ADVERTISEMENT

I want to eat crow so bad; Today was a good start

Bucs90

Sep 22, 2019
Everyone knows my opinion on past coaching hire but we are here and today was a great day!!

Reactions: turncock
Ole Miss finished 3ed in the portal rankings. We finished 11th. In high school rankings, looking at the average star rankings, Ole Miss finished 21st; we finished 13th.

The bottom line is that we helped ourselves a lot in recruiting.

Reactions: Crazy Cock 89
Check with me after the Clemson game, next year. Might have it figured out by then.
As for me, I will have a good idea this summer what to expect from us after I see what our opponents have. That being said, Beamer did a VERY good job in the Portal recruiting and in high school recruiting. And I say that as one who did not like him being hired.

Too many new faces to predict, add in the schedule and I don't think I would complain with six and six. Now 2025 is a different story, that's the year we need to take a step.

Kiffen is showing how it's done and is using the portal well, we would love to have one 10 win season under Beamer much less two, but Kiffen still hasn't proven he is elite with only 2 wins against P5 9 win teams, heck Beamer is close to that with one less season. IF Kiffen wins his bowl game it will be the first 11 win season for Ole Miss, pretty amazing. I say Florida comes after him with a big offer next year and if not him then they go after Drinkwitz.

Too many new faces to predict, add in the schedule and I don't think I would complain with six and six. Now 2025 is a different story, that's the year we need to take a step.

Kiffen is showing how it's done and is using the portal well, we would love to have one 10 win season under Beamer much less two, but Kiffen still hasn't proven he is elite with only 2 wins against P5 9 win teams, heck Beamer is close to that with one less season. IF Kiffen wins his bowl game it will be the first 11 win season for Ole Miss, pretty amazing. I say Florida comes after him with a big offer next year and if not him then they go after Drinkwitz.
We ain't seen that '25 schedule yet, and it might even involve an additional conference game. The SEC might be forced into it to enhance the TV money.

So goes life in the SEC! You can have very good recruiting classes and still be way down the list! I hope I'll see us winning 11 or more games again - I'm 71 so times running out! I would think that our '24 schedule would have to be in the top 5 - but honestly I'd rather play the BEST each year than play 8 or 9 clearly inferior teams! It's like playing golf, I've always enjoyed playing with better players who pushed me to get better. Here's wishing you ALL a MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY, SAFE New Year!!

Too early to tell. On paper we are still 8th or worse in our own conference. I'd be happier if I were Ole Miss. Kiffin is using the portal like a boss. Will it work? Not sure, but he is using the system wisely.
Waaaay too early to tell (or eat crow). Should at least wait until we play 1 or 2 games with the new blood.

Too early to tell. On paper we are still 8th or worse in our own conference. I'd be happier if I were Ole Miss. Kiffin is using the portal like a boss. Will it work? Not sure, but he is using the system wisely.
Yeah but the rankings include Texas and OU, so I see it as being 7th in the “old” SEC which is pretty good relative to our record.

Yeah but the rankings include Texas and OU, so I see it as being 7th in the “old” SEC which is pretty good relative to our record.
That should buy you bowl eligibility and little else. But that's our ceiling anyway unless we eventually get the Einstein of coaching while he's still young.

The problem is, we got three kid after August and the 2025 class isn't shaping up to have the same success.

Contracts must be adopted. The pros receive money along with an obligation to perform. Colleges will have to do the same and bowls are only one of the reasons. Contracts. Embrace them. Tout them. They are now college football's only hope.

Contracts must be adopted. The pros receive money along with an obligation to perform. Colleges will have to do the same and bowls are only one of the reasons. Contracts. Embrace them. Tout them. They are now college football's only hope.

Yep not even the NFL could survive with unlimited free agency.

This^^^ would solve the Transfer Portal Problem.

These would have to navigate anti-trust laws. Not sure that is possible.

So expectations should be higher next year?
Let me add this. There's no way for me to know what our opponents will have, what we will have, who will qualify, who gets kicked off, who has season-ending injuries etc. I have no crystal ball. I will know in August. That being said, Drinkwitz produced in his 4th season (this season) at Missouri. Kiffin produced in his 2nd season at Ole Miss and continued to produce into his 4th season (this season) there. Next season is Beamer's 4th season at SC. I will let you make the logical conclusion as to what I expect, not what I think will happen.....if that makes sense.

Reactions: Robhawk29
These would have to navigate anti-trust laws. Not sure that is possible.
If we can't return to the expectation of players finishing seasons, then college football might as well shut down. Otherwise, first the bowls will lose their value, then conference championship games will be undermined also. Eventually, some players will quit Nov. 1 to prepare for the draft.

Let me add this. There's no way for me to know what our opponents will have, what we will have, who will qualify, who gets kicked off, who has season-ending injuries etc. I have no crystal ball. I will know in August. That being said, Drinkwitz produced in his 4th season (this season) at Missouri. Kiffin produced in his 2nd season at Ole Miss and continued to produce into his 4th season (this season) there. Next season is Beamer's 4th season at SC. I will let you make the logical conclusion as to what I expect, not what I think will happen.....if that makes sense.

The problem is that Drink and Kiffin were proven coaches. Beamer's selling point was that he was going to put together an all-star staff and four years into we have a G5 coaching staff.

I think everyone knows that next year 6-6 is our best case scenario.

The problem is that Drink and Kiffin were proven coaches.
Hard to disagree with that. I know that Drink only had one year at App. State, and a great year at that. But they looked very well coached when he brought that team to WB. I know some will say he was on the "hot seat" coming into this season. I'm not so sure that he was as far as the AD there was concerned. I think he saw a heck of a good coach in Drink and gave him time. I also know for sure that he has owned us.

The problem is that Drink and Kiffin were proven coaches. Beamer's selling point was that he was going to put together an all-star staff and four years into we have a G5 coaching staff.

I think everyone knows that next year 6-6 is our best case scenario.
I will add this: The selling point for Beamer by those who pushed him to be hired was that he is some sort of super duper recruiter. Well, he is not bad at it. But he is not anything special at it, either. He is no better than what we have had before.

As far as staff is concerned: I am surprised he has not made changes. I think if he was going to make changes, he would have done so by now. To that I say: "Beamer, if you are going to stay the course with the staff you had going into 2023, you better be right".

By now, I hope you can see that I will praise when I can and criticize when warranted. I'm not "pollyannaish".

I believe you're mistaken on the recruiting, but I can't argue with the coaches! If you're going to roll with what you have there could be consequences.
Getting Rattler here was major, we have 8 UA All-American Bowl attendees this year, not sure we've ever come close to that. I feel like our transfer classes in have been above average (maybe not last year), but he has to find a way to keep valued starters and depth guys to stay with the program, I'm very disappointed in his retention of good players.

I believe you're mistaken on the recruiting,

Beamer got lucky that SC had a really strong high school class this year. Even with that, we pretty much ended up exactly where we finish every season. And Beamer has money to buy recruits which no other coach has been able to openly do in the past.

The recruiting acumen is largely overexaggerated and it sounds like we're going to need a miracle for the 2025 class to equal this one.

Reactions: gamecock stock
Rivals had our class at 17, 247 at 16 last year.

This year rivals has us at 30 and 247 has us at 20 this year.

I find the spread odd. But also the numbers rather low for the expectations of this class. In reality, it's right where we usually land according to 247, and lower than usual for rivals.

(We generally land in the high teens to low 20's on average)

I find the spread odd. But also the numbers rather low for the expectations of this class. In reality, it's right where we usually land according to 247, and lower than usual for rivals.

Yep, the elephant in the room is we signed 3 kids who committed after August 1st. The class started off extremely hot but faded during the season.

I question if we can ever recruit consistently at a high level enough to become nationally relevant. I hope Beamer can do "more with less" as Spurrier and Morrison did. The jury is still out on that "hope".

I question if we can ever recruit consistently at a high level enough to become nationally relevant. I hope Beamer can do "more with less" as Spurrier and Morrison did. The jury is still out on that "hope".

It definitely seems like we've adopted the strategy that we are going to recruit ourselves into greatness. I tend to think you have to coach yourself to recruiting greatness.

Gotta win first to show the kids they can win here. It's not just that Ole Miss has more money, it's that kids want to play for Kiffin.

It definitely seems like we've adopted the strategy that we are going to recruit ourselves into greatness. I tend to think you have to coach yourself to recruiting greatness.

Gotta win first to show the kids they can win here. It's not just that Ole Miss has more money, it's that kids want to play for Kiffin.
Whoever made the Beamer hire....Tanner, the BOT or a combination of both, did NOT study our history to see what kind of hires turned out to be successful hires. If they had, Beamer would not have gotten within 4 geographic states of the USC Head Coach's Office. Hopefully, Beamer will be the exception. But after concluding that it's unlikely he will make changes to the staff, I have become skeptical.

Kiffin is one heck of a good coach. I wish we had him.

Beamer got lucky that SC had a really strong high school class this year. Even with that, we pretty much ended up exactly where we finish every season. And Beamer has money to buy recruits which no other coach has been able to openly do in the past.

The recruiting acumen is largely overexaggerated and it sounds like we're going to need a miracle for the 2025 class to equal this one.
If one takes an objective look at Beamer's recruiting and compares it to Spurrier's and Muschamp's, there's not a whole lot of difference. It might even be worse. Those fans who pushed for Beamer to be hired, because he was a recruiting guru, got sold a bill of goods. They all pointed to what he did here as Recruiting Coordinator. I recall saying at the time that those players did not come here because of Beamer. They came here because of the allure of playing for Steve Spurrier.

If one takes an objective look at Beamer's recruiting and compares it to Spurrier's and Muschamp's, there's not a whole lot of difference. It might even be worse. Those fans who pushed for Beamer to be hired, because he was a recruiting guru, got sold a bill of goods. They all pointed to what he did here as Recruiting Coordinator. I recall saying at the time that those players did not come here because of Beamer. They came here because of the allure of playing for Steve Spurrier.
Seems I remember it differently, because our recruiting went to shinola when Jr. took over! At least Beamer did the legwork to set Steve up!

Seems I remember it differently, because our recruiting went to shinola when Jr. took over! At least Beamer did the legwork to set Steve up!
Not sure how much of it falls on Jr, but defensive recruiting around from around '12+ was a big brain fart. The DL/LB guys we brought in were noticeably slower than the elite players we had during the '11 season.
How so many 4* DL/LBs were too slow for the SEC still makes me shake my head.
You absolutely have to recruit speed if you want to compete in the SEC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT