ADVERTISEMENT

Has each generation gotten progressively worse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your hilarious. Thanks for more of your priceless banter. Yes my mom was a failure because math is bad and English is much more important. Funny it seems like you understand me just fine. Your English training must have been given to you by the school yard bully talking about your mom everyday. Math is the only thing that can be proven and is always right or wrong. English is a language which has been changing every day by your liberal buddies. English is a farce

RollLaugh

English can’t be proven? I can understand why seeking a degree wasn’t your thing.

it feels like I’m arguing with my uncle Rick who dropped out of high school in the 10th grade.

Reactions: 803blf
An exception doesn’t prove a rule. Even children know that.

as a college graduate, I worked a temp job once, for a year for several reasons. I needed a job. I also needed flexibility to continue with graduate school. But it was temporary for a reason.

Watching someone throw a bomb at the end of the 2nd quarter for a TD doesn’t mean throwing a deep pass on every play is smart. It would be stupid.

The fact is college graduates make more money in our economy than non college graduates. You don’t have to like it. It’s simply reality.

The exception is how I’ve always lived my life. I know there’s a better way to do something and I figure it out. That’s what I do. I wasn’t wired to be a sheep and follow the heard. That’s why I don’t trust the bs that’s spoon fed to everyone. That’s why I question everything and VERIFY it myself. Nothing is verified unless you verify it.

If you like doing it the way they tell you to that’s your business. Just don’t ever expect exceptional outcomes like I do

The exception is how I’ve always lived my life. I know there’s a better way to do something and I figure it out. That’s what I do. I wasn’t wired to be a sheep and follow the heard. That’s why I don’t trust the bs that’s spoon fed to everyone. That’s why I question everything and VERIFY it myself. Nothing is verified unless you verify it.

If you like doing it the way they tell you to that’s your business. Just don’t ever expect exceptional outcomes like I do

The goofy thing is that you think you are somehow unique. That’s strange.

How you live your life doesn’t mean anything when it comes to how someone else chooses to live their life, based on their experiences.

Why in the world do you think college doesn’t teach people to think for themselves? You listen to too much Fox News and right wing radio.

both at USC and during my graduate school experience, no one ever even suggested what I was to think about anything political, It was just the opposite. The book I wrote in graduate school was solely based on my experience and thoughts about my chosen profession. I had to defend it with facts and research that was able to be tested and repeated, but no one ever told me what to say or think. That’s utterly ridiculous.

The amusing thing is this stupid refrain of how “college tells students what to think“ only applies when those students look at facts and arrive at a different conclusion than yours.

RollLaugh

English can’t be proven? I can understand why seeking a degree wasn’t your thing.

it feels like I’m arguing with my uncle Rick who dropped out of high school in the 10th grade.

Point......... when does ADVANCED “English” matter? How does it help me figure my ROI, geometric angles on my home, BTU,s required to heat or cool sq ft........... etc etc etc............. seriously I’m interested. How does a 6 or 7 year college investment in English make sense? I do want to know. In what market is there a demand for English?

How you live your life doesn’t mean anything when it comes to how someone else chooses to live their life, based on their experiences.

Why in the world do you think college doesn’t teach people to think for themselves? You listen to too much Fox News and right wing radio.

both at USC and during my graduate school experience, no one ever even suggested what I was to think about anything political, It was just the opposite. The book I wrote in graduate school was solely based on my experience and thoughts about my chosen profession. I had to defend it with facts and research that was able to be tested and repeated, but no one ever told me what to say or think. That’s utterly ridiculous.

The amusing thing is this stupid refrain of how “college tells students what to think“ only applies when those students look at facts and arrive at a different conclusion than yours.

You can think for yourself without going to college. Learning is possible without some overpaid professors telling you what to do or what to learn. A lot of crap you don’t want or need is my only gripe with colleges. That and it’s way to expensive for what it is.

Not nearly as much as they would have grown in the military. They would have been more disciplined, made some money and left smarter, stronger and a proud American!
I spent 8 years in this man’s Army (4 years active, 4 years in the Reserves) prior to going to school. Lemme tell you why you rarely see someone on the street corner holding a sign that says, “Homeless College Graduate. Please Help!” Same reason why you see programs to help homeless vets and none that are set up to assist homeless graduates.

And while I wouldn’t change a thing, I can guarantee you that it was my time spent in the military that made me realize that I need to get my ass in gear and continue my education rather than sitting around firing cannons for the next 20 years.

Reactions: Rollerdude123
You can think for yourself without going to college. Learning is possible without some overpaid professors telling you what to do or what to learn. A lot of crap you don’t want or need is my only gripe with colleges. That and it’s way to expensive for what it is.

Of course you can think for yourself without going to college. Who would say otherwise?

learning is possible in a lot of places but college is a very valuable experience. I treasured it. My opinions were challenged, my knowledge was expanded, and I lived with and made friends with people that I would have never encountered otherwise.

plus, college was an absolute blast. My best friends are from college, not high school. The connections I made in college have been invaluable to me from a professional and personal standpoint.

several of my professors that especially stood out would push me, challenge me, and advocate for me.

they taught me not only what I wanted to learn about but also challenged me to learn about things I never would have considered had it not been for them. That widened my view and has proven to be very rewarding in many ways.

I spent 8 years in this man’s Army (4 years active, 4 years in the Reserves) prior to going to school. Lemme tell you why you rarely see someone on the street corner holding a sign that says, “Homeless College Graduate. Please Help!” Same reason why you see programs to help homeless vets and none that are set up to assist homeless graduates.

And while I wouldn’t change a thing, I can guarantee you that it was my time spent in the military that made me realize that I need to get my ass in gear and continue my education rather than sitting around firing cannons for the next 20 years.
I've know two people with MAs that couldn't hold any job. They didn't advertise their degrees. Homelessness is usually the result of mental illness, substance abuse or both.

I can honestly say that I don’t remember any of my professors at USC or USC Law stating any political opinions in the seven years I was in Columbia. Not sure where this “indoctrination” line comes from.

But college isn’t for everyone - and doesn’t need to be. Not everyone needs college to find a lucrative way to support themselves. I certainly did need college to do what I do and am pleased with my decision. Though maybe I’ve been brainwashed into thinking it was a good decision?

I’m in no way unique. There are a lot of Americans who do it their way and don’t follow the “blueprint” for life that society set forth. It’s really just a lot of common sense, creativity and questioning WHY a lot.

Point......... when does ADVANCED “English” matter? How does it help me figure my ROI, geometric angles on my home, BTU,s required to heat or cool sq ft........... etc etc etc............. seriously I’m interested. How does a 6 or 7 year college investment in English make sense? I do want to know. In what market is there a demand for English?

My mother in law was an English Prof. She taught hundreds of teachers, soon to be lawyers, soon to be doctors, soon to be advertising executives. All of those folks have to be able to write clearly, descriptively, intelligently, and expansively. Their careers depend on it.

She also wrote 4 books, including a college textbook.

She was rewarded quite nicely.

I’m in no way unique. There are a lot of Americans who do it their way and don’t follow the “blueprint” for life that society set forth. It’s really just a lot of common sense, creativity and questioning WHY a lot.

And plenty of those people attend and graduate from college all the time.

Not going to college doesn’t give someone a leg up on “doing it my way,”

I can honestly say that I don’t remember any of my professors at USC or USC Law stating any political opinions in the seven years I was in Columbia. Not sure where this “indoctrination” line comes from.

But college isn’t for everyone - and doesn’t need to be. Not everyone needs college to find a lucrative way to support themselves. I certainly did need college to do what I do and am pleased with my decision. Though maybe I’ve been brainwashed into thinking it was a good decision?

Dr Angel at USC would seemingly hold one political opinion one day in class, and the next class period take the same topic and take the opposite position.

He challenged us to argue both sides with facts, not opinion. Some folks in class were convinced he was on one side, and other folks were convinced he held the exact opposite political opinion. I never could tell. But some were convinced, but they didn’t agree. LOL.

I also never had a professor tell me what to think on a political topic. I had some share their view but not once did any of them suggest I had to agree with them for a grade or anything else.

my son just finished his freshman year at USC. He says his experience, so far, has been the same.

I think college is for Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers and teachers, However teachers should go for free because they aren’t going to get rich and shouldn’t have to go in debt to teach our children.

I’ve said it many times. The Marxist influences on college campuses are extremely prevalent. That is where we lose our teenagers and they become what we see now. It’s been that way since the 60’s but it has been put into hyperdrive now. China now has its tentacles in it. Throw in student loan debt and you have a toxic soup and an easily misled student population. College is very expensive indoctrination. At Calcott, on USC’s campus, virtually every professor is a committed leftist. I know, i spent my time in that building for my major. If we don’t hold colleges accountable then this won’t change.

Reactions: cocks rule
I’ve said it many times. The Marxist influences on college campuses are extremely prevalent. That is where we lose our teenagers and they become what we see now. It’s been that way since the 60’s but it has been put into hyperdrive now. China now has its tentacles in it. Throw in student loan debt and you have a toxic soup and an easily misled student population. College is very expensive indoctrination. At Calcott, on USC’s campus, virtually every professor is a committed leftist. I know, i spent my time in that building for my major. If we don’t hold colleges accountable then this won’t change.

I don’t believe a word of any of that.

The great majority of young people are swayed by their own beliefs, friends, and experiences.

few 18-20 year olds form their political opinions based on what any 40-60 year old adult thinks about anything.

in fact, the more an adult talks about an issue, many young people run the opposite direction.

I suspect a lot of adults that are conservative fear their child “going liberal” because of some nameless professor is actually seeing a child rebel against what they learned at home.

And plenty of those people attend and graduate from college all the time.

Not going to college doesn’t give someone a leg up on “doing it my way,”

And plenty didn’t go to college. If you don’t need college it saves a minimum of 4 years of your prime years and hundreds of thousands of dollars. It’s a no brainer.

But I forgot I’m talking to a english guy. A math guy would see that. Lol

I don’t believe a word of any of that.

The great majority of young people are swayed by their own beliefs, friends, and experiences.

few 18-20 year olds form their political opinions based on what any 40-60 year old adult thinks about anything.

in fact, the more an adult talks about an issue, many young people run the opposite direction.

I suspect a lot of adults that are conservative fear their child “going liberal” because of some nameless professor is actually seeing a child rebel against what they learned at home.

Most children raised with 2 good parents will carry that faith and belief with them throughout life.

Wait, so now China has infiltrated our system of higher education in an effort to turn our youth into little communists?

lol, did Q’Anon tell you this?

And plenty didn’t go to college. If you don’t need college it saves a minimum of 4 years of your prime years and hundreds of thousands of dollars. It’s a no brainer.

But I forgot I’m talking to a english guy. A math guy would see that. Lol

I'm actually both.

graduating college gives someone more options. It's just a matter of reality.

My mother in law was an English Prof. She taught hundreds of teachers, soon to be lawyers, soon to be doctors, soon to be advertising executives. All of those folks have to be able to write clearly, descriptively, intelligently, and expansively. Their careers depend on it.
In my line of work, nothing draws more ire than a poorly written technical paper or report that is full of grammatical mistakes. Especially when it comes from our end.

Most children raised with 2 good parents will carry that faith and belief with them throughout life.

I reject the premise.

My college roommate was a liberal activist in college. His parents were pretty conservative. He had great values and stuck to them, but his politics were quite liberal.

I also knew a young man in college than ran for student senate. He was extremely conservative. He had great values. He didn't win the election but was respected. He often described his dad as a 60s radical, and his mom as a stay at home typical american mom.

Children, throughout history, have sought their own path. Some will venture off and return. Some will go their own way.

They can have great values regardless.

In my line of work, nothing draws more ire than a poorly written technical paper or report that is full of grammatical mistakes. Especially when it comes from our end.

In the insurance industry, safety world, and marketing world, if you can't write clear, detailed reports you won't last longer than a month.

I'm actually both.

graduating college gives someone more options. It's just a matter of reality.

Reality is options are plentiful. This is the USA where options aren’t limited. You don’t have to pay for options. You are only limited by your own creativity and imagination.

It's strange seeing what are essentially anti-college posts from supposed Gamecock fans.

It's like they don't see the irony.

As i said earlier though, I have some practice in this thinking. My Uncle Rick dropped out of high school in the 10th grade. He's a good guy. Always a hard worker. Long retired now. He's a HUGE college sports fan, but if you get him on the subject of college, he ridicules college graduates and colleges in general. (He gets on political talking points all the time and is a bit tiresome even for people who agree with him).

Of course his real motivation for that is because he always had bosses and took orders from college grads. I'm sure some of them didn't treat him that well. So he has a lot of anger and animosity.

I reject the premise.

My college roommate was a liberal activist in college. His parents were pretty conservative. He had great values and stuck to them, but his politics were quite liberal.

I also knew a young man in college than ran for student senate. He was extremely conservative. He had great values. He didn't win the election but was respected. He often described his dad as a 60s radical, and his mom as a stay at home typical american mom.

Children, throughout history, have sought their own path. Some will venture off and return. Some will go their own way.

They can have great values regardless.

“Most” was the key word in my post. Someone would assume an ENGLISH pro would recognize that.

I feel the same way every time I ever read stuff like this. Even in my political science classes there was zero attempt to get you to do anything but read, comprehend and debate. One of the classes was taught by a Peggy Noonan aid which certainly wouldn’t be viewed as liberal. Of course since she is not a blind loyalist I’m sure people would argue that now.

I do find it ironic that the crew that complains the most about “brainwashing” is simply spewing things they are told by TV hosts as opposed to any actual experience with this.

Reactions: paladin181
With the exception of 25-30% the under 30 generation in this Country are Republic killers. They've been bathed in Socialism by these worthless professors who've never had a real job in their life.

yeah, I’m 31 and I share zero values/beliefs that these stupid kids nowadays have. I’m ashamed that I hold the title of Millenial.

With the exception of 25-30% the under 30 generation in this Country are Republic killers. They've been bathed in Socialism by these worthless professors who've never had a real job in their life.

Unfortunately they do not have to go to college to be bathed in socialism, they get it from the time they are in preschool until they graduate from high school. In preschool the whole sharing things idea, that you cannot just enjoy your toy, you have to give it to some kid that does not have one. The sports where everyone is a winner, we don't keep score. The revisionist history in the text book brought to you by left wing teachers. The lack of discipline in the schools where some can get away with anything because of their race. It all adds up over the years to entitled kids who have no moral code, no understanding of our history and place in the world, no idea what a work ethic is because they were given everything with no requirement to work for it.

Reality is options are plentiful. This is the USA where options aren’t limited. You don’t have to pay for options. You are only limited by your own creativity and imagination.

Up to a point. Many companies use the reality of a college degree as a requirement for certain jobs that pay a certain amount of money.

Without one, you are often more limited in your options, than someone who knocks out the degree requirement.

Plus, in some industries, advanced certifications require a degree. They won't accept alternatives.

For example, my nephew has a knack for electrical troubleshooting. He works at a plant, in a new job, as a helper and assembly line operator. At his plant in South Carolina, no one works on the machines without at least a 2 year degree in industrial electronics. They also require several certifications beyond a degree. Could he do the work? Maybe- something simple under supervision. But without the degree, he's not allowed to touch it. The plant won't allow it. The plant's liability insurance won't allow it. The plant's customer won't allow it for their product.

As a result, he doesn't earn the pay that someone doing that job would take home. He's learning that reality right now and his opinion on going back to college is starting to change.

“Most” was the key word in my post. Someone would assume an ENGLISH pro would recognize that.

It's never safe to assume on message boards. Fundamental reading skills have revealed that reality for years. You'll catch on one day.

In preschool the whole sharing things idea, that you cannot just enjoy your toy, you have to give it to some kid that does not have one..

Wow- preschools now make children give "their toy" to other children that don't have toys?

That must be brand new.

Now, I have seen plenty of preschools that happen to supply toys for all the children to play with remind a child that the toys are there for everyone to play with and share. But I had no idea they were forcing children to give a toy that doesn't belong to them anyway to another child.

That's wild and crazy......

Up to a point. Many companies use the reality of a college degree as a requirement for certain jobs that pay a certain amount of money.

Without one, you are often more limited in your options, than someone who knocks out the degree requirement.

Plus, in some industries, advanced certifications require a degree. They won't accept alternatives.

For example, my nephew has a knack for electrical troubleshooting. He works at a plant, in a new job, as a helper and assembly line operator. At his plant in South Carolina, no one works on the machines without at least a 2 year degree in industrial electronics. They also require several certifications beyond a degree. Could he do the work? Maybe- something simple under supervision. But without the degree, he's not allowed to touch it. The plant won't allow it. The plant's liability insurance won't allow it. The plant's customer won't allow it for their product.

As a result, he doesn't earn the pay that someone doing that job would take home. He's learning that reality right now and his opinion on going back to college is starting to change.

All of your arguments for college degrees are based on working for companies or corporations. I can see why your making your arguments. The bottom line is you are inside the box. You have been programmed to that way of thinking.

You will never get rich working for someone else. This is a fact.

Capitalism is a wonderful thing. There are so many ways to be very successful if you can overcome Traditional ways of earning.

Last edited:
Reactions: LakeMurrayUSCFan
It's never safe to assume on message boards. Fundamental reading skills have revealed that reality for years. You'll catch on one day.

Ok, so your English education didn’t include reading skills. Gotcha. Reading comprehension was not included in 6 years of your English degree. That’s good stuff. Lol

Maybe you’d do good with stand up comedy? Just a thought.

Yes, higher education will be the downfall of our society. I've seen it happen often. Don't want too many educated people runnin around.
It's about the corrupt worldview the academic elites push on students. I don't think it's rampant yet at USC, but it is at the vast majority of major universities nationwide. Real education is good, brainwashing by socialist elites is not good.

It's about the corrupt worldview the academic elites push on students. I don't think it's rampant yet at USC, but it is at the vast majority of major universities nationwide. Real education is good, brainwashing by socialist elites is not good.
There's always Bob Jones and Liberty

From what I've seen, whether high school or college, the students don't know basic American history. They don't know who the first President was, or who the Revolutionary War was fought against, don't know anything about the national anthem or who wrote it and definitely have little knowledge in the wars the US fought. Instead they know about global warming, anti-capitalism and how evil the US has been since it's creation. If they're not the victim, then someone else is.

All of your arguments for college degrees are based on working for companies or corporations. I can see why your making your arguments. The bottom line is you are inside the box. You have been programmed to that way of thinking.

You will never get rich working for someone else. This is a fact.

Capitalism is a wonderful thing. There are so many ways to be very successful if you can overcome Traditional ways of earning.

Getting "rich" is a relative term. For some people, having a steady job, family, house and a few cars is rich and enough to fall back on if they lost their job for 6 months. For others it's having a few million in the bank.

Getting "rich" is simply not the goal of most people. Most people want to be comfortable and do something they enjoy.

We know that only 23% of Americans have an emergency fund that would allow them to pay for basic needs for 4-6 months.

We also know only 41% of Americans would be able to cover a $1,000 emergency with cash. 37% say they'd have to use a credit card or ask for help from family.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/21/41-...cover-1000-dollar-emergency-with-savings.html

40% of Americans work for large companies (2,500 - 9,999 employees). 26% work for midsize companies, and 34% work for small employers.

My goal for my career was never to "get rich". My goal (and I think most people) was to do something I enjoy doing and make enough money at it to have a comfortable life and do what I want to do. I didn't want a job where someone is telling me what to do every day.

Ok, so your English education didn’t include reading skills. Gotcha. Reading comprehension was not included in 6 years of your English degree. That’s good stuff. Lol

Maybe you’d do good with stand up comedy? Just a thought.

I have a technical degree, not an English degree. I simply respect people that choose to pursue higher education and graduate with a degree of their choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT