ADVERTISEMENT

I'm in for Shane Beamer....

vidaliagamecock

Nov 20, 2001
Because why not? He is the exact opposite of 2 of our last 3 hires. Not a retread old coach and not Muschamp who was the only candidate standing while we struck out on the other choices. He is young, works in a great offense, loves the school, knows the state, and can recruit.

Napier also fits the bill

Because why not? He is the exact opposite of 2 of our last 3 hires. Not a retread old coach and not Muschamp who was the only candidate standing while we struck out on the other choices. He is young, works in a great offense, loves the school, knows the state, and can recruit.

You are a smart man (or woman).

I gotta say that I love this post. I would rather have a guy who knows who he is not, and therefore, knows what he needs to hire and who he needs to hire. At this point we need self-awareness, consistency and stability.

I wouldn’t have an issue with this one. He might be the first guy in a long time that would look at this as a long term job and not a steppingstone to other opportunities. People get hung up on big names but everyone has to have their first break and if he could build a great staff and just be a CEO type HC it could work. I would rather see him get the chance than a waking NCAA violation or the latest flavor of the month from the Little Sisters of the Poor conference.

Reactions: Gaimcock
Does the lack of head coaching experience concern you at all about Shane? I also find his current title with the Sooners, "Assistant Head Coach," be a little nebulous. I know he's a good recruiter with a familial pedigree, and he's worked here before, but he's apparently not even a coordinator at OU right now. I think jumping into this job, at this time, without prior head coaching experience could be a really, really tall task. Not saying he's not up to it, but if he succeeds it will only be a matter of time before he leaves for Blacksburg, IMHO, where Fuente is currently on the thinnest of thin ice. Still, I would like to hear the pro's and con's of Shane compared to, say, Napier, Chadwell, or the other non-Freeze, non-baggage candidates. And no, I won't think it's funny if someone brings up Jim McElwain.

I think if you look at Beamer then you have to look at Healy from Charlotte too.

Does the lack of head coaching experience concern you at all about Shane? I also find his current title with the Sooners, "Assistant Head Coach," be a little nebulous. I know he's a good recruiter with a familial pedigree, and he's worked here before, but he's apparently not even a coordinator at OU right now. I think jumping into this job, at this time, without prior head coaching experience could be a really, really tall task. Not saying he's not up to it, but if he succeeds it will only be a matter of time before he leaves for Blacksburg, IMHO, where Fuente is currently on the thinnest of thin ice. Still, I would like to hear the pro's and con's of Shane compared to, say, Napier, Chadwell, or the other non-Freeze, non-baggage candidates. And no, I won't think it's funny if someone brings up Jim McElwain.
He is no less experienced than Dabo was. We need a guy who cares about the University and will stay and grow here. There are no guarantees but we need to do something different. Think Opposite George.

I don’t know if Healy is ready for this yet, but he’s certainly worth talking to.

I agree on Healy, especially if Ray remains in charge of this and strikes out with Napier, Freeze etc. I think Charlotte dodged a bullet when Mike Houston spurned them to take the ECU job and they ended up with Healy instead. I would prefer to see him have a few more non-COVID FBS seasons under his belt before we considered him for HC but would prefer him being a back-up choice if/when Ray bungles this search, as opposed to another retread (hey Jim McElwain!).

Oklahoma thinks so highly of Beamer that they have made him the TE coach. Yes, he has a big title, “Asst HC of Offense”. There are two offensive coordinators on the team and the HC LR likely runs the offense, so the title Asst HC of offense is just a title. They game Beamer the TE’s and pay him around $450,000 a year. Now, just because no other team has called on him ever before to run their program, or their defense, or their offense should not be given too much weight. Many are crediting him for much of the success SOS had here, and are sold on his recruiting prowess, even though most of his time on various staffs over the years he barely registers, he is currently ranked #369 in the nation. Yes he was the RC Arc SC during that 3 year stretch where some of the best talent to ever come to SC did so, like Gilmore, Lattimore etc.. most years SC doesn’t produce a ton of elite talent though, and I remember it taking the OBC himself to close many of the elite players like Lattimore. Giving Beamer credit for those classes is fine, just know that as a recruiter he has not shown any extraordinary abilities in his other stops. I am not doing a bash Beamer post here, I just wanted it to get real.

I understand that he has worked under several big names as well as led our recruiting efforts in past with SOS. BUT... the lack of OC/DC experience not to mention not being a HC is troubling. If we were going to give that a chance, it should've been him instead of Muschamp in 2015. We're in a position that we've got to have a sure homerun hire with success running an organization. I think everyone has seen what Clemson was able to do with Dabo and thinks that it will happen here. While Beamer isn't a "horrible" choice, I'd say make Freeze or Napier say no to me before I went to Beamer.

It’s funny to see the complaining about Beamer’s coaching career when he’s never done anything but P5 coaching jobs but drool over Freeze who had one year as an OC at Ark State and one year as a HC at Ark State before Ole Miss hired him. I guess we are okay with Ole Miss rejects just not taking the chance they do to find out if a guy has what it takes.

I'm leaning towards Elliott or Venables if we could pull it off.

They've both been an integral part of one of the most improbable rises in College Football history.

And they both function like Co-Head Coaches on the sidelines. Serious attention to detail.

Reactions: vidaliagamecock
I'm leaning for Elliott or Venables if we could pull it off.

They've both been an integral part of one of the most improbable rises in College Football history.

And they both function like Co-Head Coaches on the sidelines. Serious attention to detail.
I just don't think Elliott would want to go head to head with Dabo on everything. I think Elliott thinks he will get the Clemson job if Dabo takes the Bama job.

You dont need to be a coordinator to be a head coach. You need to know how to establish a positive culture, motivate players, and HIRE coordinators that are smarter than you and know enough to evaluate them well.

This last part is why I think Shane could be a great fit. He has worked as an assistant on all three phases of the game. He has made ALOT of connections to excellent coaches at winning programs. Has been infused with the culture of winning programs.

It’s funny to see the complaining about Beamer’s coaching career when he’s never done anything but P5 coaching jobs but drool over Freeze who had one year as an OC at Ark State and one year as a HC at Ark State before Ole Miss hired him. I guess we are okay with Ole Miss rejects just not taking the chance they do to find out if a guy has what it takes.
Give me a successful HC from the FCS or nonP5 BCS crowd over a lifetime position coach in P5 all day long. You realize the examples you gave for Freeze were as an OC and as a HC right?

Which would you rather have, a coach that was fired from his last gig due to failure to meet expectations in the W-L, or an up and coming coach looking for his first head coach job? Beamer has loads of experience working with many different coaching types. I haven't seen his name thrown around much in the past. Maybe he hasn't thrown his hat in because he wanted to be certain he's ready.
He was near the top of my wish list and I would welcome him, if for no other reason, I think he's a student of the game.

I just don't think Elliott would want to go head to head with Dabo on everything. I think Elliott thinks he will get the Clemson job if Dabo takes the Bama job.

Possibly. I don't see Dabo going away - especially not to BAMA.

He's the highest paid coach with the highest paid assistants.

Why compete with ghosts at BAMA?

He's making his own history at CU that could exceed that at BAMA.

Beamer wouldn't be my first choice, but he's intriguing for sure. He's also aggressive...I know this firsthand. We began to fall prey to Dabo's dirty tactics after Shane departed. While he was here, he hit Clemson head-on and won more than he lost.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT