ADVERTISEMENT

Is it really fair that ND does not have to play a Conference Championship Game

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
when all of the Power 5 Conferences have to play a 13th game? For example, it is very possible that UGA could beat Bama next week. Bama just finished a hard fought game with Auburn, regardless of the score it was hard fought. Now they are going to have to play a very hard fought game with UGA next week and could possibly lose the game. Gosh, I hope they don't lose to UGA because if Bama does lose that game it all but gives the NC Game to quempsum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brace1
when all of the Power 5 Conferences have to play a 13th game. For example, it is very possible that UGA could beat Bama next week. Bama just finished a hard fought game with Auburn, regardless of the score it was hard fought. Now they are going to have to play a very hard fought game with UGA next week and could possibly lose the game. Gosh, I hope they don't lose to UGA because if Bama does lose that game it all but gives the NC Game to quempsum.
Clemson will still have to play Bama or Georgia and ND I believe.

ND has the highest ranked SOS of the current top 4 teams, including Bama.

Pull up their schedule and look at it. Really look at it and then ask yourself the obvious question...how in the hell is that SOS determined? Because however it's determined is a freaking joke.

Was telling my wife the other day that all the selection committee has to do is come out and say "Winning your conference championship game is the ONLY way to even be considered for the playoff spots." This would force ND to join a damn conference.

But that will never happen because for some reason the rest of the football universe puts up with ND being the spoiled little ****s they are. It's ridiculous for ND to even be mentioned in the playoffs. It's a wasted spot and as soon as they get their candy butts handed to them I'm going laugh my butt off. UCF would destroy ND.

They should have to play a 13th game to be considered for the playoffs! I hate that they automatically get considered, when others have to play a championship game that could knock them out! It’s wrong and I hope the NCAA does something about it.

Well, they play a partial ACC schedule so you know that part of it is a joke. I'm not sure how that schedule could seriously be considered difficult with those cake walks mixed in.

Their one SEC matchup went down to the wire with Vandy and we blew them out. Vandy should have won the game.

Last edited:
What's fair got to do with it? They're 12-0 and in the dance. Bama is in! Jawja would be in it if they hadn't punked out vs LSU! Who's fault is it Ohio St got blasted by Purdue? Clemons will be in if they win out if they lose

Reactions: cockofdawn
Not fair that Bama has Georgia and yet Clemsin has PItt. Especially after the schedule difference between those two thus far.

its as fair as bama getting in last year
NOT...... I will guarantee that if Georgia some how some way beats Bama, They get in again this year... They are by far the best team in College football. But id Georgia plays Flawless and Bama turns it over 4 or 5 times, then Bama and UGA SHOULD be in!!

I don’t think it sets up well for either if they lose. Call me crazy but if Alabama loses to Georgia they will be out. They would lose their conference championship game which is worse than losing in rivalry week. Also Alabama had help last year to get back in. Oklahoma will play Texas the team that beat them on Saturday. If they win that pretty much negates that lose early in the season and I think the final 4 would be:
1. Clem
2. ND
3. Georgia
4. Oklahoma

ND has the highest ranked SOS of the current top 4 teams, including Bama.
ND Schedule: You think that is a tough schedule?
Michigan: home
Ball St: 4-8 ND wins by 8
Vandy: 6-6 ND wins by 5
Wake: 6-6
Stanford: 7-4
Va Tech: 5-6
Pitt: 7-5 (Penn St beat by 50)
Navy: 3-9
NW: 8-4 (ND by 10)
FSU: 5-7
Syracuse: 9-3 (look at their 9 wins , pathetic)
Southern Cal: 5-7

You think that is harder than Auburn, A@M, Miss St, LSU, Missouri and now Georgia?? Georgia went to South Bend last year with all freshmen and beat them.

If system was fair, UGA and Bama get bye, Clemson, Ohio St, Oklahoma and ND play to see who other 2 spots are.

Instead the #1 team has to face #4 while the Clemson plays a pathetic Pitt and Ohio St plays NW.

Clemson gave up their most points Saturday night, before that it was A@M. Their elite defense is elite against pathetic teams. They knew all we could do was pass and they still couldn't stop it. U think Tua might throw for about 600 on them?

Is that SOS from preseason? I mean SoCal and VT aren't even bowl teams now. Michigan is their best quality win. And how do they really look after Saturday?

Reactions: roosterbell
I don’t think it sets up well for either if they lose. Call me crazy but if Alabama loses to Georgia they will be out. They would lose their conference championship game which is worse than losing in rivalry week. Also Alabama had help last year to get back in. Oklahoma will play Texas the team that beat them on Saturday. If they win that pretty much negates that lose early in the season and I think the final 4 would be:
1. Clem
2. ND
3. Georgia
4. Oklahoma
That would be a travesty if Alabama is left out considering what they have accomplished compared to the other teams you mentioned. A pathetic schedule with no losses does not deserve to be rewarded over a one loss team that plays and blows out everyone else.

All the more reason there should be an 8 team playoff.

Reactions: cockofdawn
That would be a travesty if Alabama is left out considering what they have accomplished compared to the other teams you mentioned. A pathetic schedule with no losses does not deserve to be rewarded over a one loss team that plays and blows out everyone else.

Bama IS IN... Regardless of what happens in the SEC Championship!!

Reactions: roosterbell
Want to be mad at an organization over it? Be mad at the ACC for allowing ND to make the ACC their b**** by joining in everything BUT football.
giphy.gif

Question. Is SOS adjusted week by week? Asking because I don't usually follow subjective type stats.

If Notre Dame had one loss, they would be eager to play a championship game this weekend. So there is good and bad to not playing in a championship game.

You say it's a travesty if Bama is left how but how is it fair to make UGA play them again after they already beat them. Bama has their chance. Beat UGA and your in. Don't and your out.

ND should, as posters mentioned, not be in if they don't play a conference championship game. Wish they were in B10. Would be some great games and really spark fan interest. ND can't let bygones be bygones as far a B10 is concerned. ND wanted to join back in 1920s but anti-catholic sentiment in B10 stopped them.

You say it's a travesty if Bama is left how but how is it fair to make UGA play them again after they already beat them. Bama has their chance. Beat UGA and your in. Don't and your out.

How fair is it that an undefeated Bama has to play a one loss UGA team for the conference title? They both played at LSU: Bama dominated, UGA got smoked.

IMO if you play in your conference championship and you are in the playoff running and lose you are done. No if ands or buts. NC teams win a championship when they play in one. I can understand a situation like last year. It’s not fair to Georgia to potentially have to beat them twice.

IMO if you play in your conference championship and you are in the playoff running and lose you are done. No if ands or buts. NC teams win a championship when they play in one. I can understand a situation like last year. It’s not fair to Georgia to potentially have to beat them twice.
You and I aren't the arbiters of fair. They have a committee of experts for that which looks at everything. I don't see where they have gotten it wrong yet.

Last edited:
If that were the case, It would be BAMA, Georgia, Ohio State and UCF (UCF had tougher schedule than the other "Undefeated teams in nation"..
Even if I bought into that, which I don't, how could the committee put a fringe team in with the "bigs", knowing that the fringe team had just lost its quarterback?

Reactions: Silverspur02
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT