ADVERTISEMENT

How does Moo U keep its coaching staff?

USC2USC

Aug 6, 2001
During this painful run by the Farmers, one thing I have not understood is how they have kept their coaching staff together...losing very few to offers from other schools. I think this kind of staff consistency is vastly underrated when it comes to things needed for a successful program. I guess credit has to go to the CU AD for locking them down financially. I know its early but dont really hear any serious whispering about any of the assts leaving after this year.

I think this was one of the problems during Spurrier's run here. We lost a lot of coaches and the staff consistency wasnt great. Have to fault either SOS or Tanner for that and I think it prevented us from having a long-term run (10 years, etc) of 8,9,10,11 win seasons.

GO COCKS!!! WIN THE BOWL!!!

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Pay them. Let their kids play on the team (along with the AD's kid). Don't let them pay for anything. Give them a jet to ride around in. Treat them like living gods.

Not many places can pull it off. We certainly couldn't. Not if Bob McNair left us all his billions.

Dabo is the coaches whisperer.

I remember him giving part of his raise to the coaches.

Also, the head coaches of other sports make crap allowing the funneling of everything to football.

No sources other than my gut.

All wrong answers. Put yourself in their shoes....would you rather stay and not have to work really hard while playing that sisters of the pathetic schedule...while at the same time the media literally slobbers all over you and (falsely) increases your value so when it comes time you can have one of the 8 or so premiere jobs in the country....OR...would you take a lesser, but decent job elsewhere where you have to actually work really hard?

Simple answer. It's the Clem$on way. The top 8 or so premiere jobs in the country have the cheating system built in, just like Clem$on is used to.

All wrong answers. Put yourself in their shoes....would you rather stay and not have to work really hard while playing that sisters of the pathetic schedule...while at the same time the media literally slobbers all over you and (falsely) increases your value so when it comes time you can have one of the 8 or so premiere jobs in the country....OR...would you take a lesser, but decent job elsewhere where you have to actually work really hard?

Simple answer. It's the Clem$on way. The top 8 or so premiere jobs in the country have the cheating system built in, just like Clem$on is used to.

Name one ex-Clemson coach ‘slobbered’ over and receiving ‘lots of money’ as in money. I’m waiting....

I don’t think their assistants are that highly desired with the exception of Venebles, and he is defensive while all teams seem to want offensive ‘geniuses’. Still waiting...,

Name one ex-Clemson coach ‘slobbered’ over and receiving ‘lots of money’ as in money. I’m waiting....

I don’t think their assistants are that highly desired with the exception of Venebles, and he is defensive while all teams seem to want offensive ‘geniuses’. Still waiting...,

I never said "ex" - read it again, and try harder next time.

\But why has he not yet gotten a shot as a head coach?

How do you know he hasn't in a private way? I imagine all kinds of lesser schools have contacted him but like I said before, he'd be a fool to leave unless it's to a premier school.

During this painful run by the Farmers, one thing I have not understood is how they have kept their coaching staff together...losing very few to offers from other schools. I think this kind of staff consistency is vastly underrated when it comes to things needed for a successful program. I guess credit has to go to the CU AD for locking them down financially. I know its early but dont really hear any serious whispering about any of the assts leaving after this year.

I think this was one of the problems during Spurrier's run here. We lost a lot of coaches and the staff consistency wasnt great. Have to fault either SOS or Tanner for that and I think it prevented us from having a long-term run (10 years, etc) of 8,9,10,11 win seasons.

GO COCKS!!! WIN THE BOWL!!!

I think you're spot on with your assessment that staff continuity is a vital part to program consistency (sans Alabama). I think there are a few different reason for the staff consistency up at Clemson.

There's no doubt that the way they pay their assistants up there is a big part, but it's definitely not the only reason given that other schools have no doubt offered some of them comparable salaries to leave.

Some of the hottest names there are their OC's Tony Elliott and Jeff Scott. Both of those guys are Clemson alums with long histories at the school, so it would probably take a perfect opportunity for them to leave. A lateral move is probably unlikely for them and given that they are fairly young and have kids in school in the area it probably makes it even less likely. That's not to say that they wouldn't eventually leave for a HC job somewhere, but it would have to be a perfect fit.

Duplicating that formula with two OC's that could prove to be such great hires at most schools could be difficult given how well Scott and Elliott have performed since being promoted to replace Chad Morris. I don't think many people including Clemson fans would have predicted that their offense would actually improve in many areas after losing Chad Morris.

With Venables I think it is a combination of a few things also. First, they have made him one of the highest paid DC's in the country for several years now. Also, he now has a son that is playing at Clemson. For those reasons I don't think he would want to make a lateral move. He seems to be the type of guy that remains loyal to a program for the long term as evidenced by his long tenure at OU and now Clemson. I believe he only left OU because Bob Stoops brought his brother back in to be co-DC. Finally, Venables seems to be one of the rare coaches that is perfectly content remaining at the coordinator level instead of becoming a HC. He could possibly move back to his alma mater when Bill Snyder finally retires, but outside of that I don't think he'll be leaving for at least a few more years.

I think they have had some turnover with their other assistants. I know they lost a DE and DT coach just a couple years ago. Their QB coach is their former QB Brandon Streeter whom I haven't heard mentioned as a candidate anywhere else. I'm not sure if Robbie Caldwell has been a candidate anywhere either.

If your hypothesis was true (not) then it would make them an ‘ex’....I’m done.

Go COCKS!

Tweaked your urange nerve huh? I'm sorry you cannot comprehend english. I don't have any crayons but I'll try to break it down for you better. The CURRENT coaching staff at Clem$on has stayed in tact and will CONTINUE to stay in tact (the point of the OP's post) because 1) The media as a whole slobbers all over them as the best team ever in the ultraverse. 2) By slobbering on FALSE hype, it only elevates the FALSE narrative the Clem$on has the best coaches in the ultraverse - thus increasing their FALSE perceived value around the country. 3) When you understand that, then you can understand my post - no need to leave Moo U until you're offered the very best coaching job. If you're not offered on those 8 or so jobs....you stay in the hype machine and continue to shred the sisters of the pathetic conference.

Easy enough to follow along now?

Tweaked your urange nerve huh? I'm sorry you cannot comprehend english. I don't have any crayons but I'll try to break it down for you better. The CURRENT coaching staff at Clem$on has stayed in tact and will CONTINUE to stay in tact (the point of the OP's post) because 1) The media as a whole slobbers all over them as the best team ever in the ultraverse. 2) By slobbering on FALSE hype, it only elevates the FALSE narrative the Clem$on has the best coaches in the ultraverse - thus increasing their FALSE perceived value around the country. 3) When you understand that, then you can understand my post - no need to leave Moo U until you're offered the very best coaching job. If you're not offered on those 8 or so jobs....you stay in the hype machine and continue to shred the sisters of the pathetic conference.

Easy enough to follow along now?

Have a drink and enjoy your Saturday. I’m good.

I think you're spot on with your assessment that staff continuity is a vital part to program consistency (sans Alabama). I think there are a few different reason for the staff consistency up at Clemson.

There's no doubt that the way they pay their assistants up there is a big part, but it's definitely not the only reason given that other schools have no doubt offered some of them comparable salaries to leave.

Some of the hottest names there are their OC's Tony Elliott and Jeff Scott. Both of those guys are Clemson alums with long histories at the school, so it would probably take a perfect opportunity for them to leave. A lateral move is probably unlikely for them and given that they are fairly young and have kids in school in the area it probably makes it even less likely. That's not to say that they wouldn't eventually leave for a HC job somewhere, but it would have to be a perfect fit.

Duplicating that formula with two OC's that could prove to be such great hires at most schools could be difficult given how well Scott and Elliott have performed since being promoted to replace Chad Morris. I don't think many people including Clemson fans would have predicted that their offense would actually improve in many areas after losing Chad Morris.

With Venables I think it is a combination of a few things also. First, they have made him one of the highest paid DC's in the country for several years now. Also, he now has a son that is playing at Clemson. For those reasons I don't think he would want to make a lateral move. He seems to be the type of guy that remains loyal to a program for the long term as evidenced by his long tenure at OU and now Clemson. I believe he only left OU because Bob Stoops brought his brother back in to be co-DC. Finally, Venables seems to be one of the rare coaches that is perfectly content remaining at the coordinator level instead of becoming a HC. He could possibly move back to his alma mater when Bill Snyder finally retires, but outside of that I don't think he'll be leaving for at least a few more years.

I think they have had some turnover with their other assistants. I know they lost a DE and DT coach just a couple years ago. Their QB coach is their former QB Brandon Streeter whom I haven't heard mentioned as a candidate anywhere else. I'm not sure if Robbie Caldwell has been a candidate anywhere either.

Nice post and I agree with most. Though with their success you would tbink their assistant would have gotten more serious head coaching opportunities. I dont agree that it would take the head job at an elite school. Seems they would be interested in a well palying Power 5 program that is on the rise, etc (a K State or Missouri kind of school).
I also think allegiance to your alma mater is overblown. its a job and a career and I think most (not all) would make decisions based on whats the best career move.

Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT