ADVERTISEMENT

It's Happening! Texas and OU Coming to the SEC Early

i-sure-am-excited-randy-marsh.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Gamecockben1979
With all the hype Texas is fixing to go about 6-6 and I’m not sure with Venables if Oklahoma is going to be any better.

Reactions: bucketdad
With all the hype Texas is fixing to go about 6-6 and I’m not sure with Venables if Oklahoma is going to be any better.
If expansion was coming, it's better to be ahead of the curve than behind it. These are great additions that will be fun to see and will do whatever it takes to gain leverage and relevancy. The real problem around here is that our fanbase is afraid.

I say, embrace the mayhem. https://www.si.com/college/2023/02/10/sec-football-future-schedule-format-texas-oklahoma

Texas will be a monster.
I’m sure recruiting the SEC will help, but Texas hasn’t been a monster in about 20 years.

As a Falcons fan, I was never impressed with Sarkisian. He had all the tools of the team that went to the Super Bowl and they fell off a cliff quick with him calling plays.

If expansion was coming, it's better to be ahead of the curve than behind it. These are great additions that will be fun to see and will do whatever it takes to gain leverage and relevancy. The real problem around here is that our fanbase is afraid.

I say, embrace the mayhem. https://www.si.com/college/2023/02/10/sec-football-future-schedule-format-texas-oklahoma
I’ll enjoy having the chance to see a new stadium or two. Really not concerned with either. We were better than both teams this year and we won’t play them very often. If you’re going to compete in the SEC, you’ve seen teams as good as Texas and Oklahoma 3-4 times a year already. It may help us actually recruit those states even better. Beamer already has ties to Oklahoma and promising a recruit a game or two around home might help grab some guys.

I’ll enjoy having the chance to see a new stadium or two. Really not concerned with either. We were better than both teams this year and we won’t play them very often. If you’re going to compete in the SEC, you’ve seen teams as good as Texas and Oklahoma 3-4 times a year already. It may help us actually recruit those states even better. Beamer already has ties to Oklahoma and promising a recruit a game or two around home might help grab some guys.
Another thing to remember is you aren't just recruiting high schoolers anymore. Recruiting transfers like Rattler and Stogner, etc are just as critical and ties to OU can be a big help.

Great news! The SEC is now the SUPER power conference of the NCAA which means more $$$$ for all SEC members!
I think the SEC and Big 10 will be close to equal, but the other three (ACC, Big12 and PAC whatever) may be weakened. I just do not see the ACC, Big 12 or PAC whatever game of the week being watched more than the SEC or Big Ten game of the week.

Firstly, you'll play them much more often than you would have in a divisional format - assuming the 9-game schedule is adopted. Be not deceived. Those programs will assert themselves. They will not often dominate, but they will assert themselves. They will see what they need to do and then do it. Their resources will allow them to do whatever it takes. It's just a matter of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: swamp fox1
I think the SEC and Big 10 will be close to equal, but the other three (ACC, Big12 and PAC whatever) may be weakened. I just do not see the ACC, Big 12 or PAC whatever game of the week being watched more than the SEC or Big Ten game of the week.
No, not a chance. There are the Big Two, and then there's everyone else.

Great news! The SEC is now the SUPER power conference of the NCAA which means more $$$$ for all SEC members!
And it makes way more geographic sense than the Big 10's expansion, even though the Pacific time zone is a television plus. I wish we had an Arizona school - preferably Arizona State.

With the exception of men's basketball the addition of these two teams make the SEC more exciting. I can already imagine the first Saturday night showdown between Texas and Georgia (a rematch from the 1983 or 1984 Cotton Bowl).

With Trader Vic at Texas I can see some fierce games that will have an impact between South Carolina, Louisiana State and Texas in women's basketball.

In baseball Texas will create some intense baseball rivalries that will sure capture more viewers for TV.

Softball will be a super league. Oklahoma, Alabama and Louisiana State in the same conference. Wow

Not sure what Texas and Oklahoma bring to SEC as far as women's soccer.

I have been following South Carolina football since 1977 and far as I can remember since 1977 until South Carolina joined the SEC they played :

Georgia every year with the exception (1990 1nd 1991)
Kentucky two times (1978 and 1981)
Louisiana State (1982, 1983 and 1987 Gator)
Mississippi four time (1977, 1978, 1979, 1981)
Missouri twice (1979 Hall of Fame bowl, 2005 independence Bowl)

So those teams I would might consider South Carolina's SEC rival.

Since joining the SEC, South Carolina has played Georgia, Kentucky and Missouri every season and sporadically played Louisiana State and Mississippi.

So I think South Carolina's permanent three opponents with the nine game conference schedule should be

Georgia
Kentucky
Missouri.

Last edited:
I have been following South Carolina football since 1977 and far as I can remember since 1977 until South Carolina joined the SEC they played :

Louisiana State (1982 and 1987 Gator)

Since joining the SEC, South Carolina has played Georgia and Kentucky every season and sporadically played Louisiana State and Mississippi.

So I think South Carolina's permanent three opponents with the nine game conference schedule should be

Georgia
Kentucky
Missouri.
If the SEC thought we were Georgia's rival, for example, we would certainly wind up in their scheduling pod. But even in that case, Georgia has Florida, Auburn, and GT as historical rivals. We are not their rivals in any way that matters. Playing people all the time doesn't make a team a rival. We played Virginia EVERY year when we were in the ACC. Were they ever our rival?

Well, South Carolina had no obligation to play Georgia before entering the SEC which they did play a lot of games so that would indicate the two universities might think it is a rivalry. Far as ACC that was before my time, but with the exception of clemson, my father talked about North Carolina a lot so I guess that was an intense rivalry.

Well, South Carolina had no obligation to play Georgia before entering the SEC which they did play a lot of games so that would indicate the two universities might think it is a rivalry. Far as ACC that was before my time, but with the exception of clemson, my father talked about North Carolina a lot so I guess that was an intense rivalry.
It was more of a rivalry than our games with Georgia. It came to be more about basketball, but we blew that up in 1971.

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
For most of our history, we were a convenient OOC team from a major conference that they could count on usually beating. There was little real respect.

Louisiana State (1982 and 1987 Gator)
Missouri once (1979 Hall of Fame bowl)

Since joining the SEC, South Carolina has played Georgia, Kentucky and Missouri every season and sporadically played Louisiana State and Mississippi.

Georgia
Kentucky
Missouri.
Good info. I think some of the permanent opponent stuff will be used to preserve other natural rivalries like Auburn/Georgia and Tennessee/Alabama.

Based on that I could see us getting Tennessee, Kentucky and Missouri. Georgia may be in there but they also may need to align Georgia with someone else. I could also see Arkansas since we came into the conference at the same time and they don’t have a ton of natural rivalries in the SEC and actually have more of a history with Texas and Oklahoma.

It worked great for FSU for a long time; it's about to start working again.
When Florida State joined the ACC, they won their first 30 conference games (three and half football seasons) before their first loss. Also, the Seminoles won the ACC nine straight years beginning with their inaugural season in the ACC. The Cheats in Cheatville has not accomplished that yet.

There was a few times that Florida State would destroy the Cheats. Great times.

Reactions: king ward
Good info. I think some of the permanent opponent stuff will be used to preserve other natural rivalries like Auburn/Georgia and Tennessee/Alabama.

Based on that I could see us getting Tennessee, Kentucky and Missouri. Georgia may be in there but they also may need to align Georgia with someone else. I could also see Arkansas since we came into the conference at the same time and they don’t have a ton of natural rivalries in the SEC and actually have more of a history with Texas and Oklahoma.
Yeah, I know everybody not gonna get what they want. I just do not like to see Georgia being paired with Kentucky When Tennessee is a way bigger rival to Georgia and closer. I hope the setup of the three permanent opponents is a not a way to try and get two or more SEC teams to the college football playoffs each year.

Yeah, I know everybody not gonna get what they want. I just do not like to see Georgia being paired with Kentucky When Tennessee is a way bigger rival to Georgia and closer. I hope the setup of the three permanent opponents is a not a way to try and get two or more SEC teams to the college football playoffs each year.
The other thing I thought of is if we have an East/West set up instead of pods, then we likely end up with permanent opponents further away. In that scenario I think we will get Arkansas, Missouri and Texas A & M.

Missouri bc of the dumb battle of Columbia. Arkansas bc they came in at the same time as us so we’re probably the program they’re most connected to in the East. Texas A & M has already been a permanent opponent so I could see that continuing.

The bad part about that East/West scenario is the schedule would be loaded with Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, Alabama, Auburn….and that would be before you factor in western rotations.

No one is connecting the dots but I do believe the expanded SEC is going to lead to the end of the Carolina-Clemson game. I don’t see how it continues with a 9 game SEC schedule.

Georgia already has two teams that HAVE to be perennial opponents in Auburn and Florida. You can only have so many. The playoffs are going to 12 teams in '24. Getting two SEC teams in there ain't gonna be any problem any year. This ain't gonna be about worry over getting teams into the playoffs. Traditional rivalries will trump that, and USC doesn't have any in the SEC that MUST be preserved.

Georgia already has two teams that HAVE to be perennial opponents in Auburn and Florida. You can only have so many. The playoffs are going to 12 teams in '24. Getting two SEC teams in there ain't gonna be any problem any year. This ain't gonna be about worry over getting teams into the playoffs. Traditional rivalries will trump that, and USC doesn't have any in the SEC that MUST be preserved.
Yeah, you are right about there will be a minimum having two SEC teams in the college football playoffs. That was dumb thinking when I typed that statement. I still must complain about Florida. They cancel the Florida and Louisiana State (that was Florida one permanent opponent) rivalry so Florida can play South Carolina or Oklahoma?

If it is an East-West division set up then it is likely those two would be in the new Eastern division with Georgia. If they go pods it might be more tricky which is why I think in the end there will be two divisions still.

If it is an East-West division set up then it is likely those two would be in the new Eastern division with Georgia. If they go pods it might be more tricky which is why I think in the end there will be two divisions still.
There will not be divisions because divisions cannot accommodate the stated goal of quicker rotation through conference opponents.

The other thing I thought of is if we have an East/West set up instead of pods, then we likely end up with permanent opponents further away. In that scenario I think we will get Arkansas, Missouri and Texas A & M.

Missouri bc of the dumb battle of Columbia. Arkansas bc they came in at the same time as us so we’re probably the program they’re most connected to in the East. Texas A & M has already been a permanent opponent so I could see that continuing.

The bad part about that East/West scenario is the schedule would be loaded with Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, Alabama, Auburn….and that would be before you factor in western rotations.

No one is connecting the dots but I do believe the expanded SEC is going to lead to the end of the Carolina-Clemson game. I don’t see how it continues with a 9 game SEC schedule.
It will continue. We have to find two dogs to play. No FBS schools on the road. Probably no playing an ACC school in Charlotte, either. We aren't Alabama. We shouldn't put ourselves out there like that. If we play in Charlotte, we should aim no higher that East Carolina. It probably won't work out that way, but that's the way we ought to arrange things.

It will continue. We have to find two dogs to play. No FBS schools on the road. Probably no playing an ACC school in Charlotte, either. We aren't Alabama. We shouldn't put ourselves out there like that. If we play in Charlotte, we should aim no higher that East Carolina. It probably won't work out that way, but that's the way we ought to arrange things.
South Carolina will likely cancel future games with Miami and Virginia Tech. North Carolina State may be on the future schedule also. I think one of those teams they are suppose to play will be in Atlanta.

Last edited:
  • Sad
South Carolina will likely cancel future games with Miami and Virginia Tech. North Carolina State may be on the future schedule also. I think one of those teams they are suppose to play will be in Atlanta.
They won't cancel that one. Hopefully, we have a team equal to the stage, unlike the last two times we played in Atlanta.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT