ADVERTISEMENT

How did Ole Miss suddenly emerge as a major recruiting power . . .

67gamecock

Oct 3, 2000
Lexington, SC
over the past couple of years in the SEC and nationally? For decades, the Rebels have looked up to LSU, Bama, Auburn, UF, UGA and even UTe. Now, they are an elite recruiting machine. Interesting

Freeze has some cash advantage, if you know what I mean. Of the cuff getting a number 1 class is suspect.

straight cash homey.

I have had a theory for years that a middle of the road team could go out and buy recruits in this age of the NCAA and not hurt the program in any real way. Say you are a lower end SEC school. Putting 60k in an 80k stadium. You start bringing in really big recruits. Commits from kids that never stepped foot on campus. You know what I am saying. Boosters do the real work here, so no money out of pocket for the program. This also goes for getting kids in school with SAT help, transcript help form HS, whatever it takes. All of a sudden, you are filling up the stadium 7 times a year and selling a lot more merch. The hype brings in more recruits and more excitement. Before you know it, a little seed money just got you a top 10 program. With the NCAA, they take year to do anything, and per many many example, you at best will get a slap on the wrist. Loss 6-8 schollies. They will not give you the death penalty or take away TV anymore. And say they really drop the hammer, with the money SEC has coming in, the worst you would fall is back to where you were before it all started. The flip side is, the NCAA investigations are a joke now. UNC risked the accreditation of the university and has had no penalty at all. It is really a small risk/huge reward situation

Like Dabo, Freeze loves God. He lets you know. I'm not cynical about anyone loving God. But I do find it a bit self serving for a head football coach to use it for recruiting purposes. Most high football recruits in the southeast have pentecostal backgrounds. I'm sure "loving God" helps with their mamas.

Maybe we can learn a thing or two from Dabo and Freeze. Our message board atheists need to recognize we aren't recruiting many secular humanists. I like bringing Lattimore on staff to provide a spiritual counselor for those kids looking for one. It's a more low key approach and less crass than Freeze's megachurch approach.

I think our coach ACTUALLY ACCESSING OUR RECRUITING BUDGET will start to pay dividends soon,moreso than baptisms at practice.
Ole Miss IS surrounded by football crazy states .

As mentioned above, Freeze is the SEC's version of Swinney, and he gets similar results.
being serious for a moment and putting the "hate" aside, the difference between Freeze and Swinney is that Swinney's recruiting successes have come within the recruiting footprint of Clemson or with kids that are out of region but have ties to the University or the area (ie: family members who live in Anderson).

What is glaring to me is that Ole Miss is listed by a ridiculous amount of kids that have no ties whatsoever to Mississippi(ie: Treadwell). Additionally flipping kids who have been committed to schools for a year+ at the last second is a HUGE red flag (ie: Tunsil).

To be frank, if the NCAA didnt step in and hammer UNC for what they did (which is just disgusting IMO), they arent going to do a thing about a few weighted handshakes.

Ole Miss' downfall will be when the big boys in the SEC West get fed up with being "outbid", complain to the SEC front office, and Ole Miss is offered up as a sacrificial lamb. Until then ........ ??????????

Reactions: 67gamecock
Like Dabo, Freeze loves God. He lets you know. I'm not cynical about anyone loving God. But I do find it a bit self serving for a head football coach to use it for recruiting purposes. Most high football recruits in the southeast have pentecostal backgrounds. I'm sure "loving God" helps with their mamas.

Maybe we can learn a thing or two from Dabo and Freeze. Our message board atheists need to recognize we aren't recruiting many secular humanists. I like bringing Lattimore on staff to provide a spiritual counselor for those kids looking for one. It's a more low key approach and less crass than Freeze's megachurch approach.

You state this as fact. Do you have a link?

Reactions: Atlanta Cock
Thanks for the responses, guys. We need more posts on this matter. It's an interesting topic and a bit of relief from the 'Clempsin is cheating mantra' (although, I DO believe our Hill Country cousins are cheating the Devil himself).

Ole Miss cheating? Do Magnolias grow in Mississippi?

It's really hard to reconcile Ole Miss's history, tradition, location, and lack of success to the recruiting machine they have become out of nowhere. Freeze was largely unknown prior to going to Oxford. No big drawing card like a Saban, Bowden, or Spurrier. They still have racial tension there as proven with the recent case where a frat member hung a noose on a civil rights statue on their campus, and rightly or wrongly their state is still associated with the Confederate flag and racisim. Wouldn't think that would be a big draw to recruiting. They have been perennial doormats on the field until the last few years. Their tradition and history wouldn't draw bigtime players. They have to recruit against Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, etc. head to head. They aren't out spending or out working these schools, at least legally. They do not have some academic drawing card like a Stanford or Notre Dame. No one is going there strictly due to their reputation as a school of higher learning. They have not had a large number of super successful players drafted and playing in the NFL. Other than Eli, Willis, and that psycho Hardy not much to speak of here that I can think of. Yet, there they are. A consistent top 10 recruiting school now.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and has feathers, it's probably...

It's really hard to reconcile Ole Miss's history, tradition, location, and lack of success to the recruiting machine they have become out of nowhere. Freeze was largely unknown prior to going to Oxford. No big drawing card like a Saban, Bowden, or Spurrier. They still have racial tension there as proven with the recent case where a frat member hung a noose on a civil rights statue on their campus, and rightly or wrongly their state is still associated with the Confederate flag and racisim. Wouldn't think that would be a big draw to recruiting. They have been perennial doormats on the field until the last few years. Their tradition and history wouldn't draw bigtime players. They have to recruit against Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, etc. head to head. They aren't out spending or out working these schools, at least legally. They do not have some academic drawing card like a Stanford or Notre Dame. No one is going there strictly due to their reputation as a school of higher learning. They have not had a large number of super successful players drafted and playing in the NFL. Other than Eli, Willis, and that psycho Hardy not much to speak of here that I can think of. Yet, there they are. A consistent top 10 recruiting school now.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and has feathers, it's probably...

THIS ^^^^^ I'm mighty afraid, folks, is a good opinion of what smells in Oxford, Mississippi! Problem is, we got beat at the poker game by a 'poker-faced' NCAA who convinced us they had a better hand. They really didn't, but we blinked!

So, what does this say? I think it says. 'You can't win in the SEC without a well-planned network of . . . . cheating' Unless, of course you're Bama or a school of similar ilk.

How is it that the NCAA was quick to hammer us for what was done at Whitney and schools like UNC continue to operate without punishment unless you include the Women's basketball team? To me it just confirms how crooked the NCAA really is.
We self-imposed. NCAA simply accepted those restrictions. My guess is we were tougher than we needed to be. Think UNC is still under investigation trying to figure out what all they did and how deep it went....that could be a major problem for UNC, both athletically and academically.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
A large part of it was eliminating the Rebel flag as an official symbol and replacing Colonel Reb with the Black Bear.

Makes you wonder how they would have done from 1970 till now if they hadn't been so hard headed.

(I'm not saying that's the only reason) I also think "hostesses" play a large part in their recruiting.

Reactions: BreatheUT
A large part of it was eliminating the Rebel flag as an official symbol and replacing Colonel Reb with the Black Bear.

Makes you wonder how they would have done from 1970 till now if they hadn't been so hard headed.

(I'm not saying that's the only reason) I also think "hostesses" play a large part in their recruiting.
You definitely make a good point.

It would if I had been a recruit.....Oh my goodness.......Where do I sign...?

How is it that the NCAA was quick to hammer us for what was done at Whitney and schools like UNC continue to operate without punishment unless you include the Women's basketball team? To me it just confirms how crooked the NCAA really is.

The women may get a harder hit thanks to Jan Boxill's direct involvement but UNC will have banners removed, victories vacated, and multiple post-season bans for football, basketball, and women's basketball.

to the doubters, I suggest following @BlueDevilicious on twitter. the guy is unearthing some big time LD/ADHD fraud within UNC athletics - all from the document dump that UNC was forced to release.

UNC will suffer, tho not nearly enough given their transgressions over the past 3+ decades. Just be patient.

It was UNC that got us looked at to begin with. Wes Saunders went on a trip to Miami with Marvin Austin that was paid for by an agent. Austin was ruled ineligible for the remainder of his time at UNC. Saunders convinced NCAA that he knew nothing of the agent but they looked at him hard and discovered Whitney-Gate, which included several other players and our compliance knew about. WS lied to HBC about something and he was out permanently.

I was looking through a couple of recruiting articles from signing day 3 years ago. It clear religion plays a big part, especially for the kids in the southeast.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...mmits-mississippi-rebels-national-signing-day

Cornerback Mackensie Alexander of Immokalee (Fla.) High School, the No. 2 corner and No. 4 overall prospect in the ESPN 150, selected Clemson. Alexander, the No. 2-ranked player in Florida, visited Auburn and Mississippi State late but settled on a school to which he made an official visit in November.

He said he connected with Clemson coach Dabo Swinney.

"He's a church guy like me," Alexander said. "I trust in them guys. I'm going to be in a great position."

He acknowledged the high level of competition in the SEC but predicted success for Clemson during his time there.

"We're going to win the national title," Alexander said.

(FAIL)
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Ramsey originally committed to the Trojans over the summer, but openly considered other schools and took visits to Florida, Washington and Mississippi as well as USC and FSU. USC made a late push on Tuesday night to try to sway Ramsey back, but his mind was made up.

"I just felt so comfortable there at Florida State," the No. 14 prospect said. "The coaches there, I trust them. They're good Christian men. I'm Christian so I'm trying to stay in that. It's close to home so I can see my family more. I just want to get there and help them win a championship."

being serious for a moment and putting the "hate" aside, the difference between Freeze and Swinney is that Swinney's recruiting successes have come within the recruiting footprint of Clemson or with kids that are out of region but have ties to the University or the area (ie: family members who live in Anderson).

What is glaring to me is that Ole Miss is listed by a ridiculous amount of kids that have no ties whatsoever to Mississippi(ie: Treadwell). Additionally flipping kids who have been committed to schools for a year+ at the last second is a HUGE red flag (ie: Tunsil).

To be frank, if the NCAA didnt step in and hammer UNC for what they did (which is just disgusting IMO), they arent going to do a thing about a few weighted handshakes.

Ole Miss' downfall will be when the big boys in the SEC West get fed up with being "outbid", complain to the SEC front office, and Ole Miss is offered up as a sacrificial lamb. Until then ........ ??????????
What is glaring to me is that Clemson is signing a ridiculous amount of kids from Florida that have no ties whatsoever to Clemson (ie: Spiller, Watkins, McCloud, Alexander, etc.).

This thread is a joke. Put up some hard evidence or STFU.

You do realize this is a sports message board, correct? Pretty much every thread on every board is based on opinions and generalizations. Should people not have been allowed to discuss possible cheating by Lance Armstrong, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens etc.? There was no hard proof there to start with. You can skip threads you don't like, you know?

My opinion, if someone wants to float accusations of cheating when a program is having success in recruiting, let that person prove it. Otherwise, it simply comes off as sour grapes. I guess when Muschamp starts getting some heralded recruits in here, and he will, it will only be due to cheating? But that's what they will be saying about us at UPC and Ole Miss.

Reactions: TOMMYROB
Maybe they hired some of Lame Kiffin's unemployed UT girls.:D

Those UT hostesses weren't in the same class as girls in Oxford

treadwell.jpg

(Not sure of authenticity)

Thanks for the responses, guys. We need more posts on this matter. It's an interesting topic and a bit of relief from the 'Clempsin is cheating mantra' (although, I DO believe our Hill Country cousins are cheating the Devil himself).

Ole Miss cheating? Do Magnolias grow in Mississippi?

Haha, good response.

My opinion, if someone wants to float accusations of cheating when a program is having success in recruiting, let that person prove it. Otherwise, it simply comes off as sour grapes. I guess when Muschamp starts getting some heralded recruits in here, and he will, it will only be due to cheating? But that's what they will be saying about us at UPC and Ole Miss.
I bet the taters will be emailing and calling the NCAA left and right when that happens. You watch.

What is glaring to me is that Clemson is signing a ridiculous amount of kids from Florida that have no ties whatsoever to Clemson (ie: Spiller, Watkins, McCloud, Alexander, etc.).
Florida has been in Clemson's recruiting footprint for ..... 30? years, and not to add fuel, but the Scott's(ie: Brad and Jeff by association) are well respected in the state of Florida.

Not that glaring.

NOW, if Clemson started pulling kids out of the state of Texas or California? THEN, that would be glaring

As a Clemson fan, you can only imagine that I would take exception to the comparison between Ol' Miss and Clemson, LOL! Clemson's recruiting success started with James Davis... an Atlanta kid. HE convinced Spiller to go to Clemson. After Spiller got there it was "ride that pony as far a we can." i.e. Promote him for Heisman's, give him the ball 30 times a game, pad his stats, etc With Sammy Watkins, Clemson got a little lucky, but primarily Clemson outworked the instate Florida schools. Clemson had offered almost a year before the instate Florida schools even know who he was.

On top of all this, Clemson (Swinney) also hired high profile assistants. They were selling the history of getting guys ready for the NFL.

Lastly, and this cannot be emphasized enough, Clemson is one of the only schools that still conducts a real football camp for high school kids. Several hundred kids a year go to Clemson to actually learn the sport from the Clemson coaches. I have spoke to a few high school coaches from Virginia who traveled to Clemson because of the football camp reputation. Call Dabo all the names you want but he loves working the camp and this has paid huge dividends.

Reactions: ChairForceCock

Yes and several posting $$$$ pics. Spiller grad top of the class. Lol

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
As a Clemson fan, you can only imagine that I would take exception to the comparison between Ol' Miss and Clemson, LOL! Clemson's recruiting success started with James Davis... an Atlanta kid. HE convinced Spiller to go to Clemson. After Spiller got there it was "ride that pony as far a we can." i.e. Promote him for Heisman's, give him the ball 30 times a game, pad his stats, etc With Sammy Watkins, Clemson got a little lucky, but primarily Clemson outworked the instate Florida schools. Clemson had offered almost a year before the instate Florida schools even know who he was.

On top of all this, Clemson (Swinney) also hired high profile assistants. They were selling the history of getting guys ready for the NFL.

Lastly, and this cannot be emphasized enough, Clemson is one of the only schools that still conducts a real football camp for high school kids. Several hundred kids a year go to Clemson to actually learn the sport from the Clemson coaches. I have spoke to a few high school coaches from Virginia who traveled to Clemson because of the football camp reputation. Call Dabo all the names you want but he loves working the camp and this has paid huge dividends.

The camp is a big deal. They embrace the kids and act like they enjoy hosting the event. From Dabo on down.

Of course there's no link that breaks down recruits by religion. But common sense tells you that most blue chip recruits in the southeast are black, and not many blacks in the SE are mainline protestants, and even less so Catholics. It's an assumption that seems to be working for Freeze and Swinney.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...03de32-2dfa-11e4-bb9b-997ae96fad33_story.html
I see your point. However Pentecostal and Holiness churches are predominantly white, whereas it seems the majority of black churches (at least in my area) are Apostolic or African Methodist Episcopal (AME).

The connection here is B.Scott. He has built a strong hold with high school coaches and AD while at FSU.

Who are you defending?
I'm defending nobody. However, I am requesting hard evidence. Anyone can just shoot off their mouths about anything. But, some posters make statements as if it's a proven fact. I just want to see it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT