ADVERTISEMENT

Instant Analysis (Fla)

Josh Low

Gamecock Central Analyst
Jun 12, 2012
It wasn’t always pretty but South Carolina got a huge win today for the program. It is win number seven with still three games left to play and it guarantees that South Carolina will finish 5-3 in the SEC and at worse a tie for second in the SEC East. That is progress for Will Muschamp in his second year in Columbia.

The first quarter was really weird. It looked like at times that South Carolina was going to really break things open but turnovers killed them. I do think South Carolina controlled the game more than what the final score says.

Florida’s offense is terrible but I thought South Carolina’s defense dominated for the most part. Florida’s offense only had 33 total yards in the second half until the bust in the secondary late in the game. I thought the defensive line was really good once again. We are seeing Javon Kinlaw get better and better as the season goes along. He is becoming a force on the inside of that defensive line. The young defensive ends had good moments today as well. All of sudden the future of the defensive line looks a lot better right now than it did to start the season.

The defense was helped by a lot of penalties by Florida but I thought the pass rush was good and consistent. They also shut down Florida’s running game. They didn’t get 100 yards rushing in the game. I don’t think the secondary played bad but the injuries at safety did hurt.

The defense came up with big stops today when it felt like Florida was getting some momentum. South Carolina turned the ball over four times but the defense would get stops after the turnovers. South Carolina didn’t convert on fourth down, but the defense got a stop. That has been a common theme for this defense all year.

I felt like the offense moved the ball well for most of the game. They just continued to turn the ball over or couldn’t convert on Florida’s side of the field. Jake Bentley didn’t play well. I don’t know who was at fault for all of his interceptions but he has to protect the ball better. He can’t turn the ball over inside the 20 yard line two times and beat good teams. I thought he put the ball in danger more today than he usually does. He got away with a few as well.

Bentley did make some big plays. The run on third and long in the second half when it was a one-possession game was really big. South Carolina scored to make it a two-possession game a few plays later. I thought the pass to Shi Smith in the first quarter was a really good ball. OrTre Smith continues to play well at receiver as well.

I said that I didn’t expect much out of the running game going into this one and I was dead wrong. South Carolina rushed for 220 yards thanks to A.J. Turner, Mon Denson, and the offensive line. Turner is at his best outside the tackle and he had a lot of room to run today on the sweeps. He is becoming an all-purpose guy for this offense as he did some good things in the passing game as well.

Denson is the biggest surprise this year on the whole team. He runs with a good lean and low to the ground. I thought he showed a nice burst today as well. I think he is finding holes that other running backs haven’t hit this year. Turner and Denson combining for almost 200 yards rushing today is a huge positive for this offense.

South Carolina didn’t make it look easy today but it is still a win. They have a great chance to be 8-3 going into the Clemson game and I think 95-percent of Gamecock fans would have took that before the season started. Wofford is the next game up and it probably won’t be easy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News