ADVERTISEMENT

Has Herbie been hitting the sauce? He just said UGA will either stay at 4 or go up to 3. Don`t see

I would take UCF head to head against anybody in the east other than UGA . They are legit . UCF has the highest enrollment of any school in Florida and their Facilities are top notch . Not saying they can hang with the Bama , Clemson’s , or Oklahoma’s of the world but if they were in the East right now they would easily be the 2nd best team in the conference . I think they just need to expand and add UCF in the east and Oklahoma into the west . The big 12 in dying anyway so make it happen .
How is the Big 12 dying? They think they've got it figured out.

You gotta play the schedule that's set before you. The only problem I have is the protected status of Notre Dame. The CFP itself is sublime. If Notre Dame were to be left out and Georgia included, I'd be ecstatic because it would force Notre Dame to finally do what they ought to do.

Totally agree with you . Notre Dame certainly has a major advantage not having a championship game . I will say in their defense on paper their schedule was pretty legit to start the season but no one would bet teams like USC and Stanford would drop off the radar . Again, there’s no way they should be in Over UGA , Oklahoma, or even UCF at this rate , but we all know they will .

Different time, different format, and different teams - and certainly no one in that mix who was as good as the two teams that played today. Which team that is likely to be in the CFP this year would you exclude for such as UCF?

Exclude? I'd have to go with ND. I'm with you 100%. ND does not belong. But on top of not belonging, I honestly do think UCF would beat ND straight up. Any field. (With UCF's regular QB mind you) I think UCF would give Clemmy a run for their money, but I couldn't bring myself to exclude Clemmy. I could even go so far as to leave out OU, but I don't think UCF could beat OU. I think OU's offense is too strong.

I'm not deliberately trying to argue with you or troll you. I think my main point here is there is definitely SOME reasonable doubt and that's why I think the CFP should be extended to at least 6. I think 6 would be a good compromise.

Exclude? I'd have to go with ND. I'm with you 100%. ND does not belong. But on top of not belonging, I honestly do think UCF would beat ND straight up. Any field. (With UCF's regular QB mind you) I think UCF would give Clemmy a run for their money, but I couldn't bring myself to exclude Clemmy. I could even go so far as to leave out OU, but I don't think UCF could beat OU. I think OU's offense is too strong.

I'm not deliberately trying to argue with you or troll you. I think my main point here is there is definitely SOME reasonable doubt and that's why I think the CFP should be extended to at least 6. I think 6 would be a good compromise.
I appreciate you thoughtfulness and civility. I think the playoff will expand. I think that, when it does, certain aspects of it which make it compelling now will be lost. Conversations like this one will be lost. I wish UCF were a Power Five team. As it is, they are analogous to a territory belonging to a nation made of states. I wouldn't be in favor of adding Puerto Rico, either.;)

I appreciate you thoughtfulness and civility. I think the playoff will expand. I think that, when it does, certain aspects of it which make it compelling now will be lost. Conversations like this one will be lost. I wish UCF were a Power Five team. As it is, they are analogous to a territory belonging to a nation made of states. I wouldn't be in favor of adding Puerto Rico, either.;)

I've read enough of your posts. You're alright in my book KW. You've given me no reason to not be civil to you. We're just talking ball. Listen, I totally get what you're saying. There's a very big part of me that agrees with you about UCF. But when I really stop and think about it I think: Could UCF beat ND? I think so. Clemson? Doubtful but maybe. And we can stop right there. That alone gives me enough reasonable doubt to say: Maybe a 24-25 win streak team like UCF should get a shot..... maybe.

Remember that ESPN deal about Spurrier: "The Believer?" Spurrier said (basically) "Imagine if we played and nobody kept score." --- I'm kinda arguing the same thing. Without arguing. Nobody can argue the scoreboard is what I'm saying.

Reactions: king ward
If the committee ranks Army in the top 25, then know Okie is in. The committee will do all it can to boost the resumes of their top 4 teams

I'm grading you out at 50% on that one. ;)
There is a simple solution to all of this which I have posted before.

16 teams, 4 groups of 4, round robin style with the 4 winning teams from each group moving on to the CFP.

The 16 teams are determined by a set of coefficients similar to UEFA which are based primarily on conference rank and team rank.

Group stage games fill in OOC spots on the schedule, meaning the season isn't lengthened. Games are played at neutral bowl sites which ensures continued revenue for those cities.

Some of the mystery of "the 16" is removed, because the coefficients provide a mathematical way to know ahead of time who is on track to be in.

But can you imagine the draw of the selection show when lotto balls are drawn to determine the 4 groups?

The season instantly becomes more exciting because, for example, we have Alabama vs. Michigan in week 8 of the season instead of Alabama vs. NW Indiana State.

Teams continue to focus on conference titles and wins as that determines seeding for the following year.

If you go by records they should not be in but if you go by strength of schedule they should be in honestly they would beat n dame oklahoma and clem

But if you believe Bama is the best team in the nation, and I do then one has to believe UGA is one of the four best teams in the country. Bama could have easily lost the game today in fact they were very fortunate to have won the game. Again I just believe based on performance late in the season the Dawgs are easily one of the four top teams in the nation.

But it burns my backside that the conference championship games are being played and the better teams in that conference could easily lose the championship games and hence not even make the playoffs. While ND does not even play a conference championship game and has the opportunity to get rested and not run the risk of injuries. I mean it really bothers me the ND situation is allowed to exist. How in the world is that fair to the other 129 teams in the FCS Series?
I wish the ACC would tell them join all or leave.

16 teams, 4 groups of 4, round robin style with the 4 winning teams from each group moving on to the CFP.

The 16 teams are determined by a set of coefficients similar to UEFA which are based primarily on conference rank and team rank.

Group stage games fill in OOC spots on the schedule, meaning the season isn't lengthened. Games are played at neutral bowl sites which ensures continued revenue for those cities.

Some of the mystery of "the 16" is removed, because the coefficients provide a mathematical way to know ahead of time who is on track to be in.

But can you imagine the draw of the selection show when lotto balls are drawn to determine the 4 groups?

The season instantly becomes more exciting because, for example, we have Alabama vs. Michigan in week 8 of the season instead of Alabama vs. NW Indiana State.

Teams continue to focus on conference titles and wins as that determines seeding for the following year.

iu

But if you believe Bama is the best team in the nation, and I do then one has to believe UGA is one of the four best teams in the country. Bama could have easily lost the game today in fact they were very fortunate to have won the game. Again I just believe based on performance late in the season the Dawgs are easily one of the four top teams in the nation.

But it burns my backside that the conference championship games are being played and the better teams in that conference could easily lose the championship games and hence not even make the playoffs. While ND does not even play a conference championship game and has the opportunity to get rested and not run the risk of injuries. I mean it really bothers me the ND situation is allowed to exist. How in the world is that fair to the other 129 teams in the FCS Series?
What you say makes a lot of sense, but at the end of the day I would find it hard to place a 2 loss team in the group of 4. Considering 3 of the teams are undefeated, if I was on the panel at that point I would have to put a 1 loss conference championship team to round out the field.
Don't ask me if it's OSU or Oklahoma because I still don't know.

But can you imagine the draw of the selection show when lotto balls are drawn to determine the 4 groups? I also thing this concept would afford a major college home for a school like UCF - if they really want it.

Imaginative, but probably not adoptable. Schools want to have more control over their schedules than this would allow. I have been an advocate of the Super-Conference concept in which you would have four conferences with 16 teams each - with nine conference game schedules. It would necessitate and facilitate divisional play in all conferences and the four conference winners would play off. Your idea is good; I like mine a little better because you would still play mainly in your geographic area. Probably, in the Super Conference system, we and UPC are in the same conference, which I think would enliven the rivalry more than it is.

Truthfully the 2 best teams played tonight. UGA has 2 losses but please name any team you would take over them on a neutral field other than Bama. Theyd smoke ND, Clemson, Oklahoma and OSU.
UGA played a good game but they lost in the end. Really they choked. The fake punt to Justin fields was the worst call I’ve seen this year. With coaching like that, any of those teams would have a good chance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT