ADVERTISEMENT

Instant Analysis (UT)

Josh Low

Gamecock Central Analyst
Jun 12, 2012
Excuse me for any errors as I’m on my phone doing this.

What a crazy game. The score could have been a lot worse at halftime but the defense limited the damage. South Carolina dominated the second half and was once again led by their defense.

It wasn’t a great start for the defense. They struggled against John Kelly and Tennessee’s running game in the first half. They weren’t great tackling. Jarrett Guarantano hurt them with his legs at times. It was mostly on scramble plays.

The second half was a different story. Tennessee is a bad offense and SC made them look awful in the 2nd half. I believe they only had 1 first down in the second half before their last drive and that was on the personal foul penalty on Taylor Stallworth after the sack.

The defense shut down the Tennessee running game and shut down their best player, Kelly.

I thought the DL followed up a good performance against Arkansas with another good one today. DJ Wonnum had another great game. Dante Sawyer continues to make big plays.

Skai Moore and Chris Lammons were 2 others with big games. Moore was big against the run. I think Lammons is quietly having a really good season.

The secondary did have a bust on the last drive that can’t happen. Other than that, another really good defensive performance.

The offense was a mixed bag once again. The first half was ugly. Rico Dowdle getting injured hurt. The OL wasn’t good. There were some drops from the WRs and Jake Bentley never got comfortable. They were bad on 3rd downs.

Everything changed in the second half, especially third downs. They made some huge third downs. Bentley started getting rid of the ball quick. He threw some real impressive out routes today.

The 95 yard drive was huge. Bentley also kept it more today and did some damage with his legs.

The running game for the second straight week came alive in the second half. AJ Turner really stepped up. Ty’Son Williams and Mon Denson both did some good things. The offensive line also played better.

I don’t see Tennessee having much success the rest of the year but this was still a huge win for SC. They played a Tennessee team that was desperate for a win and found a way to beat them in their house. They now go into a bye week where they should get some OL back healthy. Vandy is another very winnable game at home.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News