ADVERTISEMENT

I would like to have a intelligent discussion about the horrible shooting that occurred today in Boulder, Co. No politics allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that’s why gun control measures typically impact people and not guns...

I don’t think anyone has any issue with a company making guns just for them to sit in a warehouse never touched by humans. It just wouldn’t be a profitable endeavor.
Man, you are a nut. Yes, there are many who wish to put gun makers out of business by allowing people who have been shot to sue the gun maker. Where have you been? And those same types of folks are trying to make it illegal to own an Armalite Rifle, which is not automatic and is not a assault rifle.

We can agree to disagree. Access for law-abiding gun owners is not a problem. Access for people who are going to use the guns illegally is a problem. The question is how do you tell the difference?
Just checking in to let you know that if you read the post I quoted, we don't really disagree. The trick is finding better ways to keep guns from a majority of those with ill intent, which we both agree is the problem. We are arguing semantics and I'm not doing it anymore. Pretty much everything else we've both been saying is in sync. So I'll leave it at that.

Reactions: ghostofpepsicock
Can felons legally have/buy a gun? No

Can I legally sell a gun to someone that can’t legally own it? No

Can someone legally lie on a background check form in order to get a gun they legally shouldn’t have? No

So what do you propose we need to do more? I’m open to background checks on person to person sales. That is reasonable. I’m open to some sort of mental check. That’s reasonable.

What more do you propose?

how about a registry so I know whether or not you sold your gun to a felon?

Just checking in to let you know that if you read the post I quoted, we don't really disagree. The trick is finding better ways to keep guns from a majority of those with ill intent, which we both agree is the problem. We are arguing semantics and I'm not doing it anymore. Pretty much everything else we've both been saying is in sync. So I'll leave it at that.

Well said. As soon as uscwatson21 explains how my having guns makes it easier for people to break the law, I will be done with this thread...

Minority Report?

You said that my having guns makes it "easier for people to break the law."

If you have read my posts I am not for criminals/crazies having guns. I have never argued against making it harder for criminals to get firearms. Check yourself.

Please explain your post below how my guns make it easier for people to break the law:

How do my having guns make it easier for people to break the law? I'll wait for a response.

I never said that so quit wasting our time with strawman arguments. Your refusal for any increased gun control measures is making it easier for people to break the law.

Please explain how this is a true statement...
The argument is that most gun owners are responsible laws abiding citizens (which I won’t discount) but that criminals often end up with stolen guns. So now you have to question how responsible someone is to have their gun stolen?

I think gun owners should be responsible for who they sell a gun to. As I have stated before in this thread, there should be a way to meet at the Sheriff's office to have a person to person background check performed before a private sale is completed.

So why not just have a registry and require all transactions to be logged?

No there isn’t. But the fact you can’t tell that explains why you’re making illogical arguments.
it's right here below:

I, a law abiding gun owner, make it easier for people to break the law...per the reply above...your words not mine...

[

Jack Kreacher?

Are we naming random Tom Cruise films?
[

Jack Kreacher?

Are we naming random Tom Cruise films?
I guess I thought you were smart enough to follow the statement I made which harkened back to your suggestion about keeping guns out of certain folks hands, that’s all. That is problematic to do constitutionally.

Reactions: WingchunCock
The argument is that most gun owners are responsible laws abiding citizens (which I won’t discount) but that criminals often end up with stolen guns. So now you have to question how responsible someone is to have their gun stolen?
How responsible would you be if someone broke into your house and stole a family heirloom? I would think that would not be your fault... If someone breaks the law breaking into your house, you want the owner to be at fault? I'm not following...

I guess I thought you were smart enough to follow the statement made which harkened back to your suggestion about keeping guns out of certain folks hands, that’s all.
No I got it. But until we have time travel or mind reading that's just a joke, and I would certainly never suggest it as a serious idea. :)

Reactions: cpvniii
No I got it. But until we have time travel or mind reading that's just a joke, and I would certainly never suggest it as a serious idea. :)
My thought was that until such extreme measures (unconstitutionally) are used, they really is no way to do such. There have been thoughts of predictor scoring already bandied about. That is where it gets concerning. It is also a part of our Personhood score which is about to be rolled out in the states. That is scary.
Local registration is no different than National registration. The FBI, ATF et al have access to all state data bases. I get it. I am registered. I carry. No problem. But it is a slippery slope.

Reactions: The Gadfly
How responsible would you be if someone broke into your house and stole a family heirloom? I would think that would not be your fault... If someone breaks the law breaking into your house, you want the owner to be at fault? I'm not following...
I’m not saying they should be at fault for any crimes committed with use of the fire arm but if your gun is in an unlocked console of an unlocked car then you aren’t being responsible. We hear all the time about people who have GPS or laptops or purses stolen from their cars that they are at fault for leaving the items in there so what is the difference? If you are irresponsible when it comes to some items then that same logic would apply to everything.

Reactions: uscwatson21
as far as being reasonable, I think gun owners should have to give an account of their guns if they show up in a crime...the gun should either have been already reported stolen or there should be a bill of sale of who you sold it to.

Reactions: Dizzy01
Shall not be infringed.
The US Supreme Court, currently composed of a majority of justices appointed by Republican presidents, recently determined that gun
regulations as recently proposed would not infringe upon the 2nd amendment of the US Constitution.

There you go again.

You want to “outlaw all assault weapons”, and you don’t even know what an assault weapon is.

Your Mini 14 is the exact same as an AR 15, no difference functionally at all. The only difference is the physical appearance. Yet you own one. And you obviously have no idea what you own.

I think debate like this is important, because it shows that many people with extreme ideas have absolutely no clue what they’re talking about.
Thank you. Have a nice day!

Reactions: paladin181
as far as being reasonable, I think gun owners should have to give an account of their guns if they show up in a crime...the gun should either have been already reported stolen or there should be a bill of sale of who you sold it to.
I would agree and if you don’t do the items above it should have some penalty attached. I used this example because there are countless stories of stolen guns being used and the owners not reporting it then claiming they either didn’t know or thought they just misplaced it. At that point you’ve proven yourself to be irresponsible.

Reactions: paladin181
All of my guns have been purchased at a store so SLED has a record (registry if you want to call it that) of my guns. I have no problem with that. Why? Because I am not a criminal lol...

have a good day.

So why do you have an issue with a real registry? Seems like such an odd position to take to knowingly make it easier for criminals to take possession of a weapon if you’re actually not a criminal.

There is no difference between the two.
I had typed a long response explaining how they're different, but this venue isn't the one to change minds, so I decided to delete it. If you say they'll be the same, then you believe that and I'm done with that line at this point. I'm trying to disengage. :)

It seems like an argument is why enforce/create law as ppl will still find a way to cause harm. If
You missed my point. My point is in other situations ppl did something. When guns are involved the answer is nothing could have prevented it.

And when ppl start driving cars thru crowds, car manufacturers will be in congress answering questions about what can be done to prevent that from happening.
Then we should have seen that after Charlottesville

Reactions: searooster

That’s all a registry would do in reality. It would just speed up the process to find out who owned the weapon and when the chain of custody first broke down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT