ADVERTISEMENT

If Kiffin and Leach are successful..

And that’s a big if , can we just admit that Tanner screwed the pooch again . I sincerely believe that we could have gotten either if we went all in . Not convinced either will find great success in the West but if either of them do ?!?!
No. They were never even considered. Neither coach has anything to do with Tanner, USC or anything related to Will Muschamp. Both are radioactive coaches with long histories of off color comments, bad behavior and in Lane’s case- outright blatant lies and cheating (not to mention his infidelity with sorority girls and attempts to recruit using them as hookers). Why any of our fans would ever consider either coach for our school is beyond me.

We don’t need a side show carnival act like Kiffen or Leach, we need a proven winner with name recognition and clout to win here because we do not have our own name recognition and history to recruit for us. That is why SOS and Holtz were some of the most successful coaches ever here... It would be an outright disaster if we gave either of these guys our job, as I suspect it will be at their current roles. Leach already got off to a very rocky start...

No. They were never even considered. Neither coach has anything to do with Tanner, USC or anything related to Will Muschamp. Both are radioactive coaches with long histories of off color comments, bad behavior and in Lane’s case- outright blatant lies and cheating (not to mention his infidelity with sorority girls and attempts to recruit using them as hookers). Why any of our fans would ever consider either coach for our school is beyond me.

We don’t need a side show carnival act like Kiffen or Leach, we need a proven winner with name recognition and clout to win here because we do not have our own name recognition and history to recruit for us. That is why SOS and Holtz were some of the most successful coaches ever here... It would be an outright disaster if we gave either of these guys our job, as I suspect it will be at their current roles. Leach already got off to a very rocky start...

Yeah Kiffin is definitely a wild card but Leach is a proven winner and program builder . If you can win in In Pullman and Lubbock you can win anywhere . He’s definitely off his rocker but if your a five star QB or WR it would at least peak your interest .

We would never hire Leach or Kiffin. Not in a million years.

I'm waiting for Fleck or Harsin - possibly Campbell. (Heupel looks too much like Brad Scott for my taste.)
You might as well forget about Fleck, he signed an extension back in November that goes through 2026. If the rumors are true, then the monies are not there to make him want to leave.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr_Blutarsky

I'm waiting for Fleck or Harsin - possibly Campbell. (Heupel looks too much like Brad Scott for my taste.)
I doubt Fleck or Campbell would come. Lateral move and likely no more money after their school matches an offer. Possibly Hardin but it’s a different recruiting base. Best bet is to roll the dice on a. young coach like the one at UNCC.

You might as well forget about Fleck, he signed extension back in November that goes through 2026. If the rumors are true, then the monies are not there to make him want to leave.
I remember he signed the extension. But I thought I remember someone posting here that the buyout really wasn't that much overall? Idk, I could be wrong.

But if I'm not, I would love it if we pulled a rabbit out of our hat and made it happen.

I remember he signed the extension. But I thought I remember someone posting here that the buyout really wasn't that much overall? Idk, I could be wrong.

But if I'm not, I would love it if we pulled a rabbit out of our hat and made it happen.
I don't know if the amounts listed would be considered prohibitive by our administration but here they are:
The buyout for a departure by Fleck drops to $4.5 million in 2021, $3.5 million in 2022, $3 million in 2023, and $2 million in 2024 or 2025.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...0191106-vmcfnnxidzboxc7mulgj2zdp7a-story.html

Reactions: OldWiseCock
People seem to bring up the guy at Charlotte. Campbell and Fleck won't come here, in my opinion. This isn't even considering their current contacts. Fleck is a unique guy. He can put his fingerprints on everything at Minnesota without much scrutiny. Campbell will make a big jump next.

And that’s a big if , can we just admit that Tanner screwed the pooch again . I sincerely believe that we could have gotten either if we went all in . Not convinced either will find great success in the West but if either of them do ?!?!

Well in 8 years as a head coach in the SEC, our coach has never had an offense rank higher than 8th. Yea, he screwed the pooch.

Why would we have to wait and see how Leach and Kiffin do? I can comfortably say Ray has failed right now.

It's doable and negotiable under last year's college football paradigm, but I'm not sure it is now, at least not until everyone has a better idea of what college football revenue looks like moving forward.
I think it still can be. With the high probability of limited stadium revenues this season, that'll be that many more people watching from home. Theoretically, that could lead to more SEC Network revenue. Plus, even before this pandemic we were something like the 17th or so richest athletic department in the country. Time to pony up.

People seem to bring up the guy at Charlotte. Campbell and Fleck won't come here, in my opinion. This isn't even considering their current contacts. Fleck is a unique guy. He can put his fingerprints on everything at Minnesota without much scrutiny. Campbell will make a big jump next.
Fleck is a Midwest guy through and through.... we can agree that the SEC >>>> Big 10, but it’s hard to see him making the move down south. Of course, I had no idea Bret Bielema(sp?) would leave Wiscy for the Hawgs, but BB was chafing under a prick AD and wanted to bail out.

Campbell seems like a plausible option however.

If we have an opportunity to hire a new Head Football Coach, it will be someone with recruiting contacts in the Southeast. Those who mention Fleck can forget him for more reasons than the fact he is outside the Southeast and money. He has the whole state of Minnesota to himself. He does not have to compete with a Clemson-like program. The guy at UNC-Charlotte has a 20-27 record as a Head Coach. That hire would not fly.

Considering the debacle that is Will Muschamp, the next hire will be a proven winner as Head Coach The fact that we are deep in the hole talent-wise compared to neighboring schools like clemson and Georgia, the next hire will need to be someone who has recruiting contacts in the Southeast. And because college football has evolved to being an "offense-first" game, the next Head Coach will need to be an offensive guru.

Reactions: gamecock stock
Our leaders and fans are arrogant and stupid if we wouldn't consider Leach. Arrogance and entitlement seem to be major issues here. Not sure why.

Also Muschamp looks very similar to Fat Bradstard too, but that Heupel is like his twin. Wish i hadn't searched for him, haha

Our leaders and fans are arrogant and stupid if we wouldn't consider Leach. Arrogance and entitlement seem to be major issues here. Not sure why.

Also Muschamp looks very similar to Fat Bradstard too, but that Heupel is like his twin. Wish i hadn't searched for him, haha
Did Brad Scott have Heupel-like success as a Head College Football Coach prior to coming to Carolina?

We need to hire someone like Heupel, if not Heupel. If there's someone in this region who fits that criteria, I'm all for going after him. Of course, we have to have an opening first. Who knows, Muschamp might turn things around this season.

I doubt Fleck or Campbell would come. Lateral move and likely no more money after their school matches an offer. Possibly Hardin but it’s a different recruiting base. Best bet is to roll the dice on a. young coach like the one at UNCC.
Are you serious Clark? UNCFC?

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Yeah Kiffin is definitely a wild card but Leach is a proven winner and program builder . If you can win in In Pullman and Lubbock you can win anywhere . He’s definitely off his rocker but if your a five star QB or WR it would at least peak your interest .
Leach fields entertaining teams that win more than they lose and that seems appealing to us. But he's not a guy that will make a program into a championship. contender. If he ever even makes it to Atlanta, I'll reassess.

I'm just struggling to understand why there are no southern coaches in the mix. Seriously, where is a modern day
Bear Bryant?

The guy at UNC-Charlotte has a 20-27 record as a Head Coach. That hire would not fly.

I dont know his yearly records off the top of my head. But a guy can take over a 1 win team and bring them to an 11 win season and still be floating around. 500 for a total record.

I dont know his yearly records off the top of my head. But a guy can take over a 1 win team and bring them to an 11 win season and still be floating around. 500 for a total record.
That is true. In his first year, he went winless. 2nd year he won 8. 3rd year, he won 5. That's pretty erratic. Hiring someone with that kind of performance would scare me. IF Muschamp continues to fail, seems to me that we would not take that kind of risk again. Thus, we'd look for someone who has consistently been VERY successful. But, that's me.

Radioactive of not, still better than what we ended up hiring!

That is true. In his first year, he went winless. 2nd year he won 8. 3rd year, he won 5. That's pretty erratic. Hiring someone with that kind of performance would scare me. IF Muschamp continues to fail, seems to me that we would not take that kind of risk again. Thus, we'd look for someone who has consistently been VERY successful. But, that's me.

Oh I agree, the only issue there is fighting everyone else who will want a coach that's been a long term success.

I was thinking more of trying to find "the next up and comer" before he's identified by everyone else.

Fleck is a Midwest guy through and through.... we can agree that the SEC >>>> Big 10, but it’s hard to see him making the move down south. Of course, I had no idea Bret Bielema(sp?) would leave Wiscy for the Hawgs, but BB was chafing under a prick AD and wanted to bail out.

Campbell seems like a plausible option however.
1. Make him tell us no.

2 Would that AD have been Barry Alvarez? If so, was he The Man before Bielema got there? That would definitely be a little awkward.

3. I've been hearing that Campbell was the Midwest guy through and through. But he too would be a great get.

That's totally doable. And negotiable. But we need a forward-thinking AD first.
Very few Athletic Departments will be willing to make moves on their current coaches if it means multi-million dollar buyouts and higher contracts for the new guy. Athletic funds have already dropped significantly due to NCAA Tourney cancellation, and football revenue will be way down at all schools due to ticket sales and/pr game cancellations. Even basketball ticket sales will be iffy, as well as out of conference schedules.
Bottom line - no buyouts or expensive new hires until things are back to normal.

If we have an opportunity to hire a new Head Football Coach, it will be someone with recruiting contacts in the Southeast. Those who mention Fleck can forget him for more reasons than the fact he is outside the Southeast and money. He has the whole state of Minnesota to himself. He does not have to compete with a Clemson-like program. The guy at UNC-Charlotte has a 20-27 record as a Head Coach. That hire would not fly.

Considering the debacle that is Will Muschamp, the next hire will be a proven winner as Head Coach The fact that we are deep in the hole talent-wise compared to neighboring schools like clemson and Georgia, the next hire will need to be someone who has recruiting contacts in the Southeast. And because college football has evolved to being an "offense-first" game, the next Head Coach will need to be an offensive guru.
What recruiting ties to the south did Urban Meyer have? Nick Saban? Les Miles? Even Lane Kiffin?

The fact is good coaches/recruiters can make it happen. I want the best, be they from SC, Maine, Arizona or Washington state.

Leach came very close to being fired in the last 6 months. Great offensive mnd but doesn't play well with college athletic depts. In today's ultra sensitive environment, Leach is a real risk. His mouth has no filter.

My concern with Muschamp was that- he was fired at Florida after a dumpster fire of a Spurrier team beat Florida....... Then we hire him!? :confused:

I “was”’a supporter and optimistic. I still want to be. But.......... we still suck.

Y'all are forgetting our buyout on Muschamp plus several other current coaches. Muschamp will be here 2-3 more years.
If he's here that long with similar results from the last couple of years, the fans won't be. Diminishing returns would come into play -- assuming we had a competent AD.

Very few Athletic Departments will be willing to make moves on their current coaches if it means multi-million dollar buyouts and higher contracts for the new guy. Athletic funds have already dropped significantly due to NCAA Tourney cancellation, and football revenue will be way down at all schools due to ticket sales and/pr game cancellations. Even basketball ticket sales will be iffy, as well as out of conference schedules.
Bottom line - no buyouts or expensive new hires until things are back to normal.
I said this in another post. Before all this, we had the 17th or so richest athletic department in the country. Assuming there is a football season, even with limited fans, there will be that many more people watching on TV. That could potentially lead to even higher TV revenues.

Also consider that Florida State was very much in red last year. But their fans and boosters didn't put up with crappy, losing football. They made a change happen.

When you're serious about winning, you find a way. Boosters like Joe Rice could bankroll the whole thing all by himself and not even notice the difference in his bank statement. It all comes down to want-to.

So, who fits that criteria who would come here?

Our coach is going nowhere, guys get used to Muschamp whether you like it or not.He isn't going anywhere! He is our coach for the next 2-4 years at least. Lol pipe dreaming

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT