ADVERTISEMENT

Is Smart the new Richt ?

No. It's just UGA. It's who they are. Been telling you guys this for 3 years. They just don't have that "elite" DNA. Never will.

I’m a Gamecock through and through...but what would we know about elite DNA in football? I bet most of us felt the same way about Clemson. UGA is headed in a good direction. Alabama may be the single greatest dynasty in modern college football and it’s taken them 2 storybook comebacks to beat UGA. Two classic battles the past two seasons. UGA lost 2 NFL ready RB’s and was right there in position to make the playoff again. I’d love for our program to get there.

I’m a Gamecock through and through...but what would we know about elite DNA in football? I bet most of us felt the same way about Clemson. UGA is headed in a good direction. Alabama may be the single greatest dynasty in modern college football and it’s taken them 2 storybook comebacks to beat UGA. Two classic battles the past two seasons. UGA lost 2 NFL ready RB’s and was right there in position to make the playoff again. I’d love for our program to get there.
I was thinking along those same lines. There was a lot of talent out there, but Bama has as much in the chest as they have anyplace else.

Reactions: Jpcooper
Georgia lost in overtime last year with a heroic effort by Tua. They win the National Championship otherwise.

This year it took Jalen Hurts to bring Alabama back from the dead. I don't think they win tonight without his effort and Georgia would be back in the playoffs.

Georgia is probably the second best team in college football for the past 2 seasons. There's no chance they would be where they are if Richt was still coaching them.

I don't really disagree with any of this. All I'm saying is it's kind of like that old quote: "A man's got to know his limitations."

Who are we gamecocks? We're a .500 team (barely) Is that not absolutely fair? To accept who we are? We know that. It's not a mystery.

Now, apply that EXACT thinking to UGA. They haven't been relevant in CFB in almost 40 yrs....despite all the "This ain't your mamma's UGA team" comments.

All I'm saying at the end of the day: Bottom line : "Yeah it is." Same team. Always tough nosed but comes up empty. Not quite elite but right there on the line. THAT's exactly who UGA is.

And YES, I'd love to be there too, but we ain't. I'm a realist. It is what it is.........

I don't really disagree with any of this. All I'm saying is it's kind of like that old quote: "A man's got to know his limitations."

Who are we gamecocks? We're a .500 team (barely) Is that not absolutely fair? To accept who we are? We know that. It's not a mystery.

Now, apply that EXACT thinking to UGA. They haven't been relevant in CFB in almost 40 yrs....despite all the "This ain't your mamma's UGA team" comments.

All I'm saying at the end of the day: Bottom line : "Yeah it is." Same team. Always tough nosed but comes up empty. Not quite elite but right there on the line. THAT's exactly who UGA is.

And YES, I'd love to be there too, but we ain't. I'm a realist. It is what it is.........

UGA won a couple of SEC Championships in the early 2000’s. National Title in the 80’s. Won 3 SEC Titles in the 80’s. That leaves one decade, the 90’s, where they didn’t win anything.

I guess the question becomes what does relevant mean? I’m not sure why tonight feels like a good night to bash UGA Football. Kind of makes those who are look foolish.

UGA won a couple of SEC Championships in the early 2000’s. National Title in the 80’s. Won 3 SEC Titles in the 80’s. That leaves one decade, the 90’s, where they didn’t win anything.

I guess the question becomes what does relevant mean? I’m not sure why tonight feels like a good night to bash UGA Football. Kind of makes those who are look foolish.

I'll be happy to answer you. "Relevant" means winning the whole thing. They haven't done that coming up on 40 years. (yes it's been that long) At the end of the day, I get very, very tired of hearing all the UGA yapping when HISTORY shows.....they ain't elite. Year in, year out. You can definitely hang your hat on that fact and if you're smart...win a whole bunch of $$$ on it. They are right there on the edge, but at the end of the day they always come up short. > See history.

I'll be happy to answer you. "Relevant" means winning the whole thing. They haven't done that coming up on 40 years. (yes it's been that long) At the end of the day, I get very, very tired of hearing all the UGA yapping when HISTORY shows.....they ain't elite. Year in, year out. You can definitely hang your hat on that fact and if you're smart...win a whole bunch of $$$ on it. They are right there on the edge, but at the end of the day they always come up short. > See history.

I definitely don’t agree with your definition of relevant but if that’s it...ok.

I’d say UGA was relevant the past two seasons and I’m almost positive 99% of other CFB people would say the same. Only 1 team wins the title. To me that doesn’t mean every other team in America was irrelevant.

I definitely don’t agree with your definition of relevant but if that’s it...ok.

I’d say UGA was relevant the past two seasons and I’m almost positive 99% of other CFB people would say the same. Only 1 team wins the title. To me that doesn’t mean every other team in America was irrelevant.

Yep, that's it. My definition. The natty. Everything else is irrelevant. UGA hasn't done it in nearly 40 years. Until they do = irrelevant. Heck, Clem$on is more relevant in CFB than UGA....and do you really think Clem$on has a snowballs chance in Haites beating UGA? Current rosters. No??? You're correct. Shows how irrelevant UGA is. It's like the clock being right twice a day. You can hang your hat on it. UGA NOT winning the natty? Like clockwork. Year after year after year.....

Yep, that's it. My definition. The natty. Everything else is irrelevant. UGA hasn't done it in nearly 40 years. Until they do = irrelevant. Heck, Clem$on is more relevant in CFB than UGA....and do you really think Clem$on has a snowballs chance in Haites beating UGA? Current rosters. No??? You're correct. Shows how irrelevant UGA is. It's like the clock being right twice a day. You can hang your hat on it. UGA NOT winning the natty? Like clockwork. Year after year after year.....

Ok...

Georgia nearly every season has really good, competitive teams, as does Clemson, but neither would I classify as elite in their football tradition. That category belongs to Alabama, USC, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma. Big time winners on a national level for a long period of time.

Reactions: allyourbase

Richt ran a very similar fake punt in the 2012 championship game only he didn’t telegraph that it was a fake by putting a qb in as the up man

Richt's teams were never this good, even if he did win the SEC one year.
This is what I believe too. I've always thought that UGA was a sleeping giant with their recruiting area. There is enough talent in Georgia for them to be in the top-5 in recruiting every year. They have an embarrassingly richly talented state and it was embarrassing that Richt didn't do more with it. They were never as good as they have been the last 2 seasons with the exception of 2007 where they came on strong but missed out on the SEC-CG because of an early season loss to us. How sweet it is to know we kept them from their glory. I think they had made it all the way up to #2 in the rankings but were kept out of the NC because they didn't play in the SEC CG.

Reactions: king ward
Georgia belongs in the playoff, Miami does not.

wahlberg_confused.gif

If your definition of irrelevant is not winning a NC, even if you played for one as UGA did last year. Then I'm interested as to what you think of our program.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddw1263
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT