ADVERTISEMENT

If Kiffin and Leach are successful..

Nothing against Leach or Kiffin, but the only thing either will do is make The Egg Bowl more entertaining. They will very likely finish 5th or worse in the SEC West each year. The only years they may be successful is if their SEC East foes are advantageous. Nothing against either coach, but, except for an occasional year, they will be a distance group behind Alabama, LSU, Auburn and probably even TAM. TAM can’t even break into the top three with all they have.

Could they have the occasional big win.....sure, but it won’t be consistent.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I know Muschamps offense’s have been anemic, but has any of his defenses been in the top Five ?

What recruiting ties to the south did Urban Meyer have? Nick Saban? Les Miles? Even Lane Kiffin?

The fact is good coaches/recruiters can make it happen. I want the best, be they from SC, Maine, Arizona or Washington state.
Easier to recruit at Bama,LSU and Florida than at SC.

Oh I agree, the only issue there is fighting everyone else who will want a coach that's been a long term success.

I was thinking more of trying to find "the next up and comer" before he's identified by everyone else.
That makes sense. But after taking a chance on a failed Florida Head Coach Muschamp, I see the next hire being a proven winner.

If....IF...Muschamp does not produce on the field this year and we cut our losses, Billy Napier at Univ. of Louisiana at Lafayette will be a prime candidate..

Reactions: gamecock stock
No. They were never even considered. Neither coach has anything to do with Tanner, USC or anything related to Will Muschamp. Both are radioactive coaches with long histories of off color comments, bad behavior and in Lane’s case- outright blatant lies and cheating (not to mention his infidelity with sorority girls and attempts to recruit using them as hookers). Why any of our fans would ever consider either coach for our school is beyond me.

We don’t need a side show carnival act like Kiffen or Leach, we need a proven winner with name recognition and clout to win here because we do not have our own name recognition and history to recruit for us. That is why SOS and Holtz were some of the most successful coaches ever here... It would be an outright disaster if we gave either of these guys our job, as I suspect it will be at their current roles. Leach already got off to a very rocky start...

they sound like our kind of guys to me. LOL

I would argue that despite all the red flags both Kiffin and leach especially are head and shoulders better hires than Muschamp . Love hit or hate him Kiffin turned UT around the half season he was there and even though he fail miserably at USC he went into a very bad situation when Pete Carroll high tailed it due to all the recruiting violations . Leach has won everywhere he’s been . Muschamp has never won anywhere as an HC . Those are just the facts

And that’s a big if , can we just admit that Tanner screwed the pooch again . I sincerely believe that we could have gotten either if we went all in . Not convinced either will find great success in the West but if either of them do ?!?!

I don't see either of them doing well here.

Neither did Spurrier.

But now I see that Leach tweeted that noose meme which is never going to be acceptable and wasn't even funny, so my views have changed a bit.

Leach came very close to being fired in the last 6 months. Great offensive mnd but doesn't play well with college athletic depts. In today's ultra sensitive environment, Leach is a real risk. His mouth has no filter.

Reactions: BattleshipTexas
But add to that Muschamp's buyout and the fact we will be running in the red for at least two years, it looks prohibitive to me.
Standing alone it isn't a huge buyout. Someone else will nab him.

I still don't understand the size of Muschamp's buyout relative to his salary. What were they thinking?

Yea. If we had the chance, or the foresight, to have hired Leach, or Kiffen, we absolutely should have. Just like in basketball. I wish timing would have played out better and we could have hired Bruce Pearl. Say what you will about the man, but if he were in Columbia the arena wouldn't be the empty tomb it is for all but Kentucky types that bring the fans out.. Campbell, as long as his star stays rising at Iowa St he will have better options than USC. Surprised he hasn't left yet. Seen it a ton of times. Coaches don't move when they are hot figuring things will keep getting better and they will get a shingle job. Then things flatten and they are stuck,, or forgotten altogether.. Fleck? He will have better options also one would figure. But I hope he would never come to Columbia. I just tire of his act. Always running around in his stupid tie....."look at me, look at me". Good coach I guess, but just annoying.

His agent was thinking we’re negotiating with a guy who has no business as an AD. Let’s stick it to him.
Despite everything there are smart people on the BOT. How did this get by them? We are essentially locked into a long term contract with a coach that should have been fired at the end of last year. (year #4) And but for that contract I am almost certain he would have been fired.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Despite everything there are smart people on the BOT. How did this get by them? We are essentially locked into a long term contract with a coach that should have been fired at the end of last year. (year #4) And but for that contract I am almost certain he would have been fired.
The short answer is that our board and administration is the Good Ol' Boy Country Club. And Ray is one of their own. Look no further than the extension they gave him before the new president was hired (the shenanigans of that process is a whole other topic). It was almost a warning shot across the bow: "Ray is our guy. Don't mess with him."

Yea. If we had the chance, or the foresight, to have hired Leach, or Kiffen, we absolutely should have.

Both are better than Muschamp. Even if Kiffen brought some sanctions, SC would be better off when either of those two left than when Muschamp leaves.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT