ADVERTISEMENT

I typically have no interest in Winter Olympics, what

I watch it every time and have fun pulling for the underdogs. I don't care about the medal count except for those nations with fewer than 5 total medals.

I used to donate to the US team pretty well for many years when it was all amateurs. Far less when pros were allowed. Stopped donating when many athletes decided to use their positions as a platform to promote their own views... and worse, the committee tolerated it. I'll still watch at least some of it tho, because there are some who are proud to represent the country. That's a big deal to me and I wont let a few dbags ruin that. And for what it's worth, I do like the winter games more than summer.

I’ll pop it on once or twice…generally prefer the summer games but also less likely to watch TV on summer nights.

Reactions: BlueCord86
I love the winter Olympic a. I love snow and skiing. And I dream of what I could have maybe been able to do if I had grown up with snow out. My back door and skies on my feet.

I watched when I was a young kid (under 10). Haven't really since then, unless the wife wants to switch over. I read if that happens.

Reactions: martycat1
Curling yesterday was mesmerizing. Watching those 42 pound stones skim the ice. And the sweeping to move the stones.... breathtaking (insert sarcasm emoji). Although it was interesting that all curling stones came from one island in Scotland.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Hockey was exciting when it was amateurs. The Miracle on Ice was one of the great Olympic moments! Now that it's professionals, I just don't care. I usually pull against the USA when professionals are playing (Hockey and basketball jump to mind).

I enjoy the winter games more than the Summer, but I don't watch nearly as much as I have in the past!

Hockey was exciting when it was amateurs. The Miracle on Ice was one of the great Olympic moments! Now that it's professionals, I just don't care. I usually pull against the USA when professionals are playing (Hockey and basketball jump to mind).
Well, you're in luck this year! It's mostly amateurs.

Can I ask what politics are making people to outright boycott watching any of the sports?

When Team USA/USOC supports and advocates for American athletes using their platform in an event to represent America as an opportunity to bash America, I lose interest. True, most of the athletes are not in that category, but it sours me on the whole operation when the governing body puts its stamp of approval on it. As a kid it was exciting b/c there was genuine national pride everywhere. It was all about America. That aspect has been greatly diminished. I would rather not watch any events at all, than watch 100 and see 1 athlete kneel during the anthem or do something similarly childish and petulant.

Politics aside. It just isn't as interesting to me any longer. I liked the every 4 years format when I was a kid. It made the whole year exciting.

Hockey was exciting when it was amateurs. The Miracle on Ice was one of the great Olympic moments! Now that it's professionals, I just don't care. I usually pull against the USA when professionals are playing (Hockey and basketball jump to mind)
If USA wins hockey, it’s still a big upset. Most professionals are foreigners.

about you?

I watch it passively. I do like having it on in the evenings and enjoy some of the sports.

My wife and daughter and also like watching it in the evenings - passively for the most part. My other 2 - don't care about it at all.

We will probably just leave it on NBC for the next few weeks.

Let's see how badass these virtue signaling activist athletes are when they are in China. I bet the "We will not be silenced" crowd will stfu and kiss ass.

I'm watching just to see that.
I dont expect any of them will speak out against China. Speaking out against America on the other hand, yeah I could see that happening. What I'm going to find interesting is seeing what kind of endorsement deals those athletes going to get afterwards. And will companies be as willing to go there as they were for the summer games... or have they changed course.

American athletes using their platform in an event to represent America as an opportunity to bash America …. I would rather not watch any events at all, than watch 100 and see 1 athlete kneel during the anthem or do something similarly childish.
I haven’t seen any of that yet. If it happens, I’ll turn the channel. And some events I have no interest (to each his own interest) in watching - figure skating, moguls, cross-country skiing, half-pipe.

Let's see how badass these virtue signaling activist athletes are when they are in China. I bet the "We will not be silenced" crowd will stfu and kiss ass.

I'm watching just to see that.

I'm not watching for that. I haven't even thought of that. LOL

Seems you often find what you actively go looking for

I doubt that will happen because doing that is a no win situation and you could find yourself expelled from the country or held by Chinese authorities- which hurts you- or your teammates.

Can I ask what politics are making people to outright boycott watching any of the sports?

I have no idea.

I don't let someone's opinions cause me to avoid watching a show, sporting event, going to a store, etc. I'm not that sensitive. LOL.

In fact, I usually enjoy hearing their view, whether I agree with it or not.

I am reminded of Laura Ingraham on Fox News telling Lebron to "shut up and dribble" because "no one cares about the opinions of athletes" and then Laura explaining about how much she liked Drew Brees when he voiced his opinion about the national anthem because "everyone has a right to their view" - then she proceeded to play his comments on her show half a dozen times. (I thought she didn't care about the opinions of athletes)

The hypocrisy was a bit interesting.

I have no idea.

I don't let someone's opinions cause me to avoid watching a show, sporting event, going to a store, etc. I'm not that sensitive. LOL.

I am reminded of Laura Ingraham on Fox News telling Lebron to "shut up and dribble" because "no one cares about the opinions of athletes" and then Laura explaining about how much she liked Drew Brees when he voiced his opinion about the national anthem because "everyone has a right to their view" - then she proceeded to play his comments on her show half a dozen times. (I thought she didn't care about the opinions of athletes)

I think people like attention. People swore they would stop watching the NFL. They claim that's why they don't watch the NBA. Now, it's curling and biathlon. Maybe it's the product kind of sucks, but whatever.

I have no idea.

I agree on the hypocrisy. Just 4 days ago the morning show on MSNBC with the 2 idiots was calling for Joe Rogan to be canceled and everyone should pull out until he was gone, then 2 days later when Whoopi was given 2 weeks probation they said this cancel culture was out of hand and needed to stop.

Last edited:
I agree on the hypocrisy. Just 4 days ago the morning show on MSNBC with the 2 idiots was calling for Joe Rogan to be canceled and everyone should pull out until he was gone, then 2 days later when Whoopi was given 2 weeks probation they said this cancel culture was out of hand and needed to stop.

I can't stand hearing folks say they are going to boycott anything.

If they want to do it, do it. But why make a big show of it- when you can't be consistent? it makes no sense,

and cable news hosts on every channel ripping people that has voice an opinion- and praising someone else for being willing to give their opinion is the height of hypocrisy.

I am loving it. My TV has been on either NBC or USA constantly since Friday mornings opening ceremonies.

the only stuff I won’t watch is the fringing ice skating. I don’t care if it’s the free skate the limited or prisoner skate singles doubles or whatever. Not watching that trash that’s totally boring and biased scoring.
But anything else. Speed skating, downhill racing, snowboarding, cross country, luge. Bobsled. Skeleton. All that stuff is awesome.

I’d totally get into a bobsled. I think I’d try luge but prob wouldn’t. Definitely wouldn’t do skeleton.
Any of the downhill skiing I’d love to give it a go. Can’t ride a snowboard for shit.
Sneed skating and short track looks fun and terrifying.
If we had a local curling league I’d be all up in there. I’m cool with throwing stones. Lol. At glass houses. Lol. Jk.

I did notice during the opening ceremonies NOT ONE athletes pulled their mask down to talk smile selfie or anything else. Not one. They know they are not playing around with the virus and are following the rules to try and limit spread. Ahh, if only our country to take it so seriously.

Is there anywhere around here I can play some curling? This is awesome. And this Italian girl is hot!

Nah- not the same as it used to be. The athletes got all political, using the stage to peddle false political narratives and such…..

Last edited:
Reactions: cockofdawn
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT