ADVERTISEMENT

How tough is the SEC East Division?

gr8spur

Sep 16, 2003
Looked at the the current 2017 Recruiting Team Rankings. Among the top 13 teams, there are five from our division. The SEC East is always going to be a knock 'em, sock 'em, slug fest. I love it!

Looked at the the current 2017 Recruiting Team Rankings. Among the top 13 teams, there are five from our division. The SEC East is always going to be a knock 'em, sock 'em, slug fest. I love it!
I've been saying the last 2-3 years that the East was finally going to take the SEC West... hasn't happened yet... not sure if it's going to happen this year.

With the Tennessee fan hype train that's gone off the track this offseason... I'll actually be pulling for Alabama against them this season... *shiver*

You can not want the East to step up at this point. Carolina will never get out of the hole if the East is getting better and better. Need the East to flounder a little more until we can get back on somewhat equal footing.

You can not want the East to step up at this point. Carolina will never get out of the hole if the East is getting better and better. Need the East to flounder a little more until we can get back on somewhat equal footing.

My friend, you may have the best avatar, EVER.

It's average. Nothing like it used to be, but not terrible.

Despite how bad we were last season... we still were competing/had a chance for every game except Georgia last year. (Could argue about the Florida game as well... Florida's offense last year was horrible in the 2nd half)

I think that the EAST could have a year here really soon where they were better than the west.

SEC west, ACC Atlantic, and Big 10 East are the top 3. Then you have the next three in PAC 12 North, PAC 12 south, SEC East.

SEC west, ACC Atlantic, and Big 10 East are the top 3. Then you have the next three in PAC 12 North, PAC 12 south, SEC East.
Eh? ACC Atlantic is NOT better than the B1G East, Pac12 north, or the Pac 12 South... I'll concede maybe SEC east last year... but not in the last 8-9 years historically.

Outside of a few flashes of other ACC teams year to year, the ACC the last 8-9 years have been nothing but Clempson and Florida State. I would love to hear a counter-argument on that...

I still love how South Carolina beat the Atlantic Champion in 2009(34-17) and the Gamecocks with a 3-5 record were tied for 7th (with 4 other SEC teams having a 3-5 SEC record).

Georgia beat the Coastal Division Champion in 2009 and the Bulldogs were tied 4th with 4-4 record (with 2 other SEC teams having a 4-4 SEC record)

Reactions: BigTomE
Eh? ACC Atlantic is NOT better than the B1G East, Pac12 north, or the Pac 12 South... I'll concede maybe SEC east last year... but not in the last 8-9 years historically.

Outside of a few flashes of other ACC teams year to year, the ACC the last 8-9 years have been nothing but Clempson and Florida State. I would love to hear a counter-argument on that...

I still love how South Carolina beat the Atlantic Champion in 2009(34-17) and the Gamecocks with a 3-5 record were tied for 7th (with 4 other SEC teams having a 3-5 SEC record).

Georgia beat the Coastal Division Champion in 2009 and the Bulldogs were tied 4th with 4-4 record (with 2 other SEC teams having a 4-4 SEC record)

My counter argument is simple. First of all historically has nothing to do with this year. What happened in 2009 (like how you used something that happened 7 years ago as your argument how they are not top 2 this year) or what teams did in the other ACC division has nothing to do with the Atlantic. All division have 6-7 teams in it. The Atlantic has 2 of the top 4 teams in the country along with another top 20 team in Louisville in one division. You tell me another division that has 1/3 of their division in the top 4 and almost half in the top 20?

The bottom of the Atlantic isn't great at all but no division is great at the bottom. You can't have 2 of the top 4 teams in one division and talk about how it's the 5th, or 6th best division. Sorry man just because it has the letters ACC and Clemson in it doesn't mean we can just ignore facts.

Last edited:
Reactions: griffgolf
Yet to be determined...If the new QBs come thru at South Carolina, Jawja and Floyda, the East will be better than given credit...

My counter argument is simple. First of all historically has nothing to do with this year. What happened in 2009 (like how you used something that happened 7 years ago as your argument how they are not top 2 this year) or what teams did in the other ACC division has nothing to do with the Atlantic. All division have 6-7 teams in it. The Atlantic has 2 of the top 4 teams in the country along with another top 20 team in Louisville in one division. You tell me another division that has 1/3 of their division in the top 4 and almost half in the top 20?

The bottom of the Atlantic isn't great at all but no division is great at the bottom. You can't have 2 of the top 4 teams in one division and talk about how it's the 4th, 5th, or 6th best division. Sorry man just because it has the letters ACC and Clemson in it doesn't mean we can just ignore facts.
Simple? ok, let's make it simple only talking about last year.
Notice that you didn't mention anything about Big12.

Clemson(14-1) Michigan State (12-2) Stanford(12-2) SoCal(8-6)
Florida State(10-3) Ohio State (12-1) Oregon (9-4) Utah(10-3)
Louisville(8-5) Michigan (10-3) Wash State(9-4) UCLA(8-5)
NC State(7-6) (Penn State (7-6) California(8-5) Arizona State(8-5)
Syracuse(4-8) Indiana (6-7) Washington(7-6) Arizona(7-6)
Wake Forest(3-9) Maryland(3-9) Oregon State(2-10) Colorado(4-9)
Boston College(3-9) Rutgers (4-8)

Again, nothing but Clempson and Florida State. there is a huge drop off after Florida State.

Don't give me this preseason ranking crap. If that's what you are doing to try to pump up the ACC Atlantic division now... let's just stop this conversation now before you shoot your eye out.

Florida State ended up #14 last year. And that's IT for the ACC Atlantic. Clempson and Florida State. Where did that massive Boston College team with an amazing defense end up at?

Simple? ok, let's make it simple only talking about last year.
Notice that you didn't mention anything about Big12.

Clemson(14-1) Michigan State (12-2) Stanford(12-2) SoCal(8-6)
Florida State(10-3) Ohio State (12-1) Oregon (9-4) Utah(10-3)
Louisville(8-5) Michigan (10-3) Wash State(9-4) UCLA(8-5)
NC State(7-6) (Penn State (7-6) California(8-5) Arizona State(8-5)
Syracuse(4-8) Indiana (6-7) Washington(7-6) Arizona(7-6)
Wake Forest(3-9) Maryland(3-9) Oregon State(2-10) Colorado(4-9)
Boston College(3-9) Rutgers (4-8)

Again, nothing but Clempson and Florida State. there is a huge drop off after Florida State.

Don't give me this preseason ranking crap. If that's what you are doing to try to pump up the ACC Atlantic division now... let's just stop this conversation now before you shoot your eye out.

Florida State ended up #14 last year. And that's IT for the ACC Atlantic. Clempson and Florida State. Where did that massive Boston College team with an amazing defense end up at?

Really? No preseason ranking crap? So how do we tell what teams have this season if we don't look at what kids teams are bringing back, how many returning starters, etc? Just a min ago you wanted to use 2009 results as proof, but now no preseason crap. Now you want to just use the final rankings from last year and that is the end all be all.

You have to set your rules and stick to them! Can't keep changing your mind on material to prove a point that only you truly believe. I could easily go get written articles to back up what I'm saying, good luck finding one single article or opinion that you can show that has the Atlantic at 5th to 6th best division.

Your list is even bad. You act like Louisville is chopped liver and isn't a good team and only Clemson and FSU have teams in the Atlantic. Like Louisville isn't in the same class as Michigan St, Washington st. Like NC state is a decent team. BC doesnt know what offense is, but have a great defense. Syracuse sucks but did hire a good coach, wake is basically Vandy

It's pointless to argue though. All the people that do this for a living and all the people that write about it for a living agree with my view. The Atlantic is top 3, most have them at 2. If you want to disagree that fine, you have a right to your opinion. I just don't think I or the rest of the nation will agree with you. The only people that will possibly agree are people that have a rival in the Atlantic like on here, Kentucky website, and fla website.

Really? No preseason ranking crap? So how do we tell what teams have this season if we don't look at what kids teams are bringing back, how many returning starters, etc? Just a min ago you wanted to use 2009 results as proof, but now no preseason crap. Now you want to just use the final rankings from last year and that is the end all be all.

You have to set your rules and stick to them! Can't keep changing your mind on material to prove a point that only you truly believe. I could easily go get written articles to back up what I'm saying, good luck finding one single article or opinion that you can show that has the Atlantic at 5th to 6th best division.

Your list is even bad. You act like Louisville is chopped liver and isn't a good team and only Clemson and FSU have teams in the Atlantic. Like Louisville isn't in the same class as Michigan St, Washington st. Like NC state is a decent team. BC doesnt know what offense is, but have a great defense. Syracuse sucks but did hire a good coach, wake is basically Vandy

It's pointless to argue though. All the people that do this for a living and all the people that write about it for a living agree with my view. The Atlantic is top 3, most have them at 2. If you want to disagree that fine, you have a right to your opinion. I just don't think I or the rest of the nation will agree with you. The only people that will possibly agree are people that have a rival in the Atlantic like on here, Kentucky website, and fla website.
Let's get back to macro... your original and GENERIC statement you placed.
You put the SEC West, ACC Atlantic, and B1G East as if they all deserve to be the same boat. I'm not even going to argue that point. If you truly believe that, there's no amount of logic that can get past the fairy dust you are throwing there.

Then you wanted to state that the ACC Atlantic was better than both Pac12 divisions and the SEC East ill regard to context. I answered both historically and last season.
Historically in the last 8-9 years... that's very jaded fact you are trying to push. Last year? i'll concede the SEC east was probably worse than the ACC Atlantic.

What does me talking about what happen in 2009 have ANYTHING to do with what I said about preseason? Trying to predict how tough your division is going to be preseason let alone individual teams is absolutely idiotic. I'll throw my Gamecocks under the bus here. Preseason 2014, the Gamecocks were #9. How did that work out for us?

Are you defending Louisville 2015? You saying Louisville is NOT 'chopped liver' is like handing Kanye West a microphone to talk about world politics.

Louisville lost to Auburn who ended up 7-6 (2-6 SEC,. same team that barely beat Jackonsville State in OT the next week)
Lost to Houston (Who was pretty good team but still lost to UConn)
Lost to Clemson (good loss obviously and played them tight)
Lost to Florida State
Barely beat Wake Forest
Lost to Pitts
Beat a 5-7 Kentucky team (2-6 SEC)

The only signature win by Louisville was beating Houston and Texas A&M(8-5, 4-4 SEC) team last year.
They weren't even RANKED by the end of the year.

You are right, the preseason does have some ACC teams in the top 25.
But if your only argument is because that's what the professionals believe for preseason?
"Its like when I'm right I'm right, when I'm wrong I could been right, so I'm still right cause I coulda been wrong" - Bama from Get Rich or Die Tryin'

Louisville is a decent team. They are not in the same class as Michigan State or Washington State for that matter. NC State is mediocre. The rest of that division is hot garbage.

VANDY would KILL wake forest 10 times out of 10--see what I did there?? GO COCKS!!!!!!

Let's get back to macro... your original and GENERIC statement you placed.
You put the SEC West, ACC Atlantic, and B1G East as if they all deserve to be the same boat. I'm not even going to argue that point. If you truly believe that, there's no amount of logic that can get past the fairy dust you are throwing there.

Then you wanted to state that the ACC Atlantic was better than both Pac12 divisions and the SEC East ill regard to context. I answered both historically and last season.
Historically in the last 8-9 years... that's very jaded fact you are trying to push. Last year? i'll concede the SEC east was probably worse than the ACC Atlantic.

What does me talking about what happen in 2009 have ANYTHING to do with what I said about preseason? Trying to predict how tough your division is going to be preseason let alone individual teams is absolutely idiotic. I'll throw my Gamecocks under the bus here. Preseason 2014, the Gamecocks were #9. How did that work out for us?

Are you defending Louisville 2015? You saying Louisville is NOT 'chopped liver' is like handing Kanye West a microphone to talk about world politics.

Louisville lost to Auburn who ended up 7-6 (2-6 SEC,. same team that barely beat Jackonsville State in OT the next week)
Lost to Houston (Who was pretty good team but still lost to UConn)
Lost to Clemson (good loss obviously and played them tight)
Lost to Florida State
Barely beat Wake Forest
Lost to Pitts
Beat a 5-7 Kentucky team (2-6 SEC)

The only signature win by Louisville was beating Houston and Texas A&M(8-5, 4-4 SEC) team last year.
They weren't even RANKED by the end of the year.

You are right, the preseason does have some ACC teams in the top 25.
But if your only argument is because that's what the professionals believe for preseason?
"Its like when I'm right I'm right, when I'm wrong I could been right, so I'm still right cause I coulda been wrong" - Bama from Get Rich or Die Tryin'

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...e-football-divisions-heading-into-2016/page/8

Find something that says they are not a top 3 divisions! You won't and will tell me how preseason doesn't matter and how you can't tell who will be good. I guess the SEC west could be 7th or 8th at the end of the year and the east could be 1 followed by both PAC 12 divisions. I mean we know absolutely nothing because preseason doesn't matter. So it could happen!

I guess we need to look who #9 is this season cause they are screwed! I mean because we fell on our face that means all preseason stuff is useless. Also it was auburn that fell on their face last season. Nothing against the media but they alway overhype one team a year!! This year I think it's Tennessee not because of talent but because I don't think jones is a good game day coach at all.

Louisville started a true freshman QB and got better at the end of the year. Auburn was the first game of the season and Louisville almost came back. When did top 10 teams become pretty good team (Houston)? You do realize Pitt is right outside the top 25 and is expected to be pretty good this season? Louisville has a good amount of returners to a young team that got better and better at the end of the year and it's the reason they are expected to be a top 20 team.

Last point yes FSU and Clemson are the class of the Atlantic. They would be the class of any division. You can't just say well that's it so the division sucks! If we took LSU and Alabama out of the west it wouldn't be near the top. You have to take in account that the Atlantic has those to top 5 teams

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...e-football-divisions-heading-into-2016/page/8

Find something that says they are not a top 3 divisions! You won't and will tell me how preseason doesn't matter and how you can't tell who will be good. I guess the SEC west could be 7th or 8th at the end of the year and the east could be 1 followed by both PAC 12 divisions. I mean we know absolutely nothing because preseason doesn't matter. So it could happen!

I guess we need to look who #9 is this season cause they are screwed! I mean because we fell on our face that means all preseason stuff is useless. Also it was auburn that fell on their face last season. Nothing against the media but they alway overhype one team a year!! This year I think it's Tennessee not because of talent but because I don't think jones is a good game day coach at all.

Louisville started a true freshman QB and got better at the end of the year. Auburn was the first game of the season and Louisville almost came back. When did top 10 teams become pretty good team (Houston)? You do realize Pitt is right outside the top 25 and is expected to be pretty good this season? Louisville has a good amount of returners to a young team that got better and better at the end of the year and it's the reason they are expected to be a top 20 team.

Last point yes FSU and Clemson are the class of the Atlantic. They would be the class of any division. You can't just say well that's it so the division sucks! If we took LSU and Alabama out of the west it wouldn't be near the top. You have to take in account that the Atlantic has those to top 5 teams
Now that I know I'm talking to a wall... Here's my response.
FQybuaN.gif

Now that I know I'm talking to a wall... Here's my response.
FQybuaN.gif
You are correct about a wall..Had my own episode last week when these morons stated that the Atlantic division is the hardest in the nation to win! If they beat FSU they win period. They have to beat one really good team to win their division! Try beating 8 very decent teams week in and week out for 12 weeks to even be in the hunt....please this is big boy football. Clemson and FSU are big fish in a little pond......easy to be picked as the top dog!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT