ADVERTISEMENT

I thought you might like to own up to...

Every time some dude posts something about fans being insufficiently loyal to the team and crowing about their fandom, I'm going to make fun of them. Every. Time. And I will continue to to believe that most of those people don't contribute to the athletic department. Those two things will not change. If you don't like it, cry harder.
Didn't say I agreed with the poster's comments to whom you were replying. Just said that turning to sarcasm as opposed to refuting his point was a cop out.

I'm fine with you believing that most poeple in this board don't contribute to the Athletic Department. That's your opinion and, hell, you may even be right. But to pass it off as a fact just to dismiss other fans is wrong.

It is funny that I see all these consistently negative posters in this thread and didn't see most of them peek their heads in the actual game thread. Guess it's more fun to blast negativity in an echo chamber than to dare cross the threshold into the realm of positivity and optimism. Have fun, folks.

It’s always the same posters
A ball of fun they are. Oh they like to bash team then use excuse “ realistic “
They just can’t get over themselves

Reactions: Athenscock1
Yes. I thought last year was so crappy, coming off a Final Four year, that we were bound to at least come back and Dance this year. I figured it would require a pretty poor program not to do that.

Oregon didn't make the Dance either last year and they're 8th in the PAC-12 this year. (they were in the Final Four two years ago with us, for those who forgot).

They are a handful of elite programs in college basketball and then everyone else. If you want to say "rich programs" and "poor programs," then OK. That'll work too.

That's what we always think. I figured that, after last year, we were certain to Dance this year. I considered it imperative. But the team we have isn't the team we thought we would have. And neither can anyone know today for certain what kind of team we will actually field next year.
Is our SEC record better than many posters predicted before SEC play began? That was the thrust of the op.

Reactions: HI Cock
Is our SEC record better than many posters predicted before SEC play began? That was the thrust of the op.

Way better. I projected 3-5 wins I believe. Been fun to watch.

It's ok to admit that the team has exceeded expectations from the beginning of the year while also being upset that we floundered in non-con and likely cost ourselves a shot at the tournament.

Then there are some folks like you that still just do not get it
Or do you ?
Hard to say.
Cause that’s why many people have their own opinions
Get what? I get that it's OK to pull like heck for your team and still be disappointed if they lose. There's a big difference between being disappointed and letting it affect other aspects of life. Maybe you're the type that doesn't mind if we lose?

The point is that I (and many others) thought this team was dead in December, and that now is perhaps a good time to own those misguided opinions and move on in a much more optimistic mindset. That's what mature adults do - admit when they're wrong. If you thought we were well-positioned for SEC play at 5-7, then you have nothing to own. You should be gloating that you were proven right.

So you're still missing the point that this thread was not a pile on FM or the MBB team thread. Some folks are super sensitive about any thing that they perceive as criticism (snowflakes?) and immediately lash out without thinking. Plenty of examples of that in our society today.

Way better. I projected 3-5 wins I believe. Been fun to watch.

It's ok to admit that the team has exceeded expectations from the beginning of the year while also being upset that we floundered in non-con and likely cost ourselves a shot at the tournament.
Right now the loss to OK State is looking like the worst of them all. It came at a time when we had seemingly righted the ship after the head-scratchers early on.

WY loss was terrible but at least a bit more understandable. Laramie is at 7100 feet and I doubt many of our players could even tell you where Wyoming was on a map.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Get what? I get that it's OK to pull like heck for your team and still be disappointed if they lose. There's a big difference between being disappointed and letting it affect other aspects of life. Maybe you're the type that doesn't mind if we lose?

The point is that I (and many others) thought this team was dead in December, and that now is perhaps a good time to own those misguided opinions and move on in a much more optimistic mindset. That's what mature adults do - admit when they're wrong. If you thought we were well-positioned for SEC play at 5-7, then you have nothing to own. You should be gloating that you were proven right.

So you're still missing the point that this thread was not a pile on FM or the MBB team thread. Some folks are super sensitive about any thing that they perceive as criticism (snowflakes?) and immediately lash out without thinking. Plenty of examples of that in our society today.

Great post

Some folks get emotional and lump the critical ones in with the 'fire now' crowd. I think it's very reasonable that people were upset in December. I was not happy about our record. To me it's also upsetting that people scream 'fire, fire fire!!' Or completely denigrate the coach or the players who are young men. There are plenty of examples posted this season. What's more disturbing is I have seen others use our current run of good play to validate the vitriol toward the team and program. Something akin to 'well if we are this good now, why couldnt he coach them up sooner. So... fire!'

Obviously this thread is not 'that crowd.' It would be nice to objectively discuss our men's team without those from either end of the spectrum chiming in but I dont expect that on a free board.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT