ADVERTISEMENT

In sports, what are you sick of hearing about ?...GO !!!!!

I don't mind athletes supporting causes. I don't have to agree with them, nor do I expect them to agree with me. I think athletes have as much right to use the their platform as anyone with a platform. How seriously one takes them is up to them. I take everybody with a grain of salt.

That said, which is worse? An athlete using his fame to push causes he believes in or a corporation spending money to influence candidates?

As an aside, I don't think anybody truly grasps our problems until they are in a position to have to try and fix them. I deal fairly often with a lot of elected government officials at various levels and I can tell you most if honest will admit they had no idea what they were getting into until they got into it.

And I say that to admit that I have no idea how to fix the complex problems we face.
That's the big problem, someone that's uneducated on these situations are going to immediately champion the ideas of these stars because they are their idols.

I don't think that's a good comparison between an athlete's opinion and corporations that lobby.

Unless the athlete is a professional in that domain and has done a lot of research and has experienced, 90% of their opinion is emotionally based. White privilege gets thrown around a lot lately. Can I start to use the term athlete privilege?

Corporations on the other hand; their goal is to simply make money. If someone is using emotion to help influence policy instead of what's good for their business... they aren't going to be maximizing that investment at all.

No one expects you to know how to solve all these problems. What you do have to do is elect officials you believe will help guide our gov to solve these problems. Unfortunately both Democrats and Republicans prefer to spend their energy trying to get re-elected and avoiding risk to turning votes away instead of working to solve these problems even if they decision isn't popular.

That's the big problem, someone that's uneducated on these situations are going to immediately champion the ideas of these stars because they are their idols.

I don't think that's a good comparison between an athlete's opinion and corporations that lobby.

Unless the athlete is a professional in that domain and has done a lot of research and has experienced, 90% of their opinion is emotionally based. White privilege gets thrown around a lot lately. Can I start to use the term athlete privilege?

Corporations on the other hand; their goal is to simply make money. If someone is using emotion to help influence policy instead of what's good for their business... they aren't going to be maximizing that investment at all.

No one expects you to know how to solve all these problems. What you do have to do is elect officials you believe will help guide our gov to solve these problems. Unfortunately both Democrats and Republicans prefer to spend their energy trying to get re-elected and avoiding risk to turning votes away instead of working to solve these problems even if they decision isn't popular.

I agree with much of what you post, and, as an older white male, have no clue what privilege they're talking about.

But I do think the comparison of a famous athlete and a corporation is apt, since, as the Supreme Court ruled, corporations are people, too, and therefore have the same right to free speech as the rest of us.
Corporations use their money to lobby for outcomes they want. Some athletes use their fame/money to advocate for outcomes they want.
Both have much more influence than me, anyway. I don't expect to have to agree with either, but I suppose if I want them to hear my opinion were I to give it then I should be equally willing to listen to theirs.

I do think we might be better off extending the term of U.S. representatives to three years. Two years might keep them more in tune with constituents, but it also means they're forever running, promising everybody whatever it takes to get re-elected. Congressmen I know are in constant campaign mode, it seems.

Reactions: rogue cock
1. Jalen Hurts
2. What you know who eat at the white house.
3. Duke basketball.
4. Jeff2001.
"Clemson has more wins vs top 25 teams in the last four years than the entire SEC East has combined."

Was tweeted to me by one of my Twitter 'friends'. Is it true?

I'd list everything already said here, particularly all analysts and anything NBA. When all is said and done, underneath their talk it is all about "ME," and nobody else matters.

I actually like Vitale. Otherwise good list.

I'm sick of recruiting rankings and facility rankings and all that ballyoo bs.
I have no use for Vitale as a color commentator. All hype, no substance. It is just pure schtick at this point.

Reactions: Silverspur02
Herb Kirkstreet "young freshman" are there old freshmen!?!? Deja Vu all over again, this redundant! Herb Kirkstreet Drooling on himself when he mentions Clemson!

The "Get Back" guy.

That's the most ridiculous PR stunt I've ever seen but guys like Herbstreit eat it up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT