ADVERTISEMENT

If I'm pitching against the Gamecock baseball

Chad said after the game yesterday they're going to work on that this week in practice.

Sometimes it looks as if the guys are playing golf. They seem to be unable to pass up any
pitch around their ankles. Yesterday, they were swinging at balls that hit the dirt before they
got to the plate. Clemson's pitchers are good, but not as good as we made them look Sat.
and Sun.

Why haven't they already worked on it?

Has a similar tone of Whammy going up to the press boxes and then back down to the field etc. I proposed at the time Whammy be allowed to wear one of those jet packs and just hover over the stadium so he could get them in the correct alignment.
hqdefault.jpg

team they don't see another fastball all year. The off-speed junk really destroys our bats.

We don't take pitches, never have really as a team. We love to swing at the first pitch. Before Destino's 9 pitch walk the first 3 batters saw 7 pitches. The first two batters saw 4 pitches. 4 pitches! Despite that he threw 22 in the 1st. He had 51 after 3. But then we let him pitch 4 2/3 on only another 57 pitches.

They started their closer because they didn't have a lot of arms left, but we didn't try to exploit that. Much like our series against Arizona where they only had 2 pitchers, we made sure they didn't have to go to their bullpen by swinging at the first pitch no matter what.

Reactions: Lakecock1
We don't take pitches, never have really as a team. We love to swing at the first pitch. Before Destino's 9 pitch walk the first 3 batters saw 7 pitches. The first two batters saw 4 pitches. 4 pitches! Despite that he threw 22 in the 1st. He had 51 after 3. But then we let him pitch 4 2/3 on only another 57 pitches.

They started their closer because they didn't have a lot of arms left, but we didn't try to exploit that. Much like our series against Arizona where they only had 2 pitchers, we made sure they didn't have to go to their bullpen by swinging at the first pitch no matter what.

That's been a problem year after year. Lack of patience at the plate and not making the pitcher work. It kills me when a pitcher will walk one of our guys and next guy up swings at the first pitch.

It seems to be our philosophy at the plate and you've heard it in multiple interviews. It's always we're going to be "aggressive" at the plate and "get ours hacks in". I don't see anything wrong with being aggressive, but it can lead to swinging at a lot of bad pitches.

Its so much easier to hit when you're ahead in the count. A quality at bat in my opinion, is swinging at strikes and letting bad pitches go. If a pitcher knows your gonna lay off marginal pitches, your bound to see more " fat" pitches. Sometimes you're going to have more of a pitchers umpire, but that's an adjustment you have to make as the game progresses.

I didn't feel like we worked the pitchers hard enough this weekend. Just my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT