ADVERTISEMENT

I don't much like CWM putting the blame for the loss on one kid

gr8spur

Sep 16, 2003
Concerning the botched punt return return at the end of last Saturday's game our coach had this to say: “We have to continue to work and improve and what happened at the end of the game can’t happen. It cost us an opportunity for us to win the game.” Listen, mistakes, miscues and funny bounces of the ball are all part of the game. It happens. My problem is, I feel like the coach is doing a little finger pointing at one of our players, who in his words, "cost us an opportunity...to win the game." I'm sorry, but I think blaming a loss on one play (and one player by reference to it) is lame. A game consists of a lot of plays. And all players make mistakes. I think CWM's finger pointing is a way of deflecting the negative attention away from himself. Coach, this is your team. When they win, you heap the praise on them. That's how it works. And when the lose, YOU, Sir, take the blame. That's also how it works. Don't throw a kid under the bus. It's classless.
And before any point it out to me, I do see where he used the plural pronouns "we" and "us." But the "what happened" and "It cost us" were laser beams pointing to one play and one player. Anyhow, it just sat wrong with me when I read it.

Which player? The one hit with ball or the punt returner whose job it is to warn the blockers to stop blocking and get out of the way? In that situation the returner is supposed to yell a predetermined safe word like "poison" or "fire" to warn the blockers that a bad punt is coming their way. From this comment from coach I can't tell if he is talking about the players or the special teams coach. Hardly a laser beam.
The fact that this happens quite often demonstrates how difficult these situations can be. I've seen guys disengage their blocks to get out of the way and actually run into the path of the ball.

Concerning the botched punt return return at the end of last Saturday's game our coach had this to say: “We have to continue to work and improve and what happened at the end of the game can’t happen. It cost us an opportunity for us to win the game.” Listen, mistakes, miscues and funny bounces of the ball are all part of the game. It happens. My problem is, I feel like the coach is doing a little finger pointing at one of our players, who in his words, "cost us an opportunity...to win the game." I'm sorry, but I think blaming a loss on one play (and one player by reference to it) is lame. A game consists of a lot of plays. And all players make mistakes. I think CWM's finger pointing is a way of deflecting the negative attention away from himself. Coach, this is your team. When they win, you heap the praise on them. That's how it works. And when the lose, YOU, Sir, take the blame. That's also how it works. Don't throw a kid under the bus. It's classless.
And before any point it out to me, I do see where he used the plural pronouns "we" and "us." But the "what happened" and "It cost us" were laser beams pointing to one play and one player. Anyhow, it just sat wrong with me when I read it.
I am a firm believer that a program like ours cannot change coaches every 4 years and succeed. we need a program with consistency and development, that being said I am starting to doubt Muschamp can get it done. For me it started last year after Edwards got hurt and other players had to return punts. The returners were obviously told not to field the punts because he did not trust they could catch it cleanly. That showed a defeated attitude.

Reactions: TheReelEss
It was a dumb mistake (or maybe it was on the returner). But had we shown any fire in the first half, the game would have played out differently. Not saying we would have won. But we most likely would not have been in that exact position. A lot of games have gone against us simply because we always seem to need to come back. Our offense can't produce consistently enough to get a first down when we need to.

This is a failing of his staff. They don't field or advance punts and don't want to return kicks. How many yards do they give up game in the punt return? Someone should check that stat because I don't feel like taking the time.

Which player? The one hit with ball or the punt returner whose job it is to warn the blockers to stop blocking and get out of the way? In that situation the returner is supposed to yell a predetermined safe word like "poison" or "fire" to warn the blockers that a bad punt is coming their way. From this comment from coach I can't tell if he is talking about the players or the special teams coach. Hardly a laser beam.
The fact that this happens quite often demonstrates how difficult these situations can be. I've seen guys disengage their blocks to get out of the way and actually run into the path of the ball.
Good point, treetop. I assumed he was pointing at the kid whose leg the ball hit while he was trying to block. We read things differently. I still feel like he was trying to lay the blame at the player's feet. To me, it just read like someone giving excuses and passing the blame.
I'm of the opinion that Muschamp is not cut out to be a head coach. Maybe an assistant. Maybe even a defensive coordinator. But from what I'm seeing, reading, and hearing, I don't think he's going to make it at Carolina. We've had a few good coaches in my time. I'd include Carlen, Joe, Lou, and Spurrier. And we've had some that just didn't pan out for whatever reason. Like Sparky, Scott, and Bell. I think CWM is going to end up in the latter group. We shall see.

When a kid screws up royally, I'm perfectly ok with the coach saying "He needs to do better, I guess we need to teach better. That can't happen." These 20 year old kids need to take responsibility for their own mistakes as well as the coaches do.

When a kid screws up royally, I'm perfectly ok with the coach saying "He needs to do better, I guess we need to teach better. That can't happen." These 20 year old kids need to take responsibility for their own mistakes as well as the coaches do.
I agree, and disagree. In the game, yes. At a "teaching moment," sure. But days later, after those "teachable" moments have passed? I think at that point it's unbecoming behavior for a coach/mentor of young men to continue to harp on it. When my children need correcting, I do it. But I don't berate them and rehash their mistakes publicly days later. That's demeaning. And that'll foster resentment.

I'd have to look at the play again, but without doing so, I can say we have long had a problem with blockers locking up with one guy and becoming totally oblivious of how play has continued. That may not have been the case here but it has been an issue with his teams.

I agree, and disagree. In the game, yes. At a "teaching moment," sure. But days later, after those "teachable" moments have passed? I think at that point it's unbecoming behavior for a coach/mentor of young men to continue to harp on it. When my children need correcting, I do it. But I don't berate them and rehash their mistakes publicly days later. That's demeaning. And that'll foster resentment.
I also agree. In the post game presser, you out him if it's an egregious error. Then it's done. You work on it and move forward. Completely agree.

I don’t think he blamed the loss on one play. He just pointed out that a major blunder cost us a shot at the end. It did. But there are plenty of reasons why we didn’t win the game.

Reactions: 92Pony and gr8spur
the ones that dont like champ will find something wrong with absolutely every thing he does, kinda like politics

Reactions: 92Pony
What he said was 100% accurate. He did not bame the player or single him out, and for all you know he may be mad at veterans for not yelling loud enough at Cam to get out of the way.

What he said was 100% accurate. He did not bame the player or single him out, and for all you know he may be mad at veterans for not yelling loud enough at Cam to get out of the way.
I’ll concede that he didn’t inject Cam’s name. But he still sounds like some I know who always find someone or something else to blame for his faults. His “fault“ being that he’s not a good coach. For years he’s been blaming this or that for why his teams keep losing. For years he’s been offering excuses. And for years he’s been depositing big fat paychecks in his bank account. And, to be honest, everyone knows he was referring to either both or one of the two players involved in the last turnover.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
the ones that dont like champ will find something wrong with absolutely every thing he does, kinda like politics
You’re probably right. I’m tired of this clown. Never liked the higher from the get go, and he keeps proving me right over and over.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
On his Sunday TV show he said that one play didn’t cost us the game and never does. He said something to the effect of “five, six or seven plays usually cost you the game”. He didn’t single out that particular play. I didn’t hear his post game comments.

Obviously he didn’t “ blame one kid”
So exactly why post something like this
Just baffling

Reactions: 92Pony
While watching the play live, I was waiting on Robinson to run up and field the ball (even on a bounce). Field position was essential and there was a clear path to the ball. He appeared to call off others to get out of the balls path. Cam was clearly engaged in blocking.

Did the play cost us big time? Yes! Was it anyone’s fault? Don’t think so. It was just painful and a lot easier to armchair this thing. But in the heat of the moment, all contributed equally. We win and loose as a team as Champ said on Sunday.

Muse catches that first down over the middle, we probably win that game... Bad drop in key moments always bite us in the ass.

Reactions: uscalumni
Good point, treetop. I assumed he was pointing at the kid whose leg the ball hit while he was trying to block. We read things differently. I still feel like he was trying to lay the blame at the player's feet. To me, it just read like someone giving excuses and passing the blame.
I'm of the opinion that Muschamp is not cut out to be a head coach. Maybe an assistant. Maybe even a defensive coordinator. But from what I'm seeing, reading, and hearing, I don't think he's going to make it at Carolina. We've had a few good coaches in my time. I'd include Carlen, Joe, Lou, and Spurrier. And we've had some that just didn't pan out for whatever reason. Like Sparky, Scott, and Bell. I think CWM is going to end up in the latter group. We shall see.
Every one of those coaches at one time or another has said.....we can't do that.

I’ll concede that he didn’t inject Cam’s name. But he still sounds like some I know who always find someone or something else to blame for his faults. His “fault“ being that he’s not a good coach. For years he’s been blaming this or that for why his teams keep losing. For years he’s been offering excuses. And for years he’s been depositing big fat paychecks in his bank account. And, to be honest, everyone knows he was referring to either both or one of the two players involved in the last turnover.
He also said numerous times the loss was not because of one play, and that is correct. There were multiple plays throughout the game where the tides turned. That was the last play that ended our chances, but had we not... Thrown a pick 6 in the first half, or had we not... Allowed two easy LONG TD passes earlier int he game, or... You get the point. The truth is, it is FB and stuff happens. It is not Cam’s fault (even though he was the one in on 3 of those I mentioned) it is not the QB’s fault- he played well especially in the second half. Nobody lost us the game intentionally, UT just made more good plays than we did. My point was he did not say anything wrong about any individual player. You are inferring something that was not said and making something out of nothing because you are upset we lost and want someone to blame.

Nobody likes to lose. Not me, not the coach, not Cam, not Hill... But nobody wins them all. Implying he attacked a player when he did not is not helpful or true.

Muse catches that first down over the middle, we probably win that game... Bad drop in key moments always bite us in the ass.
True- Or, if Shi catches the pass that hit him in the hands and goes back for a UT TD... but again- no one play lost us that game.

It was a dumb mistake (or maybe it was on the returner). But had we shown any fire in the first half, the game would have played out differently. Not saying we would have won. But we most likely would not have been in that exact position. A lot of games have gone against us simply because we always seem to need to come back. Our offense can't produce consistently enough to get a first down when we need to.

This is a failing of his staff. They don't field or advance punts and don't want to return kicks. How many yards do they give up game in the punt return? Someone should check that stat because I don't feel like taking the time.

I can't remember the last time we even attempted to return a punt.

I remember another one, Cook in almost the same spot dropped one that cost us a game against, I believe Auburn.

USC had a chance to win on the previous possession and chose instead to kick a field goal. That player didn’t cost game the game. Every ball that was turned back over cost the game.

It’s hilarious that people actually want to hold Cam accountable for costing us merely an opportunity for a miracle comeback while Hill gets a totally free pass for actually costing us the game by gift wrapping 7 points for UT that in fact turned out to be the difference in the game.

I've coached most of my adult life and I've always felt a close loss was on me. There's always something I could have done differently.

It’s hilarious that people actually want to hold Cam accountable for costing us merely an opportunity for a miracle comeback while Hill gets a totally free pass for actually costing us the game by gift wrapping 7 points for UT that in fact turned out to be the difference in the game.

We all get it. You hate Hill, you made it abundantly clear when he was named QB1.

It wasn’t a perfect pass, but it hit Shi in the hands. Shi had a great game, but he continued his trend of making great plays wrapped around head scratching plays.

He’s a Sr, and he wants to play in the NFL. To do so, and last, you have to catch balls that hit you in the hands, you have to make an effort to get to the marker for a first down, and you have to keep your cool and not get baited into arguments.

Hill had a good game. If Shi makes that catch, makes an effort to get the first down, and Muse doesn’t donk that pass off his hands we win.

I can't remember the last time we even attempted to return a punt.
Our return squad rolls out a red carpet for the kickIng team’s gunners. Our returners never seem to even have a sliver of daylight between themselves and the first cover guy.

Maybe we should just put 11 on the line and attempt to block every punt. (/sarcasm)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT