ADVERTISEMENT

If it's going to be Beamer, is the administration committed?

I know. But why would a savvy coach like Riley want to pay Beamer more than he's worth? He wouldn't.

TE coaches don't warrant much. It probably isn't really more than he is worth. But saying some one is worth more than i can normally pay a TE coach isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for being a HC in the SEC.

If Ray tanner hires Beamer we are a joke. I mean seriously SC is settling on a non experienced coach. That’s pathetic. 5 years more will be wasted. I am not belittling Beamer he may a great coach one day who knows. All we know now is he has never been a head coach or called a game. Shit tanner be like Henry Winkler coached the waterboy let’s get him.

If Ray tanner hires Beamer we are a joke. I mean seriously SC is settling on a non experienced coach. That’s pathetic. 5 years more will be wasted. I am not belittling Beamer he may a great coach one day who knows. All we know now is he has never been a head coach or called a game. Shit tanner be like Henry Winkler coached the waterboy let’s get him.
If he hires Monken, Beamer will look like the one that got away.

• Haha
Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
I would take Beamer over chadwell. Chadwell doesn’t have the connections to hire effective assistant coaches. Game planning against group of 5 and below coaches is completely different than game planning against sec coaches week in and week out.

Beamer can hire the best of the best, chadwell will probably just bring over his myrtle beach squad
They're saying Beamer likely keeps Bobo and they've floated Charlie Strong's name for DC or even Kevin Steele. Therefore, Beamer has ZERO connections. More importantly, it means he has no ability to identify new talent and what fits his philosophy whatever that may be. Muschamp had the same problem among many other faults. Just don't understand hiring some guy because of who he may hire. You think Chadwell or Napier couldn't land either of those guys? Who can Beamer hire that either one couldn't?

Old news, but whoever is the man has got to lock down SC with Clemson going more national. that means not letting UGa., UT and UF cherry pick who they want and the NC boys coming in and grabbing who they want off the border, we have to be the ones grabbing a few from those states, every year! If memory serves, Beamer got some good commits from Georgia!
That is exactly how he won for us when he was RC here. We got MOST ALL of the best in state players... and he benefited from a rich/deep pool of SC talent at the time. This year is VERY down for SC, but next year and especially the year after could be very good!

Reactions: vetteluvr
They're saying Beamer likely keeps Bobo and they've floated Charlie Strong's name for DC or even Kevin Steele. Therefore, Beamer has ZERO connections. More importantly, it means he has no ability to identify new talent and what fits his philosophy whatever that may be. Muschamp had the same problem among many other faults. Just don't understand hiring some guy because of who he may hire. You think Chadwell or Napier couldn't land either of those guys? Who can Beamer hire that either one couldn't?
I am not going into theoreticals but I would imagine him working with a ton of top programs would get him better access to coordinators that Chadwell (who I was comparing him to) could not

Are you saying the administration won't show this kind of commitment to Beamer or that they shouldn't pursue anyone who will have a rough spell to start his tenure here?
I answering your question. "Are we willing to endure the .375 to get to the .800?"
The answer is no. Not for someone with his resume. Changing the question to whether the administration will support him does not change my answer. The administration will bend to the outcry from the fans.

I am not going into theoreticals but I would imagine him working with a ton of top programs would get him better access to coordinators that Chadwell (who I was comparing him to) could not
Finding good assistants for what we pay isn't difficult. There's constant turnover in the coaching ranks.

This is Beamer's resume according to soonersports.com.

• Hired at Oklahoma in January 2018 as assistant head coach for offense (coaching tight ends and H-backs) after serving the 2016 and ’17 seasons as special teams coordinator and tight ends coach at Georgia. In addition to his OU offensive coaching responsibilities, also plays a role in overseeing special teams.

• Coached H-back Jeremiah Hall to second-team All-Big 12 honors in 2019 as OU led the nation in yards per play (8.0) and ranked third in total offense (537.6 ypg) and fourth in passing efficiency rating (187.0).

• Part of an offensive staff that saw the Sooners lead the nation in 2018 in total offense (570.3 ypg), scoring offense (48.4 ppg) and yards per play (FBS-record 8.6), and rank second in passing efficiency rating (194.9). Senior H-back pupil Carson Meier earned second-team All-Big 12 honors after catching 19 passes for 327 yards and four touchdowns.

• OU ranked 14th nationally in punt return average in 2018 with a 14.5-yard mark (up from 97th in 2017 before Beamer’s arrival [5.6 average]) and 31st in kickoff return average with a 22.7-yard figure (up from 98th in 2017 [19.3 average]). Also, the Sooners hadn’t blocked a punt that was returned for a TD since 2002 but registered two in 2018.

• Georgia posted a 21-7 combined record with Beamer on staff, including a 13-2 mark in 2017 when the Bulldogs won the SEC Championship Game, beat OU 54-48 in overtime in the College Football Playoff Semifinal at the Rose Bowl and lost 26-23 to Alabama in overtime in the CFP National Championship.

• Served as associate head coach and running backs coach at Virginia Tech for five years (2011-15) and was an assistant coach at South Carolina (2007-10) and Mississippi State (2004-06).

• In 2017, Georgia ranked eighth nationally in net punting average (41.7 yards) after ranking 112th in 2016, and 20th nationally in kickoff return average (23.5 yards). The Bulldogs also improved 76 spots from 2016 in kickoff return defense, allowing 19.5 yards per return to rank 40th.

• Georgia blocked four kicks in 2017, and its three blocked field goals ranked as third most in school history. Rodrigo Blankenship made 21 of his 24 field goal attempts (87.5 percent) to lead the SEC in FG percentage, while Cameron Nizalek’s 42.0-yard net punting average was the second-best mark in school history. Returner Mecole Hardman led the SEC in punt return average (11.8 yards) and ranked second in kickoff return average (25.3 yards).

• Beamer’s 2013 Virginia Tech running backs didn’t fumble the ball in 350 combined attempts, marking the first time in his father Frank’s head coaching tenure for the feat. His 2014 group suffered through several injuries that hampered production, but tailback J.C. Coleman stepped up late in the season and earned Military Bowl MVP honors, a game in which Beamer served as the acting head coach while his father watched from the press box following throat surgery.

• In his first year as an assistant coach at Virginia Tech, he provided mentorship to David Wilson, who broke the school’s single-season rushing record and was named an AP All-American and ACC Player of the Year. Wilson was a first-round NFL Draft pick by the New York Giants.

• At South Carolina, Beamer coordinated the special teams and coached outside linebackers, and in his final two years served as recruiting coordinator. He was nominated for the 2009 Frank Broyles Award, which goes to the assistant coach of the year. His special teams units recorded five blocked kicks that season, tying for the SEC lead and tying for the eighth-highest total in the nation. He also helped coach a defensive unit that ranked third in the SEC and 15th in the country in total defense, and second in the league and eighth in the country in passing defense.

• Beamer joined the South Carolina staff in 2007, coaching outside linebackers and serving as special teams co-coordinator in his first season. He worked with the cornerbacks in his second campaign, helping the defense finish the regular season ranked second in the nation in pass defense and 13th in total defense.

• Beamer’s first class as South Carolina’s recruiting coordinator (2009) was ranked as the nation’s 12th-best by both Rivals and Scout, and the 2010 and 2011 recruiting classes were again ranked in the top 25.

• He was hired by Mississippi State in January 2004 to coach the Bulldog cornerbacks. In his first two seasons at MSU, he guided three defensive backs to SEC All-Freshman Team accolades. He made the move to running backs coach in the spring of 2006 and coached running back Anthony Dixon to SEC All-Freshman honors. He also served as the program’s recruiting coordinator.

• Beamer spent three seasons (2001-03) as a graduate assistant at Tennessee, helping with the cornerbacks, coaching the placekickers, punters and long snappers, and assisting in all special teams areas. He also oversaw game opponent scouting and earned a master’s degree in sport management in December 2003.

• Before joining the staff at Tennessee, he worked one season (2000) as a graduate assistant at Georgia Tech, helping with the Yellow Jacket quarterbacks and wide receivers.

Accomplishments as a Player

• Was a member of five bowl teams (1995-99 seasons) and three Big East Conference championship squads at Virginia Tech as a long snapper and wide receiver.

• Concluded his college playing career by helping the 1999 Hokies to a No. 2 final regular-season ranking and national championship game berth vs. Florida State in the Sugar Bowl.

If and when Beamer is hired, this hire will be fully vetted by General Caslen, the board, big time donors, and everyone else. You can't blame this on Tanner. I hope it is Beamer, but for those who don't, you need to find someone to bash besides Tanner. This is a full admin. hire.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT