ADVERTISEMENT

I thought you might like to own up to...

HI Cock

Oct 14, 2012
Some things you said in December that you don't (necessarily) believe now.

I'll go on record saying that I truly did not think the basketball team could win a single game in the SEC.

I do believe that FM can coach. And I will stick by my idea that if Martin cannot keep this team together in the offseason and make it at least into the "last 4 out" of the NCAA next year, it's time to move on. Until he can recruit decently again (he did convince Sin to come here), we are destined to less-than-mediocrity.

So “ decently “ as in lawson who is one of the top freshman in the SEC
Moss who was our starting PG before injury and looking really good
Bryant who has been a major impact freshman with a lot of potentially
Couisnard who has not played but was thought to be the best if the freshmen
Plus Fink shows potential to get better each year

You mean this type of “ recruiting decently “???

In other words, you're one of the multiple idiots on this board who love the term "mediocity" and jump at every chance to bash our program/players/coaches but now see that we do have some really good players who are doing everything they can to win while you sit at your keyboard and bash every mistake and capitalize on every negative that you can come up with and now you want to try to back out of that position now that you see some positives in our program. Does that about sum it up?

Reactions: CCGC34 and Bclc829
I certainly did not expect the team to win 8 SEC games.

Gotta make the tournament either this year or next year, or it will be time to move on. I will admit I had given up on Frank in December, but the progress we've seen since starting the SEC schedule gives me reason to believe next year could be successful.

Last edited:
In other words, you're one of the multiple idiots on this board who love the term "mediocity" and jump at every chance to bash our program/players/coaches but now see that we do have some really good players who are doing everything they can to win while you sit at your keyboard and bash every mistake and capitalize on every negative that you can come up with and now you want to try to back out of that position now that you see some positives in our program. Does that about sum it up?
So in December you were saying, "Yeah, wait til SEC season comes. We'll show 'em then."

And no, I do not nor do I ever "sit at my keyboard and bash every mistake and capitalize on every negative." I simply expressed an opinion that it didn't look like we could win an SEC game because we stunk then. Perhaps you thought differently after a 5-7 start. That's how it seemed then and that's how many if not most fans felt at that point - which was the purpose of my post: how much better we feel now than we did then.

But by all means let just jump in and "bash" anyone who felt differently in December than they do now. Cool.

I also think FM has a way to go to make sure he's the coach here for the future - unless you're someone who thinks winning frequently isn't important.

Yeah, I guess I'm one of the fools who's happy every time the Gamecocks take the court or field and pull for them to win. Every time we compete I think we can win. I know... it sucks to be optimistic and a fan and think we can win every time we play. If we win... Great! If we lose... better luck next time. I guess it's a matter of priority. Our teams are playing games. I hope we win. If not, we'll try again in a few days. Honestly, it's not the end of the world. I LOVE when the Gamecocks win but I don't go into meltdown every time we lose. Life is more important than that. Go ahead and freak out every time we lose a game. I've been there and it's a crappy way to live. GO COCKS! I hope we win! But if we lose, I'm not going to point fingers at a bunch of 18-21 year olds and say they suck. They're Gamecocks, just like me, and they're going to do their best to represent USC.

GO COCKS!

Shannon
USC '88

Gotta make the tournament either this year or next year, or it will be time to move on. I will admit I had given up on Frank in December, but the progress we've seen since starting the SEC schedule, gives me reason to believe next year will be successful.

I think he needs to beat quempsum next year, too.

I’m surprised at how we’ve performed in the conference. However it may be that the SEC is overrated. It is certainly top heavy. We’ve been blown off the court the 4 games against the Top 3 we’ve played, and lost to a 9-16 B12 team. I’m encouraged with our play recently, but still...our losses in November and December still killed this team. They are still part of this season.

While I have hope going forward, we still lose Silva and Gravett. Gravett is playing the best basketball of his life and Silva is our best player. I know the young guys will improve, but we don’t just automatically pick up where we left off losing those two guys.

Frank did well getting these guys to win games. I didn’t think we’d win this many SEC games but I said often we’d likely do better in conference than what we all predicted. I honestly thought that could’ve been 5 wins instead of 3. So yea, I am surprised. But at the same time...I won’t be happy missing the NCAA Tournament with a 13-5 SEC record. And I won’t be mad at the selection committee.

And it’s possible to pull like hell for SC every game but still be disappointed in their performances.

So “ decently “ as in lawson who is one of the top freshman in the SEC
Moss who was our starting PG before injury and looking really good
Bryant who has been a major impact freshman with a lot of potentially
Couisnard who has not played but was thought to be the best if the freshmen
Plus Fink shows potential to get better each year

You mean this type of “ recruiting decently “???
Don't take this as me bashing the player, but I'm not sure what you mean by this? Wouldn't ANY player show the "potential to get better each year?" I feel like you were really stretching to find something to say about this recruiting class. Yes, Lawson looks very good for a freshman. There is reason for optimism and excitement about Bryant. Moss and Couisnard are mostly just unknowns. Frink seems to work when he's in, but also seems over-matched. Part of being a freshman, I assume.
I'm glad you want to stick up for the program. I've always loved Frank's ability to teach kids how to play ball, but I haven't been impressed with how he's gone about building the team through recruiting. Too much in-state talent has left, too many kids who do come here have transferred. If this current crop of freshmen progress, and Frank brings in a solid group next year that can contribute he may finally be back on solid ground with his program.

It's true, you're the best fan ever. Thank you for everything you do for the team.

What's our record again?
Our SEC record is a lot better than a many posters felt it would be before SEC play started. I'm sure you piled onto that belief too. Anything negative is right down the strike zone for you.That's the point the op was making and he/she is correct. We have some quality players with more coming in next year.

Our SEC record is a lot better than a many posters felt it would be before SEC play started. I'm sure you piled onto that belief too. Anything negative is right down the strike zone for you.That's the point the op was making and he/she is correct. We have some quality players with more coming in next year.
That's what we always think. I figured that, after last year, we were certain to Dance this year. I considered it imperative. But the team we have isn't the team we thought we would have. And neither can anyone know today for certain what kind of team we will actually field next year.

Yeah, I guess I'm one of the fools who's happy every time the Gamecocks take the court or field and pull for them to win. Every time we compete I think we can win. I know... it sucks to be optimistic and a fan and think we can win every time we play. If we win... Great! If we lose... better luck next time. I guess it's a matter of priority. Our teams are playing games. I hope we win. If not, we'll try again in a few days. Honestly, it's not the end of the world. I LOVE when the Gamecocks win but I don't go into meltdown every time we lose. Life is more important than that. Go ahead and freak out every time we lose a game. I've been there and it's a crappy way to live. GO COCKS! I hope we win! But if we lose, I'm not going to point fingers at a bunch of 18-21 year olds and say they suck. They're Gamecocks, just like me, and they're going to do their best to represent USC.

GO COCKS!

Shannon
USC '88

I just don't see how you could logically be positive about the results we've gotten in any sport the past few years aside from the 2017 basketball run. I get not letting it affect your personal life, but we're on a board discussing Gamecock sports. And if you haven't noticed, Gamecock sports have shown nothing positive aside from the Final Four run since 2013.

Are there reasons for optimism in some areas? Sure. But we haven't gotten the results yet. I get not being constantly pessimistic, but logic just wouldn't warrant many warm and fuzzy feelings rabout our athletic program. I guess my point is, if you don't want any negativity in your life, don't even discuss Gamecock sports right now.

Edit- Outback Bowl win and Super Regional last year were good, but unfortunately have been overshadowed and not been quite enough to erase other, recent negatives.

Last edited:
To the OP-

Yes I'd like to own up to being wrong about our potential in SEC play. I was one of the negative nancies/pessimistic fools who thought losses to Wyoming, Stony Brook, Wofford, and Clemson meant we may not be very good. I should have known we'd turn it around and still have an outside shot at the tournament in mid-February.

I agree that we have to make tournament this year or next. Since this year looks to be a long shot, I think next year is almost a do or die. At that point you'd be looking at 1 tournament appearance in 8 years. Spinning wheels at that point.

Do I think that's possible? Sure. I like these freshman. If they stick together and Kotsar improves a bit, I think we have a shot to be pretty decent.

Reactions: HI Cock
And it’s possible to pull like hell for SC every game but still be disappointed in their performances.
Some folks get it.
I agree that we have to make tournament this year or next. Since this year looks to be a long shot, I think next year is almost a do or die. At that point you'd be looking at 1 tournament appearance in 8 years. Spinning wheels at that point.
I don't know if the tourney is possible next year without a true big man or Carrera-type guy underneath. Not sure if Leveque can grow up that quickly, but he's a 6'9 guy that could replace Silva.

It seems like if not this or next year, the following year will determine if we're coach hunting. Or if we have another BB-gun episode in the off-season.

Some folks get it.

I don't know if the tourney is possible next year without a true big man or Carrera-type guy underneath. Not sure if Leveque can grow up that quickly, but he's a 6'9 guy that could replace Silva.

It seems like if not this or next year, the following year will determine if we're coach hunting. Or if we have another BB-gun episode in the off-season.

Then there are some folks like you that still just do not get it
Or do you ?
Hard to say.
Cause that’s why many people have their own opinions

I felt on an island at times early in the season trying to point out our cold start didn't mean we had no shooters like others claimed. Must say I feel a little vindicated. Still got a lot of work to do on FTs tho. :confused:

It is funny that I see all these consistently negative posters in this thread and didn't see most of them peek their heads in the actual game thread. Guess it's more fun to blast negativity in an echo chamber than to dare cross the threshold into the realm of positivity and optimism. Have fun, folks.

I am not buying into all this, "we have to make the tournament either this year or next year BS." We are 2 years out of the Final Four. We are in a rebuilding situation. We make the tournament when we make the tournament. I mean, we are lucky we have a coach that can actually coach players up. Let's just take it year by year and a big picture view about it. All this talk about not wanting to be mediocre. YES we DO want to be mediocre for awhile. We need get out of the established badness into sustained mediocrity, then we can start talking about sustained success. Right now, I don't care much about the record or tournaments, I just care about the team playing uncrappy-good basketball.

That's what we always think. I figured that, after last year, we were certain to Dance this year. I considered it imperative. But the team we have isn't the team we thought we would have. And neither can anyone know today for certain what kind of team we will actually field next year.

You really thought this year was an NCAAT team? Wow I mean last year we over-achieved. I mean we expected to Minaya to be back but we lost a lot of production with Booker and Meyer leaving as well and Gravett was pretty bad last year. Way worse than he is this year.

I am not buying into all this, "we have to make the tournament either this year or next year BS." We are 2 years out of the Final Four. We are in a rebuilding situation. We make the tournament when we make the tournament. I mean, we are lucky we have a coach that can actually coach players up. Let's just take it year by year and a big picture view about it. All this talk about not wanting to be mediocre. YES we DO want to be mediocre for awhile. We need get out of the established badness into sustained mediocrity, then we can start talking about sustained success. Right now, I don't care much about the record or tournaments, I just care about the team playing uncrappy-good basketball.

Damn... we have 2 tournament appearances in the past 20 years. I want more than that. Sorry if that’s an unpopular opinion.

Gotta make the tournament either this year or next year, or it will be time to move on. I will admit I had given up on Frank in December, but the progress we've seen since starting the SEC schedule gives me reason to believe next year could be successful.
Or 9, or more

Damn... we have 2 tournament appearances in the past 20 years. I want more than that. Sorry if that’s an unpopular opinion.
It's the popular opinion unfortunately. And it sounds kind of like WAAHHHHHHH! I want us to go to but we don't go to the tournament often because of reasons. We don't have a winning tradition here. And to turn a losing culture into a winning tradition to make recruits want to come play here takes a long time. It's a long bump ride that takses a coach that knows the way and patience. I know many won't like to hear that, but let's not be the "are we there yet? are we there yet?!" backseat kids. Martin knows we need better players, he is getting us very good ones let him keep doing that for a while and just the team on the player and how they play. It's going to pay off eventually so there is no point to put a deadline on it and potentially pull a plug on something that is working right before that payoff happens.

You really thought this year was an NCAAT team? Wow I mean last year we over-achieved. I mean we expected to Minaya to be back but we lost a lot of production with Booker and Meyer leaving as well and Gravett was pretty bad last year. Way worse than he is this year.
Yes. I thought last year was so crappy, coming off a Final Four year, that we were bound to at least come back and Dance this year. I figured it would require a pretty poor program not to do that.

I didnt see them going .500 in Conference, os i will eat crow, This team is playing better, are they a tournament team, right now, NO, not even on the Bubble... I still feel that they have to win the SEC tourney to get in, But Run the table, or win Four out of five (At Starkville will be TOUGH) and then they will be considered a Bubble team IMO... Then maybe 1 win in SEC tourney would be enough, even at 19 wins...

giphy.gif

Yes. I thought last year was so crappy, coming off a Final Four year, that we were bound to at least come back and Dance this year. I figured it would require a pretty poor program not to do that.
I thought we'd bounce back from a weak start and have a nice run in conference but swoon down the stretch. That was our pattern in the past. Looks like this team is built different. I also never expected Lawson would be this good as a freshman. That Canuck can flat out play.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Admission of defeat? Okie Dokie. And here I just thought I always respond that way to the sanctimonious Super Fans, who are usually the same people who never give a dime to the university.
Ah, the ol’ red herring fallacy where you try to change the subject to something irrelevant to the original discussion once the aforementioned discussion goes south. Nicely done.

Last edited:
Reactions: king ward
No, I'm not trying to change the subject. I thought the team would bounce back from a bad start but not have enough quality wins to make the tournament. I still think that. I just tire of hearing the same old moralizing from people on this board that have no skin the game.

No, I'm not trying to change the subject. I thought the team would bounce back from a bad start but not have enough quality wins to make the tournament. I still think that. I just tire of hearing the same old moralizing from people on this board that have no skin the game.
Good to hear that on your first point. That refutes the original point made by another poster that youre a constant negative fan/team basher. So that discussion can end.

As for your second point, since we are discussing “skin in the game” now - you have no proof for your previous post. I’m referring the “usually the same people who never give a dime”. GamecockCentral doesn’t disclose Financial donations to the university per user, so how could you? That is just an assumption you’ve created and are trying to pass as fact so that it can help validate your ancillary point about “skin in the game”.

Good to hear that on your first point. That refutes the original point made by another poster that youre a constant negative fan/team basher. So that discussion can end.

As for your second point, since we are discussing “skin in the game” now - you have no proof for your previous post. I’m referring the “usually the same people who never give a dime”. GamecockCentral doesn’t disclose Financial donations to the university per user, so how could you? That is just an assumption you’ve created and are trying to pass as fact so that it can help validate your ancillary point about “skin in the game”.
It's true I don't know what if random people on a message board using handles like Ricky Rooster are actually members of the Gamecock Club. That's obvious. Perhaps most of them are big donors to school! But I doubt it. Is that enough ambiguity for you?

It's true I don't know what if random people on a message board using handles like Ricky Rooster are actually members of the Gamecock Club. That's obvious. Perhaps most of them are big donors to school! But I doubt it. Is that enough ambiguity for you?
Don't care about ambiguity, just care about you demeaning the opinions of other posters by using off-topic points about made-up financial assumptions.

Don't care about ambiguity, just care about you demeaning the opinions of other posters by using off-topic points about made-up financial assumptions.
Every time some dude posts something about fans being insufficiently loyal to the team and crowing about their fandom, I'm going to make fun of them. Every. Time. And I will continue to to believe that most of those people don't contribute to the athletic department. Those two things will not change. If you don't like it, cry harder.

Reactions: Athenscock1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT