ADVERTISEMENT

Hillinski vs Hill

It amazes me how many people want to give RH3 a free pass last year because he was a true freshman. Let me know how the kid from UNC did as a true freshman last year. How about TL from Clumson as a TF? You can either make the simple throws consistently or you can't. Oh yeah, lets bring up how he performed against Alabama... we were in the game for one half. Take away the TD with 15 sec left in the game against Bama's D we lose by 30+ points and a majority of his yards were in mop-up duty against Bama's 2/3 strings. He played a solid half against UGA before getting hurt. Then the crowd that gives excuses for failure aka the "wait until next year crowd" found a way to always make excuses the rest of the year for him. Below are all his stats last year... How does that QBR look? Or his Comp percentage as a whole? Yes there were drops last year, but they weren't dropping that many and going 16-41 against TA&M. or 28-51 against Tennessee.

Let's not act like he was Tom Brady last year. If Collin Hill has won the job, then so be it. I want the guy back there regardless of it was RH or CH or ABC123 back there that is going to win us ball games.

Uhhh...real quick
We didn't have Phil Longo running the offense last year. One thing that isn't being mentioned is the nightmare OC situation we had, and how inept the offense was DESPITE the few bright spots (which Hilinski definitely was one of). At least Bobo is way better than McClendon - no matter who the QB is this year.
I'm also fine with Hill winning the job. If he won it, and continues to do well, keep us in games and threaten defenses- YES, YES, YES. I'm a Gamecock fan...that's what I want. But, at the very least...in the LSU game....why in the blue h#ll didn't Hilinski, Dak and the fifth water boy get a couple snaps? In those futile games....you gotta wet beaks. Keep interest alive. Show there is some kind of chance. It appears (to me)....that some assurances have been made that there won't be a "controversy" when one guy gets no chance at all.

Big thing for me is there hasn't been that moment where I look at Hill and say "Ryan could never do that." There's no throws he makes that Ryan couldn't make. Now, granted, Bobo has the offense tailored to Hill's capabilities with mostly short throws, so he is getting a good completion percentage. Mobility is a wash between the 2. Hill may be more mobile at times, but he's taken more sacks than Ryan.

Uhhh...real quick
We didn't have Phil Longo running the offense last year. One thing that isn't being mentioned is the nightmare OC situation we had, and how inept the offense was DESPITE the few bright spots (which Hilinski definitely was one of). At least Bobo is way better than McClendon - no matter who the QB is this year.
I'm also fine with Hill winning the job. If he won it, and continues to do well, keep us in games and threaten defenses- YES, YES, YES. I'm a Gamecock fan...that's what I want. But, at the very least...in the LSU game....why in the blue h#ll didn't Hilinski, Dak and the fifth water boy get a couple snaps? In those futile games....you gotta wet beaks. Keep interest alive. Show there is some kind of chance. It appears (to me)....that some assurances have been made that there won't be a "controversy" when one guy gets no chance at all.

I agree with everything you’re saying. Also think it’s worth noting that we have a much better running game this season than last. Last year Hilinski was asked to throw it and take hits knowing we could not run. It’s probably a combination of Bobo, improved offensive line play and the emergence of Harris, but that’s a huge advantage Hill has playing this year that Hilinski never had last year. We could not even run it on App State. We completely abandoned the run that game.

I agree with everything you’re saying. Also think it’s worth noting that we have a much better running game this season than last. Last year Hilinski was asked to throw it and take hits knowing we could not run. It’s probably a combination of Bobo, improved offensive line play and the emergence of Harris, but that’s a huge advantage Hill has playing this year that Hilinski never had last year. We could not even run it on App State. We completely abandoned the run that game.

Yep. Essentially zero run support for Ryan. I bet he's drooling looking at Harris run the ball this year.

Hill has been sacked as many times in 5 games as Hilinski was all of last season. We will never have a solid oline with Wolford but there is no way this oline is that much worse than last year.

I agree. I’d also add our WRs also contribute by not getting open. Against LSU, Hill had some guys open and didn’t throw the ball. That was most concerning to me and why we can’t see another performance like that from him.

He’s not elusive at all. If the WRs don’t get open, the odds are he will get sacked.

Pretty sure Deshaun Watson tore his ACL three times, once in high school, once in college (before whipping our ass on that torn ACL I might add) and once in the pros.

I don't think it matters really. Medical Science is gettting better every day it seems. I understand OP's concern, but let's be honest if dude shows up and wants to play and earns the snaps, why not play him?

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Hill has been sacked as many times in 5 games as Hilinski was all of last season. We will never have a solid oline with Wolford but there is no way this oline is that much worse than last year.

Hill won't get rid of the ball and will take a few very costly sacks, almost every game. We've seen him run out of bounds for an 8 to 10 yard loss instead of throwing it away. He's been a college QB for how long?

It really doesn't matter. Neither is a program changer and neither has the weapons around them to get by with being a food game manager

What do we have to lose by playing Doty and/or Hilinski?

Will Stockton bolt if the entire staff gets canned?

Possibly.

"We're lost, but we're making good time." - Yogi Berra

Go Cocks!

Like a fine wine.

This thread has aged beautifully.

Fine indeed!

Hill looked like a bad jv QB out there last night. It was almost like a comedy routine. He and Bobo have pulled off the greatest ruse in the history of Gamecock athletics.

We need a mobile QB. Conner Shaw won by his legs. We will probably never consistently have a good enough OL to support a pocket QB, especially against the SEC defenses. They are too fast and can blitz us too much. We need to be recruiting dual threat QBs each year.

We need a mobile QB. Conner Shaw won by his legs. We will probably never consistently have a good enough OL to support a pocket QB, especially against the SEC defenses. They are too fast and can blitz us too much. We need to be recruiting dual threat QBs each year.
With Jay Ulrich we had 3 mobile QBs and two of them elite 11 prospects. They have had zero chances to actually play qb, only way we handle them is in a wild car formation without daring to throw the ball

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Yeah, the gig is up. For those “Hill isn’t the problem” people: open your eyes. He sure ain’t a solution. To be sure, he’s not the only problem on the team, but he’s definitely a problem.

The thing is none of Us have seen them practice this year, nobody knows except the coaches which is better.

Given everyone totally trusts the coaches to make the best choices. There is so much clear evidence that suggest they are very good at making decisions.

• Haha
Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Hill has thrown one interception for every 35.4 pass attempts this season.

Hilinksi threw one interception for every 81.2 pass attempts last season.

Through 6 SEC games this season, Hill has taken 18 sacks.

Hilinksi took 14 sacks in 8 SEC games last season.

OL and WR are comparable from last year to this year. RB are significantly better this year.

Last edited:
Hill has thrown one interception for every 35.4 pass attempts this season.

Hilinksi threw one interception for every 81.2 pass attempts last season.

Through 6 SEC games this season, Hill has taken 18 sacks.

Hilinksi took 14 sacks in 8 SEC games last season.

OL and WR are comparable from last year to this year. RB are significantly better this year.
Right....AND even though it's a new offense, Hilinski has had several months under his belt learning it, practicing it, etc. It's not a totally new language....there is way more pre snap decisions (easier) than post-snap decisions. Even if all were equal (it's not...Hilinski has way more upside, and has proven to have better numbers)....why wouldn't you go with the guy who you will have longer?

Not a conspiracy theorist....but Holtz and SOS did this "let the team fall off the ledge...i'm leaving anyway" approach so take it for what it's worth. Not playing Hilinski this year would definitely help push him to the transfer portal (no matter what he says publicly)....and if they anticipate getting canned this year (which they surely did...given a look at our schedule back in August)...then not being loyal to Hilinski and having him make moves to transfer in NOV/DEC. would only put SOUTH CAROLINA in a worse position once the staff is gone.....and that staff wouldn't care one bit. When coaches move on.....I don't care what the situation is...99% of them want the next guy to fail / not do as well as he and previous staff did.

Reactions: BeCocky77
why wouldn't you go with the guy who you will have longer?

I guess this is what I don't get. Ok, they chose to start Hill based solely on his knowledge of the system. They rolled the dice that his experience would translate into production. But it was pretty clear after a couple games that Hill, at his absolute best, was going to be ok-ish. Given his status as a 5th year senior with no reason to bring him back next season, I just couldn't see the upside in continuing to start him. To point out Hill's deficiencies is not to suggest we don't have other problems on the team, but we can't act like his play has been totally fine just b/c others on the team have sucked as well. You've got 2 guys sitting on the bench who factor into the team's future and neither of them had attempted a pass until the 6th game of the season. Just mind-boggling stuff.

As for your non-conspiracy theory, you may not be all that far off. Hill was still in the game until the 4th quarter of an absolute curb stomping in which he was playing horrendously. What could have possibly been the rationale for letting him play after halftime? His first possession of the 2nd half he threw a pick...and he STILL got one more possession. Again, just mind-boggling.

You can't base much off one drive, but it's interesting that Hilinski came in and led our only sustained drive for points, 6:06 for a FG. Our previous longest drive was 4:00 and ended in an interception.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeBoer31
In camp they were very close and according to Muschamp, Ryan had improved alot, its time to let him start he is the younger QB with a future to be developed, and try and spark this team, that was a team giving up on Saturday, and we can argue how much was Hill's fault certainly not all, maybe not hardly any, but its time for a change.

“We’ve got a great battle going on,” Muschamp said Sunday evening. “It’s making each other better and our team better. We’re going to let it go again this week and make a decision hopefully next week.”

“I’ve seen a lot of growth with Ryan from a standpoint of asking him to do some different things — from being under center at times to doing different things at the line of scrimmage,” Muschamp said. “Mike puts a lot on the quarterback as far as protections are concerned and as far as the run game is concerned. I’ve seen tremendous improvement from Ryan.”

Last edited:
Reactions: BeCocky77
In camp they were very close and according to Muschamp, Ryan had improved alot, its time to let him start he is the younger QB with a future to be developed, and try and spark this team, that was a team giving up on Saturday, and we can argue how much was Hill's fault certainly not all, maybe not hardly any, but its time for a change.

“We’ve got a great battle going on,” Muschamp said Sunday evening. “It’s making each other better and our team better. We’re going to let it go again this week and make a decision hopefully next week.”

“I’ve seen a lot of growth with Ryan from a standpoint of asking him to do some different things — from being under center at times to doing different things at the line of scrimmage,” Muschamp said. “Mike puts a lot on the quarterback as far as protections are concerned and as far as the run game is concerned. I’ve seen tremendous improvement from Ryan.”
So does that mean Hill is terrible at the protection calls since he’s been sacked so many times?

Reactions: Gradstudent
So does that mean Hill is terrible at the protection calls since he’s been sacked so many times?

Great Question, maybe or maybe he holds the ball a little to long, or the speed of the SEC game is a little to much for him, maybe a great question for Carolina Calls, and while your at it, please check how Coach and Todd are doing.

I've never seen a QB get as much slack as Hill is getting from some of our fans this year. Yet few want to give Hilinski any slack for being a true freshman, playing with an injured shoulder and knee, and playing with zero help from OL or WR or RB position.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT