ADVERTISEMENT

Hilinski to Northwestern.

I understand why he might want to transfer. It does not change the fact it is quitting on my team and honestly, if he is not playing here... I don’t get why so many fans seem to be so enamored with him. I do not wish him ill, I don’t wish him well. I just don’t much care about him at this point and am confused why so many seem to.

In order to make a statement like this...I guess life has been roses and daisies for you.
RH got screwed out of an entire year of football this year. He had to live the life of being the good soldier, showing up for practice, doing everything he needed to do with class and integrity. His situation is not the same as the quitters that just stopped playing in the middle of the season, or embellished a small injury to not continue to play (which happens on all bad teams all over the country). If he would have left in August, September....even October.....sure that wouldn't have been good. But the guys who were playing, even starting that left are far different situations to this.

Sure looks like a lot of “quitters” are getting drafted at the QB position recently. Burrow, Mayfiled, Murray, Fields....
Great point. A pretty close example to this is Baker Mayfield at TT. Did his job on the field....felt like (knew) he lost the job NOT because of any play he did on the game or practice field; was some political stuff goin on behind the scenes and word is that KK didn't like him.
Well....can't wait to see how RH turns out. IMO...he will be one of the top B10 QBs EVEN though he's a team first guy and didn't go there for any type of offense that will bolster his personal numbers as his primary decision on where to go. It sure worked out for Baker getting a clean slate withOUT the deck stacked against him.

Hope nothing but the best success and all of God's greatest blessings for him. Is an excellent QB, leader and person. Hope he has the opportunity to humiliate Bobo and Auburn sometime in the near future. I will still wear my Hilinski throwback jersey every gameday and will still raise 3 fingers in the air at the start of every 3rd quarter.

#RH3

(BTW, NW is my new 2nd favorite team.)

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
He didn't quit. Bobo quit on Hilinski before Ryan even hit the field.
Hilinski quit on our team. He is no longer a Gamecock after committing to play here. It is his right to make a change if he wishes, it is also my right to call it what it is- QUITTING. Think long and hard about why you feel he deserves special treatment compared to the other quitters who left our team in recent months.

Hilinski quit on our team. He is no longer a Gamecock after committing to play here. It is his right to make a change if he wishes, it is also my right to call it what it is- QUITTING. Think long and hard about why you feel he deserves special treatment compared to the other quitters who left our team in recent months.

If RH was my son I would have advised him to do exactly what he did and I am a Gamecock fan of 60 years.

He should be fine. This is a much better fit for his talent. It's a good team in the league they play in and he should be able to succeed there much better than playing here in the SEC.

In order to make a statement like this...I guess life has been roses and daisies for you.
RH got screwed out of an entire year of football this year. He had to live the life of being the good soldier, showing up for practice, doing everything he needed to do with class and integrity. His situation is not the same as the quitters that just stopped playing in the middle of the season, or embellished a small injury to not continue to play (which happens on all bad teams all over the country). If he would have left in August, September....even October.....sure that wouldn't have been good. But the guys who were playing, even starting that left are far different situations to this.
In order to make a statement like this.. I guess you were in the locker room observing his dedication and behavior?

I made my original post with a specific purpose- to see how differently people would react to someone implying RH quit vs how they reacted when a half dozen or more other guys quit at various points during and just after the season. Kier Thomas left and I did not see an out pouring of emotion and support wishing him the best, calling him “a good kid from a great family”... I did not see people saying stuff like “FSU is now my second favorite team”...? Why? That is the crux of my point here. I have no special hatred of RH or any of these guys.. I am indifferent to their future success. It is perplexing to me why so many feel the need to come to Ryan’s defense in this situation but all the other guys who left got basically a “good riddance” from the majority here. Can anyone explain that to me?

I have yet to hear a reasonable answer other than conspiracy theories implying there was some vendetta against Ryan here by the coaches who benched him even though he was the better player...? Because that is what coaches do right? Play their worst players and risk their own jobs just to slander a kid they don’t like? Hell no! That is not what they do. WM recruited Hilinski, you think he had something against him too? If it was Bobo that was the problem, Ryan would have stayed after Bobo and Hill left. That did not happen, and it should tell you all you need to know.

They gave RH a chance to win the job, he could not beat out Hill or Doty and now people are THIS upset we lost the guy who was our third string QB last season? Again... Any reasonable explanation is welcomed. Maybe some of ya’ll are NW fans? I don’t give a rip about NW, FSU or any other team- I am a Gamecock and I pull for our team, our players and when a kid quits on my team I call them a quitter. NOT sorry if that is so offensive to some of you.

Think of it as taking a better job rather than quitting. Many of us have left jobs that had disappointed us.
I get it... How did you leave said job? You QUIT, right? 🤔

Thank you... Makes my point. I never said I think it is the wrong move for him (he could not beat out Doty as a freshman... What are his chances now? Well ZERO at this point because he gave up and left)
I never said he had no right to do it. I am just pointing out the double standard in how many here are treating him vs many other players who left our team recently. I even said “best of luck kid”... but I did not bend down to kiss his ass on the way out so, suddenly I am the villain on this thread!? 😂🤷‍♂️

Again, some of ya’ll need to think long an hard about the double standard I am referring to. This kid is just another “once was a Gamecock” who chose to move on when the going got tough. Anybody who comes to play here better listen to coach Day’s talk about struggling well and grit and determination, because you will NEED THAT to succeed here especially where we are today. I pull for the kids who get that and stay around to fight despite the challenges.

In order to make a statement like this.. I guess you were in the locker room observing his dedication and behavior?

I made my original post with a specific purpose- to see how differently people would react to someone implying RH quit vs how they reacted when a half dozen or more other guys quit at various points during and just after the season. Kier Thomas left and I did not see an out pouring of emotion and support wishing him the best, calling him “a good kid from a great family”... I did not see people saying stuff like “FSU is now my second favorite team”...? Why? That is the crux of my point here. I have no special hatred of RH or any of these guys.. I am indifferent to their future success. It is perplexing to me why so many feel the need to come to Ryan’s defense in this situation but all the other guys who left got basically a “good riddance” from the majority here. Can anyone explain that to me?

I have yet to hear a reasonable answer other than conspiracy theories implying there was some vendetta against Ryan here by the coaches who benched him even though he was the better player...? Because that is what coaches do right? Play their worst players and risk their own jobs just to slander a kid they don’t like? Hell no! That is not what they do. WM recruited Hilinski, you think he had something against him too? If it was Bobo that was the problem, Ryan would have stayed after Bobo and Hill left. That did not happen, and it should tell you all you need to know.

They gave RH a chance to win the job, he could not beat out Hill or Doty and now people are THIS upset we lost the guy who was our third string QB last season? Again... Any reasonable explanation is welcomed. Maybe some of ya’ll are NW fans? I don’t give a rip about NW, FSU or any other team- I am a Gamecock and I pull for our team, our players and when a kid quits on my team I call them a quitter. NOT sorry if that is so offensive to some of you.
What other player that transferred was forced to play as a true freshman (partially while injured), had a new position coach come in that brought with them a guy that failed with him at their previous destination and was then forced to watch that player and position coach fail once again while never getting a shot in a game to see if there was a difference?

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
That is my point though- why is RH getting all this love? Horn never left it all out on the field? Why? Because he quit on the team? RH did too, still a big “love in” for him and all the “good kid, good family” comments... Why is that relevant? Is he a better person than Shilo Sanders or Horn, or Izzy? Or Roderick? Anderson the backup DE who left? What makes RH better? I am not race bating, I am pointing out a double standard and commonly in my life’s history that double standard in situations like this is at least partially motivated by race. Nobody wants to admit it, most don’t even realize they are doing it but I 100% assure you the more positive sentiment associated with RH has a component in the color of his skin for many of the posters here whether they realize it or not.
aha...so here we have it.
The only double standard in collegiate football is that caucasian athletes get overlooked, dismissed and judged unfairly by comparison. If you want an example......our secondary and defense the last 6-7 years. Go look at Clemson's defense...the way it "looks". They take players based off of ability rather than look...which is very obvious.

You and this movement don't need to and can't "educate" me. The funny part to me is the lack of historical world knowledge that this "movement" doesn't understand. Where land and bodies were once raw commodities because as a civilization WE ALL were savages....in the last 50 years things have changed. Very much like that movement, your perception of double standard is warped.

Let me take the time to educate you: If Joe Horn's kid didn't start CB this year because a fifth year Corner from Arizona State came in and started OVER him and WAS NOT better than Horn which caused him to transfer at the end of the semester/year and didn't leave during the season.....then 100% of these uneducated racists would feel the exact same. You're a GD idiot and so is your movement.

That is making excuses for him. We were not at practice, all we know is he did not win the job. It makes no sense that a coach on the hot seat would start a lesser option at QB just out of what? Spite? Do some of ya’ll really think they just “did not like Hilinsky”, and that is why he sat all year? Or maybe, just maybe he was not as good as the guys who played. That makes a lot more sense...
Yes, we were not at practice. However, Muschamp has been screwing up the QB position going back to his days at Florida. So, that does not bode well for his decisions. A program has to give a kid that not only came across country, but did not play poorly more of a chance than what Hilinski got. We are not Georgia, Alabama, or Clemson. There will be only so many chances for our program to get that type of opportunity. Maybe Hill beat Hilinski out in practice. My point is that Hill should have never been here knowing that you had two young QB's with potential. What was the purpose of bringing in a Graduate QB to go 2-8? Didn't make sense and just more confirmation why Muschamp needed to go.

Well, thank God for the ability to quit when you are chained to the bench after being promised the world to come across country and holding up the number 3 like we cared so much. We all as Gamecocks fans should be embarrassed about this instead of having the nerve of calling that kid a quitter. Kid got screwed by a bush league operation.

Well, thank God for the ability to quit when you are chained to the bench after being promised the world to come across country and holding up the number 3 like we cared so much. We all as Gamecocks fans should be embarrassed about this instead of having the nerve of calling that kid a quitter. Kid got screwed by a bush league operation.
Disagree. He got passed over for the starting job one year and then took his ball and went home. Why should any fan of this team feel ashamed that RH was not good enough to rise above third on the depth chart last season?

I get it... How did you leave said job? You QUIT, right? 🤔

Thank you... Makes my point. I never said I think it is the wrong move for him (he could not beat out Doty as a freshman... What are his chances now? Well ZERO at this point because he gave up and left)
I never said he had no right to do it. I am just pointing out the double standard in how many here are treating him vs many other players who left our team recently. I even said “best of luck kid”... but I did not bend down to kiss his ass on the way out so, suddenly I am the villain on this thread!? 😂🤷‍♂️

Again, some of ya’ll need to think long an hard about the double standard I am referring to. This kid is just another “once was a Gamecock” who chose to move on when the going got tough. Anybody who comes to play here better listen to coach Day’s talk about struggling well and grit and determination, because you will NEED THAT to succeed here especially where we are today. I pull for the kids who get that and stay around to fight despite the challenges.
Well, I defended Horn and the others in doing what they felt they had to do too. I haven't called any of them quitters. My point is that our program should be a little embarrassed at how the Hilinski situation turned out.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Yes, we were not at practice. However, Muschamp has been screwing up the QB position going back to his days at Florida. So, that does not bode well for his decisions. A program has to give a kid that not only came across country, but did not play poorly more of a chance than what Hilinski got. We are not Georgia, Alabama, or Clemson. There will be only so many chances for our program to get that type of opportunity. Maybe Hill beat Hilinski out in practice. My point is that Hill should have never been here knowing that you had two young QB's with potential. What was the purpose of bringing in a Graduate QB to go 2-8? Didn't make sense and just more confirmation why Muschamp needed to go.
He got 11 games the year before, did not improve, only looked somewhat impressive in like 2 of those games maybe?- did not advance over the offseason and got passed by the transfer and a true freshman. It is crazy to think this was some unfair conspiracy against him. He just was not that good. Wish him well all you want! I wish MY TEAM well and he decided not to be part of it. My life will be no better or worse if be winds up “flipping burgers”.

Disagree. He got passed over for the starting job one year and then took his ball and went home. Why should any fan of this team feel ashamed that RH was not good enough to rise above third on the depth chart last season?
.....and he should have. He has a career to protect with limited time. He doesn't have time to hang in there while we straighten out our bush league operation. A program like ours should never, ever treat the rare, highly rated QB to come here like that. If he was bad like McIlwain, I could see looking somewhere else. However, that kid didn't deserve that and I am not even an Hilinski fan. I don't think you realize how poorly this reflects on our program.

For the record, I am a 53 year old black guy that didn't like some of the thinly veiled shots at BLM on here, and supported Horn, Mukuamu, and all the other players in their decisions. However, I just call it like I see it and this Hilinski situation was just plain bad. I wish the kid all the best and I have a reason to check out a Northwestern game every now and then.

.....and he should have. He has a career to protect with limited time. He doesn't have time to hang in there while we straighten out our bush league operation. A program like ours should never, ever treat the rare, highly rated QB to come here like that. If he was bad like McIlwain, I could see looking somewhere else. However, that kid didn't deserve that and I am not even an Hilinski fan. I don't think you realize how poorly this reflects on our program.
We had three 4* QBs on our roster last year and added another one in the early signing period this cycle. How rare do you think it is that we land a highly rated QB? I can name about a dozen in the past 10-15 years alone. It is not the catastrophe you are making it out to be that he did not work out.

That’s seemed like his destination for a while now. Delayed reward for Northwestern as they offered him very early on as a recruit.

Hope he tears it up and makes us look foolish.
I wish you would enumerate who needs to be made to look foolish a little more specifically.

That is making excuses for him. We were not at practice, all we know is he did not win the job. It makes no sense that a coach on the hot seat would start a lesser option at QB just out of what? Spite? Do some of ya’ll really think they just “did not like Hilinsky”, and that is why he sat all year? Or maybe, just maybe he was not as good as the guys who played. That makes a lot more sense...
He was better his freshman year than Hill was this year

He was better his freshman year than Hill was this year
That was not my perception.

Neither i nor any of the others have any reason to denigrate Hilinski nor to advocate Hill beyond what we saw on the field. To the contrary, Hilinski was a great story, a good “look” for our program. But the fact is, injured, not injured, he gave ZERO chance for us to win games; none. We had no chance and it was obvious. Also obvious right from the jump was that Hill DID; I’m sorry. Again, Hill’s biggest obstacle with the “feelings” fans was that he was better than Hilinski.

Best of luck to him and his family.

That was not my perception.

Neither i nor any of the others have any reason to denigrate Hilinski nor to advocate Hill beyond what we saw on the field. To the contrary, Hilinski was a great story, a good “look” for our program. But the fact is, injured, not injured, he gave ZERO chance for us to win games; none. We had no chance and it was obvious. Also obvious right from the jump was that Hill DID; I’m sorry. Again, Hill’s biggest obstacle with the “feelings” fans was that he was better than Hilinski.

Best of luck to him and his family.
So to throw screen passes or a hitch to Shi every darn time gave us the best chance to win. Cool story, but okay. Heck, Dakereon could have run our bubble gum offense as effectively this year. We start with Hill who is not mobile at all. Then we go to Doty because he is more mobile. Then, we try to sell the story that Doty is ahead of Hilinski despite working at WR half the year. The truth in all this is similar to doing you know what on you and telling you that it is raining.

Last edited:
So to throw screen passes or a hitch to Shi every darn time gave us the best chance to win. Cool story, but okay. Heck, Dakereon could have run our bubble gum offense as effectively this year. We start with Hill who is not mobile at all. Then we go to Doty because he is more mobile. Then, we try to sell the story that Doty is ahead of Hilinski despite working at WR half the year. The truth in all this is similar to doing you know what on you and telling you that it is raining.

@adcoop you are spitting the truth on here tonight. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I disagree. We see things exactly the same on this topic.

Heck, Dakereon could have run our bubble gum offense as effectively this year. We start with Hill who is not mobile at all. Then we go to Doty because he is more mobile. Then, we try to sell the story that Doty is ahead of Hilinski despite working at WR half the year. The truth in all this is similar to doing you know what on you and telling you that it is raining.

Sorry, but Dakereon hasn’t shown the ability to run any kind of offense.

And perhaps if RH had apparently done what was asked of him, a 3rd string QB who worked part of the season at WR wouldn’t have beaten him out as the season progressed.

Which is why after the season was over RH was training with Garcia working on....footwork.

Qualifications for starting dont include being promising things or fans holding up the number 3.

The fanbase has nothing to be embarrassed about. He was initially beat out by a transfer, then was also beat out by a third stringer who spent time at WR.

Maybe if he’d spent time supposedly doing what was asked of him instead of pouting he wouldn’t be in the position of transferring.

Reactions: kidrobinski

And perhaps if RH had apparently done what was asked of him, a 3rd string QB who worked part of the season at WR wouldn’t have beaten him out as the season progressed.

Which is why after the season was over RH was training with Garcia working on....footwork.
That’s my point. Dakereon does not have the arm strength that you think you would need on a competent offense. However, we couldn’t get anybody deep all year and the couple times we did the receivers couldn’t catch the ball. Therefore, we were reduced to screen passes,little hitches to Shi hoping he would break a tackle, and an occasional 8-10 yard dump to Muse across the middle. Forget Dakereon. Antonio Hefner could have done that (You need to have been around awhile to get the point).

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamecockben1979

You do realize that QBs work on footwork all the time regardless of level of play and/or success. Peyton Manning was famous for constantly working on his cone shuffle drill throughout his career. He didn’t stop working on things just because he was successful.

I understand why he might want to transfer. It does not change the fact it is quitting on my team and honestly, if he is not playing here... I don’t get why so many fans seem to be so enamored with him. I do not wish him ill, I don’t wish him well. I just don’t much care about him at this point and am confused why so many seem to.
Yep
We got some quitters that just transferred in..they quit on their previous teams right? So we just replaced our quitters with someone’s else’s

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT