ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Report - December 2 (Early Edition; Clowney, Matias,etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
For those of you wondering about the Dr. Pepper SEC Fanfare event, on Saturday there is a South Carolina pep rally at 2:00 p.m. there. If you received your tickets from the university, you should have received one pass per ticket. If you have tickets and no pass to Fanfare, I have been told you can get them at the actual event at the door (held at the Georgia World Congress Center) for eight dollars. From what I was told you don't have to worry about them running out of tickets.

Football Recruiting

Alabama head coach Nick Saban is scheduled to have an in-home visit with Jadeveon Clowney on Wednesday; I wanted to update you with where things currently stand with his recruitment heading into that meeting.

Clowney is telling those close to his recruitment that he still wants to visit Florida State and possibly a few other schools. Florida State, as I recently mentioned, is currently scheduled to get one of those officials on the weekend of January 7. According to what I have been told, Ohio State, Miami, and LSU are some other programs Clowney has mentioned as being potential visit destinations which jives with what he's saying publicly as well.

I also told you not too long ago that Clowney did not like the recruiting process and was tiring of it. I asked another source about it who said it was still the case, that he had "been tired" of the process for a while now. Along those same lines, I'm told that he's not expected to make all of his allotted officials as things stand now.

Interestingly enough, I hear it's not a given that Clowney makes an official visit to Alabama based on what's he's said to some in his inner circle. He has said publicly several times he would, so we will see. I hope to have more on what his thinking is after Saban's in-home.

According to the guys over at BamaOnline.com, DE Leon Mackey is scheduled to make an official visit to Alabama this weekend. I'll probably know more about where the Tide stand with him after that trip, in terms of how much they are pushing and what Mackey is thinking. The Gamecock staff was still hearing the right things from Mackey during his official visit recently. Again, academics will play a part in this one.

I hear that Florida State may be jumping in with an offer soon to New Jersey OL Josue Matias. The Noles recently saw his film and are sending James Coley up next week to meet with Matias.

South Carolina may get an official visit from Matias, who has already taken officials to North Carolina and Wisconsin and will head to Florida this weekend and Rutgers on January 21. The other two schools in the mix for the final visit, I’m told, are UConn and FSU.

Matias’ decision will come down to the visits, but I’m told he likes the idea of playing down south. If I had to pick, I would call UNC the leader right now. Matias’ coach played for Butch Davis at Miami, and Matias really loved his visit to Chapel Hill. He does continue to have some questions about the NCAA situation there along with Davis’ job status, but the staff there is still saying the right things. G.A. Mangus will be up during the contact period after the SEC championship game to check up on him for the Gamecocks.
***NOTE***: In case you missed it, here's the link to the December 1 Insider Report.
This post was edited on 12/1 3:35 PM by Brian Shoemaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News