ADVERTISEMENT

Open and honest discussion of HC Shane Beamer

Harbor had no interest in really contributing on the field.
haters-gonna-hate

I think the topic is premature, and based on people assuming future losses because of the poor showing against UNC. Hell, we're trying to talk up Furman now as an opponent.
BULLSHIT!!! ..., I was the one and only one who stated that we better not overlook Furman.

Your thinking is faulty.

BULLSHIT!!! ..., I was the one and only one who stated that we better not overlook Furman.

Your thinking is faulty.

You may have started the thread, but you weren't the only one.

He’s as good as we could get at the time. It doesn’t matter who the coach is anymore — it has taken me to the age of 71 to realize we’ll never be more than mediocre regardless of who the coach is or how much money we spend on athletic facilities.
We have a "ceiling". I don't think we will ever win the SEC, much less the national championship. I think our "ceiling" is to be a Top 15 program, with an occasional Top 10 year. If we become that kind of program, I won't complain.

We have a "ceiling". I don't think we will ever win the SEC, much less the national championship. I think our "ceiling" is to be a Top 15 program, with an occasional Top 10 year. If we become that kind of program, I won't complain.
I agree. It is not pleasant to come to terms with but I think it is absolutely the truth. We don't have some of the basic things it takes to be in the CFP hunt, namely tradition and $$$ (not necessarlily in that order). I think the good years under Spurrier is as good as it will ever get. We should always demand/expect to be in the Top 20 but know that the Top 10 will likely be a bridge too far most years. Some would say that is a pessimistic view. I say it is realistic.

Reactions: gamecock stock

Guys, I used to think that way too. Then Clemson won two national titles in the last decade.

If they can do it, there is nothing that is preventing us from doing it other than our own bad choices.

Guys, I used to think that way too. Then Clemson won two national titles in the last decade.

If they can do it, there is nothing that is preventing us from doing it other than our own bad choices.
I hear you but so much has changed since then and already those changes seem to be tearing Clemson down. It is a different game than it was when Spurrier was here and even since Dumbo won up there.

I hear you but so much has changed since then and already those changes seem to be tearing Clemson down. It is a different game than it was when Spurrier was here and even since Dumbo won up there.

Yeah because Dabo's skill was buying players.

Imagine if we had 2011 Spurrier right now and were able to buy him a roster. We would have a chance.

Yeah because Dabo's skill was buying players.

Imagine if we had 2011 Spurrier right now and were able to buy him a roster. We would have a chance.
You probably are dead on with that thought but I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel today. I don't think we have the $$$ to really compete with the big boys. Georgia is spending the most because they can afford it and they are getting the pay back. That's an arms race we just can't win at.

If they ever get into the SEC and do it playing a SEC schedule over the course of a season, I will change my tune. But, even Steve Spurrier one of the greatest college football coaches ever did not win a conference championship here.

You probably are dead on with that thought but I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel today. I don't think we have the $$$ to really compete with the big boys. Georgia is spending the most because they can afford it and they are getting the pay back. That's an arms race we just can't win at.
The $$$ is relevant.

If they ever get into the SEC and do it playing a SEC schedule over the course of a season, I will change my tune. But, even Steve Spurrier one of the greatest college football coaches ever did not win a conference championship here.

Well yeah Spurrier didn't have NIL. He had to actually recruit and wasn't capable of it.

And they hired someone you would consider less qualified that Beamer.

The basketball coach told you and the FBI how they did it.

"According to assistant basketball coach Steve Smith, who has been on Clemson’s basketball staff since 2012, the Tigers were engaged in attempts to pay star basketball recruit Zion Williamson before he signed with Duke. On the video wiretap, Smith was speaking to former agent Christian Dawkins (who has since been found guilty and convicted for his role in paying players) and an undercover FBI agent when he brought up the success of Clemson’s football program.

“That’s why football is so successful, is if you do it and use resources at Clemson, like you can really keep everything tight,” Smith said on the video wiretap, according to Matt Norlander of CBS Sports."

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...s-football-program-can-keep-violations-quiet/

But you right about one thing for once. There is no reason South Carolina can't do it. It's called NIL. Whining on the internet, constantly bashing our coaches, and refusing to give even a little never won anything.

And they hired someone you would consider less qualified that Beamer.

The basketball coach told you and the FBI how they did it.

"According to assistant basketball coach Steve Smith, who has been on Clemson’s basketball staff since 2012, the Tigers were engaged in attempts to pay star basketball recruit Zion Williamson before he signed with Duke. On the video wiretap, Smith was speaking to former agent Christian Dawkins (who has since been found guilty and convicted for his role in paying players) and an undercover FBI agent when he brought up the success of Clemson’s football program.

“That’s why football is so successful, is if you do it and use resources at Clemson, like you can really keep everything tight,” Smith said on the video wiretap, according to Matt Norlander of CBS Sports."

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...s-football-program-can-keep-violations-quiet/

But you right about one thing for once. There is no reason South Carolina can't do it. It's called NIL. Whining on the internet, constantly bashing our coaches, and refusing to give even a little never won anything.
Beamer might have been a good hire a decade ago when being the bagman meant something. But yeah, we laugh about Dabo falling off then went out and hired a coach who has the same limitations in actual coaching.

If Beamer had been able to hire competent assistants then maybe he would have a chance to succeed. But Beamer has been even more unwilling to admit he was wrong than Dabo.

Yet we outbid everyone for Harbor….

The money thing is becoming an excuse for bad decisions by the staff.

We can buy 1 five star a year, most years. Georgia can buy 4 or 5 every year.

Money matters. If you haven't learned that by now, you're never going to get it.

We can buy 1 five star a year, most years. Georgia can buy 4 or 5 every year.

Money matters. If you haven't learned that by now, you're never going to get it.

Then maybe it’s better to buy a couple 4 stars then one five star who isn’t going to contribute.

Then maybe it’s better to buy a couple 4 stars then one five star who isn’t going to contribute.

Georgia does that too. Twice as many 4 stars as us.

Sorry. It's a money game now. That's just reality. Anybody that thinks otherwise is just living in another universe. Pay up or shut up.

La
Yet we outbid everyone for Harbor….

The money thing is becoming an excuse for bad decisions by the staff.
Last I checked, NIL money is available to all schools, not just South Carolina. And that would have been the case if Spurrier was the coach today. Thus again, he never won a conference championship while at South Carolina.

La

Last I checked, NIL money is available to all schools, not just South Carolina. And that would have been the case if Spurrier was the coach today. Thus again, he never won a conference championship while at South Carolina.

But how can you say we don’t have NIL money to compete when we are outbidding other schools?

But how can you say we don’t have NIL money to compete when we are outbidding other schools?
Where did I say that? I said we don't have a NIL advantage. NIL is available to all schools. Again, Spurrier never won a conference championship nor national championship while at South Carolina. And he is one of the greatest coaches ever. Thus, being a Top 15 program is our ceiling, in my opinion. I'd love to win it all. But if we become an annual Top 15 program, and that's it, I, for one, won't complain.

Reactions: GoCocksFight2021
Where did I say that? I said we don't have a NIL advantage. NIL is available to all schools. Again, Spurrier never won a conference championship nor national championship while at South Carolina. And he is one of the greatest coaches ever. Thus, being a Top 15 program is our ceiling, in my opinion. I'd love to win it all. But if we become an annual Top 15 program, and that's it, I, for one, won't complain.

Yep. And hope that everything comes together for a magic season every once in a while and gives us a shot to win it all. It's going to take a lot of things falling into place for that to happen. Us being a little better. Other teams maybe being down. A few lucky bounces. It can happen, but nobody here should think something is wrong because it doesn't.

Last edited:

You actually said we were at a disadvantage. While we aren't Alabama or UGA, we are still in the upper echelon of things.

You actually said we were at a disadvantage. While we aren't Alabama or UGA, we are still in the upper echelon of things.
I agree with Stu overall money, most likely. But NIL, you said that was advantageous to Spurrier making it easier for him to win the national championship or SEC here. And I said that NIL was not only available to South Carolina. It's available to all schools. So, there would not be any advantage for Spurrier.

I agree with Stu overall money, most likely. But NIL, you said that was advantageous to Spurrier making it easier for him to win the national championship or SEC here. And I said that NIL was not only available to South Carolina. It's available to all schools. So, there would not be any advantage for Spurrier.

The point was, I felt that Spurrier could outcoach other coaches. Do you really have that same confidence with Beamer?

The point was, I felt that Spurrier could outcoach other coaches. Do you really have that same confidence with Beamer?
You are changing the subject. Go back and read over my initial post. I was talking about South Carolina's ceiling. I said Top 15. And I stick to that. By the way, Spurrier, could outcoach other coaches when he was here. As great as he was, he still did not win the national championship or SEC here. So saying that Top 15 is our ceiling is a good conclusion.

Spurrier never won a conference championship nor national championship while at South Carolina. And he is one of the greatest coaches ever. Thus, being a Top 15 program is our ceiling, in my opinion. I'd love to win it all. But if we become an annual Top 15 program, and that's it, I, for one, won't complain.

While I don't disagree with where you are coming from, I have two counterpoints I'd like to point out.

Someone at Jawja had the balls to fire Mark Richt (145- 51), after 15 years, a 9-3 & Top 25 season, because he couldn't win the Big One. With two National Championships, under Kirby, I don't think anyone would argue with that decision. Win or you are gone.

The other point is just pure personal philosophy. If you only aspire to become an annual Top 15 program, you'll never obtain it and, infact, will be exactly where we are right now ... accepting scraps. A sculptor isn't satisfied with a pretty darn good piece of work. It's human nature to strive for excellence and not accept mediocrity.

But, like I already said .... I hear ya brother.

You are changing the subject. Go back and read over my initial post. I was talking about South Carolina's ceiling. I said Top 15. And I stick to that. By the way, Spurrier, could outcoach other coaches when he was here. As great as he was, he still did not win the national championship or SEC here. So saying that Top 15 is our ceiling is a good conclusion.

No, you're changing the subject and not using logic.

If you're saying our recruiting ceiling is top 15. Why couldn't a coach like Spurrier take top 15 talent and coach them up to being top 10 or top 5?

And the fact we finished 4th in 2013 would say our ceiling is higher than you're saying.

While I don't disagree with where you are coming from, I have two counterpoints I'd like to point out.

Someone at Jawja had the balls to fire Mark Richt (145- 51), after 15 years, a 9-3 & Top 25 season, because he couldn't win the Big One. With two National Championships, under Kirby, I don't think anyone would argue with that decision. Win or you are gone.

The other point is just pure personal philosophy. If you only aspire to become an annual Top 15 program, you'll never obtain it and, infact, will be exactly where we are right now ... accepting scraps. A sculptor isn't satisfied with a pretty darn good piece of work. It's human nature to strive for excellence and not accept mediocrity.

But, like I already said .... I hear ya brother.
Oh, I would never be satisfied with less than a national championship. What I said in my initial post was that if all we became was an annual Top 15 program, I would not complain. There's a difference in my mind with complaining and satisfaction. It's like if my investments doubled in a year. but others' tripled in that span of time, I would not complain about the double. But, I would not be satisfied and thus would strive to do better than a double.

Peace.

No, you're changing the subject and not using logic.

If you're saying our recruiting ceiling is top 15. Why couldn't a coach like Spurrier take top 15 talent and coach them up to being top 10 or top 5?

And the fact we finished 4th in 2013 would say our ceiling is higher than you're saying.
Sheesh. You are either intentionally misreading what I'm posting or you are not comprehending. I'm saying being an annual Top 15 program is our ceiling. I said nothing about recruiting results. And based on my knowledge of numbers, number 4 is within the Top 15. You can finish in the Top 15 without winning the SEC and, of course, the national championship.

Some here have accused you of being a clemson fan in disguise. I defended you in the past and said you are not (and I stick to that, as well). I believe you want what's best for USC. So, do I. If you believe that more than an annual Top 15 program is our ceiling, I HOPE YOU ARE RIGHT. I WANT YOU TO BE RIGHT. So far, you are not right.

Sheesh. You are either intentionally misreading what I'm posting or you are not comprehending. I'm saying being an annual Top 15 program is our ceiling. I said nothing about recruiting results. And based on my knowledge of numbers, number 4 is within the Top 15. You can finish in the Top 15 without winning the SEC and, of course, the national championship.

I don't think you're making sense with your posting. Just for reference when people say a ceiling of Top 15, that generally means that they think 15th is your ceiling. Not that you could win a national championship every season.

Some here have accused you of being a clemson fan in disguise. I defended you in the past and said you are not (and I stick to that, as well). I believe you want what's best for USC. So, do I. If you believe that more than an annual Top 15 program is our ceiling, I HOPE YOU ARE RIGHT. I WANT YOU TO BE RIGHT. So far, you are not right.

He's a full-fledged troll now. It's just rhetorical nonsense. Don't waste your time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT