ADVERTISEMENT

I don't understand the Spurrier bashing on here

goldengator

Jun 7, 2003
Guys, this is not a flame, but with all due respect you guys who say you hate Spurrier need to let me know the next time you win 11 games in a season (much less 3 years in a row)

Again, this is not a flame. Before he came to Florida, our history was very similar to yours. If you look at the facilities, financial backing, national profile, wins and losses, etc pre-and post-Spurrier at both schools there is no comparison

If you recall, you had Rex Enright's name painted on your stadium wall as your "winningest coach" with a total of 64 wins. Problem is, he had 69 losses. The difference and expectation levels are night and day

At the end at Carolina, he was simply burned out and tired. Remember, no one has ever coached in the SEC at his age. Bear Bryant died at 69, but looked more like Spurrier's father than someone comparable in age. I think Spurrier's rather youthful looks make us forget his age.

I follow the Gamecocks almost as closely as I do the Gators. Spurrier and Muschamp have made me a Gamecock fan. I root for you guys 11 Saturdays a year.

Both Florida and South Carolina fans should be thankful for Spurrier's time on those campuses. At both places, he laid a foundation and did the "heavy lifting" to set the schools up for relevancy and success into the future.

No Gamecock fans hate Spurrier...We are disgusted that he quit working for our program 2 yrs before he resigned....We love what he did for our program in general...But he should have stepped away immediately after the Citrus Bowl win over Wisconsin...He simply did not work for us after that

No Gamecock fans hate Spurrier...We are disgusted that he quit working for our program 2 yrs before he resigned....We love what he did for our program in general...But he should have stepped away immediately after the Citrus Bowl win over Wisconsin...He simply did not work for us after that

I disagree. There are plenty on here that do. They're probably the same ones that bash Muschamp, Martin, Staley and Tanner though.

Guys, this is not a flame, but with all due respect you guys who say you hate Spurrier need to let me know the next time you win 11 games in a season (much less 3 years in a row)

Again, this is not a flame. Before he came to Florida, our history was very similar to yours. If you look at the facilities, financial backing, national profile, wins and losses, etc pre-and post-Spurrier at both schools there is no comparison

If you recall, you had Rex Enright's name painted on your stadium wall as your "winningest coach" with a total of 64 wins. Problem is, he had 69 losses. The difference and expectation levels are night and day

At the end at Carolina, he was simply burned out and tired. Remember, no one has ever coached in the SEC at his age. Bear Bryant died at 69, but looked more like Spurrier's father than someone comparable in age. I think Spurrier's rather youthful looks make us forget his age.

I follow the Gamecocks almost as closely as I do the Gators. Spurrier and Muschamp have made me a Gamecock fan. I root for you guys 11 Saturdays a year.

Both Florida and South Carolina fans should be thankful for Spurrier's time on those campuses. At both places, he laid a foundation and did the "heavy lifting" to set the schools up for relevancy and success into the future.

we appreciate what Spurrier did here, but he quit working 2 years before he left, and he left us in a mess we are still getting out of. He put his son in charge of recruiting which was a big mistake, nepotism seldom works.

He quit when things turned bad, and they turned bad because he quit recruiting. Bad hiring process, bad recruiting effort, nepotism, it all worked against Spurrier in the end and the frustration is this is not his program, he's the coach, well paid to do the best for the program which he stopped doing 2 years before he quit on the team, the fans, the school. He should have at least seen the season thru to the end.

Unlike a lot of folks, I don't think that Spurrier "quit" recruiting. I think his ill conceived remark about being here "another two or three years" hurt us more than anything. It put uncertainty in the minds of recruits, and our competition used it against us. It was inevitable that his age was going to hurt recruiting at some point. Best coach we've ever had, and he brought us the most success we've ever had. Not many coaches know exactly when it's the right time to step down, so I'm not going to judge him too harshly for bailing when he did.

we appreciate what Spurrier did here, but he quit working 2 years before he left, and he left us in a mess we are still getting out of. He put his son in charge of recruiting which was a big mistake, nepotism seldom works.

He quit when things turned bad, and they turned bad because he quit recruiting. Bad hiring process, bad recruiting effort, nepotism, it all worked against Spurrier in the end and the frustration is this is not his program, he's the coach, well paid to do the best for the program which he stopped doing 2 years before he quit on the team, the fans, the school. He should have at least seen the season thru to the end.
Kind of like if the captain of the Titanic had flown off the bridge in a helicopter.

Well stated Lawcalcock !!!

Sure, UF fans wouldn't understand. As mentioned above, he didn't quit on y'all 2-3yrs before he stopped drawing a paycheck. His last season with UF was a 10-2 season - At USC, he left us with 3-9 (and yeah, I lay those 9 Ls at his feet).

He took us to our highest of highs, - and for that he deserves credit - and left us with our near lowest of lows (the impact of which is exacerbated by the fact that we had *just* experienced those highs). I don't "hate" him - I don't hate anyone. There is certainly no love lost though for the way he left us.

Don't come in here and tell some of us how to feel about SOS. UF fans can't understand how some - not all - Gamecock fans feel.

Personally I think Spurrier was the greatest thing that ever happened to us . If not for him this program would have been the same dumpster fire it has been the last 100 years . No matter what the haters say about him , he had the best run in school history and in my opinion it will never happen again . He made a totally irrelevant team successful . Before Spurrier we penciled in every UGA, UF, Tenn, and Clemson game as an L every year . He changed that forever and up until he walked away every other coach in America feared playing us for one reason only , The Ole Ball Coach was on the other sideline . Did he quit on his team and staff ?? Yes he did , but they quit on him way before that . He wanted to leave the year before but Tanner Begged him to stay . The man was 70 years old ... he could have hung on and coasted for the next 7 years like Bowden and Paterno but he didn’t . He could have gone 7-6 until he was 80 and we never would have fired him and he knew that . The greatest testimony for Spurrier is this .... we get upset now if we finish 7-6 or .500 . For 100 years 7-6 was a “Banner Year” for us . People can hate him but without him we are Kentucky or Vandy .

There were plenty of Spurrier bashing by Florida fans when he decided not to come back to Florida because they were going to make him interview for the job.

It's the way he left is what left everyone with a bad taste on their mouths. He even promised to continue to be a part of the university as an ambassador for football. Then 6-9 months later he quits that and takes the same position with Florida.

Do you still hold a grudge for Meyer? Because that's a very similar scenario.

I agree with this post of all so far on this subject (altho I didn't have as much of a problem with him leaving before year's end - I don't think that mattered at the time except it made HIM look like he bailed once he saw he wasn't going to overcome what had happened)! Like ALL of us agree, what Spurrier did for us was greatly appreciated & thoroughtly enjoyed - what was there NOT to like? When he actually quit working "on the job" a couple of years prior to his actually resigning AND "saying" he might be leaving in a year or so (or similar) definitely hurt our recruiting as he turned the program over to his son (HIS choice - NOT ours) and tore down what he was building. We were on the verge of consistent competition in the SEC at the top of the ratings and he let go of it! THAT'S what so many of us resent & dislike about him! He left us an empty cupboard (should've been supervising his program better) and brought us back to square one rather than leave us a solid program we "almost" had! Don't know why as many love so much as do now - he should be grateful IMO - he really left us in a mess! I LOVE the Muschamp hire because he WANTS to be here & appreciates this opportunity! Supporting him all the way!

Spurrier and staff quit on recruiting the last few seasons-as evidenced by what Muschamp was left with and is still digging his way out of. That said, I'm grateful for what we accomplished under Spurrier as well.

Taken as a whole, Spurrier's time here is Hall of Fame worthy. I'm not gonna hold the last two years against the man.

Few people know ahead of time when the right time is to step away from something, and I believe in my bones everything Spurrier did he did out a sense it was the right thing at the time for Carolina - - and that includes resigning when he did.

Those 33 wins in 3 years were nice but costly.Matter of fact,we are still paying for them.Im not sure those 3 seasons were worth the hole his laziness and selfishness has put the program in.Gonna take more than 3 seasons to get out of it for sure

Reactions: taxcock
Many "fans" define their life by how well their ego is stroked by the athletic success of some 18 to 20 year old kids and those that are in charge of these kids. Its a poor substitute for a real life.

Reactions: 01fatboy

Are most gators huge Urban Meyers fans? Rhetorical question!

Reactions: Godfather4CU
There were plenty of Spurrier bashing by Florida fans when he decided not to come back to Florida because they were going to make him interview for the job.

It's the way he left is what left everyone with a bad taste on their mouths. He even promised to continue to be a part of the university as an ambassador for football. Then 6-9 months later he quits that and takes the same position with Florida.

Do you still hold a grudge for Meyer? Because that's a very similar scenario.
I never held a grudge with Meyer, but I know many did. Meyer should have quit the first time after the 2009 season...he just hung around and we started a downward spiral in 2010...when you hire people like Meyer and Saban you have to understand that they are mercenary-like hired guns who have no loyalty to anyone...

Unlike a lot of folks, I don't think that Spurrier "quit" recruiting. I think his ill conceived remark about being here "another two or three years" hurt us more than anything. It put uncertainty in the minds of recruits, and our competition used it against us. It was inevitable that his age was going to hurt recruiting at some point. Best coach we've ever had, and he brought us the most success we've ever had. Not many coaches know exactly when it's the right time to step down, so I'm not going to judge him too harshly for bailing when he did.
A more apt description is that he put Junior in charge of recruiting and we began using actual star ratings as evaluations instead of watching film and it bit us, it bit us big time.

I never held a grudge with Meyer, but I know many did. Meyer should have quit the first time after the 2009 season...he just hung around and we started a downward spiral in 2010...when you hire people like Meyer and Saban you have to understand that they are mercenary-like hired guns who have no loyalty to anyone...
So how is that any different about Spurrier?

I don't hold a grudge with Spurrier but I don't have a single problem with people that do.

It appears Spurrier doesn't even have 1% loyalty toward us even though we paid he and his namesake son for 11 seasons probably close to $50 Million. Last week on the radio, he said he was 100% Gator even though we still have players he recruited.

He's also supporting our rival Clemson and taking Dabo to his college football HOF ceremony in December which will be excellent media exposure for Clemson.

Seems he would be more appreciative of South Carolina for giving him an opportunity to rebuild his coaching legacy after failing miserably in the NFL.

It is what it is....Thankful for the success he had here but wish he would show more appreciation for the opportunity the University provided to him and the employment to him and his sons.

You just have to understand that we have more passionate fans than any school in the country. No matter how much logic and common sense says otherwise, some folks' entire lives are controlled by emotions and hurt feelings. More than a few of us do agree that Spurrier stepping down after experiencing burnout helped, more than hurt, our program in the long run, but a lot of folks on here will despise SOS forever because of the way he left. By the way, a lot of these same Gamecock fans who denigrate Spurrier think that Will Muschamp is the second coming of Vince Lombardi, and vehemently defend him against any credible criticism.

For all those that say Spurrier quit recruiting ... our current class is the lowest ranked class in nearly a decade ..... has Muschamp “Quit recruiting”?? Oh course not . Every class Spurrier signed was top 20 or better so not sure were this comes from . A lot of those players were busts or Never developed but don’t buy the “Quit recruiting “ argument . Maybe “Quit Motivating” would be more accurate.

Reactions: GATORBOWDEN

Nobody around here hates Spurrier but he quit his job as far as recruiting 2 years before he left and when he saw he was gonna have a losing season, he bailed out. Kinda like Meyer did at UF, he knew they would be a drop off after Tebow left so he quit due to health reasons but is alive and well now.

For all those that say Spurrier quit recruiting ... our current class is the lowest ranked class in nearly a decade ..... has Muschamp “Quit recruiting”?? Oh course not . Every class Spurrier signed was top 20 or better so not sure were this comes from . A lot of those players were busts or Never developed but don’t buy the “Quit recruiting “ argument . Maybe “Quit Motivating” would be more accurate.
That damn class where we had 9 decommits because of his statement wasn't a top 20 class but to alot of ya'll think he did nothing wrong. He even apologized a few weeks ago on channel 10 news for leaving us the way he did so he admitted it and i respect him for doing that.

Reactions: mUSCle Gamecock
How much loyalty does UF to coaches that struggle winning? Let me help you. Very little! You expect coaches to have loyalty to the university when they are winning? Works both ways.

Recruiting class rank should be evaluated two years after players are in the program. Muschamp's class two years ago wasn't ranked terribly high but I'll take that class over several of SOS's higher ranked classes.

That damn class where we had 9 decommits because of his statement wasn't a top 20 class but to alot of ya'll think he did nothing wrong. He even apologized a few weeks ago on channel 10 news for leaving us the way he did so he admitted it and i respect him for doing that.

Actually your wrong . That class was a top 10 class before he made those statements . Was supposed to be one of the best classes in his tenure . Yeah that sucked but in hindsight , if your kid was Commited to a school would you rather the coach give it to you straight or lie just to make him sign and still leave a year later . When you hire older coaches like Lou and Spurrier this is inevitable. I can’t remember the school , but one Big 12 school this year fired a coach and staff the day after signing day and the recruits and families were livid and I would be to .

i agree with you wholeheartedly....hell the job the coaching staff we have in place has exceeded expectations and we have a few that bash them....our dc was getting bashed earlier ,now it is roper and we are still below most everyone in the sec as far as talent goes.....we have some fans that think those 3 11 win seasons should be the norm now....im a gamecock thru and thru but it is so aggravating to see the bashing we have on here....of course, their first response is well i guess you are satisfied with mediocrity...and that couldnt be further from the truth....and they think they are the knowledgeable ones on here....kinda reminds me of how all the liberals are crying every day about something they know nothing about....its difficult to be associated with that tbh.....honestly, it doesnt matter how succesful we are, some on here will find something to cry about....its just their nature and i really do try to just ignore the bs but im pretty hardheaded i guess

Many "fans" define their life by how well their ego is stroked by the athletic success of some 18 to 20 year old kids and those that are in charge of these kids. Its a poor substitute for a real life.
i think you hit the nail on the head for a few on here

Reactions: myrtlecock
I think some of the blame lies on the AD. Spurrier was ready to go out after winning the last bowl and Tanner begged him to stay. We made the same mistake with Holtz. Spurrier could have gone out a winner and the new coach search could have avoided the black cloud that was hanging over the program. It was a lose/lose on many levels. I think Muschamp will work out well, but there was no pressing reason the program had to crash to 3-9 like it did.

I think some of the blame lies on the AD. Spurrier was ready to go out after winning the last bowl and Tanner begged him to stay. We made the same mistake with Holtz. Spurrier could have gone out a winner and the new coach search could have avoided the black cloud that was hanging over the program. It was a lose/lose on many levels. I think Muschamp will work out well, but there was no pressing reason the program had to crash to 3-9 like it did.
Please stop! Please tell me you are smarter than that?

Reactions: goldengamecock
Thanks for the words gator. Ironically I've lived in Gainesville for 18 years now. But I am a huge Gamecock. And I had to live in Gainesville the entire time Spurrier was my coach. I hated him when he was a gator. But I love him now. Gamecock fans that say they don't like him now and say he quit on us are just bitter because we didn't win any major championships and it didn't go on forever. Just like Gator fans are bitter because success doesn't last forever. The only mistakes Spurrier made was being honest when he was asked how much longer he would coach. At that point we could no longer recruit. Because the other schools recruited negatively against us. Sure he was tired. Maybe not working quite as hard. But I still love the guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: GATORBOWDEN
Thanks for the words gator. Ironically I've lived in Gainesville for 18 years now. But I am a huge Gamecock. And I had to live in Gainesville the entire time Spurrier was my coach. I hated him when he was a gator. But I love him now. Gamecock fans that say they don't like him now and say he quit on us are just bitter because we didn't win any major championships and it didn't go on forever. Just like Gator fans are bitter because success doesn't last forever. The only mistakes Spurrier made was being honest when he was asked how much longer he would coach. At that point we could no longer recruit. Because the other schools recruited negatively against us. Sure he was tired. Maybe not working quite as hard. But I still love the guy.

^^This.

Reactions: myrtlecock
Look on the bright side, would you want to be coach shopping this year instead of last?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT