ADVERTISEMENT

Head of SEC officials Steve Shaw says ....

Why such a bias against people 55 and older? Stop stereotyping people. One of these days you will be 55 and older and you will feel the other side of it. People are people and they are different regardless of age and other human factors.
Stereotyping
Why such a bias against people 55 and older? Stop stereotyping people. One of these days you will be 55 and older and you will feel the other side of it. People are people and they are different regardless of age and other human factors.
Two things to consider: these refs were clearly not good and most people peak at much younger than 55 when it comes to running around a field and making snap judgements based on visually tracking fast moving objects.

You’re right that I’m stereotyping, in that there are plenty of healthy 56 year old people out there that could ref a game pretty well. My point is that same guy would likely have been keener with more endurance at 40.

I'm over 55 and I hope you all make it there. But then again whatever the age of these refs they do need to push back from the table a little. I don't think the age thing is the right way to go there are so physical capacities you should have to attain. As Clint Eastwood said you have to know your limitations and as the country song goes I'm as good once as I've ever been

Reactions: DukeDenver
This officiating thing is a dead issue. It's like complaining about the wind. Yes, we got the short end of the stick yesterday and maybe it could have had an impact on the final outcome. But it doesn't matter.

If we want to file a complaint, it will be heard and they will move on. Still an "L" and our minds will naturally move onto new issues within a week or two. Don't fight reality.

The play that I still can't get over is the one where the UFs RB broke loose and running down the field and another UF player holding Israel Mukuamu by the jersey for 30-40 yards. Why not just tackle Mukuamu and not have to worry about him.

Yes, it's still a lost but it is amazing that a conference like the SEC will allow incompetent officials to be involved in a game. It took only 3 minutes on google to find that two of yesterday's officials had been suspended before for sub-standard performance during a Florida game.

https://dawgs.com/forum/georgia-bulldog-football/24699-crew-suspended

The officiating crew from last Saturday's Arkansas-Florida game will be removed from its next scheduled assignment on Oct. 31 and won't be assigned a game until Nov. 14, SEC Commissioner Mike Slive announced today. The suspended officials are referee Marc Curles, umpire Ronnie Jones, linesman Randall Kizer, line judge Michael Shirley, back judge Michael Watson, field judge Greg Thomas and side judge Jesse Dupuy.

“A series of calls that have occurred during the last several weeks have not been to the standard that we expect from our officiating crews” Slive said in a statement. “I believe our officiating program is the best in the country, however, there are times when these actions must be taken”

The SEC acknowledged the crew made a mistake by calling an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty against Arkansas last week. That came two weeks after the SEC said the same crew should not have called an excessive celebration penalty on Georgia in a game against LSU on Oct. 3.

From The Birmingham News

The play that I still can't get over is the one where the UFs RB broke loose and running down the field and another UF player holding Israel Mukuamu by the jersey for 30-40 yards. Why not just tackle Mukuamu and not have to worry about him.

Yes. And the so-called ESPN official expert had the audacity to call what everyone knows is a holding call " A good no call." He lost all credibility now. He should not be on ESPN again.

Regardless, they 'spotted' UF 14 points on three non calls, two on the same play. Goes as a loss for us and UF gets a gimme, and is now basically playing for the SEC East title next Saturday vs UGA. If they win that, one hurdle at Missouri remains.

Yes. And the so-called ESPN official expert had the audacity to call what everyone knows is a holding call " A good no call." He lost all credibility now. He should not be on ESPN again.
I was at the game and didn’t hear it but I think he must have thought he was still working for the league and not an impartial tv analyst.

Matt was quickly able to analyze Mukuamu's emotional status and satisfaction level:

ESPN rules analyst Matt Austin:
"The hand is in a strange place. He does have the jersey but what you look for with a hold is did he take a step away from defender. The defender looks like he’s satisfied to run side by side with runner down field. I’m glad there was no call."

Matt was quickly able to analyze Mukuamu's emotional status and satisfaction level:

"The hand is in a strange place. He does have the jersey but what you look for with a hold is did he take a step away from defender. The defender looks like he’s satisfied to run side by side with runner down field. I’m glad there was no call."
The only way he could have been "satisfied" is that he was certain after 30 yards of that nonsense a flag had been thrown and the play was coming back.

What continues to astound me is another SEC Network analyst (not sure of the name) said that it was just the receiver "blocking" and that he agreed with Austin that it was a good no-call. So holding a jersey that is being stretched (indicating force) for 7-8 seconds is allowable, but an incidental face mask that is immediately released or a tug of a receiver's jersey for < one second is not? I'm not buying this for an instant, but unfortunately in the end it won't matter if any of us agree or not.

Both the no-calls on this play and the pick play are an effing farce, indefensible, blatant, and hard to pass off as not intentional.

I DARE any of the analysts blowing these things off to tell me with a straight face that ALL THREE would not have been called if the jerseys were switched.

This officiating thing is a dead issue. It's like complaining about the wind. Yes, we got the short end of the stick yesterday and maybe it could have had an impact on the final outcome. But it doesn't matter.

If we want to file a complaint, it will be heard and they will move on. Still an "L" and our minds will naturally move onto new issues within a week or two. Don't fight reality.

My complaint is not against the refs. It's against our offensive coaches.

Reactions: DukeDenver

I agree it’s a dumb thing to say, but Mukuamu should have sold it better. Had he thrown his hands up or just acted held up more, he’d have gotten the call.

Reactions: ansoncock
Less just be honest the SEC will always treat SC, Vandy, UK, Mississippi, Mississippi st, Missouri, Arkansas, and a bad Tennessee different from UGA, Bama, UF, LSU, Texas AM, Auburn. Yesterday was a way of separating UGA and UF from the undesirables.

Reactions: trekcock
Less just be honest the SEC will always treat SC, Vandy, UK, Mississippi, Mississippi st, Missouri, Arkansas, and a bad Tennessee different from UGA, Bama, UF, LSU, Texas AM, Auburn. Yesterday was a way of separating UGA and UF from the undesirables.

Simply less heat to lean towards the contenders. I believe they look at it in that regard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT