ADVERTISEMENT

I Don't Care About What We Deserve

allyourbase

Jul 13, 2001
A common theme on this board is people saying we should've declined our bowl invite because we don't "deserve" to be there. We didn't earn it. My response: who cares? College football isn't about getting what one deserves. If programs got what they deserved, Clemson would have been stripped of their 1980 national title and Penn State wouldn't have a football program anymore.

And I for one don't feel sorry for any program but our own. Our program has gotten screwed so many times over the years by arcane rules and shenanigans that I simply can't feel bad for other programs when they get hind tit. Like, why do any of us feel sorry for Texas A&M not making the playoffs? Oh, poor TAMU with their unlimited money and 8 win season. No one was crying when we didn't go to the BCS when we had 10 wins even though Clemson did after we beat them by double digits. Nor should they have. Feel sorry for your program and no one else's. Same with Army. I appreciate the cadets and their future service, but no way should we cede a bowl invitation to another school because we feel sorry for them or because they earned it and we didn't. I don't care if our players didn't earn it. I want to see us play more football and bowls are about the fans and ratings.

No, I for one will be watching our bowl game. We'll probably lose, but Carolina fans deserve to see our team play in a bowl even if they didn't earn it. We deserve to see Kevin Harris on the field one more time. And if we somehow win (again, unlikely), the record books won't say we shouldn't have been there. They'll simply say we won a bowl game, which is more than most teams in this school's history can say. And if we lose, it'll be just another loss in an already cruddy season, so who cares? And if you don't like it, feel free to enjoy Boxing Day in your own way.

I was surprised we were invited to a bowl. And don’t think we should decline an opportunity for another game. As long as the team plays to win I’m for it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT