ADVERTISEMENT

How did Ole Miss suddenly emerge as a major recruiting power . . .

Not necessarily.
From Merriam-Webster Online:
sour grapes
noun plural
  • : unfair criticism that comes from someone who is disappointed about not getting something

Aesop's Fable: The fox can't reach the grapes because they are too high, decides they must be sour and that he doesn't want them anyway.

Correct denotation with incorrect connotation is still incorrect.

being serious for a moment and putting the "hate" aside, the difference between Freeze and Swinney is that Swinney's recruiting successes have come within the recruiting footprint of Clemson or with kids that are out of region but have ties to the University or the area (ie: family members who live in Anderson).

What is glaring to me is that Ole Miss is listed by a ridiculous amount of kids that have no ties whatsoever to Mississippi(ie: Treadwell). Additionally flipping kids who have been committed to schools for a year+ at the last second is a HUGE red flag (ie: Tunsil).

To be frank, if the NCAA didnt step in and hammer UNC for what they did (which is just disgusting IMO), they arent going to do a thing about a few weighted handshakes.

Ole Miss' downfall will be when the big boys in the SEC West get fed up with being "outbid", complain to the SEC front office, and Ole Miss is offered up as a sacrificial lamb. Until then ........ ??????????

Do you really believe everyone but USC is paying for recruits?

Paying for recruits only gets you so far...you still have to coach them up and find players that actually make sense within your game plan...

And being very good at talent evaluation helps...

when I was at Carolina in the late 60's, my class had several fb players. It was a miracle, as we sat alphabetically and all the football players ended up in front of the desk. Every time we had a test the professor would accidentally knock his answer key on the floor in front of his desk. A football player then picked it up, lay it on his desk, but now the key faced the class. One by one they would go ask him a question while looking at the answers on his desk. after they sat down they signaled number and answer.

I decided a long time ago in the cloak and dagger world of recruiting we either don't do as much or as well as others at the process. I just want a program that takes whatever measures are necessary to put us on a level playing field. I also include strength and conditioning with this as well. It all starts with talent but it requires many other components to be a champion: coaching, attitude, team chemistry, lack of key injuries, luck, fan support, facilities, etc. Remember, the Yankees buy the best team they can get every year but they don't always win the title. That's why I'm not ready to crown the Clemtards next year because every year stands on it's own and requires many components to win big.

I decided a long time ago in the cloak and dagger world of recruiting we either don't do as much or as well as others at the process. I just want a program that takes whatever measures are necessary to put us on a level playing field. I also include strength and conditioning with this as well. It all starts with talent but it requires many other components to be a champion: coaching, attitude, team chemistry, lack of key injuries, luck, fan support, facilities, etc. Remember, the Yankees buy the best team they can get every year but they don't always win the title. That's why I'm not ready to crown the Clemtards next year because every year stands on it's own and requires many components to win big.
We would get slapped hard by NCAA if caught cheating. They put us on notice during the Whitney investigation, since it occurred less than 10 years after Lou's probation, that we were in danger of the "habitual offender" tag. One more major, unreported violation would likely lead to a postseason ban and reduced schollies.

Paying for recruits only gets you so far...you still have to coach them up and find players that actually make sense within your game plan...

And being very good at talent evaluation helps...
It can also get you the kind of entitled recruits who think they can skate through life, paying no attention to the rules. People like Lawrence Phillips, who don't belong in college. Like Barry Switzer's kids at OK. They were committing stupid crimes and the FB program would smooth everything over. They were a danger to the other students. No, you can't sell your soul for some FB victories that might end up vacated.

I get your point and I prefer a clean program too but the NCAA isn't doing jack anymore. I just want a level playing field. Hey if it's only a sales job to get the talent in great, but I think it's much more.

I am sure there are quite a few Panther fans here and don't want to offend, but when Auburn bought Cam and the NCAA cleared them of any wrong doings in about 2 hours when every other investigation they did before and since took a mim of 6 weeks others in the SEC west decided to go rogue with them, OM leading the way. They bought the star of their jr class this year, and looks like their bank accounts will be lighter after this class signs. OM is a nice enough campus, but the rest of the state is only matched in poor quality of life by Alabama. Why would anyone from a developed industrial state want to go to what is basically a 3rd world country as for as the basic conditions like education, income, infrastructure is some of the lowest in the country.

You do know that SC is maybe 2 to 3 spots ahead of the state of Miss in those categories you mentioned?

Ole Miss is a school that up until November 1st of 2015 flew the confederate flag on campus, the Ole Miss band plays Dixie in the Groves before the game, they are still the Rebels and its on all of the clothing and merchandise, (forget the Bears) and it is the epitome of the Old South and they are proud of it. I am sure that these inner city kids are just dying to go there. Now, you can put two and two together to find out how they are recruiting so well.Their per diem is pretty good. hahahahahahaha

Of course not, I made a post on page two where I said I think every program in FBS are doing things that would be against the rules and be extra benefits, some are just worse than others. It is what it is....A kid get s car? a family member gets a job? a Mom gets a nice place to live? (((((shrug))))))

Its what UNC did that is truly disgusting.....

Maybe Freeze IS religious and has time to recruit instead of juggling 3 or 4 co-ed mistresses.

I used to cover "my" school (not a SEC school) long long ago and many coaches ago and the rumored sexual exploits of the coaches were mind boggling. Everyone knows about Sanderson at 'bama, Petrino at Arky and Pitino at L'ville but it appears to be almost universal. The coaches, after some success, seem to become drunk with power or just plain drunk.

Coaching and recruiting seems to be the last thing on their minds. The poster should have said that there is one thing that 18 year old guys AND 50 year old coaches like better than football.

A competent and energized staff that focuses on their job can do wonders recruiting.

As a Clemson fan, you can only imagine that I would take exception to the comparison between Ol' Miss and Clemson, LOL! Clemson's recruiting success started with James Davis... an Atlanta kid. HE convinced Spiller to go to Clemson. After Spiller got there it was "ride that pony as far a we can." i.e. Promote him for Heisman's, give him the ball 30 times a game, pad his stats, etc With Sammy Watkins, Clemson got a little lucky, but primarily Clemson outworked the instate Florida schools. Clemson had offered almost a year before the instate Florida schools even know who he was.

On top of all this, Clemson (Swinney) also hired high profile assistants. They were selling the history of getting guys ready for the NFL.

Lastly, and this cannot be emphasized enough, Clemson is one of the only schools that still conducts a real football camp for high school kids. Several hundred kids a year go to Clemson to actually learn the sport from the Clemson coaches. I have spoke to a few high school coaches from Virginia who traveled to Clemson because of the football camp reputation. Call Dabo all the names you want but he loves working the camp and this has paid huge dividends.
You can believe your own words all you want but many outsiders believe impermissible benefits have been taking place. Jobs for family, girlfriends and or family moved to Clemson, New Springs Church rumors, Trust fund for players, Clemson may be able to circumvent the law and make things legal. We shall see. It won't last forever.

Maybe Freeze IS religious and has time to recruit instead of juggling 3 or 4 co-ed mistresses.

I used to cover "my" school (not a SEC school) long long ago and many coaches ago and the rumored sexual exploits of the coaches were mind boggling. Everyone knows about Sanderson at 'bama, Petrino at Arky and Pitino at L'ville but it appears to be almost universal. The coaches, after some success, seem to become drunk with power or just plain drunk.

Coaching and recruiting seems to be the last thing on their minds. The poster should have said that there is one thing that 18 year old guys AND 50 year old coaches like better than football.

A competent and energized staff that focuses on their job can do wonders recruiting.
Freeze even looks like a crook.

Sounds like you know people in Rock Hill. Sometimes it is not always about money but making sure people get into school as well.
Read some books about CFB up until maybe the 80's. They always knew how the game was played as did every other institution. The reason Bama won so many championships back in the day was they were willing to pay more for football players than any other college. Period. Players from that era openly admit they were paid by boosters in what amounted to a signing bonus and got plenty of "$50-100 handshakes" after good games and they didn't have to worry about grades. That certainly turns the heads of poor players whose families need the money and who might also have no chance of getting through college with their smarts.

Bama made the decision a long time ago that football meant more to them than education and they were going to consistently be the best at it no matter what. They employ an army of people whose job it is to gain every possible advantage there is short of going on probation again.

What if people outside of SC start looking at the success Frank is having in basketball, signing a McDonald's AA for the first time since... 15-1 this year. Would you guys be ok if opposing SEC fans started questioning whether SC is paying players or doing something shady? Compare Ole Miss football history with South Carolina's basketball history and one could argue its a wash at best.

Sometimes kids want to go to a school because they connected with the coaches and sometimes they want to be the ones credited for putting a team "on the map." And sometimes coaches get lucky, talent stays in state, or maybe the coaches are just working harder or are better recruiters.

A large part of it was eliminating the Rebel flag as an official symbol and replacing Colonel Reb with the Black Bear.

Makes you wonder how they would have done from 1970 till now if they hadn't been so hard headed.

(I'm not saying that's the only reason) I also think "hostesses" play a large part in their recruiting.
There has been some great conversation on this subject, but one thing is for sure something stinks down there in Oxford and appears fairly obvious. It's one thing to get good players and all programs have a chance to do that to become good and build off of that but Ole Miss went to the top of recruiting with the powers without the tradition and history everyone talks about. It's not the big stadium, the job market, the location the major profile or SEC championship games since they've never been.

I believe they are using multiple tactics that if caught would land them back in their penalty cellar past. Ole Miss is smack dab in the deep south where racism, bigotism, and elitism is still a problem (obviously there's several places like this). Where buying people is still the way to get what you want. It's a school with the Mississippi money donors backing that eventually get fed up with seeing others finish ahead of them. Don't get me wrong, I've never actually been to Ole Miss, but I hear it is a quaint little town and campus where the girls in cute dresses roam around.

But why does a top offensive lineman from Texas spurns A&M after being committed to them for a long time for Ole Miss over UT Austin, Alabama, So Cal? Frankly, Ole Miss is mentioned on several top players list that will at least give them a chance to earn a date at the dance. We have seen the twitter picture witha stack of cash (Treadwell), accusations from Tunsil's step dad and plausible deniability by Ole Miss, and Nkimdeche on twitter with marijuana but still remains eligible until the last incident. Also, there seems to be something to the hostess or more program down there. Extra goodies that are available that makes playing for them a more relaxing environment.

Now that's funny right there. BS left FL ST in 1993 when hired at SC. That's 23 years ago. I would dare say that the vast majority of those AD's and coaches are no longer AD's or coaches. Besides, those relationships did nothing for him while at SC.

It doesn't matter if it has been 23 years. He was responsible for bringing in Sammy Watkins, CJ Spiller,Mike Bellemy ( who was a bust)...just to name a few.

You can believe your own words all you want but many outsiders believe impermissible benefits have been taking place. Jobs for family, girlfriends and or family moved to Clemson, New Springs Church rumors, Trust fund for players, Clemson may be able to circumvent the law and make things legal. We shall see. It won't last forever.

And you can believe what you wrote. The difference is that mine is the truth and can be backed up by the reporting on various websites thus is indisputable. (except for the part about me speaking to some high school coaches) Yours is just your fantasy.

over the past couple of years in the SEC and nationally? For decades, the Rebels have looked up to LSU, Bama, Auburn, UF, UGA and even UTe. Now, they are an elite recruiting machine. Interesting
Great recruiting staff and a beautiful campus......plus support of university. Plain & simple.

Maybe Ole Miss has some fantastic recruiters on staff. Has anyone ever considered that? What are we going to say if, next year, we have a Top 5 or 10 class? Is anyone here going to raise eyebrows?

I am sure there are quite a few Panther fans here and don't want to offend, but when Auburn bought Cam and the NCAA cleared them of any wrong doings in about 2 hours when every other investigation they did before and since took a mim of 6 weeks others in the SEC west decided to go rogue with them, OM leading the way. They bought the star of their jr class this year, and looks like their bank accounts will be lighter after this class signs. OM is a nice enough campus, but the rest of the state is only matched in poor quality of life by Alabama. Why would anyone from a developed industrial state want to go to what is basically a 3rd world country as for as the basic conditions like education, income, infrastructure is some of the lowest in the country.

Where are you from? And, what is a developed Industrial state?

Maybe Ole Miss has some fantastic recruiters on staff. Has anyone ever considered that? What are we going to say if, next year, we have a Top 5 or 10 class? Is anyone here going to raise eyebrows?

Yes - I will be the first to admit that if we get 3 or 4 Five Star players next year that choose us over power houses then something fishy is going in. Just like when middle of nowhere schools like Ole Miss or Clemson does.

I wouldn't be suspicious if we get multiple 5 star kids if they are in state though.

Yes - I will be the first to admit that if we get 3 or 4 Five Star players next year that choose us over power houses then something fishy is going in. Just like when middle of nowhere schools like Ole Miss or Clemson does.

I wouldn't be suspicious if we get multiple 5 star kids if they are in state though.
Based on my reading, I do not see that Ole Miss is being charged with any serious violations during Freeze's watch. I'm not saying he is an angel. But, hard work in recruiting counts. That's something that has been lacking here for quite awhile. We are getting some 4 stars (based on other recruiting services) from out of state in basketball. I'd like to think that Frank Martin is an aggressive recruiter, something we have not seen here since the days of Frank McGuire

over the past couple of years in the SEC and nationally? For decades, the Rebels have looked up to LSU, Bama, Auburn, UF, UGA and even UTe. Now, they are an elite recruiting machine. Interesting
So now you know.

It's simple..........their stipend to players is much much bigger than other schools. Of course, it's okay as long as no coaches wife or team mom bakes them cookieso_O

It's going to happen. Thanks to your buddy Steve Spurrier, this football program is VERY attractive and kids know you can win here. Add to that the tons of facilities improvements and the groundwork is there. This staff knows recruiting in the modern era.

What you may not realize is that most other schools in the SEC have huge recruiting departments, something USC did not have. Spurrier has always been able to recruit guys the old fashioned way and win, but he finally realized that wasn't working anymore. Things have changed.

For example, Clemson has a recruting dept 4 or 5 levels deep that includes students who help design marketing media to send out to recruits. They even started sending interactive content where the kids would have to text back an answer, so they knew they were reading the material and getting a response. They have a "war room" with their targets on a board, the staff is focused on getting those guys to Clemson. My understanding is it's a well laid out operation and the results speak for themselves. Say what you want about Dabo, but he has that program all mapped out and he's done a heck of a job. I think Muschamp and co. will be right up there with them here in a minute.

The report on ESPN is that most of these NCAA allegations predate Freeze. The only one during his tenure is the guy who already sat out last season because of impermissible benefits-driving around in a car with no payments, etc.

....Remember? Danny Ford openly named only ONE college football coach that 'turned me in' - don't recall his name but he coached at NCSU in the early 80's - Danny did this ON NATIONAL TELEVISION! Funny. He didn't go after Vince Dooley or whomever was coaching at UTe at the time.
It was Lane Kiffin's Dad - Monte.

This wasn't asked of me, but I believe the only 2 paying for recruits now are Auburn who has cheated so long they think its the same thing its part of the scholarship, and Ole Miss. They got tired of getting hammered by LSU, Bama, AU and most seasons MSST. Freeze is an elite recruiter, but Kiffin's brother is and had a "show cause" to hire for buying kids at other stops. Dirtiest program in the conference right now, thus the 2 notifications of investigations the last few days.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT