ADVERTISEMENT

I just saw part of a college football show on ESPN2. The commentator was

That's my point, I would think you would want to showcase your plans so everyone would know about and be interested in it. Not just show it to the recruits you are interested in. It might catch the attention of a recruit in Texas who would otherwise not know anything about the football program. Just like Clemson, they started selling their facility design and plans to recruits...maybe that helped land a few knowing the facility would be ready for use by the Jr /Sr year. I think SC is dropping the ball here. Don't get me wrong, it will be nice and state of the art, but it sounds like it is going to be all business...a place to lift weights, watch film, eat and practice. Do you work and leave. The little extras like a slide, bowling alley, putt putt, game rooms, movie theatre, etc. creates an environment the player wants to be in long after the work is done. And if they are building team relationships in that facility 24/7, then they are not out getting in trouble.

Agree with you on the second part. It does seem to be all business and they will sell it that way, while Clemson sells it as a family and actively want the players to stay there and not get into trouble. in line with this, I am just waiting on someone to hit Carolina with the PD live "Columbia is dangerous" attack. "They will
Send your boys out into that city while we will love on them here in our cult"

Last edited:
Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Pretty sure that Muschamp said he wanted ours to convey a messsge of work and business, not a theme park, or something along those lines.
As long as the quality is there, I'm all for distinguishing ourselves with a "business" approach vs. a theme park approach. Not every college athlete is looking for the same thing, so some will, no doubt, choose fun and games over business. But plenty will choose business.

But the quality has to be there. You'd better not skimp and end up with 2nd rate facilities that you try to write off by saying it's a "business" approach. Athletes that go to Clemson may be dumb, but they aren't so dumb that they can't see through that.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Pretty sure that Muschamp said he wanted ours to convey a messsge of work and business, not a theme park, or something along those lines.

Well, that is well and good but at least have as nice of facilities as your competitors.

I'm sure the new ops building will help them win 8 games this year.

This year is not what we are talking about, or at least it's not what I'm talking about. It's the years down the road that the new ops building along with winning that will hopefully bring in better recruits.

Our buildings are all prettier than theirs already. That campus seriously has zero appeal.

But are our buildings that are prettier than theirs be the buildings the players spend most of their time?

Last edited:
A UGA fan on Dawgchat asked ' What's the Clemson campus like?' The reply from a long-time Dawg fan was as follows: 'It's REALLY a remote place - not a college town - just a college in the woods mostly. The buildings are very plain, functional, without a campus 'look' except for the brick building with a clock tower (Tillman Hall), and it looks more like a cotton mill than a college administration building. You'll crawl back to Athens and kiss The Arch!'

What's the Arch, just for curiosity.

As long as the quality is there, I'm all for distinguishing ourselves with a "business" approach vs. a theme park approach. Not every college athlete is looking for the same thing, so some will, no doubt, choose fun and games over business. But plenty will choose business.

But the quality has to be there. You'd better not skimp and end up with 2nd rate facilities that you try to write off by saying it's a "business" approach. Athletes that go to Clemson may be dumb, but they aren't so dumb that they can't see through that.

The sad part is the quempsum building is recognized as the best or one of the best in all of college football, as stated by the commentator.

What's the Arch, just for curiosity.
http://www.uga.edu/profile/arch/
866299abcb4252fb1941ef22754e24c4.jpg

Been there once. Pretty campus at UGA.

The sad part is the quempsum building is recognized as the best or one of the best in all of college football, as stated by the commentator.

Look at you. Always doing good work for Clemson. You just can't help spreading the news about things that they are supposedly doing well.

Reactions: DC-99
interviewing dabo and the commentator said I have been to a lot of campus' and saw a lot of nice football buildings. And the first thing they tell me is we have a nice football facility but it's not quempsum nice. Anyway, they showed the quempsum football building and it is out of this world.

From what I've heard ours is very pedestrian, and if that is the case, we are already behind the 8 ball when it comes to recruiting.

If you drive through campus, you will know nothing that has been newly constructed is pedestrian.

Clemson's football building is nicer than their colleges. The nicest buildings on their campus will be Dabo's football building and Newspring Church's newly built campus.

Lets not forget. The town of Clemson has nothing in the way of entertainment for college kids except cheap bars and a movie theater. Dabo has to furnish bells and whistles because of this. Dabo cannot compete with the city of Columbia and the surrounding area. The University is outgrowing tater tech by leaps and bounds in all the areas where it really matters and this growth will benefit all athletics much more than a putt putt course and a sliding board.
Yes, but a Clemson football player would own the town of Clemson. In high school these kids are adored like celebrities. Clemson allows them to extend their high school glory in a concentrated environment. When it comes down to it players benefit from the advantages with females on campus. Their God complex can be carried on in college. Why put any effort when your every whim is served on a silver platter.

If I were young again and good enough to play, I wouldn't be making my decision based on buildings and amenities. It be about these factors: 1. Whether of not I was a fan of the school/conference; 2. Whether of not I believed in the coaching staff; and/or 3. Whether of not I thought I had a good chance at lots of playing time. The buildings and amenities would truly not be a factor. I'm pretty sure they all have A/C and heat, and working showers. Seriously folks, what kind of entitled wimps are we raising our sons to be these days?

Reactions: Proudcock
I was talking to an ex Ohio State player and current Buckeye booster and he said that OSU was building a nice football facility. When we discussed Clemson's, he said, "Well lets be realistic here, whiffle ball games, putt putt courses, bowling alleys and sliding boards are nice recruiting features for Mom and Dad to see on the visit, but players will never spend any time there for recreation. They care about two things and are going to go where they can get it when they aren't practicing and that is pot and p#**y."

And OSU folks wonder HOW IN THE WORLD little ole Clemson has kicked that ass multiple times. There’s your answer right there. That’s not smack talk, that’s actually from a former player/booster.

Clemson doesn’t need to talk smack about USC’s football facilities, Our man Ray Tanner (and your Athletic director) has already done it for us saying that it wouldn’t have the bells and whistles of other places (obviously referring to Clemson), but would be fine. AT THE GROUND BREAKING NO LESS. I guess that Spurrier telling everyone he was about to retire was worse, but not by much.

And this is sort of mean, but probably needs to be said. Football comes in cycles. One team will be up for a while, then they’ll fall down and another team will rise. Just a few years ago, USC had all the advantages… talent, facilities, coaching, SEC brand, and SEC cash. But for whatever reason, that advantage has been lost (except the cash I guess). Clemson’s football program has surpassed USC’s by every metric that matters and RIGHT NOW, USC is in Clemson’s rearview mirror just trying to catch up.

Bama is who we are chasing right now… trying to get to that elite level where you simply reload from your bench of studs every year. IMHO, we are not there and I think that most reasonable fans would agree. But we are closing that gap and have showed that Bama can’t simply show up and push Clemson around like they do almost every program in college football.

Bama has a freaking WATERFALL in their player’s facility. Crusty old no nonsense Nick Saban believes in this sort of thing, so I feel pretty good about Clemson going in this direction as well.

Clemson doesn’t need to talk smack about USC’s football facilities, Our man Ray Tanner (and your Athletic director) has already done it for us saying that it wouldn’t have the bells and whistles of other places (obviously referring to Clemson), but would be fine. AT THE GROUND BREAKING NO LESS. I guess that Spurrier telling everyone he was about to retire was worse, but not by much.

And this is sort of mean, but probably needs to be said. Football comes in cycles. One team will be up for a while, then they’ll fall down and another team will rise. Just a few years ago, USC had all the advantages… talent, facilities, coaching, SEC brand, and SEC cash. But for whatever reason, that advantage has been lost (except the cash I guess). Clemson’s football program has surpassed USC’s by every metric that matters and RIGHT NOW, USC is in Clemson’s rearview mirror just trying to catch up.

Bama is who we are chasing right now… trying to get to that elite level where you simply reload from your bench of studs every year. IMHO, we are not there and I think that most reasonable fans would agree. But we are closing that gap and have showed that Bama can’t simply show up and push Clemson around like they do almost every program in college football.

Bama has a freaking WATERFALL in their player’s facility. Crusty old no nonsense Nick Saban believes in this sort of thing, so I feel pretty good about Clemson going in this direction as well.
If Clempson can pull off the success they've had the last two years another 2-3 years... then I'll agree with you.

There's still a massive massive massive gap when comparing Clempson and Alabama. Alabama has been doing it for 10 years now without much of a hiccup. Clempson has only been doing it for 2. If anything, Clempson is closing the gap on teams like Florida State, Florida, and LSU.

Reactions: hopefultiger16
If I were young again and good enough to play, I wouldn't be making my decision based on buildings and amenities. It be about these factors: 1. Whether of not I was a fan of the school/conference; 2. Whether of not I believed in the coaching staff; and/or 3. Whether of not I thought I had a good chance at lots of playing time. The buildings and amenities would truly not be a factor. I'm pretty sure they all have A/C and heat, and working showers. Seriously folks, what kind of entitled wimps are we raising our sons to be these days?

Your idea is more in-line with an adults approach (same as mine) to choosing a school/football program and not through the eyes of an 18 year old kid.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT