ADVERTISEMENT

Is Pastides actually "retiring"?...

1995Gamecock

Dec 8, 2016
Or is he getting out of a bad situation before it gets worse? I have been a huge Gamecock since I was born. I went to undergrad at USC, and am currently in grad school and for the first time in my life I feel like the University is in complete shambles. From the B.O.T, to administration, down to the athletic department there seems to be a huge disconnect, not only internally, but between the university and its donors/fans as well.

Because of a disappointing football season or something else? What's going on on campus to make you feel like it's in shambles?

Or is he getting out of a bad situation before it gets worse? I have been a huge Gamecock since I was born. I went to undergrad at USC, and am currently in grad school and for the first time in my life I feel like the University is in complete shambles. From the B.O.T, to administration, down to the athletic department there seems to be a huge disconnect, not only internally, but between the university and its donors/fans as well.

This is certainly a pointless, evidence-free post. Based on . . . .what? Your personal unhappiness with athletics and your projection of that unhappiness onto all other USC graduates? I don't know what you're studying in graduate school, but you're young yet and should probably wait a while before making such unfounded statements.

This is certainly a pointless, evidence-free post. Based on . . . .what? Your personal unhappiness with athletics and your projection of that unhappiness onto all other USC graduates? I don't know what you're studying in graduate school, but you're young yet and should probably wait a while before making such unfounded statements.
I said "seems". In no way am I saying there definitely is and was asking if anyone else has felt this way to see if there were others in the same boat. My dissatisfaction really ignited after they revealed this "rebranding" of a cheap and poorly designed logo without any sort of study/feelers about what the general reaction would be from students, alumni, and donors.

I think the US News rankings have value, but we also know that SOME universities (well, at least one) are working really hard to manipulate the data to get into the top of those rankings. If USC didn't keep increasing the size of the freshman class to accommodate an ever-increasing number of applications, the ranking would be higher. But would that mean they were better serving the state, the nation, the world? I have two children who attended and graduated under Pastides' tenure and I think he's our best president ever. (Of course, I was there for the Holderman years, so....)
Nice 1st post, btw.
Both Palms and Pastides has been trying to get the University an invite into the AAU, which comprises the top research universities in the country. One big issue that can not be overcome is the lack of state support for higher education in this state. It's frustrating...we've done most everything else....improved research library facilities, increased the number of endowed chairs, increased research dollars, greatly increased the university's overall endowment, etc...

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Please don't let Tanner be in charge of finding a new University President...

We may end up with Chad Holbroken or a fired University President with a chip on his shoulder...

I think you will find it pretty typical for a university president to have a 10 year tenure. Don't think its anything out of the ordinary.

HOWEVER, very interested to see how we botch the hiring of a new president

Don't see Mulvaney getting a legitimate shot. Not that he wouldn't do a good job, but with the PC crowd run amok in the educational system, I can't imagine anyone bringing an unabashed conservative. A conservatives mindset just doesn't fit their progressives ways and he might actually upset some snowflake faculty and studenys.

Don't see Mulvaney getting a legitimate shot. Not that he wouldn't do a good job, but with the PC crowd run amok in the educational system, I can't imagine anyone bringing an unabashed conservative. A conservatives mindset just doesn't fit their progressives ways and he might actually upset some snowflake faculty and studenys.

He's not qualified and why bring someone in who will alienate at least half of the alumni base?

Reactions: rogue cock
That's not accurate at all.

Correct....we are moving up, not down. Honors college bringing in over 500 freshmen per class with SAT averages approaching 1500.

We are on the fringe of the AAU.

All of this while pulling 60% of students from a state that is not exactly kicking ass in public education. Look at what UGA and UF pull from, despite being only little larger than us. Hell, Atlanta is as populated as SC. Florida dwarfs our state. It is no accident that UCLA and Berkley are top. Clemson is about the same size as it was decades ago...shave off our last 10,000 kids admitted and see what that would do for for the average SAT. Some schools heavily weigh SAT scores, others weigh GPA. The average of last freshmen class was 1250...this years class will be 10-20 points higher based on current offers and using trends from prior years.

I think we have some inherently negative fans...of course, those are the ones who likely reaching out for help.

Last edited:
Correct....we are moving up, not down. Honors college bringing in over 500 freshmen per class with SAT averages approaching 1500.

We are on the fringe of the AAU.

All of this while pulling 60% of students from a state that is not exactly kicking ass in public education. Look at what UGA and UF pull from, despite being only little larger than us. Hell, Atlanta is as populated as SC. Florida dwarfs our state. It is no accident that UCLA and Berkley are top. Clemson is about the same size as it was decades ago...shave off our last 10,000 kids admitted and see what that would for for the average SAT. Some schools heavily weight SAT scores, others weight GPA. The average of last freshmen class was 1250...this years class will be 10-20 points higher based on current offers and using trends from prior years.

I think we have some inherently negative fans...of course, those are the ones who likely reaching out for help.

WHY CAN'T THE PEOPLE OF SOUTH CAROLINA UNDERSTAND THE FOLLOWING:

' . . . shave off our last 10,000 kids admitted and see what that would (do) for the average SAT . .'

I blame USC for poor marketing/PR and Clemson for spreadinf mistruths!

Say what you will about the athletic department, but the university itself is getting bigger and better every year. Every time I go back to campus it looks a little bit different. It's amazing how much has changed and will continue to. It's truly a fantastic school.

Just wait 'til they finish the South Campus Residence Project plus some lead-ins in that area that haven't been made public yet.

We've got to start pumping up what we've got, but do it right. No more of this 'Here's your new quarter -of-a-million dollar logo that three drunks in Ohio drew up in the men's room of Bernie's Bar in Cleveland!'

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

WHY CAN'T THE PEOPLE OF SOUTH CAROLINA UNDERSTAND THE FOLLOWING:

' . . . shave off our last 10,000 kids admitted and see what that would (do) for the average SAT . .'

I blame USC for poor marketing/PR and Clemson for spreadinf mistruths!
I’m asking, not trolling at all. Help me understand why us shaving off the last 10,000 makes our numbers look better and Clemsux has been spreading mistruths.

I’m asking, not trolling at all. Help me understand why us shaving off the last 10,000 makes our numbers look better and Clemsux has been spreading mistruths.

It is just stats....based on our average and their 25-75% range and total undergraduate enrollment versus theirs. Simplistically, we have half of our students with an SAT over 1250 (about 13,500). Clem has 75% over 1220 (or about 13,500). Its not necessarily accurate, but just an estimate.

We have 9 Rhodes scholars. Not great, but not terrible.

As for clemson cheating

https://slate.com/human-interest/2016/10/public-universities-should-quit-chasing-rankings.html

I personally think that clemson is a good school. They should quit pretending that they are UVA or UNC, however. And they should work on diversity a bit, but their lack of it is part of why they are such a "family"

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT