ADVERTISEMENT

I wonder who people think of when they think of South

How much do you think test scores would rise if we pumped 2 BILLION into Orangeburg Wilkinson High School alone? Throwing more money at schools that are majority minority will not solve any problems, hiring better qualified teachers will not solve the problem, busing students in to more predominately whites schools will not solve the problem...

My question is to those who disagree with anything I've said, what will solve the problem?

Telling constituents they're failing at the most basic humaning is not a winning formula for politicians. Therefore, the problem isn't getting solved. That is one of the failings of a democracy. To get elected, one must tell people what they want to hear and avoid telling them what they need to hear.

Last edited:
South Carolina as in the State as a positive, they probably think of the beaches. As a negative it’s low ranking k-12 education.

If you mean South Carolina the University football team they think “mediocrity” with all the tools to succeed but horrible leadership holding it back.

How much do you think test scores would rise if we pumped 2 BILLION into Orangeburg Wilkinson High School alone? Throwing more money at schools that are majority minority will not solve any problems, hiring better qualified teachers will not solve the problem, busing students in to more predominately whites schools will not solve the problem...

My question is to those who disagree with anything I've said, what will solve the problem?

I have African American friends and co-workers who are high achieving people. There are more people like this coming every year but not enough as a percentage of the population. I think the Great Society Program of the 1960's ruined African American culture. These social programs helped destroy the nuclear family and lead directly to single mother households. This lead to children without a father in the home, this is not an ideal situation for any child but when it happens in a short period of time to a whole culture it is devastating. Poverty leads to crime, drug addiction, poor education, gangs and a lack of ambition, etc...

So after the 1970's, after schools were integrated, when school districts had to spend equally in all schools we saw some progress in Black education but they are still not achieving at the rate of white kids and are even behind the achievement level of many recent immigrant kids. I think the modern Black culture does not put an emphasis on education. The gang culture and the hip hop/rap culture seem to be more prominent. These cultures glorify drug dealing, theft, prostitution and being incarcerated is a badge of honor. Role models are entertainers and sports stars. A poor Black kid growing up in the hood likely does not have positive role models. The odds of them being a successful entertainer or sports star are very low. The odds that they will join a gang are pretty high.

In my experience, as a young platoon commander with a bunch of Marines from tough areas of LA, the best thing for these guys was to join the military and get out of that lifestyle. Many were able to get the discipline and structure that their upbringing lacked. With the GI Bill they were able to attend college and make a better life for themselves. If I could keep them from going home on the weekend and getting in trouble.

Black families were destroyed by white liberal dogooders.

Last edited:
I have African American friends and co-workers who are high achieving people. There are more people like this coming every year but not enough as a percentage of the population. I think the Great Society Program of the 1960's ruined African American culture. These social programs helped destroy the nuclear family and lead directly to single mother households. This lead to children without a father in the home, this is not an ideal situation for any child but when it happens in a short period of time to a whole culture it is devastating. Poverty leads to crime, drug addiction, poor education, gangs and a lack of ambition, etc...

So after the 1970's, after schools were integrated, when school districts had to spend equally in all schools we saw some progress in Black education but they are still not achieving at the rate of white kids and are even behind the achievement level of many recent immigrant kids. I think the modern Black culture does not put an emphasis on education. The gang culture and the hip hop/rap culture seem to be more prominent. These cultures glorify drug dealing, theft, prostitution and being incarcerated is a badge of honor. Role models are entertainers and sports stars. A poor Black kid growing up in the hood likely does not have positive role models. The odds of them being a successful entertainer or sports star are very low. The odds that they will join a gang are pretty high.

In my experience, as a young platoon commander with a bunch of Marines from tough areas of LA, the best thing for these guys was to join the military and get out of that lifestyle. Many were able to get the discipline and structure that their upbringing lacked. With the GI Bill they were able to attend college and make a better life for themselves. If I could keep them from going home on the weekend and getting in trouble.

Black families were destroyed by white liberal dogooders.

The military to college route could work wonders. Again, encourage them not to go back home due to enviroment. Thanks for sharing about something that has worked.

I have African American friends and co-workers who are high achieving people.

I think the modern Black culture does not put an emphasis on education.

This is why you are a racist.

You can literally see with your own two eyes that black people are not a homogeneous group--just like everyone they have individual levels of respect for education, and individual drives to achieve. Your friends are an example.

And yet you still, somehow, maintain that an entire "culture" (we know what you mean) does not put an emphasis on education. When this is demonstrably false, even in your own words.

There are more people like this coming every year but not enough as a percentage of the population. I think the Great Society Program of the 1960's ruined African American culture. These social programs helped destroy the nuclear family and lead directly to single mother households. This lead to children without a father in the home, this is not an ideal situation for any child but when it happens in a short period of time to a whole culture it is devastating. Poverty leads to crime, drug addiction, poor education, gangs and a lack of ambition, etc...

Right--it was social services... NOT: redline mortgage practices that created de facto segregation in cities and neighborhoods, WW2 vets coming home and the white ones getting vouchers for homes in suburbs while the black ones got vouchers for homes in the projects. Do you think maybe there are less fathers in the home because of mass incarceration of black people based on 1970s-80s drug laws that created a blue-collar and white-collar drug class system?

I agree with that. There certainly needs to be some personal responsibility. There are many factors involved and people are to afraid to address them because they fear being called racist. Case in point. We hear so much about police brutality and that certainly needs to be addressed. However we hear nothing about the culture that teaches kids they aren’t to respect authority. Since when did resisting arrest become ok?

However we hear nothing about the culture that teaches kids they aren’t to respect authority.

Yah, that's getting really out of control:

5969fca5-0205-428e-9821-78e50dc1f654-GTY_AFP_1QX44Z.jpg

I agree with that. There certainly needs to be some personal responsibility. There are many factors involved and people are to afraid to address them because they fear being called racist. Case in point. We hear so much about police brutality and that certainly needs to be addressed. However we hear nothing about the culture that teaches kids they aren’t to respect authority. Since when did resisting arrest become ok?
As I've said before on this board, my wife teaches. We were discussing this issue last night with our daughter. My wife said something I had never considered before. She has students who only get a good meal at school. She said when you're stuck in the cycle of getting your most basic needs met, or meeting those needs of your siblings, most cannot move beyond that to a level of higher thought. That kid's emphasis is totally on needs. This is, of course, a parenting failure. But it's also a failure of the state because it rewards counterproductive behavior.

Reactions: JoeBlow89
There isn’t a state in the union where at least 20% of the people you ask (or don’t) have nothing but crap to say about it.

But people tell the truth with their feet and wallets, and in that regard the Census Bureau indicates SC has gained the 8th most people since 2010 on a nominal basis and 6th on a proportional basis. I couldn’t find similar tourism revenue stats but there is no way we aren’t pretty close on a per capita basis.

You can literally see with your own two eyes that black people are not a homogeneous group--just like everyone they have individual levels of respect for education, and individual drives to achieve. Your friends are an example.

And yet you still, somehow, maintain that an entire "culture" (we know what you mean) does not put an emphasis on education. When this is demonstrably false, even in your own words.

Right--it was social services... NOT: redline mortgage practices that created de facto segregation in cities and neighborhoods, WW2 vets coming home and the white ones getting vouchers for homes in suburbs while the black ones got vouchers for homes in the projects. Do you think maybe there are less fathers in the home because of mass incarceration of black people based on 1970s-80s drug laws that created a blue-collar and white-collar drug class system?

Susie Wong and her parents came to America 6 years ago (2014) with only a couple of suitcases and 400 dollars to their name. None of the 3 spoke a word of English. Susie was technically in the 6th grade.

Mr Wong started working as a janitor at nite while Ms Wong sewd out of their 1 bedroom apartment in Greenville, SC. They saved enough for them to rent a store front that became a dry cleaners.

They had to save to get the money for the rent (of the building) and get started with minimal equipment. Ms Wong then went to work there also doing alterations and working the business til Susie got out of school. Susie worked the front counter after school. This would help her brush up on her English as well.

Her parents were extremely hard working. They worked well into the night to get all the clothes cleaned for the next day as there was only 3 of them to work the business...Susie worked til 1am and still did her homework/studies between pickups of laundry from clients in the afternoons and taking breaks after closing. Mr Wong slept from 2am-4am, then back up to the clearners for another day's grind. They worked 7 days per week at the time.

After 3 years of working non stop, the cleaners was a success and he opened another location downtown and employed minority workers. He was known to pay well, so to keep them coming back to work day after day.

Fast forward 3 years later, 2020, Mr/Ms Wong owns 4 dry cleaners and SUSIE, is graduating high school with high honors, scoring a perfect score on the ACT. She has been accepted to Harvard University.

How did this happen? How did people with so LITTLE, get so far? With no government money to help, speaking no English, no worker help initially....How does this happen?

and how does Susie in 6 short years, go from speaking no English to scoring a perfect score on the ACT? then get accepted to Harvard?

Susie did this with little tutoring. Her parents to this day can only speak broken English. Geesh!!!!

Last edited:

The stats do not lie, most do not put an emphasis on education. They are not stupid people, education is just not important to most of them here in ATL. But they are currently attacking the CNN HQ so maybe they are getting smarter?

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law...lls-out-cops-involved/JQWwQosjV3KszlbEengCAL/

Do you know some Klansmen? I don't know a single one and I've lived here a half century.

Correct. I travel all over for work and i can tell you there is more racism in a lot of places than there is here in SC. I can throw out a few places that you likely would not think.... #1 being Indiana which i believe is the birthplace of the klan.
The stereotypical view of SC is just not true. We should be proud of that and stop being apologetic for a falsehood and quit letting this untrue perception hold us back.

Correct. I travel all over for work and i can tell you there is more racism in a lot of places than there is here in SC. I can throw out a few places that you likely would not think.... #1 being Indiana which i believe is the birthplace of the klan.
The stereotypical view of the south is just not true. We should be proud of that and stop being apologetic for a falsehood and quit letting this untrue perception hold us back.
Very true.

And by the same token, i am getting quite sick of some people that cannot seem to realize that white people are not not a homogeneous group. In fact no two people are alike no matter how you group them.
That brings me to the events of this week.
Some, not all, continue to blame all white people for this incident. Others blame all cops. Others blame all white cops.
The blame lies with four guys, period.
No one else.

Reactions: jeff2001
So the three direct responses to me quoting crystal clear racist thinking on this board were:

1) Susie Wong's life story (wtf?)
2) The stats don't lie, but I have no stats
3) I'm getting tired of all this racism against white people.

So the three direct responses to me quoting crystal clear racist thinking on this board were:

1) Susie Wong's life story (wtf?)
2) The stats don't lie, but I have no stats
3) I'm getting tired of all this racism against white people.

So lumping the blame on an entire race for the action of a single individual, by your own definition in a previous post, defines racism.
What part of what i said makes #3 above not a valid point? Cant have it both ways.

So lumping the blame on an entire race for the action of a single individual, by your own definition in a previous post, defines racism.
What part of what i said makes #3 above not a valid point? Cant have it both ways.

Where is anyone saying this is white people's fault? Please link. Where is anyone saying this is all white cop's fault? Again, please link.

#3 is certainly valid, but it wreaks of privilege and fragility that when faced with mass protests and riots formed around the notion that POC are affected in a disproportional level by police violence, the instinct is to not to support the movement or at least stand aside, but to get upset about people lumping white folks together.

Where is anyone saying this is white people's fault? Please link. Where is anyone saying this is all white cop's fault? Again, please link.

#3 is certainly valid, but it wreaks of privilege and fragility that when faced with mass protests and riots formed around the notion that POC are affected in a disproportional level by police violence, the instinct is to not to support the movement or at least stand aside, but to get upset about people lumping white folks together.

Read the signs at the "protest." Listen to the folks on twitter and facebook. Read what you just wrote about so called privilege.

You just said on this thread that black people are not a homogeneous group and i replied neither are white people. I figured the standard reply of "you may think you arent racist but you are because its somehow an inherent trait that comes with light pigment" argument.was next.
AND to imply that i dont support equality for all people because i pointed out that racism goes both ways is insulting. Seems like an assumption made based on your failed understanding of my first post or was it assumed just because of my skin color only.... which proves my point. Hmmmm

Last edited:
Telling constituents they're failing at the most basic humaning is not a winning formula for politicians. Therefore, the problem isn't getting solved. That is one of the failings of a democracy. To get elected, one must tell people what they want to hear and avoid telling them what they need to hear.

And if what they want to hear is more free handouts then thats what you do thus in essence buying votes while being totally fiscally irresponsible.
One day soon we are going to become insolvent. There will be no more money to throw at people everytime some issue arises and overnight we will have third world chaos.
We are headed that way and unfortunately over 50 percent of society cant even grasp this concept much less understand why its not a good thing long term.
Im glad im not a kid facing another 60 years on this rock. Its gonna suck

The stereotypical view of SC is just not true. We should be proud of that and stop being apologetic for a falsehood and quit letting this untrue perception hold us back.
The most racist people I have personally met are Irish dudes from South Boston.

Read the signs at the "protest." Listen to the folks on twitter and facebook. Read what you just wrote about so called privilege.
Ok so no links or sources.

i pointed out that racism goes both ways is insulting.

I'm mean you're being THAT guy, though. The "All Lives Matter" guy. The guy who is watching a house burn down on his street, complaining about how the fire department isn't putting water on his house too. If you're insulted that someone isn't validating your notion that racism "goes both ways" then that is the definition of fragility.

Ok so no links or sources.

I'm mean you're being THAT guy, though. The "All Lives Matter" guy. The guy who is watching a house burn down on his street, complaining about how the fire department isn't putting water on his house too. If you're insulted that someone isn't validating your notion that racism "goes both ways" then that is the definition of fragility.

Its not a notion and i dont need validation. There are plenty of people in the world that face racism every day and not all are minorities. Its sad it exists on any level.
If you cant acknowledge that then you are "that guy' not me

The most racist people I have personally met are Irish dudes from South Boston.
DING DING DING...we have a winner...Also, the Italians in Bensonhurst (Brooklyn) did not like anything other than white....It was like a sundown town down south if your were black, hispanic or asian you got back across to Manhattan or over to Queens.... I'm sure it's not as bad today...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT