ADVERTISEMENT

How in the hell do you foul out...

Give Martin a break. A couple of Silva’s fouls were far outside the lane area. The kind where as a senior you just don’t do.

Reactions: Bclc829
Wish Martin would start defending Silva instead of jumping him all the time. Silva cannot get close to an opposing player without a foul called. The only way we made it to the final 4 was the officials let him play.
I agree. Martin needs to get teed up a few times and let the officials know they're going to get called on their BS. He should probably call them out a time or two in press conferences, and take the financial hit.

Also agree about the FF run. I don't think we ever had to worry SEC officials calling those games.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
His foul trouble reminds me of his Fr and Soph years. Last season, he was Co-Defensive Player Of The Year. Something has drastically changed from last season. Either Silva has just become reckless or the way games are being officiated has drastically changed. Was there some rule change since last season? It just doesn’t add up.

For some reason SEC officials won't let him play. You can see in the final four year with different officials, he had no foul problem at all.

Reactions: PC31
He didn't? I don't fully remember that. It has seemed a lot worse this year, though.

No he didn’t have any problems with foul trouble. He was the SEC’s Co-Defensive Player Of The Year last season. Something changed!

So, 8 minutes. We probably had the ball for half of the time, 4 minutes. Say we average 25 seconds with the ball. Thats about 9 trips down the floor he scored 7 points, so on 3 of those trips he didn't get a foul. Not sure if he got an offendive foul called on him, but probably not. So in 4 minutes, 9 lsu offensive trips to our end he picked up 5 fouls. 1 every other trip. Wow.....just wow.

I've never seen a four-year player regress so much.

.....and have you ever seen a program ( football) on a 4 year run regress so much..it must be in the water at SC... and i'm not even mentioning the baseball team

Last edited:
.....and have you ever seen a program ( football) on a 4 year run regress so much..it must be in the water at SC... and i'm not even mentioning the baseball team
Let's give baseball a shot at turning it around, which I think began to happen last season. I catch your essential point, however.

Does Silva get some bad calls against him? Sure. Most every player does along the line. But Silva also brings a lot of it on himself because he has set his reputation as the guy that is going to reach and commit the silliest of fouls. He will do something stupid 20 feet from the basket and conversely cannot seem to resist swatting his arms down when attempting to block a shot near the rim. I am sure Frank is beyond frustrated as I am sure the staff has talked to him about it constantly since he got to campus. Easy to always blame the refs for picking on someone, but the player has to not give them the idea that every contact is due to him just being careless. Silva is a good player, but just not a very smart player.

He doesn't want to be here, and that has been obvious since the beginning of the season.

I believe these things happen because of our style of play. We could be called for a foul 2-3 times every possession. We play scrappy, basically daring the refs to call fouls on us. Some games they don’t and we fare well in those games because it’s basically impossible to stay in your game plan offensively when you have guys physically pushing you around non-stop. Then we have games where the refs do call them, specifically on Silva. That hurts us. Good thing is they usually call a lot of fouls on the other team to balance it out.

The officials called it tighter on Carolina than they did LSU, period. Some horrendous calls and some inexplicable no-calls. It happens in the SEC. Having said that, LSU shot 91% from the line. They scored 26 more points from the line than we did. You give a team that hits like that from the line, 35 chances you probably ain't gonna beat them.

Once you have this part of your game assigned to you and the perception exists through out the conference and the officiating crews, you aren't blessed with any wiggle room and rather than try to avoid the issue and adjust his play, he continues to further the issue, until he can play many many games without foul trouble, this stigma is his to own.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT