ADVERTISEMENT

Is it better for SEC if Bama loses to UGA?

sclawman77

Jun 27, 2011
I don't see how you can deny Bama a spot in the playoff regardless of the SEC championship outcome.

If Bama loses, they're out. The SEC should only get one team.

You can't deny an undefeated ACC team or an undefeated Notre Dame. It would be hard to deny OSU or Oklahoma after they beat ranked opponents in their conference championships.

Alabama's resume would be wins over ranked teams 7 LSU, 18 Miss State, and 22 aTm.

Ohio State would have 12 Penn State, 4 Michigan, and 19 Northwestern.

Oklahoma would have 25 Iowa State, 13 West Virginia, and 14 Texas.

Don't get me wrong - Alabama is a fantastic team. They'll be a fantastic team for as long as Saban wishes to coach. But the timing of a loss should keep them out. If they aren't, then we'll see the same teams in the playoffs almost every year.

Reactions: jeff2001

You can't deny an undefeated ACC team or an undefeated Notre Dame. It would be hard to deny OSU or Oklahoma after they beat ranked opponents in their conference championships.

Alabama's resume would be wins over ranked teams 7 LSU, 18 Miss State, and 22 aTm.

Don't get me wrong - Alabama is a fantastic team. They'll be a fantastic team for as long as Saban wishes to coach. But the timing of a loss should keep them out. If they aren't, then we'll see the same teams in the playoffs almost every year.

Losing to Auburn in the Iron Bowl didn't keep them out last season. That's only one week earlier than the SECCG.

Reactions: sclawman77

So losing to #4 UGA should drop them out? Don't agree. They've dominated solid competition all year. Similar to how they got in last year. Late loss didn't hurt them due to who they played and beat.

So losing to #4 UGA should drop them out? Don't agree. They've dominated solid competition all year. Similar to how they got in last year. Late loss didn't hurt them due to who they played and beat.
It's an interesting argument. If Bama does lose to UGA, then how would you reconcile UGA not getting in behind OSU or Oklahoma (assuming both win their CC game ). Both teams would be a 1 loss team, but Bama lost the championship game.

The difference last year was that all the participants already had at least 1 loss.

I do agree - the P5 teams should win their conference championship before getting an invitation. That's twice now that Alabama has played for (and won) a championship without winning the conference championship. Imagine if we had to watch a Texas/Oklahoma rematch for the national championship.

Gamecocks should want a variety of teams in the playoffs from year to year, otherwise we'll see Clemson in it every single year.

If Bama loses, they're out...
Once you made that statement, everything else was moot. They can lose Saturday and be in the playoffs. They just can't lose badly. If they win, that eliminates Georgia, and either OU or OSU, should they win, will get in. If both win, I say Ohio State gets in. Probable playoff field: Bama, UPC, ND, OSU. Possible playoff field: Bama, UGA, ND, UPC.

Uga 24 Bama 21. Both get in and sec gets a HUGE payday. Just do it. Sec wins another national championship.

Reactions: 92Pony

Here's an issue no one is talking about in the media...

Notre Dame is essentially an ACC team that simply replaced a couple ACC cupcakes with PAC-12 cupcakes. They played no one except a decent Vandy team this year.

Make no mistake: the awful ACC is getting two teams in this year - and at least one of them is WAY over-rated.

If they allow an "independent" ND in without winning a conference championship, they need to expand the playoffs to 8 minimum. That is what needs to be shouted from the rooftops (and you heard it here first).

Reactions: 92Pony
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT