ADVERTISEMENT

If Tanner is not going after O'Connor

bushmastercock

Nov 30, 2015
I say wait until after cws is over to make a decision if Brian O'Connor is not the top target. Reason being, as it stands now we are the top job opening in the country and this coaching hire needs to be a homerun. Tanner alluded to the prospect of being competitive monetarily. While that's a broad statement, if we want to continue be an elite program no coach is beyond approach if we are willing to aunty up.That includes McDonnell, O'Sullivan, Corbin etc. The other options Lemonis, Bakich, Walter, Calvi, Johnson, etc should still be available in a few weeks if necessary. To me getting the right coach trumps losing a recruit or a few

I say wait until after cws is over to make a decision if Brian O'Connor is not the top target. Reason being, as it stands now we are the top job opening in the country and this coaching hire needs to be a homerun. Tanner alluded to the prospect of being competitive monetarily. While that's a broad statement, if we want to continue be an elite program no coach is beyond approach if we are willing to aunty up.That includes McDonnell, O'Sullivan, Corbin etc. The other options Lemonis, Bakich, Walter, Calvi, Johnson, etc should still be available in a few weeks if necessary. To me getting the right coach trumps losing a recruit or a few

I think Tanner says what the fans want to hear when it comes to paying a coach, but in reality we aren't going to pay a salary like Florida is paying. That just won't happen.

Reactions: rogue cock
I think Tanner says what the fans want to hear when it comes to paying a coach, but in reality we aren't going to pay a salary like Florida is paying. That just won't happen.

We can and will pay whatever price we feel is necessary. I don't get the notion that we can't or won't pay up.

What does Dawn Staley make? He will not pay the new coach more than her unless he will up her salary to land the big fish. It has happened in the past.

Also if we aren't willing to pay top price for a coach what's the point of all the SEC money?

We can and will pay whatever price we feel is necessary. I don't get the notion that we can't or won't pay up.

I could be dead wrong, but I don't see Tanner "breaking the bank" for a baseball coach. I like the Muschamp hire, and I've voiced my opinion on how much I like it, but to me it's a sign that Tanner can't spend with the rest of the big boys like we all think he can.

I guess we don't have the filthy rich alumni like the Bama, Auburn, UGA, LSU etc. We will never win in football without. Even Clemson has the big boosters that will pay up

I am not doubting you, but what evidence do you have to support your opinion? I am genuinely asking because I know nothing of the financial abilities of USC's athletic department.

I am not doubting you, but what evidence do you have to support your opinion? I am genuinely asking because I know nothing of the financial abilities of USC's athletic department.

I don't think we have financial issues at USC, but I don't have inside knowledge either. Based on history is where I draw my conclusion. We wouldn't have gotten Spurrier had we had to pay true market value when he was first hired.

We weren't willing to sell the farm on a head football coach either. I agree with the Muschamp hiring but we weren't going to pay what it would have taken to get Herman here, and Im glad.

I think you'll see Tanner make a good hire, I just don't think it's going to be a guy that would demand an upper tier salary like Florida's head coach.

It's not just as simple as it seems when you say we can pay whatever it takes,, Schlossnagle,,O'Sullivan,,McDonnell are all over $1m guys,,so with Holbrook's buyout and then there buyout plus new salary you are looking at $3m first year of spending for a new coach,,not sure the BOT will go along with that,,O'Conner is making 225k,,750k-850k he is ours,,UVA is not going to be able to make that Or he would already be a 500k guy now

What does Dawn Staley make? He will not pay the new coach more than her unless he will up her salary to land the big fish. It has happened in the past.

Also if we aren't willing to pay top price for a coach what's the point of all the SEC money?

Staley was making 1.1 mil and I think it just got upped to 1.25.

Last edited:
It's not just as simple as it seems when you say we can pay whatever it takes,, Schlossnagle,,O'Sullivan,,McDonnell are all over $1m guys,,so with Holbrook's buyout and then there buyout plus new salary you are looking at $3m first year of spending for a new coach,,not sure the BOT will go along with that,,O'Conner is making 225k,,750k-850k he is ours,,UVA is not going to be able to make that Or he would already be a 500k guy now

O'Connor is making a lot more than 225k. Following the 2015 season he was making: Base $225K, Supplemental $375k plus attainable bonuses $100K which would have put him in the $650,000 - $700,000 range.

O'Connor is making a lot more than 225k. Following the 2015 season he was making: Base $225K, Supplemental $375k plus attainable bonuses $100K which would have put him in the $650,000 - $700,000 range.
So you give him a base salary of 650 to 700k plus incentives. I would think ,unless he is just set with Virginia, he'd rather be guaranteed $650k to $700k with an opportunity for more than that be his ceiling. Especially when you throw in our tradition, facilities, crowds, and recruiting area

Reactions: ButtKickinChicken
Tanner doesn't say what he doesn't mean. He doesn't play games.

So you give him a base salary of 650 to 700k plus incentives. I would think ,unless he is just set with Virginia, he'd rather be guaranteed $650k to $700k with an opportunity for more than that be his ceiling. Especially when you throw in our tradition, facilities, crowds, and recruiting area

Quite possibly - you just never know what motivates people.

Tanner doesn't say what he doesn't mean. He doesn't play games.
I don't think he's playing a game, I just don't seeing SC look to buy a big name. To me, it's just not going to happen and I don't think Tanner will come out and say that, he can't.

I could be dead wrong, but I don't see Tanner "breaking the bank" for a baseball coach. I like the Muschamp hire, and I've voiced my opinion on how much I like it, but to me it's a sign that Tanner can't spend with the rest of the big boys like we all think he can.

Well, if we want the best then we need to go after the best and pay the big bucks.

Reactions: bushmastercock
UVa has more of an endowment than Bama, LSU, UGA, and AU combined, probably could add us and the Tates as well. Now I know that ain't sports money, but their alumni are stupid rich. Why isn't BOC making more in his 13th year, with a NC? Intriguing

Reactions: IrmoRed
UVa has more of an endowment than Bama, LSU, UGA, and AU combined, probably could add us and the Tates as well. Now I know that ain't sports money, but their alumni are stupid rich. Why isn't BOC making more in his 13th year, with a NC? Intriguing

If he wants that raise from Virginia, all he has to do is schedule a meeting with Ray Tanner.

Reactions: IrmoRed
I don't think he's playing a game, I just don't seeing SC look to buy a big name. To me, it's just not going to happen and I don't think Tanner will come out and say that, he can't.
He probably doesn't want a big name, and I don't either. A fundamentally sound mid major head coach would work best.

I guess we don't have the filthy rich alumni like the Bama, Auburn, UGA, LSU etc. We will never win in football without. Even Clemson has the big boosters that will pay up

For some reason, known only to God I suppose, our wealthy alumni (with some exceptions) consider it an insult to their honor and glory to pump REALLY big $$$ into athletics - which would greatly magnify the national recognition of the university (overnight) when we win big in football and other sports. These 'rich Rednecks' need to get a good dose of reality - USC is not going to beat out UVA and UNC for 'Ivy League' public anytime in the near future, but we can make a LOT of noise QUICKLY in athletics - they just can't/won't get that through their thick skulls.

For some reason, known only to God I suppose, our wealthy alumni (with some exceptions) consider it an insult to their honor and glory to pump REALLY big $$$ into athletics - which would greatly magnify the national recognition of the university (overnight) when we win big in football and other sports. These 'rich Rednecks' need to get a good dose of reality - USC is not going to beat out UVA and UNC for 'Ivy League' public anytime in the near future, but we can make a LOT of noise QUICKLY in athletics - they just can't/won't get that through their thick skulls.

LOL UNC = "Ivy League" . Sorry, had to laugh at that one. :) Also, the term "public Ivy" gets me tickled every time. Its a business decision and our athletics budget is 20-25 million a year greater than either school listed above. UNC and UVa have larger endowments, so what? Neither of their baseball coach's would be out of our price range. (I am not advocating for Mike Fox, never). We can afford to get who we want, not that we have to prove the point. I am very biased, but I believe this is one of the best positions in the country that's currently available. Great pay, great fans, great facilities, and supported by an AD that's an ex-baseball coach. I'm sure the administration will do their utmost and make the best decision based on the information available to them.

Reactions: tl from little hell
Considering how exceedingly tight-lipped Ray is, I know it's all guesswork.

Freddy...no one has said we haven't. Quite honestly, all any of us is doing in these threads is giving nothing more than our own opinions. Which is what the media is doing as well.

I guess you are right but the waiting is agony but we have only been searching for a new coach for a few days. So, it makes sense that we don't have one yet. LOL!

First of all, we have much more fan support for Baseball than Florida. It's not a matter of paying more than Fla. pays him. Of course we can match and pay more. But, he is in a contract. To buy him out is the real reason he will not be offered. Not to mention he is a Jackass Leggett prodigy.

Does Sparky Anderson have any grandkids coaching?
Better yet, how about Billy Martin? Sellouts would never be an issue!

I don't care if O'Sullivan was a protoge of the devil himself. He's a hell of a baseball coach and if he came here, we'd be set! With that being said, I think O'Connor would be much more doable. I don't get all the "he coached at Clemson, so we don't want him" crowd. If he's the best guy for the job, bring him in!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT