ADVERTISEMENT

Is Muschamp gonna bring it?

JDishnell

Oct 23, 2019
When he was hired here, the knock on him was that he couldn't deliver an offense. It was the 800 lb gorilla in the room, except everyone was talking about it. Across the country, sports pundits opined on his second chance as head coach at USC and wondered about his ability to overcome his offensive blunders at UF. He responded by marching out and hiring...one of his OCs from his failed stint at UF.

When that predictably blew up in his face, critics dug in with the obvious observation that he had obviously not learned at his time from UF. He could not deliver an offense and either could not make good OC hires or could not stay out of the way of the offense. With the college football world having written him off and with all of Gamecock nation watching to see what he would do, he needed to deliver in a big way on an offensive coordinator. After all, this was OC hire #5 in a fairly brief head coaching career. This one HAD to go right. With all of the scrutiny, he marched out and hired...our WR coach who had no OC experience.

Now, he's back in the same position, for the 3rd time as head coach at USC: needing to deliver a BIG time OC hire and prove his critics wrong. Will he do it? Can he do it? We'll find out soon enough. An equally important question is: will any good OC want to come coach for him? The answer there is a pretty easy "no." But, like I said, we'll find out soon enough. Will he make the lazy hire of a Mike Bobo or Steve Addazio? If so, the writing is on the wall and Champ will be out of a job 1 year from now.

When he was hired here, the knock on him was that he couldn't deliver an offense. It was the 800 lb gorilla in the room, except everyone was talking about it. Across the country, sports pundits opined on his second chance as head coach at USC and wondered about his ability to overcome his offensive blunders at UF. He responded by marching out and hiring...one of his OCs from his failed stint at UF.

When that predictably blew up in his face, critics dug in with the obvious observation that he had obviously not learned at his time from UF. He could not deliver an offense and either could not make good OC hires or could not stay out of the way of the offense. With the college football world having written him off and with all of Gamecock nation watching to see what he would do, he needed to deliver in a big way on an offensive coordinator. After all, this was OC hire #5 in a fairly brief head coaching career. This one HAD to go right. With all of the scrutiny, he marched out and hired...our WR coach who had no OC experience.

Now, he's back in the same position, for the 3rd time as head coach at USC: needing to deliver a BIG time OC hire and prove his critics wrong. Will he do it? Can he do it? We'll find out soon enough. An equally important question is: will any good OC want to come coach for him? The answer there is a pretty easy "no." But, like I said, we'll find out soon enough. Will he make the lazy hire of a Mike Bobo or Steve Addazio? If so, the writing is on the wall and Champ will be out of a job 1 year from now.
Believe me or not, I like Addazio. He would make a good coach and a good fit , imho.

Reactions: Spursupalways
Believe me or not, I like Addazio. He would make a good coach and a good fit , imho.

What defines a good fit for Muschamp? Do we WANT someone who is a good fit for Muschamp?

He needs to make a hire that excites the fan base.

If we don't find a way to open up the offense and run a style much like Wake or Indiana, where it takes the pressure off the OL, puts the ball in "playmakers" hands and keeps a defense honest, we will continue to fight an uphill battle. The only team in the SEC that still thinks it is the 80s-90s is Georgia (guess that is why Chump/BMac ran the offense the way they did).

Players today want to play in a system that scores points and allows the lights to shine on them. We better go find "that guy" to ignite the Offense.

SC will always be at a talent deficit in the SEC and against Clemson, so we must have an offensive genius running our O. We not only have to get as much out of our players as possible by putting them in the very best positions to succeed, but we also must exploit every little opportunity that the opposing defense gives us. That's one huge reason we were successful with SOS, and it's the only way we will compete at a talent deficit that we'll never overcome vs UGA, UF, Clemson, A&M, etc.

Reactions: howard13
What defines a good fit for Muschamp? Do we WANT someone who is a good fit for Muschamp?

He needs to make a hire that excites the fan base.

I could care less if I'm excited by the new OC when he's announced. I do want to be excited when I see our offense at the opening game

Reactions: heavycock
I could care less if I'm excited by the new OC when he's announced. I do want to be excited when I see our offense at the opening game

I think you mean that you couldn't care less. If so, that certainly puts you in the stark minority.

The vast majority of the Gamecock fan base has eagle eyes on this OC hire. As it stands, there is zero reason to be excited going into next year.

I think you mean that you couldn't care less. If so, that certainly puts you in the stark minority.

The vast majority of the Gamecock fan base has eagle eyes on this OC hire. As it stands, there is zero reason to be excited going into next year.

I'm right there with you watching for the OC hire. My point is, Coach shouldn't be making any moves because they'll make the fans happy. He needs to bring someone in who he knows has a great offensive mind, and is an excellent teacher and coach. Name the best man for the job, whether or not the fans know him.

Reactions: JDishnell
I'm right there with you watching for the OC hire. My point is, Coach shouldn't be making any moves because they'll make the fans happy. He needs to bring someone in who he knows has a great offensive mind, and is an excellent teacher and coach. Name the best man for the job, whether or not the fans know him.

In principle I agree. However, the morale of the fan base right now is the lowest it's been in a good 20 years or more. Perhaps more than making a hire that excites the fan base, he CAN'T make a hire that appears lazy (Bobo or Addazio) and reinforces what the fan base already thinks about the offense. His hire of Roper appeared lazy. His promotion of McClendon to OC appeared lazy.

Reactions: Spursupalways
Muschamp needs to be told to leave the OC alone. Don't go to his meetings. Don't (mis)manage the clock for him. The OC needs to know he has the ability to call plays without BOOM! getting involved. In short, the OC needs to have more autonomy than the HC.

If we don't find a way to open up the offense and run a style much like Wake or Indiana, where it takes the pressure off the OL, puts the ball in "playmakers" hands and keeps a defense honest, we will continue to fight an uphill battle. The only team in the SEC that still thinks it is the 80s-90s is Georgia (guess that is why Chump/BMac ran the offense the way they did).

Players today want to play in a system that scores points and allows the lights to shine on them. We better go find "that guy" to ignite the Offense.

This point cannot be stressed enough, IMO. When Morris showed up at clemtech and implemented that style of offense, the skill players started to flow in; Watkins, Hopkins, Watson, etc. An exciting offense with those guys brought in more and better skill players. It became self-sustaining.

No great skill players want to come play in our boring style of offense.

This point cannot be stressed enough, IMO. When Morris showed up at clemtech and implemented that style of offense, the skill players started to flow in; Watkins, Hopkins, Watson, etc. An exciting offense with those guys brought in more and better skill players. It became self-sustaining.

No great skill players want to come play in our boring style of offense.

Well, we could go and hire Morris since he's out of work. I do question how much he actually contributed to Clemson's success, since he left after Watson's freshman year and Elliott and the Spawn of Fat Bradstard were in charge for their two titles, and given the total dumpster fire at Arkansas, but if he'd take the job and isn't totally inept at recruiting I suppose it couldn't be worse that where we are now.

Well, we could go and hire Morris since he's out of work. I do question how much he actually contributed to Clemson's success, since he left after Watson's freshman year and Elliott and the Spawn of Fat Bradstard were in charge for their two titles, and given the total dumpster fire at Arkansas, but if he'd take the job and isn't totally inept at recruiting I suppose it couldn't be worse that where we are now.

I think he was doing some good things in Arkansas. He was having to change Bilema ball/ Wisconsin offensive style almost like the coach at Georgia Tech is having to do with changing from option football to a more conventional offense. We could do worse than him in hiring him as OC

Reactions: NetworkX
FTR, I'm not advocating for him to come here...... You're correct in that while he implemented it, it really got rolling after he left.

Well, Brad was an OC at FSU and was taking over what Morris had built. I'm not inclined to give Brad too much credit, but he's knowledgeable enough to not crash the the car Morris built, so to speak. He was eventually demoted to OL coach.

Tom Allen is doing good things at Indiana. Kids apparently want to play for him and he has coached in the SEC. Was in the running for DC at Auburn after Muschamp left. Might want to take a look at him after our head coach leaves....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT