ADVERTISEMENT

Have we turned the corner in Football?

MANAFOLD

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2004
I think maybe yes. If we get past UGA in game two, look out !! We match up much better with them this year. We are due to not get so much injury bug this year, hopefully. We should run the SEC table after we play UGA and then comes our match with the Pickens County flashes. Once again, barring key injuries, we should hold our own. I also predict that Muschamp and staff will out recruit Dabo this year and the years to follow. Would love to see the real Dabo personality when Champ starts kicking his arrogant ass.

No. We’ll know after this season. If we do beat GA, the next game will be the toughest of the year. Remember when we beat Bama, then lost to KY the next week?

Reactions: DiamondDave22
It'll be entertaining finding out. I love college football.

No. We’ll know after this season. If we do beat GA, the next game will be the toughest of the year. Remember when we beat Bama, then lost to KY the next week?

I was at that game in Lexington (2010). Carolina jumped out to a 14-0 lead and looked to be on cruise control, before UK made some big plays to get back in it. Garcia had a dismal 2nd half as I recall and the defense couldn't get off the field.

Regarding the program "turning the corner"... the problem with thinking of progress angularly, is that turning the corner inevitably leads to a plateau. I like the wheel concept. It takes a lot of toil and effort to get that big wheel turning, but once it does, its hard to stop. Momentum builds upon itself. Success leads to better recruiting, and better recruiting leads to greater success. And the wheel turns faster.

I think CWM and staff have picked up a lot of momentum on that big wheel, and I expect it to turn faster in 2018.

Last edited:
The win over Meshegan was a good start to turning the corner we showed some guts coming back in that game. In a way we might have turned "A" corner but time will tell which corner. We've turned the recruiting corner we have landed some talented players. I am looking for a good year. I love it when a plan comes together.

Not according to some of these clowns around here. And, no, we haven't turned the corner - not nearly.
King you didn't think we turned an important corner with Mich.? We were beaten man, done, whipped and we stormed back. That was a big win and with 8 starters back from last year on offense, not to mention Debo back coupled with a quicker defense look out. Last season most were talking about 6 wins max and we logged 9. Don't forget where we came from we have big parts of the puzzle in place.

Reactions: pettyw
King you didn't think we turned an important corner with Mich.? We were beaten man, done, whipped and we stormed back. That was a big win and with 8 starters back from last year on offense, not to mention Debo back coupled with a quicker defense look out. Last season most were talking about 6 wins max and we logged 9. Don't forget where we came from we have big parts of the puzzle in place.
What we mainly showed is that we don't quit and that Michigan needed a quarterback. It was great to get the win, but that was an 8-5 team. We have to prove a lot more than we proved against them.

What we mainly showed is that we don't quit and that Michigan needed a quarterback. It was great to get the win, but that was an 8-5 team. We have to prove a lot more than we proved against them.
We have this season to prove it but we, as always, played the underdog role against a team with the same record in the Outback. You're correct to say we didn't quit but we had every reason to lay down and didn't. We didn't quit against the Citadel either but they came from behind to beat us just two seasons ago. Also my friend we were minus some very key players in that game that we gain this year. That QB from Michigan you said wasn't very good had a 19-3 lead before we out scored them 26-0 I believe, and he didn't play defense.

We have this season to prove it but we, as always, played the underdog role against a team with the same record in the Outback. You're correct to say we didn't quit but we had every reason to lay down and didn't. We didn't quit against the Citadel either but they came from behind to beat us just two seasons ago. Also my friend we were minus some very key players in that game that we gain this year. That QB from Michigan you said wasn't very good had a 19-3 lead before we out scored them 26-0 I believe, and he didn't play defense.
He threw all kinds of interceptions and failed to make plays when the heat was on. They brought in a transfer to replace him next season. If Patterson avoids injury, he will lift them significantly. But none of that is even the point. What happened in the Outback does not establish that we have turned the corner, which is the question posed in the OP. We have a long way to go, and some significant obstacles to overcome.

Reactions: griffgolf
He threw all kinds of interceptions and failed to make plays when the heat was on. They brought in a transfer to replace him next season. If Patterson avoids injury, he will lift them significantly. But none of that is even the point. What happened in the Outback does not establish that we have turned the corner, which is the question posed in the OP. We have a long way to go, and some significant obstacles to overcome.
You have much to learn about motivation Grasshopper. We had turnovers too so it all evened out give credit to us for causing the turnovers. They won 8 wins with their QB just like we did in a tougher league. Just because some team turns a corner they still have to get to the goal after turning the corner i realize. You either turn the corner of stay where you were and we have improved so that means we're moving forward. He failed to make plays with the heat was on? King WE were the reason he had heat on him he had the lead. I give the credit to our guys you claim the other team simply folded?

You have much to learn about motivation Grasshopper. We had turnovers too so it all evened out give credit to us for causing the turnovers. They won 8 wins with their QB just like we did in a tougher league. Just because some team turns a corner they still have to get to the goal after turning the corner i realize. You either turn the corner of stay where you were and we have improved so that means we're moving forward. He failed to make plays with the heat was on? King WE were the reason he had heat on him he had the lead. I give the credit to our guys you claim the other team simply folded?
None of that means we have turned the corner. They were in disarray before we ever played them.

None of that means we have turned the corner. They were in disarray before we ever played them.
I'll type slower apparently don't read fast. We were the underdog no matter how much so called disarray they were in we outscored them 26-0 and their defense was there strength not the offense. I believe we could have turned a corner that game.

I think maybe yes. If we get past UGA in game two, look out !! We match up much better with them this year. We are due to not get so much injury bug this year, hopefully. We should run the SEC table after we play UGA and then comes our match with the Pickens County flashes. Once again, barring key injuries, we should hold our own. I also predict that Muschamp and staff will out recruit Dabo this year and the years to follow. Would love to see the real Dabo personality when Champ starts kicking his arrogant ass.

This isn't our year, next year 2019 will be that year... This year feels like 2008 year...

Not according to some of these clowns around here. And, no, we haven't turned the corner - not nearly.

YES. WE HAVE TURNED THE CORNER. NOT TRUE. I THINK WE HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO BE A PRODUCTIVE TEAM, BUT WE WILL KNOW FOR CERTAIN IN NOVEMBER.

Reactions: jonesz21

YES. WE HAVE TURNED THE CORNER. NOT TRUE. I THINK WE HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO BE A PRODUCTIVE TEAM, BUT WE WILL KNOW FOR CERTAIN IN NOVEMBER.
FB TEAM
I read above grade level. I don't think so. It remains to be seen.

I APOLOGIZE QUEEN WARD. NEVER FOCUSED ON ENGLISH GLAD YOU NOTICED QUEEN.

now wait one second! ..................that sounds like a little champagne & reefer n the fairgrounds?...............ah shucks, pop that cork & fire that bad bud up!

FB TEAM

I APOLOGIZE QUEEN WARD. NEVER FOCUSED ON ENGLISH GLAD YOU NOTICED QUEEN.
The Caps Lock key is the fourth one down from the top or third one up from the bottom on the left side of your qwerty keyboard. And there should be a period after "ENGLISH" and a comma between "NOTICED" and "QUEEN"..

I was at that game in Lexington (2010). Carolina jumped out to a 14-0 lead and looked to be on cruise control, before KU made some big plays to get back in it. Garcia had a dismal 2nd half as I recall and the defense couldn't get off the field.

Regarding the program "turning the corner"... the problem with thinking of progress angularly, is that turning the corner inevitably leads to a plateau. I like the wheel concept. It takes a lot of toil and effort to get that big wheel turning, but once it does, its hard to stop. Momentum builds upon itself. Success leads to better recruiting, and better recruiting leads to greater success. And the wheel turns faster.

I think CWM and staff have picked up a lot of momentum on that big wheel, and I expect it to turn faster in 2018.
We were at that game also. But, there is no reason to put the loss squarely on Garcia's shoulders. We had a very comfortable 28-10 lead at the half - Marcus had over 200 total yards of offense and 3 TD's in the first half alone. We lost the momentum when Marcus went down with an ankle injury early in the 3rd QTR. Spurrier was not prepared to call the game without Marcus. And, the result showed.

Reactions: Gradstudent
. . . If we get past UGA in game two, look out !! We match up much better with them this year. We are due to not get so much injury bug this year, hopefully. We should run the SEC table after we play UGA . . .
I don't throw around the "run the table" phrase. Heck, I think we have a better chance of beating UGA than running the table through the rest of our SEC schedule. That's not unique to the Gamecocks - there are TONS of "trap" games in the SEC.

As for turning the corner, which corner are you talking about? Do you mean THE corner - the corner that makes us a legit threat for the playoff? I guess anything is possible, but that discussion is way premature.

Reactions: ddw1263
@king ward you are one of the more pessimistic folks roaming about here. Not much hopefulness from your perspective, it seems. And you appear to be around the same age as I, so I've seen what you've seen. Lighten up, man.

We were at that game also. But, there is no reason to put the loss squarely on Garcia's shoulders. We had a very comfortable 28-10 lead at the half - Marcus had over 200 total yards of offense and 3 TD's in the first half alone. We lost the momentum when Marcus went down with an ankle injury early in the 3rd QTR. Spurrier was not prepared to call the game without Marcus. And, the result showed.

You have a better memory than me. I had forgotten the 28-10 lead at halftime. Wow. Hard to believe we won the East that season with three conference losses. We had better teams (IMO) the following three seasons, and better conference records.

Like you expected us to even play in the Outback?
I did not, that was a pleasant surprise. I don't want to say "turned the corner" yet though you know? Let's get back to Atlanta first. Honestly after what Steve did here it would take more than getting to Atlanta once to say we turned the corner IMO...Steve Spurrier took us to a #4 final poll finish and some people around here still think he sucks

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT