and feel a little jealous/guilty that I didn't pull the trigger when I was younger. I'd love to think I'd die for my country...what a noble thing.

But then I think about never seeing my precious wife, daughter and son again. My daughter and son growing never remembering me is what would really kill me...that's just tough. Definitely have the highest respect for the guys who face that possible reality every single day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT