ADVERTISEMENT

Open and honest discussion of HC Shane Beamer

ky-usc2020

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2020
Critics of South Carolina football coach Shane Beamer have not held back in expressing their discontent. They view Beamer as a coach who prioritizes theatrics over substance, accusing him of indulging in excessive on-camera performances during games. To some, his actions come off as disingenuous and more suited to the entertainment industry than the football field.

Furthermore, Beamer's post-game comments have raised eyebrows among his detractors. They believe he has a knack for overemphasizing minor details like onside kicks and orchestrating overly choreographed celebrations, all of which they see as attempts to inflate his own image rather than focusing on the team's performance. This has led some to question his coaching capabilities and authenticity as a leader.

Criticism extends beyond Beamer's behavior to his team's recruiting and on-field results. Some argue that his tenure has not yielded the desired improvements, leaving the South Carolina Gamecocks struggling in both wins and losses. Critics believe that Beamer's emphasis on showmanship and lack of accountability for team shortcomings have contributed to a less-than-ideal situation for the program. In sum, the negativity surrounding Shane Beamer's coaching tenure at South Carolina stems from concerns about his priorities, authenticity, and the team's performance under his leadership.

Please, Agree/Disagree with anything written above..

I dont dislike him at all, I just think Chadwell was such an obvious hire, I mean it couldnt be scripted any more perfectly, and Tanner just had to go against it just because fans said the hire had to have “SEC experience”.

Beamer has landed some splashy 5 star recruits, which is great. But our OL/DL play is so subpar its hard to say much that’s optimistic. The SEC is a line of scrimmage league and we are bad. We tried to plug it in with FCS transfers so I understand they’re gonna need a few games to mesh. But much of it isnt scheme, they’re just being physically overpowered, which isnt fixable in a month or two.

Also, the ****ing injury epidemic continues. I’ve followed Chadwells teams at NGU, Charleston Southern and Coastal, and none of them seemed to suffer many injuries at all. Whatever their programs were doing, mass injuries weren’t happening.

My problem is Beamer never had the resume for the job he is in and the results show....
As long as the fans keep supporting him as some sort of jester I know the BOT is fine with the money that keeps rolling in. Personally I judge a coach on one thing. His teams performance on the field.

I don't consider myself a hater or a sunshine pumper. I love my Gamecocks dearly but I try to be objective about what's going on.

Shane was brought here because he was on staff here during the peak of our 120+ years of football history and was integral in that stretch of success during Spurrier's tenure as recruiting coordinator and ST coach. I think Tanner wanted a hungry young coach that could connect with recruits and the fan base in a way that Muschamp did not. I am no fan of Tanner as AD and I will never forgive him for hiring Muschamp (or giving him that huge extension), but I think he is following the national trend of head coaches today where they are the CEO and face of the program (ironically made popular by Mack Brown when he was at Texas) rather than being leaned on as heavily for playcalling decisions (like Spurrier was).

I'm not ready to call for Beamers head after one disappointing game, nor am I ready to give up on this season. If you can set aside your anger about losing to UNC, there are a lot of things in that game that could point to a lot of wins this year if we can get some better line play.

Overall, Shane Beamer has consistently exceeded expectations here after taking over a total dumpster fire of a program. He took a 2 win team in 2020 to 7 wins in 2021 and 8 wins in 2022 including 2 wins against top 10 teams. And he beat Clemson already. If anything he is ahead of schedule, anyone with realistic expectations should be thrilled with where the program is versus where it was.

He is doing well in recruiting other than the 2021 class, where he only had a month or so to try to cobble something together. That 2021 class would ideally be comprised of a lot of your upperclassman starters today (only 2 guys from that class have seen the field) but we basically lost out on an entire recruiting class due to coaching change over and the pathetic state of our program at the end of the Muschamp era. So we are currently having to play a lot of underclassmen and transfers.

I think next year you see another uptick in wins as those underclassmen turn into older more experienced guys and Beamer's staff continues to upgrade talent at all positions.

Critics of South Carolina football coach Shane Beamer have not held back in expressing their discontent. They view Beamer as a coach who prioritizes theatrics over substance, accusing him of indulging in excessive on-camera performances during games. To some, his actions come off as disingenuous and more suited to the entertainment industry than the football field.

Furthermore, Beamer's post-game comments have raised eyebrows among his detractors. They believe he has a knack for overemphasizing minor details like onside kicks and orchestrating overly choreographed celebrations, all of which they see as attempts to inflate his own image rather than focusing on the team's performance. This has led some to question his coaching capabilities and authenticity as a leader.

Criticism extends beyond Beamer's behavior to his team's recruiting and on-field results. Some argue that his tenure has not yielded the desired improvements, leaving the South Carolina Gamecocks struggling in both wins and losses. Critics believe that Beamer's emphasis on showmanship and lack of accountability for team shortcomings have contributed to a less-than-ideal situation for the program. In sum, the negativity surrounding Shane Beamer's coaching tenure at South Carolina stems from concerns about his priorities, authenticity, and the team's performance under his leadership.

Please, Agree/Disagree with anything written above..
He’s as good as we could get at the time. It doesn’t matter who the coach is anymore — it has taken me to the age of 71 to realize we’ll never be more than mediocre regardless of who the coach is or how much money we spend on athletic facilities.

To some, his actions come off as disingenuous and more suited to the entertainment industry than the football field.

They believe he has a knack for overemphasizing minor details like onside kicks and orchestrating overly choreographed celebrations, all of which they see as attempts to inflate his own image rather than focusing on the team's performance.

People talk about Dabo the same way. But both Dabo's and Beamer's style resonate with recruits and their players.

Beamer is starting to see success on the national recruiting stage and if we can manage to win 8 or more games again this year he is going to be able to start pointing to sustained success instead of just selling a dream of a consistently successful program.

don-jock-napoleon-dynamite.gif

Shane was brought here because he was on staff here during the peak of our 120+ years of football history and was integral in that stretch of success during Spurrier's tenure as recruiting coordinator and ST coach. I think Tanner wanted a hungry young coach that could connect with recruits and the fan base in a way that Muschamp did not. I am no fan of Tanner as AD and I will never forgive him for hiring Muschamp (or giving him that huge extension), but I think he is following the national trend of head coaches today where they are the CEO and face of the program (ironically made popular by Mack Brown when he was at Texas) rather than being leaned on as heavily for playcalling decisions (like Spurrier was).

The only issue with Muschamp was that he was unable to hire competent coordinators. Everything else about Muschamp was great. He recruited extremely well in the pre NIL era where you could buy recruits. We're in season three of Beamer and he's showing the same problem as Muschamp, the inability to hire coordinators. Clayton White will end up the scapegoat after this season, so Beamer is going to be 0-2 in hiring coordinators. He took a giant risk with Loggains, and unless he vastly out performs his history, Beamer will be 0-3 in coordinators.

I'm not ready to call for Beamers head after one disappointing game, nor am I ready to give up on this season. If you can set aside your anger about losing to UNC, there are a lot of things in that game that could point to a lot of wins this year if we can get some better line play.
It's not just one game, the UNC is just highlighting the underlying issues.
Overall, Shane Beamer has consistently exceeded expectations here after taking over a total dumpster fire of a program.
You would probably be better off admitting that it wasn't quite the dumpster fire you're proclaiming. Muschamp left a lot of talent to create a core for the success the past two years. Pickens, Rush, Smith, Bell, Burch, Lloyd, etc that helped us win the past two years.

To Beamer's credit, he brought in Spencer Rattler which is why we beat UT and Clemson last year. But we saw what happened in the UNC game now that the Muschamp talent is leaving. The concern is also that Beamer got Rattler because they had a preexisting relationship. This past transfer portal class showed we may not get another Rattler again.

He took a 2 win team in 2020 to 7 wins in 2021
Now you're just being disingenuous. The 2020 schedule was an all SEC schedule so we went from 2 SEC wins in 2020 to 3 SEC wins in 2021. Muschamp's 2020 team would have beaten Eastern Illinois, ECU, and Troy.

Beamer is starting to see success on the national recruiting stage and if we can manage to win 8 or more games again this year he is going to be able to start pointing to sustained success instead of just selling a dream of a consistently successful program.

Where do you find us winning 8 games after the UNC game? It was going to be incredibly hard to hit 8 wins even if we beat UNC. Now it's almost going to be impossible.

Reactions: Cockytalk84
I think the topic is premature, and based on people assuming future losses because of the poor showing against UNC. Hell, we're trying to talk up Furman now as an opponent.

The thought is, well, if we have a losing season (or 6 wins) do we have a problem?

As of right now, Shane still overachieved his first two seasons. Any thought of this season knocking that train off its tracks should wait until the season is more complete. Our schedule is front loaded, so we should have a good idea around the half way mark, imo.

Edit: I should add, I'm bot saying it shouldn't be discussed. Just saying that I will reserve judgement for a bit.

I think the topic is premature, and based on people assuming future losses because of the poor showing against UNC. Hell, we're trying to talk up Furman now as an opponent.

The thought is, well, if we have a losing season (or 6 wins) do we have a problem?

As of right now, Shane still overachieved his first two seasons. Any thought of this season knocking that train off its tracks should wait until the season is more complete. Our schedule is front loaded, so we should have a good idea around the half way mark, imo.

Edit: I should add, I'm bot saying it shouldn't be discussed. Just saying that I will reserve judgement for a bit.

You're probably right. And we went ahead and gave the big extension last year so nothing is changing for 3 years anyway, even if change is needed earlier.

You're probably right. And we went ahead and gave the big extension last year so nothing is changing for 3 years anyway, even if change is needed earlier.

Hypothetically, if something bad were to happen this year, Shane isn't going anywhere this year anyway.

So 2 out of those 3 years are decided.

Now, 2 losing seasons (go look at who we are playing next year) and I wonder if that extension would hold up.

Hypothetically, if something bad were to happen this year, Shane isn't going anywhere this year anyway.

So 2 out of those 3 years are decided.

Now, 2 losing seasons (go look at who we are playing next year) and I wonder if that extension would hold up.

Good points. Next year is shaping up to be extremely rough with a new QB and the other talent losses.

Thank God i'm deploying with the Army and will be stuck in the middle east. Hopefully, I'll come home to a head coach vacancy.

• Haha
Reactions: Lurker123
We are what Kentucky was last year. Some decent talent here and there with a very weak OL. That spells a disappointing season for all Gamecock fans. Beamer did a poor job in the portal after last season. We lost more talent to the portal than we gained, and he did not fix the obvious OL problem.

I say give him a little more time, I am not a fan so far of some of his decisions, But WHO AM I to judge?? Everyone wanted Satterfield GONE, now we need to see what Loggains can do. lets PRAY last Saturday wasnt an indication... So i say he will probably be OKAY.

We are what Kentucky was last year. Some decent talent here and there with a very weak OL. That spells a disappointing season for all Gamecock fans. Beamer did a poor job in the portal after last season. We lost more talent to the portal than we gained, and he did not fix the obvious OL problem.
My hopeful optimism lies in the expectation that Beamer will be able to scheme & manage his way through this season. Time will tell.

Much like Kentucky's situation last year, we have some promising talent but a glaring weakness in our offensive line. It's crucial for Beamer to rectify this issue to avoid disappointing season(s) for Gamecock fans.

Additionally, I agree that a better job is needed in managing the portal more effectively to acquire players who can step in and bolster some weak spots..

Last edited:
Good points. Next year is shaping up to be extremely rough with a new QB and the other talent losses.

Thank God i'm deploying with the Army and will be stuck in the middle east. Hopefully, I'll come home to a head coach vacancy.
Thank you for your service in the Middle East. Your commitment to defending our nation and promoting stability in a challenging region is truly commendable.

Reactions: Palmetto Golf
I guess I kind of agree. I like Beamer and I’m not checking out on him yet. But there will have to be some drastic improvements at multiple positions to even be competitive. I want to see a few more games. I know a few people got injured. But if Beamer can’t change a tire that’s on him.

I keep thinking about Coach Prime and what he has done by taking a mess of a football program and turning it into a very competitive team that’s fun to watch all in the time of a single off season. I could’t turn that game off it was so good.
Then here comes S. Carolina causing me to choke on a piece of steak when I see how bad they are. I think we are way to soft at multiple, multiple positions to change much during this season. I hope to be proved wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: cockofdawn
The only issue with Muschamp was that he was unable to hire competent coordinators. Everything else about Muschamp was great. He recruited extremely well in the pre NIL era where you could buy recruits. We're in season three of Beamer and he's showing the same problem as Muschamp, the inability to hire coordinators. Clayton White will end up the scapegoat after this season, so Beamer is going to be 0-2 in hiring coordinators. He took a giant risk with Loggains, and unless he vastly out performs his history, Beamer will be 0-3 in coordinators.

It's not just one game, the UNC is just highlighting the underlying issues.

You would probably be better off admitting that it wasn't quite the dumpster fire you're proclaiming. Muschamp left a lot of talent to create a core for the success the past two years. Pickens, Rush, Smith, Bell, Burch, Lloyd, etc that helped us win the past two years.

To Beamer's credit, he brought in Spencer Rattler which is why we beat UT and Clemson last year. But we saw what happened in the UNC game now that the Muschamp talent is leaving. The concern is also that Beamer got Rattler because they had a preexisting relationship. This past transfer portal class showed we may not get another Rattler again.

Now you're just being disingenuous. The 2020 schedule was an all SEC schedule so we went from 2 SEC wins in 2020 to 3 SEC wins in 2021. Muschamp's 2020 team would have beaten Eastern Illinois, ECU, and Troy.

Where do you find us winning 8 games after the UNC game? It was going to be incredibly hard to hit 8 wins even if we beat UNC. Now it's almost going to be impossible.

You know even Spurrier scuffled the first few years he was here mostly hampered by poor Oline play. He didnt even go to a bowl game in year 3. It really wasnt until Ellis Johnson got on the staff in 2009, Shawn Elliot in 2010 (with Beamer as the recruiting coordinator) did things start taking off for him.

Clayton White seems to have done pretty well with what he's had to work with. He really seems to be getting some good pieces in on defense in the last couple of recruiting classes. I agree Satterfield didnt work out but its too early to tell for Loggains. Right now Id say 1-1 on coordinators.

I think we have help on the way for Oline recruiting. Im not sure how I feel Teasley's ability to coach em up, I wish he had gone and gotten a proven guy. We need to make a move at the RB coach position this offseason. Hardesty has contributed nothing to recruiting since being here and has shown nothing to suggest he is capable of developing RB talent.

Beamer's staff has brought in a lot of talent from the portal besides Rattler. Jalen Brooks, Juice Wells, Jordan Strachan, ect. And like I said the change of coaching staff sunk our 2021 recruiting class, thats not Beamers fault. The program was broken and needed new direction.

Muschamp left a couple talented individual players, but not a talented team. I do not think the 2020 muschamp team would have beaten ECU or Troy in 2021. Muschamp's 2020 team beat a hapless Vandy program and an Auburn program that would also fire their coach that year.

I dont think this team is as bad as they showed Saturday night. Defense seemed to start putting it together towards the end of the game and If the oline play can improve some, I think we have a shot at winning against everyone else on the schedule except Georgia. Doesnt mean we are going to, but I dont look at the rest of the schedule and think we have no shot. You have 2 OOC games not named Clemson, a bad florida team, Vandy as likely wins. You get Kentucky at home (who you beat last year) and Miss state at home as slight chance to win. Mizzou, Texas A&M, and Clemson at home as toss ups. Tennessee and Mizzou as slight chance for losses but not impossible. Georgia in my mind is the only sure loss.

I think we beat Furman, Jacksonville State, Vandy, Florida, Mizzou, Miss State, and Clemson. Maybe we can catch Texas A&M too if the Fisher/Petrino marriage doesnt work out. If we are 1-5 in a few weeks, Ill eat my crow but I think we are going to start figuring it out this week and get it turned around by Florida.

Last edited:
I say give him a little more time, I am not a fan so far of some of his decisions, But WHO AM I to judge?? Everyone wanted Satterfield GONE, now we need to see what Loggains can do. lets PRAY last Saturday wasnt an indication... So i say he will probably be OKAY.

Although I am not a beamer supporter, never have been, & never will be, a change is not in order at this time. If Frank's Boy did anything since he has been here, by beating Tennessee and Klemson, he has earned the CHANCE to show us what he can do. Change Talk is currently Premature.

Unfortunately and I dislike my prediction but, unless Frank's Boy pulls off several 2/3 win seasons, we will see him at least another 7 years.

Taint gonna improve till we get a new AD & HBC.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Hmmm...

Our last 4 games were against ranked opponents:

- Plastered a blazing 5th-ranked UT team
- Beat 7th-ranked Clemson team for the 1st time in 8 years; Snapped their 40-Game home winning streak.
- Lost to 18th-ranked ND team in a game we controlled. Loose play calling in 2nd half cost us.
- Lost to 17th ranked UNC in first game of season. Pass game was good. OL/running game were terrible.

Pay attention to the results on the field. Off-the-field theatrics are modern day marketing.

Although I am not a beamer supporter, never have been, & never will be, a change is not in order at this time. If Frank's Boy did anything since he has been here, by beating Tennessee and Klemson, he has earned the CHANCE to show us what he can do. Change Talk is currently Premature.

Unfortunately and I dislike my prediction but, unless Frank's Boy pulls off several 2/3 win seasons, we will see him at least another 7 years.

Taint gonna improve till we get a new AD & HBC.
I do agree, change at AD is long overdue. The athletic department under tanner for men's sports has been nothing short of a disaster. Glad the Women's basketball team has done well, but that doesnt make up for a Muschamp football program, a Men's basketball program that made the NCAA once in since in 10+ years, and a baseball program that hasnt been back to Omaha since 3 coaches ago.

Yawn. - carry on.
Btw. Any one on this thread going to the FU game this weekend ?

Obviously, I want him to succeed. We can all gripe and complain that he wasn’t qualified for the job when he was hired, but none of that matters now. I haven’t checked out like I did with Muschamp after the Tennessee game in 2019 so I’m still going to plan to tune in when I can and hopefully make it down to WB at least once this season since I wasn’t able to last year.

My biggest complaint, like a lot of people’s, are the choices he’s made in hiring Satterfield, Teasley and Loggains. IMO, he should’ve hired someone with proven success over all of them, even if it had been at an FCS or G5 school. I wouldn’t be surprised if Hardesty and/or White are replaced after this season, Hardesty especially. Given his track record so far, that makes me nervous should he make a change at either position.

The other thing that frustrates me is how Beamer got annoyed/defensive when people questioned his choice of hiring Loggains. Sorry, but that’s part of the gig and that’s what happens when you replace an OC with very little success with someone who basically had even less success than his predecessor. If he doesn’t like it, then hire people that have better track record and gives us reason to be optimistic instead of pessimistic. I hope Loggains works out, but it’s hard to be optimistic after what transpired last weekend, but time will tell.

Obviously, I want him to succeed. We can all gripe and complain that he wasn’t qualified for the job when he was hired, but none of that matters now. I haven’t checked out like I did with Muschamp after the Tennessee game in 2019 so I’m still going to plan to tune in when I can and hopefully make it down to WB at least once this season since I wasn’t able to last year.

My biggest complaint, like a lot of people’s, are the choices he’s made in hiring Satterfield, Teasley and Loggains. IMO, he should’ve hired someone with proven success over all of them, even if it had been at an FCS or G5 school. I wouldn’t be surprised if Hardesty and/or White are replaced after this season, Hardesty especially. Given his track record so far, that makes me nervous should he make a change at either position.

The other thing that frustrates me is how Beamer got annoyed/defensive when people questioned his choice of hiring Loggains. Sorry, but that’s part of the gig and that’s what happens when you replace an OC with very little success with someone who basically had even less success than his predecessor. If he doesn’t like it, then hire people that have better track record and gives us reason to be optimistic instead of pessimistic. I hope Loggains works out, but it’s hard to be optimistic after what transpired last weekend, but time will tell.
I think finances played a role in some of those acquisitions, maybe all of them.

Everything else being equal, we would be rich if we were in the Sunbelt, or even the ACC or the Big 12. Our problem financially is the company we are keeping.

The money is just a convenient excuse to use when we fail.

But it would be dumb and ignore context. So it's not relevant.
The particular circumstances would establish the context, and under those circumstances, such a statement would be neither dumb nor lacking in context - nor relevance.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT