ADVERTISEMENT

I typically have no interest in Winter Olympics, what

I really enjoyed watching last night. Tonight my wife and I are watching the coverage. In fact we watched all afternoon too.

Not many folks turned in. Lowest ratings of any Olympics opening ever.

It's growing.

ratings Sunday night were solid- leading all of prime time as the most watched program.

with all the options available now, it won't ever be like it use to be but I find it every enjoyable and much prefer it to anything else on tv right now.

I’ll watch the bobsled events regardless, but typically only watch other events that have some American contenders. Which is why I don’t watch as much winter as summer games. We aren’t really a winter sports nation.

I do feel like the Olympics is one of the big things from the past that suffer today from the internet and peoples’ ability to see anything anytime. It used to be a huge spectacle where you’d see all these athletes and cultures that you’ve never had any exposure to. It was fun. Now you have all the information about every athlete and every country at your fingertips every day of the year - not just on tv once every four years.

Also suffering from this: The Oscars (you can now see any celebrity at any time), Miss America Pageant (you can see a hot American girl at any time), pretty much any parade (parades are boring compared to anything on the internet). All these relics that were popular in the past are now suffering because what they’re selling is no longer scarce.

I personally wouldn’t mind if the Olympics ceased to exist. I can stand the face that mu normal programming gets paused for 2 weeks. I enjoy many shows on tv. I watch some events but it doesn’t get me moving.

The team snowboarding race last night was great. Gold for 2 Americans.

I've watched almost every minute of it in prime time this past week. I have to say I really enjoyed it.

Reactions: Gamekem
The team snowboarding race last night was great. Gold for 2 Americans.

I've watched almost every minute of it in prime time this past week. I have to say I really enjoyed it.
By far my favorite moment so far. A 40 year old who thought he would never win a medal and a 36 year old with the worst luck at the past 4 Olympics both coming together to get a gold medal.

Considering the abysmal TV ratings, I see less interest in the Olympics this year than any other that I remember. I think part of it is the China angle. Maybe that all know the Olympics are about as corrupt as any organization in the world. It almost seemed better back in the day where everything was tape delayed and shown in prime time instead of 50 different streaming options.

Considering the abysmal TV ratings, I see less interest in the Olympics this year than any other that I remember. I think part of it is the China angle. Maybe that all know the Olympics are about as corrupt as any organization in the world. It almost seemed better back in the day where everything was tape delayed and shown in prime time instead of 50 different streaming options.
Granted the right man won in the end, but that snowboard half pipe judging is proof that the Olympics is corrupt. I have been watching snowboard half pipe for a while. I agree 1000% with the announcer.

By far my favorite moment so far. A 40 year old who thought he would never win a medal and a 36 year old with the worst luck at the past 4 Olympics both coming together to get a gold medal.

The American who won in the speed skating 500 today was terrific.

Her teammate, who qualified at the US trials, gave up her spot for her because she slipped. Well, that paid off because she won.

Reactions: F-86F and Gamekem

Her teammate, who qualified at the US trials, gave up her spot for her because she slipped. Well, that paid off because she won.
Great sportsmanship there. And she didn’t need a bunch of judges. She just needed the clock.

Funny enough she would have qualified anyway due to other countries not qualifying enough qualifying times but a very classy move. What was really crazy about that story was that she first set foot on an ice rink in only 2016.

Funny enough she would have qualified anyway due to other countries not qualifying enough qualifying times but a very classy move. What was really crazy about that story was that she first set foot on an ice rink in only 2016.

Yep

I have really enjoyed the Olympics so far. I love watching the various snowboarding and skiing events. I can't do either at all but it's fun to watch.

Reactions: F-86F
I was flipping channels one night a week or so ago and I saw someone fall down. Don’t know if it was a man or woman but someone fell down for sure. Didn’t notice whether it was an Olympic channel or not but I did see someone fall. I continued to flip the stations and honestly can’t say if I watched the Olympics. I’m sure I saw someone fall down.

Disastrous ratings. Worst ever. Turns out, most Americans aren't interested in watching a bunch of National Broadcasting Commies spewing Chinese Commie propaganda.

Reactions: SparkleCity
Now that the Olympics are over, Joe Numbnuts finally decided to take action against Putin by putting sanctions of parts of the Ukraine. lol.

Any and all legitimacy of the Olympics was shattered by Eileen Gu. Born in America. Raised in America. Trained in America. Competed for China. Politics aside, the fact that you can just willy-nilly decide to represent another country is absurd. The Olympics is, first and foremost, about national pride. That is shot when you have athletes like Gu.

Reactions: F-86F
Any and all legitimacy of the Olympics was shattered by Eileen Gu. Born in America. Raised in America. Trained in America. Competed for China. Politics aside, the fact that you can just willy-nilly decide to represent another country is absurd. The Olympics is, first and foremost, about national pride. That is shot when you have athletes like Gu.
Russian skater situation as well.

This has been a thing for quite some time. The United States benefits from that as well. The monobob gold medalist is a Canadian who represented the US. At least Gu actually has a direct Chinese heritage. Some people switch countries with no ties to the country at all.

I intended on watching, never really did tho. Cant really point to a reason why. Just didnt... and that was a first. Must have lost interest without knowing I lost interest.

Her mom is Chinese. She had a choice. She spoke about this extensively. She is fluent in Chinese - like really fluent- with no hint of an American accent.

But also of course fluent in English. I think it made sense for her - which is all that really counts.

My wife and I really enjoyed the Olympics high ratings or not.

Her mom is Chinese. She had a choice. She spoke about this extensively. She is fluent in Chinese - like really fluent- with no hint of an American accent.

But also of course fluent in English. I think it made sense for her - which is all that really counts.

My wife and I really enjoyed the Olympics high ratings or not.

lol, so she speaks the language? So if all the American citizens who speak Spanish decide to compete for Spain, that makes sense to you? It was obviously a political move by Gu, maybe perpetrated by her mom. But, taking politics out of it and just looking at it from the sports angle, it's absurd.

This pretentious brat was born in America, raised in America and 100% fully trained in America WITH Team USA. Everything she has accomplished was afforded to her by living in this country. And she decides to go compete for someone else? Again, brat. Useless brat.

Reactions: Neanderthal
This has been a thing for quite some time. The United States benefits from that as well. The monobob gold medalist is a Canadian who represented the US. At least Gu actually has a direct Chinese heritage. Some people switch countries with no ties to the country at all.

Yes, and that totally delegitimizes the Olympics.

We all have a heritage to somewhere else, unless you're Native American.

lol, so she speaks the language? So if all the American citizens who speak Spanish decide to compete for Spain, that makes sense to you? It was obviously a political move by Gu, maybe perpetrated by her mom. But, taking politics out of it and just looking at it from the sports angle, it's absurd.

This pretentious brat was born in America, raised in America and 100% fully trained in America WITH Team USA. Everything she has accomplished was afforded to her by living in this country. And she decides to go compete for someone else? Again, brat. Useless brat.
Funny how you and right wing media managed to overlook the 3 U.S. white guys who played for the Chinese Hockey team. Geez. I wonder why?

Funny how you and right wing media managed to overlook the 3 U.S. white guys who played for the Chinese Hockey team. Geez. I wonder why?

I didn't overlook anything. As noted above, I didn't follow the Olympics all that closely. In actuality, your leftist media is to blame here. They are the ones who trumpeted Gu and largely ignored the hockey players. I didn't even follow the Olympics and I heard all about Gu. Your post is the first I'm even hearing about the hockey players. Why do you think your media chose to blow up the Gu story and not the hockey players so much?

A brief read on the hockey players shows they were mostly nobody, minor league guys who agreed to live in China for a few years. These weren't top-of-the-line Olympic talent who flipped sides. They were bottom-feeder guys whose only hope of playing in the Olympics was to flip to China, who was desperate for players to field their first ever Olympic hockey team. They needed to flip to China to make the games. Gu did not.

Don't get me wrong, I stand by my original statement above that this flip flopping to play for other nations makes the Olympics largely irrelevant. However, there is no comparison whatsoever between the hockey players and Gu. These guys at least lived in China for a few years and played/trained in China. Gu did not.

And, as noted above, there are many cases of the country flipping. I'm sure I'm not aware of most of them. Once you take national pride out of the equation, there's nothing special about the Olympics compared to any other international competition.

Gu was all over right wing media and was a talking point by numerous Republican politicians on "all" platforms. No comparison? Gu's mom is actually Chinese compared to 3 born in the US white guys one whose dad is a well known NHLer. But, hey let's overlook the 3 white guys because they're professionals but not current NHL quality players there aren't even NHL players in the Olympics meanwhile Gu wins 3 medals 2 gold and 1 silver.

Last edited:

She doesn't just speak the language. Her mom is Chinese. Her American father left the family when she was little. So her mom raised her and was a single parent.

She has competed for China since 2019. For almost her entire life she has spent part of the year (usually summers) in China with extended family.

The political "moves" seem to be by 100% by folks like you that whine about her decisions where most people understand it was her decision and don't pay it any attention.

As she has discussed numerous times, that her decision was difficult for her but she hoped by doing it would "help inspire millions of young people in China and to unite people, promote common understanding, create communication, and forge friendships between nations.

She doesn't just speak the language. Her mom is Chinese. Her American father left the family when she was little. So her mom raised her and was a single parent.

She has competed for China since 2019. For almost her entire life she has spent part of the year (usually summers) in China with extended family.

The political "moves" seem to be by 100% by folks like you that whine about her decisions where most people understand it was her decision and don't pay it any attention.

As she has discussed numerous times, that her decision was difficult for her but she hoped by doing it would "help inspire millions of young people in China and to unite people, promote common understanding, create communication, and forge friendships between nations.

I haven't made any political arguments.

Unless you have switched countries because of some type of persecution by your home country or you fled for your life, then you ought to compete for the country where you were born, raised and trained.

Again, my only point is that the country flip-flopping makes the Olympics no more meaningful than any other international competition.

It's a me-first generation, though, so it is what it is.

I haven't made any political arguments.

Unless you have switched countries because of some type of persecution by your home country or you fled for your life, then you ought to compete for the country where you were born, raised and trained.

Again, my only point is that the country flip-flopping makes the Olympics no more meaningful than any other international competition.

It's a me-first generation, though, so it is what it is.

That's fine if you think that. I don't see it that way. She clearly didn't see it that way either- and it was her choice to make.

In 2018, over 150 athletes competed for countries they weren't born in.

Reactions: Gamekem
That's fine if you think that. I don't see it that way. She clearly didn't see it that way either- and it was her choice to make.

In 2018, over 150 athletes competed for countries they weren't born in.

I found an older article with some of the same information as well. This has been going on since the modern Olympics has started, but the only reason this is news is because media outlets are trying to take advantage of a teenager to make this seem like a political narrative to get the kind of negative attention to get views as expressed in this thread.

Reactions: DeeDave
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT