ADVERTISEMENT

If we lose to UGA men's basketball team, will that be the nail in the coffin for Frank Martin?

TN-Gamecock

May 10, 2002
Erwin, TN/Originally from Greer
UGA men's basketball is pathetic...if we lose to them in our next game, will that be the nail in the coffin for Frank?
I think if Carolina wins, he might get throught the end of the season. If Frank is not let go, then I am now on the train
to let Ray Tanner go...Maybe the new president will jump in and say enough is enough...

Reactions: jerryusc
I think we are already at a point where a decent season is salvageable....(all the politics and buyout stuff aside which i know knowing about and I guess ultimately none of us really do)....I would say let Frank go (hopefully he'd retire) and give the keys to the best person we currently have on staff.
Give Chuck Martin a test ride as head coach (he's got limited head coaching experience but assistant at some nice programs - Indiana and Memphis) and see what he's all about.

We have a decent team talent-wise....not a cellar-dweller, a mid-season change could really spark something in these guys.

Reactions: ansoncock
....fun fact, did you know Doug Edwards was on our staff? Former FSU standout and Atlanta Hawk?
I had no idea. Blast from the past. Apparently he played for Frank in high school

Watch us lose to UGA and then go on a 5 game winning streak, to get everyone's hopes up that maybe he turned it around, we end up getting to about .500 in SEC play and having "bubble" dreams only to go one and done in the SEC tournament... You can hear it now... he's so close and just needs a little more time....
Like another 10 years.

Am I to assume the BOT has a say that supersedes the AD?
Every contract, raise, extension needs BOT approval. Any major buyout would need the same. But wasn’t this a senator or representative that basically got Martin’s firing shot down because of how much we were already paying Muschamp in a year we lost money due to Covid?

I think we are already at a point where a decent season is salvageable....(all the politics and buyout stuff aside which i know knowing about and I guess ultimately none of us really do)....I would say let Frank go (hopefully he'd retire) and give the keys to the best person we currently have on staff.
Give Chuck Martin a test ride as head coach (he's got limited head coaching experience but assistant at some nice programs - Indiana and Memphis) and see what he's all about.

We have a decent team talent-wise....not a cellar-dweller, a mid-season change could really spark something in these guys.
Well, any thought of bringing Bruce Shingler back is dead with his solicitation of a prostitute arrest at Maryland. Maybe he should have gone to Arkansas.

Every contract, raise, extension needs BOT approval. Any major buyout would need the same. But wasn’t this a senator or representative that basically got Martin’s firing shot down because of how much we were already paying Muschamp in a year we lost money due to Covid?
Pretty much. The issue was over a funding request by the University for the medical school and the legislator threatened that funding request. Caslen had vetoed the Muschamp buyout, which is why one or more private donations were required to get rid of Muschamp. For whatever reason, Caslen couldn't explain that nor the fact that athletic department revenues have little to do with regular university revenues.....I would hazard a guess that was because they are not segregated at the USMA.

Vienna, good point. RT wanted to fire him last season but then USC USC’d in a way that only USC can.
Lets not forget that the main thing that caused issues around the FM/USC basketball stuff with the state legislature was the enormous payout the school had just given Will Muschamp....which was negotiated by Ray Tanner. Ray Tanner not being accountable for current dumpster fire status of Carolina basketball is bogus.

Nooooo. This dumpster fire needs a house cleaning when it comes to coaches. Hire the best new coach and can and let him build out his own staff. There has been way too much toxic drama around this program and losing to let any of that carry over to a new coaching staff.

Oh look.....Gamecocks currently tied for next to last place in the SEC.

Look at Auburn now. Final Four in 2019. Currently ranked #2 in the nation. This year will be their 4th in the last 5 with 20+ wins. Average at best history. What element does Auburn have to make them successful that we dont have?????

Pretty much. The issue was over a funding request by the University for the medical school and the legislator threatened that funding request. Caslen had vetoed the Muschamp buyout, which is why one or more private donations were required to get rid of Muschamp. For whatever reason, Caslen couldn't explain that nor the fact that athletic department revenues have little to do with regular university revenues.....I would hazard a guess that was because they are not segregated at the USMA.
Just curious - but why do you believe our AD has so little in the coffers for a rainy day? I've read a few times over the years that SC is in the Top 20-25 most profitable programs in the country - pulling in close to $30 million a year. Seems like they would have a little more in reverses if that is in fact the case? Maybe it's advantageous from a fund raising standpoint to regularly have a EOY P/L around breakeven?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lakecock1
Nooooo. This dumpster fire needs a house cleaning when it comes to coaches. Hire the best new coach and can and let him build out his own staff. There has been way too much toxic drama around this program and losing to let any of that carry over to a new coaching staff.

Look at Auburn now. Final Four in 2019. Currently ranked #2 in the nation. This year will be their 4th in the last 5 with 20+ wins. Average at best history. What element does Auburn have to make them successful that we dont have?????
What element does Auburn have to make them successful that we dont have?????
How about the willingness and ability to hire a head coach who has an established record of winning at multiple programs AND knows how to 'play by today's rules'. WINK! WINK!

And, we will pat ourselves on our back while we will continue down that sanctimonious road to mediocrity.

Firing a head coach during the season is stupid, plain and simple. That said, unless he finishes .500 in conference play, I think he's gone.

Reactions: turncock
Watch us lose to UGA and then go on a 5 game winning streak, to get everyone's hopes up that maybe he turned it around, we end up getting to about .500 in SEC play and having "bubble" dreams only to go one and done in the SEC tournament... You can hear it now... he's so close and just needs a little more time....
Rerun.

Lets not forget that the main thing that caused issues around the FM/USC basketball stuff with the state legislature was the enormous payout the school had just given Will Muschamp....which was negotiated by Ray Tanner. Ray Tanner not being accountable for current dumpster fire status of Carolina basketball is bogus.
Frank received a contract extension in April of this year that extended his contract through the 2025 season. I don't think the buyout will EVER become an issue with firing Frank - even if it happens at the end of this season.

Martin's buyout -- the sum owed if he's fired without cause -- would have been $6.5 million this offseason, but under the terms of the extension, his new buyout figure can't exceed $3 million over the next two seasons, and the university will not owe him a buyout if they decides to part ways with Martin in the final two years of the deal.

Reactions: rogue cock
Just curious - but why do you believe our AD has so little in the coffers for a rainy day? I've read a few times over the years that SC is in the Top 20-25 most profitable programs in the country - pulling in close to $30 million a year. Seems like they would have a little more in reverses if that is in fact the case? Maybe it's advantageous from a fund raising standpoint to regularly have a EOY P/L around breakeven?
Servicing of the LT bond financing on all the new facilities and improvements that were built during the Hyman and Tanner administrations. We had a lot of catching up to do on facilities and the private donations we recieved for those projects were enough to allow us to go to the legislature and get bond approval for the remainder of the projects. The state also has a cap on the amount of debt the athletic fundraising each school has for building new facilities....any amount of debt over that cap is much more difficult to get approval from the legislature.

Servicing of the LT bond financing on all the new facilities and improvements that were built during the Hyman and Tanner administrations. We had a lot of catching up to do on facilities and the private donations we recieved for those projects were enough to allow us to go to the legislature and get bond approval for the remainder of the projects. The state also has a cap on the amount of debt the athletic fundraising each school has for building new facilities....any amount of debt over that cap is much more difficult to get approval from the legislature.
Thanks Rogue.

Reactions: rogue cock
I do actually think a UGA loss does it. There’s no reason to lose that game. UGA takes the cake for futility this season.

UGA men's basketball is pathetic...if we lose to them in our next game, will that be the nail in the coffin for Frank?
I think if Carolina wins, he might get throught the end of the season. If Frank is not let go, then I am now on the train
to let Ray Tanner go...Maybe the new president will jump in and say enough is enough...
Nah, Ray thinks Frank has a Warchest of Credibility.

Mixed blessing Bruce Pearl...

I certainly hope we win, but if we lose OR only win by a couple, we all know what needs to happen....Frank needs to find quarters elsewhere....I'm beginning to want Tanner gone as well...

Some of us Gamecocks have more footsteps behind us than in front of us, so it's time to hire an athletic director who will take immediate action when a program is not producing, winning championships cause some of us won't live long enough to see the possibility of an SEC Men's Basketball or Football Championship....UGA just won one after 40 years...I'll be long gone in 40 years...

It's seems we are on an upswing in most of the sports we participate in, BUT men's basketball is the drag on the department.....

Reactions: mavcock
I certainly hope we win, but if we lose OR only win by a couple, we all know what needs to happen....Frank needs to find quarters elsewhere....I'm beginning to want Tanner gone as well...

Some of us Gamecocks have more footsteps behind us than in front of us, so it's time to hire an athletic director who will take immediate action when a program is not producing, winning championships cause some of us won't live long enough to see the possibility of an SEC Men's Basketball or Football Championship....UGA just won one after 40 years...I'll be long gone in 40 years...

It's seems we are on an upswing in most of the sports we participate in, BUT men's basketball is the drag on the department.....
Tanner is not the reason Martin is still here.

Reactions: atl-cock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT