ADVERTISEMENT

If we win 2 and lose in title game

GeauxCocks7

Aug 4, 2015
What are our chances? They have SEC and Big 10 teams with similar overall records that are on bubble with good chance of getting in. They have Big 10 and Big 12 teams with conference records 4-5 games under .500 getting in. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me

We'll be 1st team out.

Well, since Vandy, Mizzou, Arkansas and Georgia are already out, and two additional teams will be eliminated tonight, I can provide my personal guarantee that South Carolina will not be the first team out, despite the vitriolic and self-loathing commentary of some.

OP, if Carolina makes it to the tourney championship game with the two wins in your scenario, they would have approximately a 51% chance of getting in, per some recent reporting. Basically a coin toss.

Have to get past Auburn tomorrow, and if that happens, it will be the winner of Florida and LSU. Tough sledding for sure.

Well, since Vandy, Mizzou, Arkansas and Georgia are already out, and two additional teams will be eliminated tonight, I can provide my personal guarantee that South Carolina will not be the first team out, despite the vitriolic and self-loathing commentary of some.

OP, if Carolina makes it to the tourney championship game with the two wins in your scenario, they would have approximately a 51% chance of getting in, per some recent reporting. Basically a coin toss.

Have to get past Auburn tomorrow, and if that happens, it will be the winner of Florida and LSU. Tough sledding for sure.

He means 1st team left out of the tournament, I.e. the team closest to getting in but doesn’t.

Last Four In- closest to not making it, but do

First Four Out- closest to making it, but don’t

He means 1st team left out of the tournament, I.e. the team closest to getting in but doesn’t.

Last Four In- closest to not making it, but do

First Four Out- closest to making it, but don’t

Yep, that's what I meant.

Reactions: GandBinNC
We will probably get a text message that we are in and then won't hear our name called on the selection show.

Reactions: DrMickey

Yep. This. For some the losses are everything and the wins have no impact on the narrative.

Clear-cut and unambiguous. I like that.
images

Reactions: king ward
They’ll never give this team the benefit of the doubt. We’ll not jusssst make it. We’ll have to earn it the hard way.
We're the Rodney Dangerfield of college sports.

(Which reminds me #FREEROD) :D

exactly.... Gonzaga got beat, that filled one at-large seat.. I predict a couple more to upset the "Apple Cart" lets hope one is SC.., because IMO that is Only way they get in!! Too many early losses, they will come back to haunt you..
St. Mary's beating Gonzaga may be the nail in our coffin. Gonzaga was going in regardless, but now St.Mary's gets in due to winning the auto conference bid.

Reactions: king ward
Way too many teams ahead of us in the pecking order to get an at large bid now. Have to win the tournament.

This team has the capacity to beat Auburn, if Auburn runs cold. And could beat UF if they get by LSU.... LSU, even with their issues is probably too athletic for South Carolina. I don't think this team can beat either Tennessee or UK.

Would be a very South Carolina and Frank Martin outcome to win two games in the tournament, then get soundly beaten in the final game, so Frank can moan about being left out of the tournament despite a great SEC regular and post season. Then all the fans will fight with each other about what that means.

Way too many teams ahead of us in the pecking order to get an at large bid now. Have to win the tournament.

This team has the capacity to beat Auburn, if Auburn runs cold. And could beat UF if they get by LSU.... LSU, even with their issues is probably too athletic for South Carolina. I don't think this team can beat either Tennessee or UK.

Would be a very South Carolina and Frank Martin outcome to win two games in the tournament, then get soundly beaten in the final game, so Frank can moan about being left out of the tournament despite a great SEC regular and post season. Then all the fans will fight with each other about what that means.
Perceptive appraisal of the dynamics at play here.

Do we really want to go to the nit??

People who do not want us to go to the NIT cannot truly be fans or truly understand what is required for the program to rise up. Of course going to the NCAAT is the more preferred option, but for a program that has struggled to have winning seasons, and going to post-season tournaments of ANY kind, making the NIT is very important for establishing positive momentum and possibly ending the season on a winning note, and hopefully carrying that momentum into next season. AND also hopefully, helping the team start next season on a stronger note, so we don't have another season like this one.

I understand that when we were under Odom, it seemed like we were going to the NIT every year, and that's not good, because there is still one step higher that the program should shoot for. But the program will struggle to build off of any NCAAT success - even a Final Four - if we keep book-marking those years with .500 seasons at home while everyone else is playing in tournaments.

Establish SOME kind of successful seasons and post-season play, and work to build off of that with better success later on, like regular NCAAT appearances. It's hard to recruit good players to USC if all we can sell is possibly winning 1 more game than we lose, every season. The last time we played in the NIT, the team was hamstrung with it's top player injured, and 4-5 other players suddenly suspended, and ultimately dismissed. This season we could make some noise in the NIT, with Lawson returning to the lineup....

Don't blame the selection committee for the team laying an egg during the ooc schedule. At some point we have to learn: if you leave your fate up to the committee to decide, you may very well be disappointed.

Reactions: cockofdawn
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT